News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So, we got a new codex  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Re: So, we got a new codex
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
Read it's special rules under "Feeder Organisms", it gets more attacks on the charge.  plus the attack for charging, and hammer of wrath.  A tail biomorph can push that up a bit too.

Also, when I refer to it as a terror weapon, what I really mean is something that will either draw an inordinate amount of attention to itself or else make hash of the enemy battleplan.  I think the Haurospex can do both.

Rapacious Hunger: Only when it charges and only from his regular attacks.  Hammer of wrath and the tail biomorph don't help with it.  Its just eh. 

On the charge you'll, on average, get another 1.7 attacks which half will hit, 0.83 hits, and will cause 0.7 wounds.  Whoop di do....

If it was every turn, then yeah, I'd go for that because odds are you'll get a good round.  But only when it charges?  I think opponents will either stay away from it, or just charge it to get rid of its bonuses. 

Does make me ask a question though.  Do the hammer of wrath and tail attacks trigger its Feeder-beast special rule?  I think it does because I can't find anything that says it doesn't.

As a distraction?  That MIGHT work, but there's still nothing extraordinary about it to make it last.  People have answers to Riptides and Wraithknights; both are much harder to kill then any nid MC so I really don't see any one nid lasting too long.  Maybe the t-fex....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:53:59 PM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 01:15:40 AM »
I see no reason why HoW and tail attacks wouldn't trigger the Feeder Beast rule since they occur in the assault phase same as the normal attacks.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »
I am sure they do work for the feeder beast rule (which is regaining wounds one) but not on rapacious hunger (which is the extra attacks one) because it specifically says so. GW were actually quite clear with some rules for a change :D
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:21 AM »
Having seen someone on the receiving end of a mawloc attack, I can honestly say these things are now insanely good.

Firstly they got a points break nearly as big as a carnifex, but it was watching one attack a big crusader squad that realky underscored how ******* deadly they are. Deep struck right in the centre, and killed six marines. Second attack (that's new!) Killed three more and a neophyte. The sword brother was still alive, so it's a mishap..... but wait! What is the most likely mishap? Yup, it's "delayed", which puts the mawloc back in reserve, allowing the bloody thing to do it again next turn and finish off the shattered remains of the unit..

Shai-hulud!
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Halollet

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
Having seen someone on the receiving end of a mawloc attack, I can honestly say these things are now insanely good.

Firstly they got a points break nearly as big as a carnifex, but it was watching one attack a big crusader squad that realky underscored how ******* deadly they are. Deep struck right in the centre, and killed six marines. Second attack (that's new!) Killed three more and a neophyte. The sword brother was still alive, so it's a mishap..... but wait! What is the most likely mishap? Yup, it's "delayed", which puts the mawloc back in reserve, allowing the bloody thing to do it again next turn and finish off the shattered remains of the unit..

Shai-hulud!

That's good to hear! Now I want one! :p

Speaking of success stories does anyone else have a tale to tell about something new working out?  With all the boos that have been thrown at this new codex, some glimmers of hope would be good to hear!

Anyone have any fun with broodlords yet?  I've been snowed in and have yet to play a game :(
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
One tactic I pulled years ago to great success was the Chitinous Phalanx.  Our last codex priced it out of usefulnes, but perhaps now...

Hive Tyrants + Carnifex broods up front.
Genestealer waves behind
(maybe add some Venomthropes in the back?)

Build a wall, shoulder to shoulder with the MCs, and hide the Stealers behind.  You'll start dropping MCs, but should be able to fill the gaps.  Since Carnies come in broods now, even gaps in the line aren't neccissarily disasterous.  By the time you're out of monsterous critters, you should be delivering Genestealers directly into close combat, possibly without overwatch as you had scarier things in the front rank tanking them.

Not a pretty tactic, and it's essentially a sacrifice play with the most expensive models.  still, could be worth a try.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #46 on: February 5, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »
The new codex is utterly, laughably awful, and lazy to boot. They learned almost nothing from the last one, and compounded the errors in many ways. I've had a good long look through it and refuse to spend my money on such dreck. Although it was obviously unconnected there is something humorously ironic about the fact that GW's stock dropped by almost 25% shortly after this book was released, because it is probably worse than the Tomb Kings book.

Unless my opponents are willing to allow me to use the 5th ed codex (never thought I'd miss it...) or even better the 4th ed one with some tweaks, I no longer play Tyranids. Sad clown is very, very sad.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #47 on: February 5, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
It certainly is a copy/paste codex and lacks any flare IMO.  Hardly has anything new and I am pissed about not having spores.  I think the reason for that is that GW could not make a good looking drop pod to make it worth making/marketing.  So, essentially, its the same codex.  Yeah, they made it a hard back!  That was worth it right!?

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #48 on: February 5, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »
It certainly is a copy/paste codex and lacks any flare IMO.  Hardly has anything new and I am pissed about not having spores.  I think the reason for that is that GW could not make a good looking drop pod to make it worth making/marketing.  So, essentially, its the same codex.  Yeah, they made it a hard back!  That was worth it right!?

I heard from reliable sources on other sites that we lost spores as a result of the ruling in the Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #49 on: February 8, 2014, 10:15:17 PM »
I played against Tyranids for the first time in probably over a decade this afternoon. 1850 pts. I won the game thanks to seizing the initiative and then getting First Blood. I don't think their codex is bad, at all. I'm lucky to have won, it's one of the closest games I've had in a long time.

Guants with Devourers are half the points of a Marine, and each fire 3 shots? I'm not sure if that was something old or not, but holy crap. Throw a handful of the cheaper Spine Fist guys in the front and you're laughing off casualties, while laying down unsurpassed volume of fire from a Troops choice. I mean, what other troops cost so little and can fire so many shots from one model? Guardsmen with Lasguns, that get an Order from an Officer [similar to a "Blessing" psychic power] is the only thing I can think of.

On top of that, by shuffling broods of multi-wound models around, you can put a couple of wounds on this guy, shuffle the next forward so he starts taking wounds... oh, let's move the third guy forward to take the hits now. I can't think of any army that has that kind of resiliency [take damage, but still maintain damage output] built into so many models.

A pair of Carnifex that hit a vehicle are going to wipe it out. Like, "D" weapon type efficiency, even vs a Land Raider.

All of the psychic powers are useful, in a TAC kind of way.

All of the Warlord traits are useful, in a TAC kind of way.

I'm told that Warriors can be made to outflank. Shrikes are "jump" warriors that lose a bit on their armour save, but gain incredible mobility. Even jumping into cover is not that frightening, since they are multi-wound models, and wounds can be spread around your squad. A Mawloc that "misses" is still a big, scary MC that people need to focus upon right next to their unit. That increases the survival rate of incoming "slow" MC's.

Yes, Eldar can hurt your MC with their shurikens. But they have to get close to use them, and that's not so bad for Nids. They might get one, but they aren't going to get them all.

There are enough heavy hitters, blended with lots of horde wounds, mixed with disruption units, some fast bully units to pin enemy units, tied together with entirely useful psychic powers... Yes, they have a tough time when facing a lot of vehicles, but they always have. With missions forcing players out of their deployment zones, getting to grips with them has never been easier, even on a long board like Hammer and Anvil.

To the people that are down on the codex, I must encourage you to try it out. Hit all of the points above, and I think you'll have an effective army on your hands. I don't agree that the Nids have been given a raw deal, I think they just require a wide selection of units to succeed on the table top.

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #50 on: February 8, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »

Carnifexen are very nice now for the Fexstar unit with the drop in cost.

Tyranid Prime and 3 Fexen put out 36 S6 shots and 3 S5 shots advancing (if they get Onslaught look out). That is 450 for the Fexen and 125 for your synapse Prime. Those are TL shots as well. This is a great unit. I have tested dual Fexstar at 1750 with some success. It is a tough list. I run eighty gants with it and zoan in quad gun bastion and venomthrope, etc. Sure I can lose when the dice go bad but with half decent rolls the list is tough to handle. I tried the Fexstar in the last codex as well and was not unhappy with it I'm a little peeved Primes went up in cost but meh, I want to use them for synapse and for my obligatory HQ. I can live with it. So those knocking the new codex should also be aware that first day at the LVO tournament three Nid lists went undefeated. I would not be knocking Nids so fast.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Halollet

« Reply #51 on: February 9, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
I played my nids against GBT yesterday and here's what I've learned.

Broods of fexes are awesome, that 1d3 per fex HoW hits are just brutal and I kept one fex alive with 1 wound for 2 turns because the healthy one was up front.

Warriors are as resilient as I thought they would be, I still had 4 out of 6 of them by the end of the game, there was too much other stuff that was more dangerous that he had to fire his big guns at.

Zoans really are meh.  Maybe other people had better luck with them, but they never really do much for me.  I had a perfect shot with the warp blast at a charging hellhound and the thing resisted the witch.... They're okay, but they will be the first thing I cut should I need the points for something else.

Regeneration is okay because opponents would either ignore it, or focus fire on it to basically wipe it out.  Although on T-fexs, Tervigons, and Haruspex I can see it being worth it.

Foot slogging sucks.  GBT had a nice little corner in the back where he sat the hole game and I couldn't touch him.  Mind you, if I had biovores or a mawloc then that would be a different story.  I think I might proxy 2 biovores for my next list.

I'm annoyed that there's no way to up the resilience of any nid other then to take regeneration.  Had a thought though, if a flyer is next to a venomthrope and does  its jink, wouldn't that be a 3+ save?

Exocrines are very interesting.  Really nasty shooting, I definitely went for the multishot more then the pie plate.

I wasn't able to test out the Horror power too much because everyone outside of a tank was too far away.  Still going to bring a brood of stealers.

I'm trying of to think of ways to get across the board.  Any thoughts?  Because Emperors' Will with a Hammer and Anvil setup is brutal.

The other thing I've noticed about nids is that they can really spam pie plates.

A few questions about Spore Mines.

I'm thinking of taking 2-3 clusters of them since my fast attack choices are wide open. 
1) If they deep strike on an enemy, then do they mishap and not explode?
2) Am I correct in that spore mines have to get into assault, past overwatch, in order to explode?
3) If the above 2 are correct, would it best then to use full size clusters?
4) Are they a half decent substitute for biovores if you are hard pressed for heavy support choices?

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #52 on: February 9, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »

Zoans are not used for their warp blast ( although there is nothing wrong woth warp blast). They are there for synapse, catalyst, onslaught and they should be manning a gun in a bastion or redoubt. We have two choices with Nids. Go for a very fast list or walk up the board with a very tough list. Foot slogging lists can work. You just need three turns before you start putting the heat on your opponent. So lots of T6 MCs for sure. Spore clusters work the way you wrote it. Of course you want 6. That is how you get a S9 blast. Biovores sit in their own unique niche. Against some lists they are rgeat and against others, meh. We have a lot of good HS units. HS is very crowded.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Ironhide

• To survive war, you've got to become war.
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Chaos Marines
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 11:46:37 AM »
Hey there Nid players,

Although I am not a Nid player, I have played against them a few times as they're my regular opponent's favourite army and I have yet to win a game against them, and I thought that you may like to see what its like to be facing the Nids and maybe see how strong they can be even with the new Codex.

We regularly play 1500 points, depending how we feel (and I can't go over 1500 points yet)

I'm playing Dark Angels,

Belial, 10 Deathwing with 5 Thunderhammer + Stormshield, Assault Cannon, Cyclone Missile Launcher

1 level 2 Librarian in Terminator armour

5 Tactical Marines Veteran Sergeant, 4 boltguns x2

5 Devestators 3 Missile Launchers inc Flakk Missiles, 1 Lascannon

5 Devestators 4 Plasma Cannons

1 Predator w TL lascannon and Heavy Bolters

1 Landspeeder Typhoon

My mate takes 30 strong units of Termagaunts and Hormanants, and a Tervigon regularly. I have found that, although the models, individually die quite easily, the fact that there is so many of them, means that they can soak up a lot of damage and tar pit my Deathwing. The Tervigon, just replaces everything that's been killed anyway, so all you're doing is wading through one tar pit to find yourself facing another! Yes, I can deep strike Belial and 10 Deathwing into his DZ and the cheapest fellas he has access to usually wear them down and kill them off, with the number of attacks that they can make.

My army's concentrated heavy fire power does not always take out the big bad fellas in a hurry (though it does knock them down) and so they are able to regenerate wounds, al be it one per turn, so that's usually 1 turn of an army's
Heavy Firepower and 1 or 2 units shooting at it in turn 2- unless you've got split fire, 1 Lascannon shot killing it, is enough, cos then the Missile Launcher's can't target a different unit.

My mate also takes an Exocrine regularly as well as a Crone and/or a Mawloc, the Exocrine is nasty for its Heavy weapon being able to move AND shoot in the same turn, unlike a Marine Vindicator, so that is a bullet magnet and does not always fall, especially in the 1st turn (it also takes more hits to kill it that a Vindicator does), so it pretty much always gets to use its gun.

Mawloc is nasty, as you can't do anything to it until it shows up and when it shows up, you pretty much have lost something to its attack.

Deathleaper's pretty nasty, as we only have the ability to snap fire at him.

Hope that helps you all when thinking what you want to do with your armies.
Kill For Gain Or Shoot To Maim, We Don't Need A Reason. Iron Maiden "2 Minutes To Midnight"

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 02:07:52 AM »
Okay... got a game myself against my flatmate's new wych cult. 1500 points, 3x30 flesborer gaunts, and 5 tervigons with adrenal glands.

It was pretty one sided due to bad tactics and missed opportunities from me.

Highlight points codex-wise:
The Horror is awesome. Two of my five tervigons rolled it and pinned down three units at key moments in the game. Actually reliable pinning is awesome, and a couple of 5 strong stealer broods with broodlords is tempting just for the havoc the can cause. Sadly you can't pin troops in an assault vehicle, or bikes (who can't go to ground). Which was a shame, as 9 reavers caltroped two tervigons into borscht  with a single pass each..

Psychic Scream, by comparison can get knotted. I managed to use it with three enemy units in nova range, rolled an average 7 on my dice each time, against dark eldar who are not an especially high ld army -  and did nothing. Not a single wound. Dominion it is.

Adrenal glands will be coming out of the list. Fleet is nice but not nice enough not to just sit behind a termagant skirmish screen and get a cover save. Trying tervigons ahead of the line due to fleet and spawn-after-move was stupid and doesn't work.

Devourers are awesome. The number of times I was fractionally out of range or didn't quite wipe out a unit was annoying, and a 40 point "submachinegun section" in each brood can resolve this at bargain price - and add masses of overwatch to make up for the loss of counterattack.

Finally - realized afterwards - my army is now illegal. Tervigons are no longer characters,  and your warlord must be a character - and he's compulsory. Bugger.

Termagants are much less effective in assault. I admit that with poison and counterattack, we were spoiled, but now they get neither (all right, still technically counterattack but at ld6 who cares?). Expect to lose a lot more warm bodies.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685