News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: religon  (Read 25705 times)

Offline Vanyar

• eldar unite and bring death to all mon-keigh
Re:religon
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2002, 04:11:59 PM »
I belive in a god and all but i dont realy belive in one solid religion though as my parents are Roman Catolic(christian)i suppose im closer to that side
i belive in anarchy although im too young to speak out my opinions very publicly but i belive peole decide for themselves what is right and wrong and shouldnt depend on a single writing as these aree rather inflexible if he is good he is repayed both in this life and whatever comes if hes bad hes punished
also religions seem to cause alot of problems nowadays

Offline Star.Scream

• The OLD Transformers were the best! - Classic!!!
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2002, 01:41:25 AM »
>>>>>I am also a Christian.  I have often thought of posting and seeing who else beleives in God, but never thought it would be a good idea - unfortunatly there is A LOT of controversy around Religions (obvious i know).  

It is encouraging to see so many other Christians out there, and if your Chrisitian and not attending Church find one!!!  I personally go to my youth group, not the normal service on Sunday( a little odd? perhaps.  Do i stil whorship, oh my yes!)

It is encourging to see all of use apart of different faiths to get along here....no argueing about God and Allah, no condeming each other, its the way things should be, the only way somebody can change their faith is if they look to -

Sorry about the rant, nice to see us all co-operating.
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies." - StarScream

"You can never know everything, and part of what you do know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies on going on anyway."
-al'Lan Mandragoran, p.600 Winters Heart, book nine of the series "The Wheel of Time," by Robert Jordan.

Cheantoa

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2002, 01:47:29 AM »
Caladai;
The reason all us different religoned people get along, is because we all except eachother's differences... and I choose not to take up the religous call to Evangelate the lot of you... not really a funny joke... and because religon is... well, sacred... you don't screw with it...

I still don't understand people who don't believe in religon or anything... Do they believe that there is nothing more than what they can see? (trully curiose, not trying to be offensive...)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2002, 05:25:54 AM »
I am a zen-taoist, possibly the only one on this board. There aren't that many world-wide, as far as I know, and even fewer in wargaming.

Zen-Taoism differ from Taoism (as if you didn't allready know,  ::) ) by adding the quality and search for knoweldge and experience to the otherwsie somewhat laid-back attitude of the Taoism.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Karakth

• The Dark Eldar don't kill- They Slaughter!
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2002, 01:31:32 PM »
Roman Catlic.
~Karakth

Offline Puffin Magician

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2002, 03:44:26 PM »
Athiest... my mind is cleanly devoted to my lifeblood, the Internet. Bah@religion... Science wins :)

Offline McDiz

• I don't like Linkin Park anymore. :[
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2002, 03:50:41 PM »
I am pure Christian.

[shadow=red,left,300]PaPaNaRf[/shadow]
Flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist
Wither by the watering hole, water patrol
What are we, a heart huckabee, art beslubberery suddenly?
Not enough young in his lung for the water wings?

Offline Vlad the Imploder

• Funky generators eat fan motors.
Re:religion
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2002, 04:40:20 PM »
I am a practicing Roman Catholic, recently returning to the Church after a long absence of twelve years.

I went through the whole atheism thing, once.  I used to insist that science and reason explained everything, I used to insist that everyone was "ramming their religion down my throat", I used to be anti-church and anti-believer.  However, at long last I realized that I was being an intolerant jerk, and that the only one ramming beliefs down anyone's throat was me.   And then, THEN I went through the worst time of my life, starting with a really horrible career move and culminating in my divorce.  You do not know despair until you have experienced it without God -- a despair which is compounded because the only thing standing in the way is yourself and your stubborn pride.  Just trust me on this one.  And after twelve years of something very important missing from my life, I swallowed my pride, and went back to the Church, and discovered that it wasn't the hive of intolerance that I thought it was back in my prideful teenage years, and that it filled that hole that had been there for so long.  Far from being a place where free will is stifled, free will is at the center of it all -- for what is faith without the free choice to have it?  How sincere is a belief that you're forced to hold?  Why, to paraphrase Charles Darwin, would God give you free will with one hand and forbid you to use it with the other?  Answer: he wouldn't.

I'm now more confident in my faith than ever before, and I actually feel that my faith is well-grounded.  It's more than just going to mass on Sunday and saying the right words.  

And I agree with Cheantoa -- what should keep us believers together is looking for the common ground, the things we can agree on -- although around here there are a great many people who love to dwell on the differences and the details without remembering that us believers are on the same side.  

Cheers,

The imploder.

Offline Rommel151

• It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2002, 05:16:01 PM »
Quenture, I think the question we're all dying to ask(since you don't find many women around these parts) is, ARE YOU A HOTTIE?

Offline Star.Scream

• The OLD Transformers were the best! - Classic!!!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2002, 07:30:26 PM »
>>>>>Well said Vlad the Imploder, i know how you mean with your faith being even stronger than before.  Cheantoa, you also make a very important point - we can all respect each other in our own faiths.  It is good thing to see.

FYI about Darwin - he was a Catholic that wrote that book that started the Evolution theory.  He never met for it to be taken so seriously - he was a devoute Catholic all his life.  Odd isn't it?
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies." - StarScream

"You can never know everything, and part of what you do know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies on going on anyway."
-al'Lan Mandragoran, p.600 Winters Heart, book nine of the series "The Wheel of Time," by Robert Jordan.

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2002, 09:15:15 PM »
i'm a anti-church and anti-believer myself but i never go up to someone and go "no that is not right". they chose to belive what they want to and so do i. I my self think religon is like a escape from reality. people practice religon because they are weak and cant handle reality.

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2002, 09:31:15 PM »
hmmm...well i feel really bad for someone as misguided as yourself....
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline Quenture

• Only in screams can true poetry be found.
    • The Wild Hunt
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2002, 10:11:04 PM »
*blinks...coughs...hears crickets chirping*

Well then...I can't really answer that question without sounding like I'm either A)fishing for compliments B)insecure or C) just really really arrogant...

But seeing as I'm a vicious DE playing woman who adores the manipulative power she has, and who is in fact very arrogant...

Yes.  I'm pretty darn hot.

Anyway...this is another one of those dangerous posts, but I just have to say that I'm proud of everyone for taking different opinions pretty well, as a whole.

I'm Lutheran.  Raised that way.  Thought through it on my own.

I'm not weak.

*shrugs*

Quenture
We will compose symphonies with the shrieks of the dying, and pen epics with the blood of the defeated.

Offline McDiz

• I don't like Linkin Park anymore. :[
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2002, 10:12:58 PM »
Yes.  I'm pretty darn hot.

Quenture

Mind sending me a pic? ;) 8)

<edit>Guy's it was a joke, dont take it so seriously... ::)</edit>

[shadow=red,left,300]PaPaNaRf[/shadow]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2002, 12:26:29 PM by PaPaNaRf »
Flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist
Wither by the watering hole, water patrol
What are we, a heart huckabee, art beslubberery suddenly?
Not enough young in his lung for the water wings?

Offline StevenSwayze

• You know what I say when it's miller time?
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2002, 01:56:01 AM »
For the love of god is this thread going to degenerate into masturbatory cannonfodder?!?! You don't need pictures buddy you can find any ol pic from the internet and pretend if you need to.

On the religion thing I'm sort of undecided. It's sort of like I'm christian but really dislike church and the orginization of religion. If we all just had a personal relationship with God and maybe did'nt worry so much about being alone in our beliefs.....
"We really shook the pillars of heaven this time, did'nt we Wang." Jack Burton

Cheantoa

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2002, 03:21:19 AM »
Papanarf, if you're gonna say something like that, Embarass yourself privatly, via personal message. That way the rest of us don't need to see it...

Boyprodigy, I have just finished reading your line

I my self think religon is like a escape from reality. people practice religon because they are weak and cant handle reality.

That's your own personal opinion, and that's fine, but- have you ever expereinced a church sermon?
I see what you're saying, with people living because they believe that they'll get rewarded in heaven...
But that's not really the point of it. Go read afew parts of the bible, IMO it should be the new testament, and it doesn't just give people a reason to live... It teaches them how to live, harmoniously, kindly, happily with eachother, accepting eachother... and such...

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2002, 09:48:26 AM »

Athiest... my mind is cleanly devoted to my lifeblood, the Internet. Bah@religion... Science wins :)

Interesting...

Albert Einstien, a scientist/physicist of passable intellect, is quoted as saying ,about the order of things in the Universe, "God does not play at dice."

What a weak-minded dolt he must have been, huh?

I have no problems with what other folks believe though, and support y'all in your freedom to go to hell if you want to...all I'm saying is you don't HAVE to, and I'll leave it right there. ;)

`Boss!
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline Rommel151

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2002, 09:52:58 AM »
I am a christian. I spend as much time in prayer, church and the bible as I can. I don't do it to escape from reality be cause it is reality. It is the most accurate account from those times. The first of the writings about Jesus were made just 60 years after his death. That is unparralled in ancient history. Even writings about Caeser were more than a century in coming. How accurate do you think they are?

You can't stand in the Rocky mountains in Feb., Lay on the beach in Fiji, wach a baby's birth, or think about the complexity of the human body and human emotions and think that it all happened by accident! A person who can do that is the one living outside of reality. I don't force religion or my relationship with God on anyone but if they ask I am more that open to sharing.

Besides why do atheists go to athheist church? Is that like a support group for people who are try to ignore the truth? Not trying to prod, just wondering.

Glad to hear it Quenture! We need more people like you in the gaming stores. We are looking a little nerdy with out Ladies like yourself around.

Offline Vlad the Imploder

• Funky generators eat fan motors.
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2002, 10:15:52 AM »
Erm, just to clarify something, when I said that "around here" there are a lot of people who like to dwell on their differences, I didn't mean the EO community!  I hope nobody took it that way.  When I said that, I meant my geographical area (the upper South in the United States), where more than one person has said to me, "Oh, you're Catholic?  I'm sorry, I thought you were Christian."  Again, if we sat down and talked about it with clear heads and open minds, we'd realize we're not that far apart after all (for example, check out the dialogue between the Catholic and Lutheran churches on the issue of justification by faith.  We really AREN'T that far apart when you really compare them.)

Sorry for the confusion, if any.  :)

Offline Rommel151

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2002, 10:20:56 AM »
Personally I have no problems with Catholics as a whole, I even started to convert at one time but I just found a few too mant things in the Catholic faith I wasn't 100% on. Of course like anyone I think mine is the best right? I think most all of the western/European factions of christianity are on the right track, and I think they all some problems but we're human.