News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 with 3 Unique characters  (Read 1441 times)

Offline DutchSage

• Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
1850 with 3 Unique characters
« on: November 4, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Been playing around with my Grey Knights and decided to try the following for a competitive tournament in a couple of weeks. Please let me have your thoughts:

++ HQ ++

Coteaz [10* points]
Crowe [15* points]
Belial [13* points]

++ Troops ++

10 Purifiers; 4 psycannons, 2 hammers, 4 halberds with a razorback [349 points]
3 acolytes; 3 bolters with a chimera with dozerblade [75 points]
5 Deathwing terminators; 1 apothecary with cyclone missile launcher all with storm shield and thunder hammer [265 points]

++ Heavy Support ++

Dreadnought with dual psyammo autocannons [135 points]
Dreadknight with Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword and Personal Teleporter [260 points]
Dreadknight with Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword and Personal Teleporter [260 points]

++ Fortification ++

Bastion with quad-gun [125 points]

The idea is to have coteaz join the purifiers and steal the chimera. Crowe will hop in the Razorback and the acolytes will occupy the Bastion. Then on turn 1 the Deathwing terminators will teleport in and my dreadknights shunt towards the enemy. At least that's the general tactic, of course depending on the opponent I will face.

Any constructive criticism on glaring holes, weak points would be appreciated.
"Take my advice, I don't use it anyway"

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: 1850 with 3 Unique characters
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
Seems very top heavy in HQ spending, and with so few troops you could be vulnerable to opponents targeting them heavily in objective missions...

The terminators are tought but they can only be in one place, and while purifiers are great they are as easy to kill as any other basic space marine. Remember in order to fire the quad gun you'll need to have the acolytes in base contact with it.. And they're easily targeted too.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline DutchSage

« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
Having reread the rules for the quad-gun I think I will have to rethink my strategy. Somehow I got the impression the quad-gun for a bastion followed the same rules as the emplaced weapons, meaning I could have the acolytes safely inside and firing the quad-gun.

Rereading it seems the quad-gun is still as vulnerable as it is with a defense line, so can be targeted separately as well (the whole point of the bastion was to prevent people from killing the quad-gun before it could fire on flyers).

Also I agree on the HQ heavy bit, but the only one I could see going would be Crowe and that would leave me even worse for scoring troops.

Hmmm, lots of things to mull over...

Thanks for the feedback Hymirl :D

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
The quad gun gets a good cover save up on the battlements... If you could add a good few warrior acolytes to the unit it would be pretty safe and manned pretty well. Although the aegis is cheaper and if you place objectives well, a squad gun unit can do double duty with both.

I'm not really sure which HQ you could lose. Giving up all the deathwing in favour of more GK could work, or getting rid of crowe taking the purifiers are elites purely for fighting with and spending points on another henchmen unit might be useful... a well set up unit can be dangerous in their own right... Absurdly so if coteaz hangs out with them to use divination's super guide on plasmaguns!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Droping Crowe and the Purifiers Saves you 500pts (well, 499 and your list had one more I think).  Use that for 2x 10GKSS/2PC and a rhino.  you might still have enough for PBA on the squad Coteaz is to join.  Surely 10 GKSS can put more hurt on the just crow!?!  Buckets of dice, buckets...

Furthermore, If you swapped out the Bastion for a Aegis you can keep the quad gun, and grab another half dozen naked acolytes to go to ground behind it.  9 Acolytes with a 2++ save (when not sniping flyers) are pretty tough to root out...

Same list; more figs.  should do well (I'd think)

EDIT: unless I've missed the point and you're intent was to build a list with three characters and deal with the consequences?
« Last Edit: November 5, 2012, 03:07:32 PM by Colonel Twisting Shadow »
Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...

Offline DutchSage

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
Since there was a lot of good points made I went back to the drawing board and looked to improve my list taking in the different suggestions as best I could while keeping the army feel similar. So this is what I came up with:

++ HQ ++

Coteaz [10* points]
Inquisitor; psyker and 3 servo-skulls [64 points]
Belial [13* points]

++ Elites ++

10 Purifiers; 4 psycannons, 2 hammers, 4 halberds [298 points]

++ Troops ++

10 Grey Knights; 2 psycannon, justicar with mastercrafted halberd and psybolt ammo [250 points]
3 acolytes; 3 bolters with a chimera [70 points]
3 acolytes; 3 bolters [15 points]
5 Deathwing terminators; 1 apothecary with cyclone missile launcher all with storm shield and thunder hammer [265 points]

++ Heavy Support ++

Dreadnought with dual psyammo autocannons [135 points]
Dreadknight with Heavy Incinerator [160 points]

++ Fortification ++

Aegis Defense Line with quad-gun [100 points]

Since I submitted the list already for an upcoming tournament I won't be able to switch things around for that one.
So I'm looking for what you feel the major pitfalls will be, or rather of what you yourself would take advantage off to win against a list like the one I posted. Additionally any general comments on the list are helpful as well for future games.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
I think the extra GK will help you a lot, while they might have less combat muscle they shoot just as good as purifiers pretty much. I would be interested to hear how you do, are you in the habit of writing battle reports? I find it quite fun on occasion.

How would i fight it? I'd probably look at blasting the chimera (realistically its the easiest first blood target most the time) and then targeting the heavy support as they're the biggest theat. The deathwing put out missiles but are too tough to bother with unit huge amounts of basic firepower can be poured into them. You may want to watch out for people trying to distract them or keep them occupied with something that doesn't help the mission much.