News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Snipers - WOrth it?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
Re: Snipers - WOrth it?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 05:14:35 PM »
The thing about Eldar snipers is that they have a 1-in-6 chance of ignoring armor saves.  None of the IG snipers have that. - and it is armour that prevents snipers from being very effective against the big baddies.

Here's a little comparison - average number of unsaved wounds inflicted in one shooting phase.  BTW, 10 ratling snipers and a lascannon heavy weapon squad cost exactly the same number of points:

Target                                    Stat upgrades                                    10 Ratlings                      3 Lascannons
Wraithlord                                                                                                  1.39                                  1.00
Carnifex                                       T7 2+ sv                                               0.69                                  1.25
                                                      T7 3+ sv                                               1.39                                  1.25
Carnifex/Tyrant                          T6 2+ sv                                                0.69                                  1.25
                                                        - with 6+ inv                                        0.69                                  1.04
                                                       T6 3+ sv                                               1.39                                  1.25
                                                         - with 6+ inv                                       0.69                                  1.04

Some trends: the lower the save, the better the lascannon does vs. the sniper rifle.  As well, the effectiveness of the lascannons drops if the target has an invulnerable/cover save.

Given these numbers, Ratlings do have a role against 3+ sv baddies.  Against 2+, however, you might was well leave them at home.  Personally, although the lascannons are easier to kill, I would sooner take them, as they are far better against vehicles and they can be used to autokill some of the smaller multi-wound cretures.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 06:09:22 PM »
Well, ratlings aren't really supposed to be a replacement for your AT squads. Snipers have other uses too, like being able to fire at infantry (bad idea with lascannons) and can pin enemy units.

Face it, lascannons and snipers have different roles on the battlefield, their roles just overlap when it comes to monstrous creatures.

Offline 0verKill_235

• Greasing tank treads with xeno filth since 2005.
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 10:43:11 PM »
My epxeriences with Rattlings has been pretty positive in the shooting department (hand to hand is obviously another story). One game with Tau and Gaurd (Me) vs. Necron and Nids, my 5 man Rattling Squad was in a bunker dealing pain to the Necrons and utilising their 2+ cover during all six turns losing only 2 out of the five. In one game against my buddies Nurgle, my Rats killed three outta 10 plauge bearers in Hand to Hand. Yes they were massacred, but stalled em long enough so my heavy bolter crew coulld take position. So Rattlings, are a stape in my army being cheep and having the 2+ cover save. And its best to keep snipers seperate from the line platoons so they can close the distance while assult enemy positions. And it frees up space in your squads for other special weapons.
Death before Dismount!