News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500 Point Tau List, Friendly Games/Semi-Competitive, C&C  (Read 6222 times)

Offline RapierSix2587

• For The Greater Good
  • Armies: Tau Empire
500 Point Tau List, Friendly Games/Semi-Competitive, C&C
« on: February 5, 2014, 09:42:24 PM »
Hello again everyone, I swear I'm on this site everyday looking for new posts to read, haha!

I am playing some games this weekend with a few mates (Ultramarines, Grey Knights, and Dark Eldar), so we decided on 500 points so we can play a few games in preparation for a game they have (2 of them are in a tournament for 500 points, so yeah) anyways, I was hoping you could look over this and tell me what you think, and I am trying to build and all comers list as this will be my 500 point army for most games this size, and no, I am not planning on beating the DE player, he is better then me a million times over and his army is a b***t to kill! So I have already given up against him (however I will be hunting his Archon as so far ever game against him my Railside has headshot him and killed him every game, haha!). So here is my list, let me know what you think and please C&C the f**k out of it, haha!

Oh, btw I'm using Farsight Enclaves for this (my army is built around a theme of the survivors of the Damocles war, so yeah, don't hate me if your a purist).

HQ

Commander Kais w/ 2 Plasma Rifles

TROOPS

3 XV8 Crisis Suits - Helios Pattern (Fusion Blaster/Plasma Rifle)

3 XV8 Crisis Suits - Fire-Knife Pattern (Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle)

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 Broadside w/ Heavy Rail Rifle & TL Plasma Rifles

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 500 Point Tau List, Friendly Games/Semi-Competitive, C&C
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
I see the theme and think it's cool, but I don't think you're bringing enough bodies to the fight. 500 point matches are really about whoever can bring the weight of fire and the most guys. I'd trade in at least one of those units of Suits for a big fat unit of Firewarriors.

Also, my comments regarding the efficacy of fireknife and helios suits from an earlier thread still stands. Double up on weapons, don't mix.

Final note: how many Terminators do you expect to face? You're really loading up on the plasma here, and I wonder how necessary it is. I'd personally take the SMS on the Broadside and I've found Stealth Suits are fantastic buys in games of 1000 points or less. Of course, if the Grey Knight player is going to show up with two units of termies and a HQ and the Space Marines plan to deepstrike termies in your face, then I guess extra plasma may pay off. Were I you, I'd load up on pulse fire and missile pods and let the laws of probability do my work for me.

Offline RapierSix2587

• For The Greater Good
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
From experience and what I know of the GK player he will either bring his Strike Squad spam, or his Terminators, and for the space marine player is normally (at this point level) 1 tactical squad with Rhino, a 5 man Assault Squad, a Librarian, and Scouts I think, so Plasma will help a lot.

I am thinking of running the Helios suits as Plasma only, that's why I asked, but the Fire-Knives have always done the job I set them for, Jump out of cover and destroy a transport, the jump back, next turn jump forward and Rapid Fire them to death, it has work every time.

I was thinking SMS but the meta where I am is mainly SM type armies, so Plasma works better, and I do have 3 Broadsides (Missileside configs) and 3 Railtides, so yeah, I just prefer the Railtide at this level as he is my long range meltagun of sorts, and to make a 10 man Tactical squad foot slog the entire board (if I get first turn) is just too good to give up.

But in essence, Im stacking up on all the AP 1 and AP 2 guns I can so I will beat the opponents squads/models/units on the first or second volley, without worrying about Armour Saves, know what I mean? Causes I've had 12 Fire Warriors fire at a SM squad and only 2 Tactical's die, but my triple Plasma always kills at least 4, guaranteed (Im good with my dice) but yeah

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
From experience and what I know of the GK player he will either bring his Strike Squad spam, or his Terminators, and for the space marine player is normally (at this point level) 1 tactical squad with Rhino, a 5 man Assault Squad, a Librarian, and Scouts I think, so Plasma will help a lot.

Pulse weapons en masse can handle 3+ saves just fine, assuming you bring enough of it. Plasma is really only essential against large numbers of 2+ saves.

I am thinking of running the Helios suits as Plasma only, that's why I asked, but the Fire-Knives have always done the job I set them for, Jump out of cover and destroy a transport, the jump back, next turn jump forward and Rapid Fire them to death, it has work every time.

Deathrains would kill transports much better than Fireknives, for the record. Double plasma on the Helios would be superior, also, since you probably won't need fusion blasters for much.

I was thinking SMS but the meta where I am is mainly SM type armies, so Plasma works better, and I do have 3 Broadsides (Missileside configs) and 3 Railtides, so yeah, I just prefer the Railtide at this level as he is my long range meltagun of sorts, and to make a 10 man Tactical squad foot slog the entire board (if I get first turn) is just too good to give up.

Just to be clear, the odds of a railside one-shotting a rhino are about 19%, assuming it's in the open without cover. Odds are better with Deathrains or missile sides.

But in essence, Im stacking up on all the AP 1 and AP 2 guns I can so I will beat the opponents squads/models/units on the first or second volley, without worrying about Armour Saves, know what I mean? Causes I've had 12 Fire Warriors fire at a SM squad and only 2 Tactical's die, but my triple Plasma always kills at least 4, guaranteed (Im good with my dice) but yeah

Granted, plasma does kill more elites than pulse. The drawback, though, is that your plasma is exclusively mounted on insta-killable, 6-wound units. This makes me uneasy, since you're a couple S8 shooting attacks away from having no army (the Dark Eldar, in particular, will be pleased with this). You're putting together a one-trick pony list. I'd recommend something with a bit more balance and variation, is all.

Offline RapierSix2587

• For The Greater Good
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2014, 11:27:54 PM »

Pulse weapons en masse can handle 3+ saves just fine, assuming you bring enough of it. Plasma is really only essential against large numbers of 2+ saves.

True, but it is a themed list, we had to keep true to there tournament rules, that and I've never had luck with Fire Warriors without a Cadre, so yeah, Plasma has always worked out better then me, bar the bigger games when I take 12 FW with a Fireblade, now that is a great combo!

Deathrains would kill transports much better than Fireknives, for the record. Double plasma on the Helios would be superior, also, since you probably won't need fusion blasters for much.

And yes, Deathrains would kill transports better, but Plasma works better on the occupants then 2 extra missile pod shots, especially in my meta with 3 out of 4 players being Space Marines, so missiles to pop there metal boxes, then Plasma to cut them down, and why use Deathrains when I normally run 3 Missilesides?

Just to be clear, the odds of a railside one-shotting a rhino are about 19%, assuming it's in the open without cover. Odds are better with Deathrains or missile sides.

True, very true, but on a 4x6 board a Railgun will be in range for the first 2 turns, and it will do damage within 2 turns, Missilesides are great, don't get me wrong, but there range isn't great enough, I have the Fire-Knives to take up the middle ground with there Missile Pods using the Railtide purely to target Armour and HQ's

Granted, plasma does kill more elites than pulse. The drawback, though, is that your plasma is exclusively mounted on insta-killable, 6-wound units. This makes me uneasy, since you're a couple S8 shooting attacks away from having no army (the Dark Eldar, in particular, will be pleased with this). You're putting together a one-trick pony list. I'd recommend something with a bit more balance and variation, is all.

The SM player has no S8 stuff.. I don't think at least.. Not long range at least, bar the one Missile Launcher he has in his Scout Squad, the Grey Knights just have Pysbolts on his Strikes, so nothing to worry about from there bar Powers, and the Dark Eldar guy runs Venom Spam.. And I hate Venom Spam.. So much..

Removed some posted stats to comply with the forum rules. To be fair, it's a very minor case, but please be careful in future. --Koval
« Last Edit: February 7, 2014, 02:41:06 AM by Koval, Master Verispex »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Well, you know your metagame better than I, of course, so good luck.

Your enemies are a little bonkers, though, not to run a modicum of S8 shooting if they know Tau are going to be in the mix. Instakilling suits is the best way to kill suits.

Offline RapierSix2587

• For The Greater Good
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2014, 03:49:09 AM »
To be fair.. I wasn't aware that the DE player decided to just bring Eldar instead and he used some Artillery piece on me.. Took out 6 suits before I silenced it, and the GK player bought lots of hammers.. So yeah..

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »
So I take it that things went poorly?