News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 78564 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #320 on: July 4, 2017, 06:14:26 AM »
Yeah absolutely not historically accurate, but yeah druids just look too cool ;)

Thanks Loosh! Always nice to get positive comments from such an accomplished painter as yourself ;) glad you like them
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
Well, I've been sitting on this dude for a while as I couldn't quite work out whether I liked the head I'd chosen or not. To the point that I wasn't really doing anything with him so I thought 'sod it, good enough' so here he is :)

Behold! Baharroth, The Cry of the Wind, The Winged Phoenix. Finest of the Asurya. 'Truescaled', so to speak :)

Now, the question is. How to paint him? Really, I lean pretty solidly towards Craftworld colours for Aspects, and don't wholly agree with the idea of named characters anyway. However, Phoenix Lords are jsut damn cool, and my favourite model ever when I was younger was Baharroth, so it had to be done :)

Does he look recognisably Baharroth to get away with a Craftworld colout scheme? Or does anyone have any ideas for making Baharroth's scheme a little more gritty?

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
Wow, Ynneadwraith!
That's a magic piece of work you've done there, mate. I'm actually recognizing some parts on this one for a change. Am torn as to the painting scheme. Would enjoy seeing this bloke with some color, however, he'd stand out like a sore thumb against the rest of your boys. So he wouldn't last long.

It's all up to you, mate. Your color choices have been spot on so far, so just go hard on it... Be well!   

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
WOW! Phenomenal work as always Ynnead. Just a sick, sick conversion. The gun, helmet, hair and blade are so stand-out but blend so well. Just killer work as always my friend.

As for a paint job... if you can dig up the old 3rd ed codex (or perhaps its in the 7th ed book as well) there was a dark blue + grey scheme with silver metallics and yellow accents (eye lenses etc) that just looked SICK for Swooping Hawks.

You could brush paint it too which is really nice. It was sort of a storm themed look which I loved.

Anyway great stuff bud keep rocking. Love your work!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Hot diggity, that's incredible!

Did you make the ribbons?

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2017, 03:07:02 AM »
Brilliant work indeed!

Does he look recognisably Baharroth to get away with a Craftworld colout scheme?
I didn't read the text at first, and went straight to the pictures. For the first few seconds I was looking at the gun, and my initial impression was that it is some kind of a corsair prince. However, the very second I noticed the sword, "Baharroth" instantly sprang to my mind. Only after that I went back to the text and got a confirmation that this is indeed Baharroth :) So yeah, I'd say he's nicely recognisable.

To be 100% precise, I'd say that the gun is a bit too clearly recognisable as a heat lance, which can be slightly confusing in the first few moments. If I were you, I'd do a little something with the thin tip of the gun - maybe even just shorten it by half.

Did you make the ribbons?
I bet that wings and ribbons come from the new Saint Celestine kit :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2017, 04:56:24 AM »
Thanks guys! Really glad you like him :)

@Saim-dann Recognising bits is tye start of the slippery slope my friend ;) i think you're right that he'll stand out, and i can't think of a way to get blues/greys to play nicely with reds/tans. However, i am definitely leaning towards the official scheme purely because he's a named character.

@Cav I'm glad the helmet works :) i wasn't sure about the feather as i quite like my stuff low-key, but it does give hime the extra 'baharroth' look so i went with it.

I'll have a flick through my 7th codex and see if it's there :) i've definitely got a 3rd ed one somewhere too, but lord knows where!

@Magen Not nearly talented enough to make those! They're from those floaty Stormcast dudes with the wings. Luckily the rune script on them actually looks vaguely eldar-like!

@SeekingOne Glad he's recognisible :) i originally had him with the Visarch's sword, but that just didn't look right. Definitely needs a scimitar ;)

I was searching around for a bit to replace the tip of the gun but couldn't find what i wanted. It needs to be like a miniature version of a Brightlance tip, but even in my cavernous bitsbox i couldn't find something suitable! I'm thinking a sensor from a craftworld vehicle of some sort would work, but i don't usually do vehicles...

I did plan on using Celestine's ribbons but they're so thin and delicate i doubt they'd hold him up! They're from those floating stormcast dudes :) I forget the name, but i always think they look a little...chubby...t o be flying. Does mean they need beefy scroll to hold them aloft though :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #327 on: July 18, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »
I like the gun as is... but if you are looking for a bit, I've used the scope on Dire Avenger catapults to make unique guns. Just an idea!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
He's beautiful Ynnead. I can't fault a dingle thing about him, he's just superb.

Although I do hope those wings aren't stuck in place. As Cav and I will attest, they are an absolute outrageously sexy lycra-clad pixie to paint when stuck to the body!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »
I do so love tge swear filter on this site ;)

Thanks Loosh :) really glad you like him. Hopefully the paint will do him justice!

Alas i have stuck them in place :S i've tried painting in parts before and i can't quite get the knack of it. Just can't picture how the colours will balance across the whole model for some reason.

I know to expect fiddliness and irritation as a consequence though! At least i'm prepared, right? ;)

Thanks Cav, i'll give that a try :) i'll test it out on something for a Ranger longrifle before changing Baharroth.

Actually, speaking of Rangers...

Of all those who travel the skeins of the webway, it is us outcasts, us vagrants, who most frequently plumb its depths. My craftworld kin seek to exploit it like a tool. The Commorites seek to control it like an animal. The Harlequins seek to hide within it like a maze. We, however, seek only to explore. - Ilgaith who Wanders

As you well know, the rift that bisects our galaxy has breached many gates, allowing She Who Thirsts to seep into our realm. However, that same breach has opened doors long thought sealed. I have braved the predators that stalk these forgotten passageways. Through broken portals, I have glimpsed views not seen since the Fall. There are Eldar there, I am sure of it. What do your runes say, Seer? Even my untrained mind can see these places are heavy with fate.

Ilgaith who Wanders? Hah! Is that what he's calling himself. We know him as Ilgaith the Deserter. Tell me, why do you trust his word?

Why did I desert? I'll tell you why. They didn't even give me a name. 'Warborn', is what they called me. One of thousands upon thousands, dragged from the vats of Commorragh, dressed in the uniform of Craftworld life and thrown into the meat-grinder of their pointless wars. I gave myself my name the day I deserted. Do you know what Ilgaith means? No longer faceless...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »
Crikey Moses, Ynnead!
He looks Micky Mouse, mate. Having a sword and all we can assume he's not your average scout, but a character?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »
Thanks dude! Well, sort of a character yeah. I've sort of gravitated towards the more INQ28/Inquisimunda thing where everyone's sort of a low-scale character (or, at least is individualised).

The original idea for him was as a lone wanderer, but then i started thinking it would be neat to do a little warband of deserters-turned-explorers. That was influenced somewhat by the little diagram of eldar cultures on the new BRB, where 'Outcasts' are their own separate culture alongside Craftworlders and Corsairs, which makes sense when you think of it as their mode of life is completely different to the Craftworlders. It's only called the Path of the Outcast because the Craftworlders worldview is as set paths reaching towards set destinations.

Then, i thought of the kickass name they gave not-Araloth in AoS: a 'Nomad Prince'.

So, how cool would it be to make an Eldar 'Nomad Prince' as sort of a Beggar-Prince of the outcasts and deserters. Sort of halfway between Rangers and Corsairs. Something to expand the idea of 'Outcast' beyond the narrow idea of Eldar who get bored with the Path and go exploring, into something like a vagrant itinerant culture of wanderlusting Eldar every bit as deep and broad as Craftworld or Commorrite culture.

This guy is hopefully the first of a number of waifs and strays depicting that culture (and the other assorted horrors that lurk within the crumbling realms of the webway).

Because Lord knows i need another new warband to make ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
Bwahaha!
Sure Ynnead, your shelves must have more dust than warbands. Would be interesting to see them all in one pic. A big honk'n field of unique units laid out on display. Not on a brown table though, mate. We won't see a blessed thing... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
Haha probably not wrong ;) also, I now sort of get why people don't do camouflaged armies...

Does sandy count?

Oh, and I found that pic from the BRB that I was on about showing 'Outcasts' as a separate culture, and also something tantalisingly Slaaneshi...

Also, reading this has made me realise just how much I dislike the word 'Aeldari'. So long as you steer clear of Newcrons and inter-species co-operation I try to be upbeat about fluff changes, but honestly it makes me shudder each time I read it :S It's less that we already had a perfectly serviceable word for it: Eldar (although that's part of it), but more that it's just an ungainly and ugly-sounding word in of itself. In addition to it being completely superfluous, it just doesn't sound nice, so I shall hereforth refuse to acknowledge its existence ;)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »
Of all those who travel the skeins of the webway, it is us outcasts, us vagrants, who most frequently plumb its depths. My craftworld kin seek to exploit it like a tool. The Commorites seek to control it like an animal. The Harlequins seek to hide within it like a maze. We, however, seek only to explore. - Ilgaith who Wanders
(...)
Why did I desert? I'll tell you why. They didn't even give me a name. 'Warborn', is what they called me. One of thousands upon thousands, dragged from the vats of Commorragh, dressed in the uniform of Craftworld life and thrown into the meat-grinder of their pointless wars. I gave myself my name the day I deserted. Do you know what Ilgaith means? No longer faceless...

This is just beatiful! Absolutely love the narrative. If only Black Library had some books about Eldar written in that style...
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #335 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »
Thanks dude! I'm glad you like it :) writing up little fluff snippets is one of my favourite bits about 40k.

I'd also love to read a BL novel about all the little Eldar bands that fall somewhere between or outside of the main Craftworld and Dark Eldar cultures :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
Have you ever stopped to wonder why Harlequins travel in packs? In the darkest nights, they remember they are not the apex predator of these twisted pathways... - Ilgaith who Wanders

Some say that of all the thousands upon thousands of Young Kings sacrificed to awaken the Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God...he is the only one to have been found alive. Perhaps this is true. Perhaps something altogether worse...

Our people must be strong to face that which is coming. The weak have no place by our side, lest they be the spear that wavers, the shield that drops, the flank that folds. - Message scrawled in blood, discovered atop the Laughing Mount

Remember the true nature of our Gods, cousin. The craftworlders may have cast him as their God of War, but first and foremost...Khaine is God of Murder.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:51:42 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2017, 01:18:29 AM »
Hey, Ynnead!
That's one twisted, nasty looking apex predator you've created there, mate. Really enjoyed the background written for them as well... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2017, 07:23:54 AM »
Wow... sick. I love the dark pallet (similar to your DE which I loved). The gore effects are absolutley killer... perfect accent for the model.

Awesome work as always Ynnead. Keep it up!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »
You're a true artist Ynnead :) The way how your pictures work together with the fluff text creates an exquisitely atmospheric experience.

Anyone patient enough can paint a picture full of neat and complex detail - but it takes a true artist to confer a feeling and create a living image with but a few precise strokes. If you know what I mean... )