News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Techpriests and priests as mandatory hq choices. FAQ: sure why not!!  (Read 1782 times)

Offline nurseninja

• Read my FanFic Fools!!
    • fanfic!!
Kinda makes them worth it and enable mOre fluffy lists!

Offline pudd

Re: Techpriests and priests as mandatory hq choices. FAQ: sure why not!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:30 AM »
Good for fluff yes.
Good for a couple of plasma cannon or eviscerator HQs yes.

Would be better if we still had the Honorifica Imperialis from the last codex. Priest or Techpriest with Company Commander stats, yes plz.

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
Im very excited about this!!!  Before the Priest and Tech Priest served real no purpose extra to fill in some additional points. Now they can be a HQ choice if i wish it and i can make fluffy list even fluff(ier).

Good for fluff yes.
Good for a couple of plasma cannon or eviscerator HQs yes.

honestly hadnt thought of that but yes that is amazing!  :o

Im excited to see where the new ideals and list may go with this one, Ad mech players must be rejoicing and jumping for joy

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

Offline nurseninja

• Read my FanFic Fools!!
    • fanfic!!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »
Also reduces the minimum mandatory purchasess to what, 205pts ?

Consider this too, now the Techpriest can unquestionably work in a vehicle and the fact they can be taken as a Self repair bot for say a Valkyrie  vendetta at the edge of the battlefield

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:19:51 AM by nurseninja »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
I JUST spotted this ruling. For instance, I'm surprised that I had not thought to ask this before... it makes sense and does not contradict the wording in the codex.

I feel like I'm always looking for a cheaper way to use my HQs. To the extent that i often use (when allowed) a salamander command tank in place of a CCS with chimera (half the points... does the same in terms of mobility and vehicle shooting... but loses out on bodies).

With this FAQ I will probbaly look to using a techpriest as the HQ in my tallarn mechanised force...

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
It was actually the first thing I spotted.

Why yes, now you can take 2 LRBTs in 500pts. Have fun with that.
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
^ Well, an empty CCS with 2x empty Vets would still leave you enough points for a pair of empty Russes, but point taken. :)

I'd be interested in trying to use a Techie with five Servitors as an assault unit... hoping a few survive to unleash Servo-arm attacks. The six [total] are cheaper than Straken with a naked CCS.  :-\

Though they can't take a Chimera of their own, it looks like the new FAQ allows an entire platoon to be put down during DOW... with no express limitation on the Dedicated transports... which means you could place the transport purchased for an Infantry Squad near the Techpriest's squad and have them embark at the earliest opportunity. Could be fun, and fluffy for the Mech-heads out there.

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
^ Well, an empty CCS with 2x empty Vets would still leave you enough points for a pair of empty Russes, but point taken. :)

I actually worked that out a while ago, it was because I did I know you can do it. Admittedly, a techpriest would be far more useful than an empty CCS.  :)(I posted it in the armylist section, but no one looked at it, I think. QQ)

So, clarify this for me (RandomGuardsman attempted this before, but I want to reitterate).

1) There is the paragraph describing the rule in the codex. I took it to mean that a Platoon, in terms of deployment, is one unit lock-stock-barrel.
2) Apparently, it wasn't airtight enough, so that I would be wrong, even though a logical inference would lend me to be correct.
3) Now, in all rule lawyer sense, I am right.
4) So all that changed is the wording of the rules to make it completely legal?
5) That's...pretty...uh...i dk, stupid.

Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
the problem is that whilst the codex described it as treated as a single unit... the rulebook example (using space marines) would seem to suggest that different elements of one unit are actually counted as individual units for DoW (a squad and their transport being two troop choices)...

The FAQ clarified that not only is the platoon a single unit... but any dedicated transports they have too.

Interestingly though, it would seem to mean that a unit of vets and THEIR transport ARE still considered as per the rulebook example (two units)... its just the platoon thats different thanks to its special rule.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Previously, there was nothing to indicate that all parts of the Platoon were to count as a "Single Unit" per DOW rules, only that you had to purchase all components under a single FOC choice.

No rules lawyering, just the way the RAW was.

More than anything, this FAQ balances non-combined infantry squads against the other more "individually powerful" troop selections, such as Combined Infantry or Veteran units.

It seems like a subtle way to encourage the use of at least one platoon in an IG list, instead of pure Vets. Having the multiple IS's on the table first turn is negligible, given Night Fight. Being able to set up in position, and thus not have to lose shooting power on the 2nd turn while moving into position is a powerful boost, however. :)

EDIT: Especially for HWS! Poop, I can put a HWS on the table initially and it can be pasted, or I can move it for 3 turns, not shooting their gun and have a 105 point sink!  Now they can set up and be properly protected. I swear, with the Lord Commie's Stealth Cloak boosting a whole combined squad, and the LD of nearby HWS, plus the newfound ability for HWS to not be nerfed 1/3 games, I might just start using them!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:59:31 PM by GreatBigTree »