News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tzeench army  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
Tzeench army
« on: July 27, 2002, 02:19:27 PM »
I was considering starting a Tzeench army but the no assult rle for Thousand Sons kind of made me back off.  I don't want to use demons do to the fact that you never know when they will show up.  Has anyone had any luck with this kind of army?  What are your opinions.

If I do make the army it wold be all Thousand Son troops, Thousand Son Terminators, Exalted Champion, and Dreadnoughts.  Every model in the army would have at least two wounds.  Combined with the rule that only strength 5 and up shots effect them they would be around for a while.  The Terminators are just plain impossble to kill.  2 wounds, 2+ sav, and 5+ inv sav :o.  This would be a very shooty army because of slow and purposeful rule, no assult, and heavy firepower dreadnoughts.  Any comments? ;D

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
Re:Tzeench army
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 08:38:04 PM »
Well, I first recommend that if you're going to just field those units, that you use the Thousand Sons army list from their Index Astartes list, and it gives you access to some very cool stuff (like the free sorcerer).

Thousand Sons are still just as good in close combat as a regular Space Marine, except they can't charge. So what? Sit back and shoot the hell out of your enemies with bolter fire, backed up with amazing psychic weaponry (bolt of change, flames of tzeentch, etc.). It's a shooty army...if you're not comfortable with that, then just play Undivided and field some Thousand Sons -- or play another Chaos power.

Yes, they're a tough army to beat down...but remember that in close combat they can still be cut down, and that heavy weapons will be brought to bear on them.

Offline Arzetch

• "Fear the Stone Crawler"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 03:22:04 AM »
they will be littel outnubred though. but's that what you have to count on if you fielding a cult army. but a tzeench army would look really cool and I like sorceres, and have you seen the new models to tzeench? when you have you will go tzeentch :)

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 03:18:32 PM »
I was already planning on using the army list from the Index.  Units of nine models get th free sorcerer upgrade.  Give the sorcerer the psychic power for 24' S8 AP2 and he can fire right with the Thou Sons.  Also the dreanought has to have Demonic Possesion gift which makes it more effective, and the gift only cost 25 points compared to the normal 50 points.  Goodby Crew Shaken and Stunned.  I am not sure what weapons to give my dreadnought.  Any comments.  I'm thinking Lascannon.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 07:56:08 PM »
Not only does the Daemonic Possession keep the Dreadnought safe from 'Crew Shaken' and 'Crew Stunned', it also means that the Dreadnought will NEVER Fire Frenzy. So for 25 points you can secure your troops from the friendly fire of the Dreadnought. For that reason, I recommend giving it a plasma cannon. The reason I recommend this is because the Bolt of Change (24" S8 AP2 Assault1) and the Flame of Tzeentch (48" S9 AP2 Heavy1) are powerful enough for taking out almost any armor, and the powerfists on your Terminators should be good for that too. In addition, plasma cannons are great for taking out ANY troops (especially Space Marines and those pesky Necrons!), and even light vehicles as well. Most importantly, with no fear of Fire Frenzy, you won't have to worry about the plasma cannon frying your own Chaos Space Marines' power armor (AP 2 will get you every time!).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2002, 07:56:48 PM by SparqMan »

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2002, 12:10:49 PM »
I haven't decided yet how to equip my champion.  My thinking jump pack with lightning claws, melta bombs, and a psychic power (probobly wind).  This way he can quickly get into close combat with whatever thousand son unit that is being assulted.  Any other ideas?

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2002, 04:38:35 PM »
That's the way I was figuring my Champion would be, Dark Nick...but since I'm waiting for the new Chaos codex, there is no point in doing so. Who knows what kind of skills, wargear and gifts will be available in the end?

Also, I'd like to point out that, again, that Thousand Sons are just as good as standard Space Marines with bolters in close combat. They still have S4 & T4, they still have I4 and a 3+ armor save -- they just can't assault. Oh well! I'd recommend that you give your lord Wind of Chaos as well as Bolt of Change if you're giving him a jump pack. Why not have the ability to pop an armored vehicle while on the fly?

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 10:27:08 AM »
I think thats a good idea.  I already converted a chaos lord with lightning claws and a jumppack.  He looks really cool.  I'm sure I probobly won't use him though since 'm waiting on the new Thousand Son models.  I'm sure there will be some nice wargear and models for chaos lords.  I decided not to use the wind, but give him the power that causes a pinning test and gives you 50vp.  His jumpack wil let him use it on as many units as possible.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2002, 12:14:55 AM »
The Twisting Path is a good power, but be careful with it. It's useless against Fearless units, and difficult against armies with high Leadership values. It also isn't much good in games where Victory Points don't matter. I recommend choosing your psychic powers depending on the army you're facing -- it's not as if you need to model the psychic powers for WYSIWYG. =)

Also, remember that if your Sorcerer Lord is bopping around with his jumppack, that he is a target. The enemy can pick him to be the recipient of a squad's worth (or more) of firepower because he'll be alone.

If you're playing a Codex army, I'd recommend a squad of Raptors to add some much needed mobility to your army. Then place the jumppack Lord with the Raptor unit (give the Raptor Aspiring Champion the Mark of Tzeentch and the Bolt of Change), and watch as the combined firepower of the Lord and Champ's psychic powers and the unit's plasma weapons go to town on even the hardest enemies.

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2002, 09:52:59 AM »
I decided not to take the Twisting Path power.  Since the models are so expensive point wise, it would be better to spend those points elsewere.  It is not as important as say the BOLT.  I'm going with the army from the index.  I would rather have all the sorcerers with the bolt and no fire frenzy dreadnaught then the raptors.  It is a good idea though.  If I can set up right I should be within 6 inces of a unit at all times.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2002, 08:08:20 PM »
Sounds good. Just remember it's all about deployment.

Offline Helmed Horror

• Let the sunshine In!
  • It appears I can't escape
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2002, 09:16:12 PM »
If you are going to have a bodyguard I would suggest giving the twisting path to one of the sorcerer's in there. Can you imagine a pinned unit getting force fed bolts of change? I would just like to see it happen though it would be a HUGE points cost.
Formerly Dark Sun, a long time ago.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #12 on: August 2, 2002, 10:37:19 PM »
I don't have the rules right in front of me, and I'm not Tzeentch expert (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!)...but does a unit that is Fearless still need to test? I would imagine not.

You could make a very expensive retinue in a 1K Sons army. Imagine it...the Sorcerer Lord all tricked out, plus 8 other Sorcerers all with Discs of Tzeentch...psychic powers out the wazzoo...lightning claws...sorcerer's staffs...yikes!

Offline Helmed Horror

• Let the sunshine In!
  • It appears I can't escape
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2002, 02:37:05 AM »
Well I am a Tzeentch expert and I think (just checking the magazine) that they don't need to test. If that retinue DID exsist (and not in our minds) it would be able to kill anything bar the largest squad (but then it would be more likely that you would take doom bolts instead.)
Formerly Dark Sun, a long time ago.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2002, 06:44:33 PM »
If only I could afford ArmyBuilder! The demo won't allow for that expensive of a unit. Anyone have the full version and/or a lot of time on their hands to do it on paper?

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #15 on: August 4, 2002, 01:06:13 AM »
I will give it a try and figure up the points cost.  I can already say it may be one of the most powerful units in 40k, but for sure one of the most expensive.  I think only an Ork retinue could cost more.

Offline Cheexsta

• Aksho Kharneth Akhash!
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2002, 04:25:17 AM »
yes...cant afford AB...i cant either...now wheres that 1500pt list i made today...

oh and Sparq, TS termies cant take powerfists, unless the PF is on a sorceror...
W00t for updated avatar and sig...

Footslogger World Eaters wins/losses for 2004 (>1000pts)

W: 9
D: 2
L: 6

Win rate: 53%

Tournament Skull Count: 242.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #17 on: August 4, 2002, 04:19:52 PM »
Who said anything about powerfists?

They can take anything from the wargear if you upgrade them to Sorcerors...and you can upgrade the entire unit to them. =)

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #18 on: August 5, 2002, 08:48:58 AM »
I think I decided to take everyones advice and remove the jetpack and lightning claw from my lord.  I will also change from the Bolt to the Flames giving my army a little more range.  I will however put him in Term armor so there will be no movement restrictions.  Probobly gve the flames to another sorcerer also.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #19 on: August 5, 2002, 10:53:03 AM »
<<I will however put him in Term armor so there will be no movement restrictions>>

I'm not sure if that will work. Do psychic powers get the same bonus as heavy weapons when wearing terminator armor? I imagine that it is a "Heavy 1" psychic power because the Sorceror must concentrate heavily in order to summon such a powerful and long-ranged bolt of unholy magic.

Any answers?