News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348751 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1840 on: May 28, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »
Hey guys back again with another update. So I finished that pair of Lions! Super stoked with how they came out. Been a long time coming, but it feels like a real nice finishing touch on the collection over all. Really looking forward to adding more AoS beasts to the collection in the future. Thinking of doing Gryph Hounds as Khymera for sure... keeping the lion thing going (hawk+dog+lion= gyph hound?)

Also had a really fun game with my buddy Chris. This time out a led I took a pure Iyanden force led by Prince Y'riel (first game out for the real model!) against an ALMOST pure Primaris force of Soul Drinker Space Marines. This was actually a really good game. I sort of castled up and used the durablity of my double Wave Serpents to weather some incoming fire power, while my Wraithknight took out a Redemptor Dreadnought and a Repulsor tank. When that was accomplished my Wraithguard + Wraithblades pounced out of their Wave Serpents and the Webway taking out the Storm Raven and some Primaris Marines.

The trap was sprung on Turn 2 and while the heavy hitters were gone, (besides a big unit of Hellblasters) I was actually really out of shape for nabbing objectives. Chris ended up calling the game when I think there was still some good fight left in his army, and I had a long haul to make to grab those objectives. My Wraithknight was down to about 9 wounds, I lost a unit of Wraithguard and Y'riel was unfortunatley slain by some cheeky Scout fire. Yet regardless we called it around Turn 4 which isn't bad considering how bloody some games of 40k can be.

Some definite highlights were the Wraithknight nuking the Redemptor on Turn 1 and working together with the Wraithguard to take out the Repulsor. Also a flame fest with the D-Scythes whittling down the Storm Raven, before the freaking Wraithlord (which went untouched in the game) downing it with his twin flamers! Also got to pop the Psytronome of Iyanden on my Wraitblades with axes and shileds which was really cool.

Anyway it was a great day of 40k finished off by a Knight Joust! My Wraithknight went after a heavily armed Imperial Knight and I managed to actually win! Despite being dramatically out gunned, I managed to knock the brute out. So definitley a good day for the Wraithknight. Hopefully future releases will improve as we get deeper into 8th edition.

Anyway guys hope you enjoyed the update. I'll be back soon with some more updates. Always more irons in the fire. Stay tuned and talk soon!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1841 on: May 28, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Loving those armies on the table, Cav, some beautifully painted miniatures there! Sounds like you guys had an epic battle, glad you and your opponent had fun. Always cool to see Iyanden bringing home the victory, one my more favorite craftworlds (tied with Biel-Tan for my top spot).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1842 on: May 30, 2018, 12:42:56 AM »
Loving the lions, so majestic. The whites next to the red is beautiful.

The game sounds like it was fun and the purple and red against the dark table, groovy cool.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1843 on: May 31, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »
Yeah, those Lions look boss now. The contrast between the mane and the body is so much better. I think the fairly monotone palette works really well now that there is contrast in the similar colours.

I love that test Harlequin too. So stoked that you're going to be running them with your existing Aeldari. I think you could knock it out of the park with a Harlequin update to the project.

Finally, well done on the win. 2 great looking armies and I'm glad to see the right army won!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1844 on: June 1, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
@MyenTal- Thanks MyenTal, Chris is my favorite gaming bud. He just loves the hobby to death and is loyal to the end to is favorite armies, Soul Drinkers and Dark Hunters. The both of us are trying to get more games in together so hopefully he'll feature a bit more. He's putting together some Knights which are oathsworn to both his Drinkers and his Dark Hunters with matching color schemes so there should be some fun variety coming up too. Thanks bud!

@Dread- Thanks as always bud. Real glad you like the lions and the game as well. Yeah the red vs. purple is really cool, as Chris actually embraces the Autbots inspiration behind my paint scheme and has painted up a few of his things in Decepticon colors which has been fun. He's got a Devastator themed Imperial Knight which I'm looking forward to facing. Should be awesome!

@Looshkin- Hey Loosh thanks so much man. I was really looking forward to your feedback, so very happy you like the changes made to the lions. Also super pumped you like my color scheme on the Harlies too. If you have any advice on anything you think needs tweaking let me know because I want these guys to shine, while still fitting in with the rest of my army. Thanks on the game too, it was a lot of fun. Great feedback as always Loosh its very much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1845 on: June 4, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »
Hey guys another quick update. Just finished my first Death Guard project with this little gremlin from hell. Freaking hilarious look model. But its kinda grown on me as time's gone on.

Also I finally got a proper Succubus model into my army. I'd been using my counts-as Y'vraine for the longest which is total blasphemy but now I've got this bad betty ready to hit the tabletop.

Super happy with how she came out. Sadly some of the 4th stage highlights sort of got lost in the photo... but still the photos are pretty good. Cannot wait to get her in a game... because the Red Grief Succubus with the Red Glaive and the 3++ warlord trait is a serious freaking boss.

The cool thing about 8th edition is I now have a SLEW of characters that have entered the army. I gotta do a "rogues gallery" at some point of all the characters and give some info on their background because I've got a lot of fluff figured out for them at this point.

Anyway hope you guys like it. Let me know your thoughts and stay tuned... got a game coming up this weekend that should be great. Talk soon!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1846 on: June 4, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
See, now you're making me angry Cav. Painting up Death Guard with only 1 stage of highlights, knocking it out of the park and making them all look better than mine. It's just not sporting.

Git.

Seriously though, that Blight Hauler looks terrific. I really think that you need to consider putting together one of these armies because it will look truly stunning by the time you've finished. I really love the finish that you're getting.

Sweet pose and paint job on the Succubus too, but for me the Blight Hauler steals the show this time out!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #1847 on: June 4, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »
Hey Cav... That's just Glorious. These lion are so much better with just the added wash. That witch is probably the model that work the best with them so far with how cool they look and with the pose she got, with how dinamic it is.

That model of chaos is too gory chaos to me but it defenetly looks great. Had it not been Chaotic nurgke style I would have loved the style of this thing.

Other point of interest that game looked fantastic, I don't know about the actual fun in the game, but god do your two army look great. That's not the first time that buddy of yours get featured here, and it's always a blast to see his army!

I'm eager to see what you cook us next!
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1848 on: June 4, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
Alright Cav, you're going to have to reveal your secrets for converting that Succubus ;D! I see Scourge parts and the Witch Elf head. Did you get that pole arm from the Daughters of Khaine Melusai? Beautiful work on both models, but man oh man, that succubus provides some real inspiration :)! It's superior to the current GW model in many aspects in my opinion.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1849 on: June 4, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
Dude! I mean DUDE! Wow she looks great! The nurgle critter is great even with the minimal work you did on it. Impressed as always.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1850 on: June 4, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
nice work Cav, got that white hair process locked down :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1851 on: June 5, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »
@Looshkin- lol thanks so much man. Really appreciate the kind words, really means a lot.  Super stoked you like the little-gremlin-that-could. These models just really work with my paint style, so thanks for that man. And yes... while I'm going to have a proper World Eaters army, I've been talking to my brother and eventually we're gonna expand out to a big huge Chaos army with all the factions presented. Already have an idea for a Harlequins vs. Aehriman campaign which'll be super fun. But I'll probably start with Death Guard as I think they'd fit well into an army list with the World Eaters stuff. Glad you dig the Succubus too. Its about time I got one into the army. Anyway thanks bud appreciate the very kind words!

@Dread- Hey bud thanks so much man. Glad you like her. Pretty stoked with how she came out. Gave me some ideas for some counts-as Howling Banshees as well. Also thanks on the little Nurgle dude. Funny looking model but cool at the same time. Thanks man!

@MyenTal- Wow thanks MyenTal really appreciate the high praise. Very stoked with how she came out myself. As for the bits list... Daughter of Khaine head, Kabalite Torso, Scourge Legs, Dire Avenger accessories and her spear is a Howling Banshee Exarch Executioner. Been saving that bit for a looooooong time. The whole conversion got me thinking of a backstory for her... which I'll get into at some point. But thanks man, glad you like her!

@Grizzlykin- Hey Grizz thanks so much my man. Really glad you like this new Succubus... Really glad you like her with the Lions too and also pumped the additions you guys suggested work so well.  I'm real happy with how all this stuff is coming together.

lol.. I know what you mean about the Nurgle stuff. Its probably my least favorite of all the Chaos factions... at least in photos. Once I got it in hand, and played against it a few weeks back I started to think... as a bad guy army it makes a great opponent. So starting to like it a bit more. But trust me I feel you on that one.

About the game, yeah it was a very fun game. Chris had fun too, but I know he's dying to get a win against me. We've played for years and he's never snagged a win. I'm trying to coach him a bit on putting together a list but in the end he usually just puts together a super elite force with all his favorite units. Last game I thought his list was good, I think he goofed a bit on deployment and should have used his Hellblasters a bit more aggressive and gone after the Wraithknight. I really think he could've won that game on objectives as I'd lost a whole unit of Wraithguard, the Wraithknight was on single digit wounds and he had objective secured scouts and Primaris all over the objectives. But to be fair, I had a unit of D-Scythes a couple Wave Serpents, and Spirit Seers with smite and even my Wraithlord at full strength so maybe I could've cleared them.

But yeah Chris is my favorite dude to play against. I'm trying to convince him to use his 30k Sons of Horus as a 40k army because I think he'd love the raw power of Chaos and his army is absolutley awesome looking. Tons of conversions and brilliant use of the transfer sheets... but we will see.

Anyway thanks as always Grizz, always love your feedback man thanks.

@Magenb- Thanks Mage. Its taken awhile to figure out how to do the hair (experimenting with using washes, not using washes etc) but super happy with how its come out. Glad you like man, thanks!

@Everybody- Well guys moving on to do all the Deathguard characters (except Typhus sadly) and that'll close out the Deathguard project. Not sure whats up next in terms of commissions... but one thing I do know thats coming down the pipe is HARLEQUINS! Can't wait for them to arrive... That should be one hell of a journey... so stay tuned for that. Alright guys thats it for now. Stay tuned and talk soon!
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 08:30:21 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1852 on: June 11, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »
Weighing in late, but you nailed the manes on the Lions :) perfect amount of contrast.

However, sweet holy moses that wych-harlequin. You know how sometimes a real simple combination of bits and colour schemes comes together to create something with impact beyond what you were expecting? Yeah this guy. Absolutely love him :)

Your Succubus is awesome too. The bestial clawed feet really make the model, amd the fleshtones really draw your eye to them. Great work :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1853 on: June 11, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks man really stoked you like the new stuff, especially the Lions. Definitley trying to add some more "bespoke" elements to my army and really get that customized feel to the overall collection. Thanks about the Wych/Harlie she was only a mock-up I'm actually getting "real" Harlie models (whose arrival in the mail I'm agonizing over)... but thanks man. I love those heads and have been saving them. I'll probably mix some of those heads in as Warlock heads for my Corsair themed Warlock class Void Dreamers. Anyway thanks a ton man. I appreciate it!

@Everybody- Hey guys back again with another update. This time covering a variety of things...  some of them I'm real happy about!

First up I played a GREAT game this Saturday against one of my best opponents Patrick and his mighty Ad-Mech featuring Cawl and 5 deadly shooty robots. It was a fantastic game, with Patrick seizing the initiative and bum rushing 2 Dragoons and 10 Electro-Priests into my line turn 1 and assaulting my entire flotilla of Raiders and Venoms. I was able to wipe out the incursion in my turn and really rally hardcore wiping out everything but Cawl, a Dominus, a Priest, the Robots and a 2nd unit of Electro-Priests. Yet I made a foolish glory hungry move to try and kill Cawl in combat when I saw the chance. Ran my Farser down a mountain to Doom him (which succeeded after a Helm of the Farseer roll), got off a Smite and inflicted 3 damage on him via a Crimson Hunter. My Corsair Prince (Archon) charged in with his Incubi and got him down to 2 wounds. But I forgot to nudge my models a little further around him and my opponent wasnt cool with me moving them in further after the combat, so Cawl was able to fall back and my dudes got shot up.

After that I was able to rebound and the game went all the way to Turn 7 when I could have managed a tie, but failed a 2+ to wound roll on a bright lance shot and thus ended the game. Oh well such is life, but it was a great game. Even though giving up Warlord for the sake of personal glory was sorta dumb, it was a lot of fun. I like being able to say at the end of the game that I didn't play like a coward! lol  ;D ;D ;D

It was also the debut of my Succubus and she was a boss! Fought off 10 Electropriests and 5 Robots by herself for 3 Turns! What a champion!

Also finished up a bunch of Nurgle characters. These were all 2 highlight commissions but still happy with how they came out!

Last but certainly not least is one of my commission projects won best painted at the Louisville Slugga Grand Touranment! It was a 40 person event judged by an independent painting judge so I'm really stoked about it. The client wrote in to FLG just to thank me for my work, so I'm really happy. Not only that but the army she was featured in was really cool and fluffy. Check it out!

Its like an army right out of the Indomitus Crusade which is beyond awesome. As I'm sure you guys can tell I'm super stoked... Really a highlight for myself as a painter. Made me feel real good especially after interviewing Myles from Lil Legend Studio for our next episode of the podcast which'll be up soon.

Anyway thanks for stopping by guys and thanks for all your great feedback. Always such an inspiration to chat and work alongside you guys (digitally at least). So thanks to all you guys. I'll be back soon with some new updates... and hopefully some Harlies in hand. Thanks and stay tuned!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:29:16 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1854 on: June 16, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
Hey guys back again with another update. Well I managed to finish off my big Drukhari update. I finished the last Venom I had to paint in my little mini-fleet and I'm real happy with how it came out. I also finished my Bonesinger, which I'd been waiting to paint when I had the time. During the wait for my next commission project and my first wave of Harlequin stuff (which is due to arrive this afternoon) I knew it was the perfect time. So check it out!

Really happy with how the Bonesinger came out. I've decided to go with that green-tinged super pale Wraithbone for those units more closely tied to the Y'nnari side of things in my collection. Some of the backstory for my Incubi is that to enter the Y'nnari cult they have to recover an Eldar spirit stone from the grips of Slaanesh. The veterans will have done this many times, which is why I've puttied up the spirit stones on all my Incubi restoring them. So any of those elements will have that unearthly green tinge to their wraithbone gear.

Also super happy to finish up my Venoms. My entire DE repaint is no complete... and in fact I've painted almost every model I've got left for my Eldar. Besides maybe 5 or 6 models (random extra Incubi, a Shardnet + Impaler Wych, repaint on my Nightwing, stuff like that) my whole Eldar collection is once again complete. Really happy about that. Perfect time to do this Harlequin challenge and then FINALLY put the Eldar down again. I actually did some work on my World Eaters as well but I forgot to take photos.

Also quick note, I realize I forgot to highlight the hair on one of the Venom crew! lol

Anyway hope you guys like the update. Got some really cool stuff to announce soon. Stay tuned and talk soon.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1855 on: June 16, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
Awesome work as usual.

Quick and dirty tutorial for how you did the bonesinger helmet?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:26:08 PM by Partninja »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1856 on: June 17, 2018, 01:34:02 AM »
Loving that Bonesinger, Cavalier! That's actually one of my favorite Craftworld models, it's just so sleek. I wouldn't buy one though until the plastic version came out ;D! Slick-looking venoms, still not sure how you manage to paint them so well with the crews fully assembled, but you pull it off very well! 8)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1857 on: June 17, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
Never noticed the spirit stones on the incubi, but that's a neat back story. I'm not fully up on the ynnari lore. Do they still use spirit stones to avoid She Who Thirsts? Are they using the recovered stones to resurrect fallen eldar?

I can't wait for you to pick up your world eaters again.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1858 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
@Partninja- Hey Ninja thanks man. Glad you dig it. Yeah the Bonesinger helmet was super easy to paint. I painted it Celestra Grey, did a thinned down Coeilia Greenshade (using Lahmian MediuM) wash over it. Then did a little bit of touch up with Celestra, highlighted it with Ulthuan Grey and called it a day! If you a bit more indepth I wrote a tutorial on FLG about my approach to painting white. Check it out!

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2018/06/08/painting-white-is-easy-heres-how/

@MytenTal- Thanks so much MyenTal. Glad you like the Venoms. Not the most exciting additions, but man are they clutch to have in your collection. Yeah it was a bit tough painting them with the crew in there, but I'm more likely to butcher gluing them into place after I paint them, then painting them while there on there lol. Its more of a damage control issue than anything lol! Thanks bud

@Dog of War- Hey DoW thanks man. Yeah its been awhile since I've read Gathering Storm II but I'm pretty sure they all use Spirit Stones. I actually think they get powered up by having lots of spirit stones on them if I remember correctly. They can definitley super charge Wraith constructs like Wraithlords, Wraithguard and Knights. They make them quicker, stronger and more lucid, where their spirits are fully awakened. Also yeah I'm cranking through a new World Eaters unit at the moment so thats definitley a priority going forward. If not for the Harlequin challenge I'd be going full blast with them. But as soon as thats over its gonna be all 12th Legion all the time till they are rocking a good mix of 2k lists. Anyway thanks bud appreciate it!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1859 on: June 17, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »
Hey Cav!
Finally caught up on all your updates from the last couple of months :) Can't possibly comment on each individual model - but good lord, the feast for my eyes was so lush it was overwhelming! Everything is just supremely cool. Loved that new colour scheme that you did on incubi models, and of course those lions - oh my. And the sheer dynamism of that new succubus is such that it almost jumps out of the screen right at the viewer! Those death guard models are quite enjoyable to look at too.
Thank you for those updates, and keep them coming! :) The stuff you do literally takes the hobby to some transcendent level.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus