News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign  (Read 109654 times)

Offline Leeroy_002

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2013, 01:21:54 PM »
Underhand, what are the current rules that your group uses for the hexes representing territories in your campaign? would you do me the favor of listing them?
I am actually thinking of using them myself for an upcoming Necromunda campaign that I hope to launch after my demo on the 30th(tabletop day) at my local gaming store.  I also intend to use the CE rules because they are far better, so I won't need edited hand-flamer rules, just rules regarding initial setup,income, attacks, defends, multiples there of etc.

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
The rules we are currently using are the ones from the first post with the amendments listed on this page:  Rules for a Necromunda Campaign

I heartily recommend using the CE rules over the Living Rulebook.

Good luck with the demo and the campaign.

Post Merge: March 24, 2013, 07:01:37 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

House Bloodaxe -v- The Hand of Redemption

Another Gang Fight.

Not much to report on this one, so I'll make it quick.

Octavian deployed his guys in two groups.   He had a 5 man ranged team made up of 2 Heavy Stubbers and 3 lasgunners.  His second group was a horde equipped for close combat.  The low leadership guys were in the middle closest to his leader, the higher leadership guys towards the outside.  He didn't bother to use his tunnels, which I consider to be a mistake.

I deployed my guys in 4 groups.  My ranged team (Team Matthew) consisted of Ram and Joshua as the cannon fodder (I feel sorry for Ram getting stuck with that designation) and Jacob and Isaac.  With my aquisition  of my third Vents from last game, I could once again deploy three vent teams.  And each one brought the flames of redemption with them.

Team 1 (Mark) - Abraham, Abijah, Jemuel

Team 2  (Luke) - Josiah, Asa, Boaz

Team 3 (John) - Amon, Zohar, Esau

Turn 1

I got the first turn and took out a lasgunner and took down another lasgunner with my ranged team.

My Vent teams deployed on my left toward the right flank of the Goliath horde.

Joffrey opened up with both his Heavy Stubbers (11 shots between them) and took down Ram and Joshua. 

Turn 1: Up/Down/Out
Hand of Redemption :  11/2/0
House Bloodaxe:  15/1/1

Turn 2

Isaac took down a Goliath lasgunner.  That left the way clear for  Jacob to unload his heavy bolter on thre Goliath Heavy Stubbers, which Octavian had very unwisely left within 2" of each other.  He took down both the Goliath Heavy Stubbers.  Having one guy take out two Heavy Stubbers in a single round of shooting is probably the most destructive round of shooting it's possible to get in Necromunda.  That's like a singleblast template in a 1500pt 40k game taking out an entire Seer Council.

Zohar and Jemuel got taken down by the Goliaths overwatch fire.  The rest of my dropped down to the ground floor and ran for cover to position themselves for a charge in the next turn or two. 

Joffrey passed his bottle check and fanned his guys out to try to counterflank my guys who had already flanked his main horde.  A Goliath lasgunner recovered from pinning. 

Turn 2: Up/Down/Out
Hand of Redemption :  9/4/0
House Bloodaxe:  13/1/3

For the first time in this campaign, Abraham failed his first morale check of the game and my guys bottled out. 

I think that scoreline flattered Octavian.  The four guys who I lost were my cannon fodder.  Both of Octavian's Heavies were down.  I had the ranged advantage, and it would have been up to Octavian to make something happen, which would be difficult with all of my overwatching flamers.

Anyway, that's Necromunda.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:01:38 AM by Underhand »

Offline bsucbe

« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
Every time i read your reports i wish i could play necromunda, however no one i know around here touches wargames in general, never mind this specific one :(
Thought about online (ran a mordheim one with some success) but have been told the loss of the 3d factor is a major issue. Congrats on another great report, and hopefully Joffrey will get his cummupance with injuries or the like!

Offline spafe

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:55 AM »
Registered to comment on this thread, loving the detail of the write ups, keep them coming. Seriously makes me wish I had people near me who would be up for this sort of campagin.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes putting joffrey down for good  :D

Offline Underhand

« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
Thank you Spafe.  Gothika -v- Hand of Redemption

Joffrey attacked my Spore Cave.   Due to a combination of his reduced gang rating (only 11 girls left) and Shamora's Ratskin Map, he was once again able to pick the scenario and he picked a Raid.

I hate being raided.

A Raid is a special scenario where the Attacker turns up with his entire gang.  The Defender gets D6 guys who are hanging out in one of their home territories doing sentry work.  They are protecting a 'gateway' terrain feature that is key to the control of the territory (eg a waterstill, power reactor, entrance to a mine shaft etc).  The terrain piece is meant to be a bit smaller than a Rhino.  The goal of the attacking gang is to destroy the gateway.  The gateway is T6 with 3 wounds, which is pretty tough in Necromunda. 

Standing between the Attackers and the Gateway are D6 defending sentries.  They wander about at D6-3 inches per turn like dumbasses.  If the D6-3 roll is positive the defender gets to move them, if negative, the attacker gets to move them.  Scatter dice determine which way they face.  They have a chance to see an enemy in a 90 degree arc 2d6 inches  in front of them with modifiers for the level of cover the enemy is in.  They have a chance to spot enemy within their initiative range regardless of their facing.  If taken by surprise, Sentries fight with only half their weapon skill.  Sentry duty is not a fun job in the Underhive.

As you can no doubt imagine, Raids can get pretty ugly for the Defenders in the first few turns.  The tide turns however once (if) the alarm is sounded.

Once the alarm is sounded, the Defenders get to roll to bring on reinforcements.  The alarm can be sounded in several ways.  A Sentry can spot the attackers.  Shooting can set it off pretty.  Chainswords can also set it off.  If a Sentry survives a round of close combat he'll raise the alarm.  Even if the Sentry goes down, a fight might be heard anyway, especially if their are multiple attackers.

Once the alarm is raised, the Defenders start rolling up.  The Defender assigns his guys to groups and starts rolling D6, one roll per turn.  The smaller the group, the more likely they are to turn up.

The Defenders win if the attackers bottle out or are all taken down or out of action.  The Defenders will not bottle out and cannot bottle out voluntarily.

The raiders win if they destroy the gateway and manage to get all their surviving members off their side of the board. 

Winning a Raid as the attacker can be very hard.  In order to win, the Raiders have to not only destroy the Gateway, which is hard enough, but they have to get all their guys off their side of the board before bottling out.  Given that a ganger who goes down can only move at 2" per turn, that can take a long time, especially if the ganger goes down on the wrong side of the table.

So Raids are by no means a cake walk for the attacker to win at all, let alone by a 3/1 casualty count, so you can see why no one has selected a Raid in this campaign until now.

The reason Joffrey finally selected a Raid is because he is a bitter and twisted little amphetamine parrot, who knows he can't beat me by 3/1, and is thrashing around like a stuck piglet trying to do as much damage as he can before bleeding out.  In that sense, while I can't praise him for showing grace in the face of defeat, I can at least give him points for vidictiveness.

You see, apart from Raids being notoriously bloody affairs for the defenders (the Sentries really get served with the rough end of the chainsword), even if the Raiders don't win the fight, the Defender can still lose overall.

That's because, if the Raiders manage to destroy the Gateway (which isn't that hard this far into a campaign), regardless of the final outcome, the Defender has to roll a D6 at the end of the game.  On a 1-5, the territory is disrupted, and no income can be generated from it that turn, which sucks enough since that Spore Cave is responsible for roughly a third to a half of my income every turn.  However, if a 6 comes up, the Territory is destroyed.  As in wiped off the map.  So that's another reason no one has undertaken a Raid in this campaign - a successful attacker could lose the territory that they just won.

But what does Joffrey care? - this is his last game of the campaign either way.

What a douchebag.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:35:06 AM by Underhand »

Offline Leeroy_002

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
But what does Joffrey care? - this is his last game of the campaign either way.

What a douchebag.

By the Emperor that's a foul act of spite! I feel as though you should inform the Inquisition of his douchery, post hastily.

Offline Underhand

« Reply #306 on: April 1, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Thanks Leeroy_002

Set up

I set up first.  I placed the gateway deep on my side of the table.  If Joffrey was going to try to beslubber up my Spore Cave, he was going to lose a lot of blood doing it.

I had 4 sentries, and they weren't a bad team. - Boaz and Jemuel with flamers, Zohar (in a state of frenzy) and Asa.

In a raid, sentries have it tough.  They wander around aimlessly with an average line of sight at 7", which is slightly under the average Necromunda charge range.  They are very prone to getting gang charged and overwhelmed in close combat.  They usually get taken out of action, and that means injuries or death. 

I was lucky in that I had a good sentry team.  Boaz and Jemuel both had flamers, and flamers are a nice weapon for a sentry, provided he can spot the enemy.  In that sense, Cawdor, along with Redemptionists are a good gang for defending aginst raids due to their penchant for flamer weapons.  Apart from Jemuel and Boaz though, I was lucky to get Zohar and Asa.  Both those guys have 3 wounds, so they are hard to take down.  Zohar also has WS5, meaning that he wouldn't be as badly as affected by the half WS rule that sentries suffer.  Asa also has Step Aside, which is a 4+ save against hits in close combat.  All that together meant that for either of them to be taken down in a single turn would require either a lot of gunfire, which would definitely set off the alarm, or a gang attack which would increase the chances of the alarm being raised markedly, especially considering that some of Joffreys best girls were equipped with noisy chainswords.  Shamora could probably do it on her own, but the others would have a tough time of it.

The key to stopping a raid is to raise the alarm early.  There are a lot of ways to do that depending on the type of table you are playing on.  Our tables are cluttered with lots of heavy cover, so pinging a raider straight off the bat was not that likely to happen.  Relying on a sentry surviving a round of close combat is not reliable either.  Different people have different views, but I rely on a layered defence.  Give up the first couple of guys, but have a second layer behind them within spotting range who can see them go down and raise the alarm.

In this case, I decided on a three layered defence.  I placed Jemuel and Boaz next to the gateway, and Asa behind the gateway.  They would spread out over the course of the first few turns to hopefully intercept the raiders.  Zohar, I put up front on top of a single story structure with a wide footprint (about 2-3 rhinos in breadth and width) in the middle of the table.  Any Escher passing underneath him would be spotted by his initiative, and any of them going for a charge would be delayed by having to climb up and down ladders.  Placing sentries above ground floor is also a good tactic to thwart raiders.

Jofrey set his girls up in 4 teams.  Gytha and Esmerelda were up top in the middle of the board.  Gytha had a clear shot with her heavy stubber at the gateway, but I wasn't really concerned by that.  heavy stubbers only have S4, and that isn't a great way to take out a T6 W3 target.  Shooting at it would sound the alarm, long before blowing it up.  Also, the rules we play apply the target priority system to the gateway, meaning that she would have to take out Zohar first, who was in plain view.

On the far right (from his view), Joffrey deployed his senior close combat gangers - Belatrix, Tabatha and Maleficent.  At one time, those three would have scared the amphetamine parrot out of me.  But last turn, Belatrix and Tabatha received leg wounds reducing their movement and charge range, and Maleficent took a chest wound reducing her toughness.  Those three injuries might not seem like much, but trust me, in Necromunda, inches count, and those leg wounds literally and figuratively cripple more than just the models the gang members who suffer them.  The chest wound is just all round sucky. T2 in necromunda is far from ideal for someone who has to spend three turns running before getting a chance to swing her sword at someone.

In the middle, Joffrey deployed Shamora with Glinda and Morgana.  Shamora is arguably the best close combat fighter in the campaign (along with Abraham and Bloodaxe) , being able to get the charge, fight with a high weapon skill, dodge any lucky incoming hits, and hit back with a power sword and plasma pistol.  Morgana is at the top of the second tier of hand to hand badasses, being about the equivalent of Asa, Josiah, Abijah or Zohar.  Glinda is very solid too.

Over to the left, Joffrey had his more junior team, Hermione and Eskarina.  The left had the least cover, and they were probably sent over there just to keep me in two minds.

Offline SnipingSnowman

• If this were a contest for rolling ones..
« Reply #307 on: April 1, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
You can't leave it there?! What happened?!
~Ss

Offline Underhand

« Reply #308 on: April 1, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
Wouldn't dream of it:

Turn 1

This game was played with about 20 onlookers.  The previous manager of the store has set up another Necromunda campaign, and people have been looking at our game to get a feel for it.

With Agility, Stealth and Combat as their standard skills, Escher are a nightmare to defenda against in a Raid.  Agility means they move fast, Stealth means they don't get spotted and they can take their time getting into position. Combat means they are deadly when they strike.  They are the perfect Raiders.  Only Outlaw Ratskins rival them.

Joffrey sent all of his girls forward.  To the left, Eskarina and Hermione ran forward and left.  Zohar was the closest sentry, and he was outside his maximum spotting range, so they didn't even have to stick to cover.

In the middle, Shamora , Glinda and Morgana sprinted forwards along ground level.  There was an outside chance that Zohar might be in range to spot them, so they kept to cover.

Up top, Gytha and Esmerelda went into hiding.  Appropriate that those two finally got to team up.

To the right, Belatrix, Tabatha and Maleficent climbed to the first storey of a two level tower and darted forwards (limping and wheezing) along a catwalk towards my left flank.  In a normal game, they would have been horribly exposed, but in the early turns of a Raid, my guys weren't operating under normal LOS rules, and they were safe.

On my turn, Joffrey got control of Asa, and had him move one inch towards my table edge facing away from everything.  Meh.  I controlled Boaz and Jemuel and had them move a couple of inches forwards towards the middle of the table. 

Zohar was positioned in the middle of the table on a large single storey structure.  I elected to keep him in Frenzy and was able to move him three inches.  His structure was connected by a catwalk to the tower that Gytha and Esmerelda were hiding on.  I stalked 3" forwards towards that.

Turn 1: Up/Down/Out
Gothika:  11/0/0
Hand of Redemption :  13/0/0

Turn 2

Same as turn 1.  To the left, Eskarina and Hermione continued to run forwards, this time ending up in cover far out to the left.

Up top, Gytha and Esmerelda went into Overwatch, both guns trained on Zohar below.

At ground level in the middle of the table, Joffrey took a slight chance with Zohar's awareness and ran his Shamora, Glinda and Morgana forward again, bunching them behind solid line of sight blocking cover in the centre of the table out of the view of both Boaz and Jemuel.

To the right, Belatrix, Maleficent and Tabatha continued their run down the right flank, ending up on the first level of a tower block. 

Once again I got control ofg both Jemuel and Boaz, and edged them forwards, spreading them out slightly to each cover the two most likely lines of approach of Shamora, Glinda and Morgana.

I got control of Asa and had him climb up on top of the gateway to present Joffrey with one extra target if he decided to go the shooting route, and to prevent Joffrey from being able to move him very far if he got control of him again.

Zhar stalked another 3" closer to Gytha and Esmerelda who remained undetected.

Turn 2: Up/Down/Out

Turn 3

This is where things start to get tense with Raids.

Sentries get to detect raiders within 2d6" of them.  Obviously, anyone outside 10" is pretty unlikely to get spotted, but there is still a chance, and you would be amazed at how players dither about placing their guys within 12" of sentries.  Not Joffrey though.  He's played this game a lot and he knows what's a good risk and what's a good risk and isn't put off by someone like Gannicus making flamer sounds as soon as he touches one of his miniatures with the intent of moving it closer to a sentry.

Eskarina and Hermione didn't really have anywhere they could go without risking Boaz spotting them and flaming them in the event the alarm was raised, but this being his last game, Joffrey risked it anyway and sent them both forwards, hugging the very edge of the left side of the table, ready to move into a good flanking position next turn.

Up top, Esmerelda and Gytha held their position.

In the centre of the table, Joffrey adjusted the positioning of Shamora, Glinda and Maleficent.  All three of them were within potential spotting distance of Jemuel, and possibly Boaz next turn.  Keeping three raiders bunched up behind cover is a potentially disastrous choice with a couple of flamer armed sentries, so he went to spread them out.  How to break cover was the issue

They only had to move apart a couple of inches to be protected from being covered by a single flamer template, but that meant crossing within spotting range of the sentries.  A rookie might have made a bad choice there, but Joffrey is anything but.

He moved Shamora first, sprinting her in a wide arc, away from, and then closer into Jemuel, ending outside of his LOS.  Morgana has Dive and Leap which let her pull the same trick, but end up in hiding at close range to Jemuel.  Glinda went into hiding, greatly reducing her chances of being found.

Over to the right, the cripple crew continued their gimpy run, hooking towards the centre to get into a flanking position.

On my turn, Jemuel was in deep amphetamine parrot, being within charge range of 3 Escher close combat hardasses.  But that was okay - I was happy for him to go down.  If that happened, both Boaz and Asa would be in a position to see it and retaliate with fire and choke grenades.  And nothing rains on a Raid parade like promethium and choke gas.

I got to move Jemuel a single inch, and I moved him to cover the approach of Morgana and Glinda.  Boaz got to move 3" and I moved him towards Jemuel, facing the approach of Shamora.  Asa moved 2" not leaving the top of the gateway.

Zohar moved another 2" closer to Esmerelda and Gytha.

Turn 3: Up/Down/Out

Turn 4

Out to the left, Hermione and Eskarina ran into LOS blocking cover behind a tower in my deployment zone.

In the middle, Shamora moved minutely to better set herself up for a charge.  Glinda and Morgana both went into overwatch.

Up top, Esmerelda and Gytha had a bastard of a choice.  Zohar was approaching charge range, and the alarm was likely to be sounded in a turn or two.  At the moment, Zohar was within shooting range, and a heavy stubber and a lasgun would be good odds to take him out in a turn or two, given that he was in the open and couldn't recover from pinning without friends being present.  With another 3"movement though, Zohar would get close enough to the foot of the tower to be outside LOS of Gytha with her heavy stubber and would be within possible charge range given his Leap ability.  And a frenzied Cawdor close combat badass is nothing to beslubber with.

A lot of people would have opened fire at that point, but Joffrey has discipline, and knows how to stick to a plan.  He kept them on overwatch.  Zohar still had to get over the edge of that tower.

Over to the right, Belatrix and Tabatha dropped a level and darted into cover setting themselves up for a potential charge next turn.  Maleficent stayed up a level, bolt pistol trained on Jemuel.

I moved Jemuel into spotting range of both Glinda and Morgana, but he failed to notice them despite only needing a 4+ on a D6.  Joffrey got control of Boaz and in true horror movie style, had him walk backwards 2" towards the spot where Shamora was lying in wait.  Joffrey also got control of Asa and had him turn and press his face up against the gateway (I picture him having a piss).

I retained control of Zohar and moved him 3" closer to Gytha and Esmerelda, frenzy still active.

Turn 4: Up/Down/Out

Turn 5

And it was on.

Glinda and Morgana charged Jemuel.  In my view, that was overkill, but it worked well enough.  Jemuel failed his Jump Back (initiative check to jump 2" out of close combat (golden for a flamer combat Tremultuous O like Jemuel), and got beat to a pulp.

Shamora charged Boaz.  Boaz is one of the few characters in the campaign to have WS6, so ordinarilly, he would have given a decent account of himself, but at half WS for being a sentry, he was no match at all for Shamora and was taken out of action.

The fight with Jemuel sounded the alarm.

Esmerelda broke cover, moved to the edge of the ladder of her tower and shot at Zohar, but missed, and that was a fatal mistake, because it gave away her position, allowing Zohar to charge her.

Gytha remained on Overwatch.

Maleficent, Belatrix and Tabatha all shot at Asa but only managed to pin him.

Morgana followed up 4" to close with Asa and Shamora followed up into base to base contact with the gateway.

Eskarina and Hermione fired their autopistols at the gateway but didn't manage a wound.

With the alarm sounded, I was able to roll for reinforcements. 

When defending a Raid, you divide up your reinforcements into teams and roll a D6. Each turn, you pick a team.   If you roll the number of reinforcements  or above on a D6, then you get to bring on that team.  Obviously, the first team is the best team.  I divided my teams into teams of 3, needing 3+ per roll to bring them on.

Nohting in Necromunda makes you decide who your A-Team are than having to pick your reinforcements for a Raid.    I rolled a 5 on my first roll and Abraham, Jacob and Amon walked onto the table.

My first move was to position Amon to unload on Maleficent, Belatrix and Tabatha.  He'd be unlikely to take down any of them, but he could at least wound and pin them.  I ran Jacob into cover behind the gateway, ready to unleash hell next turn.

I figured that I could let Asa take care of Morgana without help. 

Zohar was in a frenzy, so he had no choice but to attempt a chage on Esmerelda.  That was no trouble as it happened, with him Leaping a full 6".  That didn't save him from overwatch fire from Gytha though, and he took a wound and was lucky not to fall off the ladder.  Nevertheless, even though Esmerelda was fighting from an elevated position, it wasn't anywhere enough to stop Zohar, who got 4 hits on her with his chainsaw (flail), easily taking her out of action before following up onto Gytha.

With Asa fighting Morgana, Abraham was free to attack either Glinda, who was unoccupied, or Shamora who was closer but in close combat with the gateway.

I had decided before the game that I was resolved to losing the Spore Cave for at least a turn.  late campaign Escher are just too hard to stop.  But with Amon ready with 6 shots to provide cover fire to Abraham and the chance to save the Spore Cave, I went against my better judgment and charged Abraham into close combat with Shamora.  The 20 onlookers might have had a baring on my choice, which was stupid of me.

Anyway, Amon opened up on the cripple crew and did a wound to Belatrix and pinned the other two.

Asa beat Morgana in close combat, but failed to wound her.

Abraham charged Shamora in an effort to prevent her from destroying the gateway.  As I've noted before, there is little separating the two.  They both move at the same speed.  Shamora hits harder but Abraham is tougher.  Shamora probably has a bit more skill, but that gets nullified if Abraham gets the charge, and that's what I was counting on here.

Abraham crashed into her, rolled well and got two hits.  Shamora used her step aside to avoid the first hit from Abraham's chainsword, and avoided a wound from his boltpistol.  And that sucked, because that was the best chance Abraham was going to get.

Turn 5: Up/Down/Out
Gothika:  10/0/1
Hand of Redemption :  11/0/2

« Last Edit: April 1, 2013, 10:34:53 AM by Underhand »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #309 on: April 1, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
Good stuff as always UH. I'm really looking forward to whatever is in store for Abraham...I just hope he doesn't pick up anything too debilitating in the postgame sequence for you that could scupper your chances in the campaign...

...but that would kinda teach you a lesson for bowing to the peer pressure of 20 onlookers...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline MingVas

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #310 on: April 1, 2013, 09:57:44 PM »
Arg!  Cliffhanger eating at my soul!!  Arg!

Jokes aside. . . Sometimes the big dogs have to fight.  I'm picturing Willow with General Kale and Mad Martigan. . .

Offline Underhand

« Reply #311 on: April 3, 2013, 09:03:08 AM »
You're old.

Turn 6

Over to the (sort of) right, out of the cripple crew, only Maleficent stayed pinned.  Belatrix charged at Amon, but came up an inch short on her leap, Tabatha moved up closer and took a shot with her bolt pistol and dealt Amon a wound, pinning him.  That was a shame, because he would have loved to have unloaded both autopistols at Belatrix at short range.

Out to the left, Hermione and Eskarina repositioned once again and fired their autopistols at Jacob, but failed to hit.

Up top, Zohar made short work of Gytha, getting 4 hits and two wounds which was enough to take her out of action.

All of that was just window dressing for the fight at the gateway. 

The fight between Asa and Morgana went badly, with Asa rolling 1,1,2 on three dice and getting hit 8 times by Morgana's boltpistol and chainsword, which was enough to deal him 3 wounds and take him out of action. 

Losing Asa was a big blow.  Apart from being one of my best guys all round, he was holding choke grenades, which I could have used to throw near the gateway to deny the area from Shamora.  Doing that would havealso hit Abraham, but I'm pretty sure he would take a hit from a choke grenade over a hit from Shamora's powersword or plasma pistol any day of the week.

So losing Asa was bad enough, but things got a lot worse when Morgana used her follow up move to charge into Amon.  There was only one way that fight would go.

At the gateway, Shamora and Abraham were fighting.  Shamora won the combat by 2 hits, both of which wounded but weren't enough to finish him off.  And that sucked for Shamora, because that was the best chance she was going to get.

On my turn Josiah, Abijah and Isaac turned up on my side of the board, and not a moment too soon. 

Issac ran and parked himself next to Jacob.

Josiah used his sprint ability and went to the rescue of Amon who was about to get pasted by Morgana.

Abijah, who plays the role of Abraham's bodyguard decided to start doing his job and leaped into combat against Shamora.

Zohar stepped over the bodies of Gytha and Esmerelda, leaped off the tower to the level below and ran towards the fighting.

Jacob opened up with his Heavy Bolter on Hermione (Joffrey had placed her far enough away from Eskarina that Jacob couldn't walk fire between them), but rolled badly and only took her down.

Near the gateway, Josiah and Amon were locked in combat against Morgana.  Morgana is one of the best close combat fighters in the game, and had already taken down two of my guys so far this game.  Josiah is also a badass, but taking Morgana down in a single turn would not be easy for him, even with the charge, and he had to take her down this turn, because if he didn't, Tabatha would enter the combat next turn, and even with his Combat Master skill (bonus versus multiple opponents) he would not win that fight.

So to give Josiah the best chance possible, I elected to attack with Amon first.  That didn't go great for Amon, and Morgana hit him 4 times, dealing 3 wounds, taking him down, which would normally be an auto remove, but because Josiah was there, was just a regular downed result.

Amon had done his job though.  By manfully thrusting his chest onto Morgana's chainsword, he was able to give Josiah +1A and +1 to his combat score, which, together with Josiah's two swords, 3 Attacks and Parry skill were enough to do get three hits on Morgana, for two wounds which took her down and out of action.  Josiah then followed up to put himself between Tabatha and Amon's prone form.

At the gateway, Abijah was about to earn his salt.  Once again, I was going to use the lesser fighter to give the better fighter a better chance of taking down the scary woman with pink hair.  However this time, I had the advantage of a bastard rule on my side.  Abijah has Disarm.  That means on a D6 roll of a 4+, he gets to take away an opponent's weapon for the durtation of the combat.  Shamora was winning at that moment, but take away her power sword and she would lose an attack, and half of those remaining attacks would be hitting at S3 and she would lose a parry (you can see how sword type weapons are king in Necromunda).  Without her powersword, and outnumbered as she was, the tables would well and truly turn against Shamora.

So you can imagine how I was disapointed when I rolled a 3.

Shamora then hit Abijah 3 times, but with his dodge skill, he only took one wound, so he was still on his feet.

But that still left Abraham with +1A and +1 combat score which put the odds back in his favour. 

The combat result was a tie which Shamora won because she has I6 compared to I5 for Abraham.  And that one hit was enough to take Abraham's last wound and take him down.  And if Abijah hadn't managed to somehow survive the round of combat, Abraham would have been taken out of action.

Turn 6: Up/Down/Out
Gothika:  7/1/3
Hand of Redemption :  9/1/3

« Last Edit: April 4, 2013, 05:56:35 AM by Underhand »

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #312 on: April 3, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
That's just not fair.
Finish the damned battle already!

Offline MingVas

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #313 on: April 3, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
Willow came out the same year as Rambo III. . . just sayin'

Offline Underhand

« Reply #314 on: April 6, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
Turn 7

Like the teen-pop sensation that he is, Joffrey passed his bottle check.

Josiah got charged by Glinda and Belatrix. Tabitha tried the same, but fell just short. 

On the left, Eskarina repositioned.

Joffrey made an interesting tactical decision with Shamora.  He moved her out of combat with Abijah, and into base to base contact with the gateway, which allowed Abijah to get a free hit on her which succeeded in wounding her.  That was a soft wound, but by giving that up, Joffrey got 3 attacks on the gateway.

That would have been a tough decision for Joffrey to make:  spend another turn in combat and probably take out Abijah and Abraham, but risk bottling out before blowing up the gateway; or risk a wound, and hope to take out the gateway.

Hard decision.  Best case scenario if he stuck around in close combat is that both Abraham and Abijah could die as a result of being taken out of action in close combat.  But the chance of Abraham dying was relatively small, because I have Medics in my gang, and Abraham always gets first access to them.  On the other hand, if he managed to destroy the gateway, I would lose a significant amount of income for one turn, and potentially a lot over multiple turns.  And the loss of a Spore Cave can switch the balance of an entire campaign.  There are very understandable reasons why Joffrey turned against me and Gannicus over the Orlock Spore Cave.

In any event, Maleficent and Eskarina took shots at the gateway and hit, but neither scored wounds.

Glinda and Tabitha took on Josiah.  Normally being outnumbered is a major disadvantage in Necromunda, but Josiah is perfectly suited to dealing with multiple combatants.  He has 3 Attacks, Initiative 6, two swords, Parry and Combat Master.  He is Jet Li-esque.  So Glinda went down. 

Belatrix fared better, scoring a tie on the combat roll, which was a true tie, not resulting in a hit either way.

Shamora got 4 hits on the gatway and managed to get 2 wounds on it.  One more wound and it would be destroyed, and I would be out 2d6 x10 income for the turn, or possibly forever.

Despite Abraham being temporarily indisposed, The Hand of Redemption passed their bottle check with their typical sense of taste and sophistication with which we've all become accustomed.

Ram, Joshua and Esau turned up as reinforcements on the right side of the board.  Not much was happening over there, so I ran Esau towards the middle of the table to cut off any Escher retreat.  I positioned Joshua and Ram to take a shot at Shamora, but Maleficent was closer.  Joshua shot first and missed clean.  Ram shot and pinned her, but that was it.  Shamora was still free to wail on the gateway.

As the defender in a Raid, there is a world of difference between defending a gateway with three wounds, and a single wound.  In Necromunda, S4 is serious business.  S5 is a heavy weapon and anything above that is for the crazy gun nuts with no sense of proportionality.  A lot of gangs never hit more than with anything above S4.  So a T6 structure with 3 wounds, is pretty solid.  But with only one wound, that T6 gateway is one lucky stub gun shot away from collapse.

So, with Shamora in base to base contact with the gateway, things weren't looking good.

I could have charged Isaac or Jacob into close combat with her to hold her up for a turn, but that would have just meant losing either (or both) of them.  I wasn't willing to lose either of them, or their weapons, so I kept them where they were.

I could have charged Abijah at Shamora, but that probably would have just resulted in losing Abijah, and only delaying the inevitable for a turn.  Dealing a wound to Shamora's back was more than enough for Abijah to dine out on for a while.  Besides, Abijah was carrying my gang's medkit.  So I kept him next to Abraham.

Zohar ran back 11" towards the action.

Isaac opened up on Eskarina and took her down.  Jacob could have unloaded his heavy bolter at the prone forms of either Hermione or Eskarina, but in a Raid, there is something to be said for leaving downed gangers alive since the victory conditions require the Raiders to exit the board with all of the surviving gang members.  And downed gang members aren't moving anywhere fast.

Josiah got a single hit on Tabitha and managed a wound, but that wasn't enough to take her down.  Glinda crawled away 2".

Abijah attended to Abraham with the medkit and managed to restore him to a flesh wound.  So they were both free to have another crack at Shamora next turn.

But before that could happen, Shamora would have another free turn at the gateway.

Turn 7: Up/Down/Out
 Gothika:  5/3/3
Hand of Redemption :  9/1/3

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:11:13 AM by Underhand »

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #315 on: April 6, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »
Great stuff, very tense so far. I'm aquiver with anticipation
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline SnipingSnowman

• If this were a contest for rolling ones..
« Reply #316 on: April 7, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
This is taking forever, I'm so impatient!!  :'( I wanna know how this ended!
~Ss

Offline spafe

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #317 on: April 9, 2013, 04:15:49 AM »
bah, cant be doing with such a long wait! I reckon joffrey will get the still down, but its his last swan song so even though he's lost he'll gloat over crippling your income  :(

Offline Underhand

« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2013, 03:32:22 AM »
Thanks guys - okay, here's the end:

Turn 8

Joffrey passed his bottle check.

Maleficent was the only member of Gothika who was still on her feet and not engaged in close combat.  Joffrey moved her slightly and had her take a shot at Abijah who was busy attempting to resuscitate Abraham.  She missed.

Tabitha and Belatrix continued their fight with Josiah, with Tabitha receiving another hit but again avoiding a wound.  He didn't do as well against Belatrix though, and taking a wound, but was still in the fight.

Shamora got another 4 automatic hits on the gateway, and armed as she was with a power sword and plasma pistol, that was enough.  BOOM.  Gateway gone.  And with it, 2d6x10 income for this turn, and possibly forever.

Eskarina recovered to a fleshwound.  Provided Joffrey could get his girls off the table, he was looking at actually winning.

Jacob and Isaac stayed where they were but pivoted, ready to shoot at Eskarina with their secondary weapons to take her down or pin her, but also ready to line up Shamora for an overwatch shot if she came at them.

Seeing the gang's beer money for the month go up in flames, Abraham and Abijah simultaneously charged Shamora. 

Zohar didn't do to great on his Leap, but he would be able to reach combat on the next turn with either Belatrix and Tabitha or Shamora, depending on how things went.

I directed Joshua , Esau and Ram towards Maleficent to cut off any retreat by her.

Jacob shot at Eskarina with his lasgun and took her down again.  Isaac stayed on Overwatch.

In the close combat phase, Josiah took down Tabitha dealing 4 hits and two wounds, but was himself taken down by Belatrix, who followed up in the direction of the gateway to assist Shamora.

Among the the smouldering wreakage of the gateway, Abijah and Abraham fought Shamora.  Abraham was fighting with a flesh wound, so he had a WS penalty, luckily the presence of Abijah would even that out, and give a slight advantage to Abraham.  Nevertheless, after the first combat phase, Abraham and Abijah would lose their charge bonus, and the advantage would dramatically swing to Shamora, so winning the combat on the first turn was everything.

So Abijah went for the Disarm on Shamora's Powersword, succeeded neatly and sent it flying.  The loss of that sword swung the odds dramatically since it reduced Shamora's Attack dice by one and deprived her of an all important Parry.  Sometimes a single dice roll can determine the outcome of a game, and by the look on Joffrey's face, everyone could see that he knew that was it.  Everyone else knew it too, because Gannicus explained it to them once he'd stopped laughing.

Nevertheless, the fight wasn't over.  As it turned out, even without her powersword, Shamora was still more than amatch for Abijah, hitting him three times, twice with her plasma pistol, and taking him down. 

He'd done his job though, and Abraham went to town on Shamora, with his boltpistol and chainsword, outnumbering her with Attacks and Parrys.  He got 4 hits, and three wounds, but Shamora managed to dodge two of them, resulting in only one wound, which was enough to keep her on her feet for another turn.

Underhand:  FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Amon went out of action.

Turn 8: Up/Down/Out
Gothika:  4/3/4
Hand of Redemption :  6/2/5

Turn 9

Joffrey passed his bottle check.

Belatrix charged, joining Shamora in combat with Abraham. Shamora decided she'd had enough of all this Abraham bullamphetamine parrot, licked her lips and drew her back up sword.  That gave her back the parry she lost with her power sword and once again the pendulum of the battle swung in Joffrey's favour.

Maleficent adjusted position and took a shot at Esau, pinning him.

At the gateway, Belatrix had come to Shamora's aid against Abraham.  Belatrix is one of the best close combat specialists in the campaign, even with her leg wound, but she isn't quite in Abraham and Shamora's league.  Nevertheless, her job wasn't to kill Abraham, it was just to slow him down enough for Shamora to give him another face full of plasma.  Accordingly, Joffrey had her attack first.

Abraham got three hits on her for three wounds.  Belatrix has Step Aside, but she failed to save them and went out of action.  And thank beslubbering christ she did, because the sight of her being chopped into hamburger meat was too much for Shamora, who turned and fled the fight. 

And that was all the luck that Abraham needed, shooting her between the shoulders as she ran.

And that was pretty much it.  Joffrey passed yet another bottle check to take the game in to one more turn before Maleficent was pinned by gunfire from Esau, Joshua and Ram long enough to be diced up by Zohar's chainsaw.  Glinda was autoremoved by Abraham.  Eskarina was taken out of action by Jacob and Hermione was autoremoved by Isaac.

Final score:
Turn 10: Up/Down/Out
 Gothika:  0/3/8
Hand of Redemption :  6/2/5

What a bloodbath.

And that's it for turn 14.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:27:35 PM by Underhand »

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
Wow, Shamora was quite a be-atch to take down, probably the most epic fight till now.

Hope your sporecave did survive the aftermath.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.