News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: deathwing  (Read 3448 times)

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
deathwing
« on: July 17, 2002, 02:47:33 PM »
i find deathwing armies interesting...does anybody play them and what are some strategies you use?
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline Cloud runner (brother Ezekiel)

• "Deathwing will be remembered."
Re:deathwing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 05:42:02 AM »
Deathwing are really cool but oh so slow. If you're gonna have them, either use LandRaiders for speed or use the deepstrike rules. Also find as much cover as possible to hide from enemy fire. The only thing termies want is to get into hth. And since you have LR:s the opposing player wont fire at your termies as much. That means they are much safer and can be twice as deadly.  ;)
"Perhaps a favour. In honour of our dead, leave the suits the colour of
Deathwing. The deeds of our brothers should be remembered."

-brother Ezekiel to Brother captain Gabrielle

Offline dark_wind

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 10:43:58 PM »
thanks cloud runner...i hope to be able to get a Lr...but do you think they could do ok with out one? anybody else?
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!

MarzJesterOfDeath

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 11:45:50 PM »
i play all types of dark angels.  this saturday will be my second venture with using an all deathwing army.  i find that they excel in hth, but if outfitted right, they can be powerful shooters, especially as infantry killers.  i use 10 termies, one grand master, one chaplin, a dreadnaught, a landraider, and a landraider crusader.  comes out around 1500 pts after equipment.  i can do more, but our tournys are usually 1500 pts.

"Repent!  For tomorrow you die!"

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 02:53:12 AM »
To fit the fluff about deathwing (by using lots of terminators that is) you could try this list:

Grand master
w/ sword of secrets
armour
130 pts

Dreadnought
w/ lascannon
125 pts

Deathwing group one:
1 leader
2 lightning claw
1 thunder hammer
1 chainfist
240 pts

Deathwing group two:
1 leader
2 lightning claw
1 chainfist
1 powerfist
240 pts

Deathwing group three (support):
1 leader
3 powerfists
1 cyclone/ fist
255 pts

Land raider:
250 pts

Land raider crusader:
255 pts

What you do is: put squad 1 and 2 in the LR:s and the commander with the one in the crusader. Your LR:s rush forward as your dreadnought and group 3 give support fire, killing dangerous targets. Both group 3 and the dread will also move forward. That's a great strat.
If you want to crowd the field with termies just kick off the LR:s and put in another 10 termies.

Offline dark_wind

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 12:52:40 PM »
yeah..i i'm thinkin about just using termies...what about a termie chaplain...is one of those worth having?

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!

Callidus

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 10:40:58 PM »
I was thinking about collecting a Deathwing Army, but I have no money (just spent the last of it on paint). :'( Is a Deathwing Army expensive? It would seem so, because of all those termies you gotta buy.
I'm also not sure if I could handle another army. I have *counts on fingers, slowly* 3 armies. Harlequins, Orks, and a new Necron army. I also wouldn't mind collectiong an Alaitoc Craftworld army and a Tau force. Foolish hobby, why is it so much fun? ;D
I have had a SM army, way back when I started, but I dropped them because everyone else was collecting them, so it was getting kinda boring rolling 4s all the time.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 04:25:57 AM »
I think you should rather stick with the librarian in termie armour since the chaplain costs 10 pts more and in termie armour the librarian gets a 5+ inv. save. And with a librarian you can use magic and you can deflect magic with his psychic hood. He can also use a force weapon to smash his enemies. And that's very good.

Offline dark_wind

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 12:06:01 PM »
well...the chaplain gets a 4+ inv with his rosarius

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 09:41:23 AM »
A Deathwing army that has caused me the most trouble consists of three Dreads, a Command Squad and two regular squads of Terminators. All have heavy flamers and are equipped for hand to hand.

The army is very effective if deep strike is available, and if it isn't stays in a nice tight cluster, taking full advantage of the Lion Helm. Deadly in the right hands.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2002, 03:42:48 AM »
Oh maybe you don't know this. The lion helm can't be taken for characters in terminator armour :/ But still, three dreads with h. flamers and such are really nice. :D

MarzJesterOfDeath

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2002, 12:15:25 AM »
cloud runner, where does it say that the lion helm cannot be taken by someone in termie armor?  all i've read is that only grand masters may take it.

Offline Colonel-Commissar Ghostmaker

• Fluff Master
  • Straight Silver! Straight Silver!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 02:04:58 PM »
I am just starting a DA army and am just doing the basic troops at the moment. As I don't have much money I am not able to get a pure Deathwing army :'(. I am just wondering if I should have a few Deathwing for back up in my army. My friend is a veteran DA collector and he has a 3000 pts army. He has no Deathwing but he plays well without them. Should I get some or is it a waste of money? (I shouldn't say that on a Deathwing forum)
Check out my Fluffman thread:
http://www.40k.ca/community/index.php?board=34;action=display;threadid=24599;start=0
Quality fluff free of charge!

Check out the worlds best wargaming comic site: http://www.larryleadhead.org/

This one requires Quick Time and a sense of humour:
http://www.thekeeponline.com/radio/TakestheCall.mp3

Offline Wofen

• The lone Wolf
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2002, 07:35:36 AM »
I think to use DW powerfully(I have a full army), you have to amster both Combat, and shooting, and this can be done with dreads, and ACannons. As both of these will help you out in the shooting, but will also rock in combat.

Also you need LR's, i have 4 and am looking to get one more. you need them, and everyone fears them.

Wofen
Back again after 5 years.....

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2002, 02:55:53 AM »
cloud runner, where does it say that the lion helm cannot be taken by someone in termie armor?  all i've read is that only grand masters may take it.

Okay I'm not sure as the wargear section states that it doesn't need to be worn, but the is also no *asterix* beside the helmet in its entry. You have to have an asterix if you want terminators to be able to use the item. Hmmm....