News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Last Weekends ATC: Dealing with the spam.  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
Last Weekends ATC: Dealing with the spam.
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »
I don't know how many of you have seen these results but I wanted to take a minute and discuss the top lists and how to compensate for spam.

40k As a Team Sport, the ATC and ETC Lists

Take a look at the top five individual. Now I missed 2 editions worth of 40k, and I like 8th a lot, but this is just absurd. 3 Flyer lists and 2 hordes. You would need completely different tools to deal with these two types of lists and an all-comers list would likely not have enough of one. How is this anything other than rock, paper, scissors at this point?

Getting past the venting, if one were to hold a tournament, how would you plan to deal with these kind of problems? My initial thought would be to limit detachments to one of each, but the 2 stromraven spam lists from the ATC have no problem with that. Maybe you could go back to traditional force organization charts (circa 4th or 5th edition)? Any thoughts?

Edit: Meant to post this in general discussion (man I am way off). Feel free to ignore until the mods move it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:53:21 AM by Tweedz »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Last Weekends ATC: Dealing with the spam.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »
My local scene is sort of waiting for more codex's to drop before making any real changes. However, in the mean time there was talk of tournies talking about only allowing battalions. Just to keep things balanced until 8th edition shakes out more.

We also play at 1500 which keeps things rather balanced due to limitations.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
At least on paper, the solution seems fairly simple to me: allow just one detachment per army at least up to 2k points.

Imho, the available set of detachments gives people great choice of army structures, and compensates for the fact that different indexes may have their best units concentrated in different FOC sections. However, any of the available detachments is more than enough to accommodate a full 2000 pts army, provided its units feature some reasonable variety of battlefield roles. IMHO this is much more reasonable and fair than restricting people to just battalions, but allowing multiples of those.

Maybe make it one "standard" detachment + one super-heavy auxiliary + one fortification.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »
We also play at 1500 which keeps things rather balanced due to limitations.

I strongly believe (and have strongly believed) that doing this cuts down on the amount of bullamphetamine parrot by a LOT. Only so many shenanigans you can play down here.

I also think the 1 detachment limit is totally reasonable and not terribly onerous to enforce. 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »

Found this image representing the competitive meta. pretty funny.

Going to my first tournament tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing tons of spam, assault cannon razorbacks, riflemen dreads, storm ravens and tons of knights.

From the looks of things, ITC is going to comp 8th edition pretty hard soon.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
If you see any Riptide spam it's a cry for help.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
If you see any Riptide spam it's a cry for help.

Good luck spamming Riptides. They cost as much as Knights used to.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
Yeah, the age of scat-bikes + Wraithknight + Riptide wing is done. I'll be happy to never see a riptide again.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »
The People's Glorious Democratic Republic of Tourney rule writers have certainly made that more probable.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 11:08:05 PM »
The answer is Orks, lots of Orks.  I've heard good things about taking masses of Stormboys, the Nob can punch flyers just fine while the boys can club hoards.

But, really, the sane option is to avoid tournaments full of socially inept people obsessively trying to win via desperate shenanigans.  My army has no shooting other than Smite and I feel fine.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.