News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2012 40KOnline UK Tournament!!!  (Read 107022 times)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: 2012 40KOnline UK Tournament!!!
« Reply #760 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
Don't say it!

You do not need anything painted... just built! If you are short some models then let us know, I will see if I have what you need to lend you for the day!

I know it's a long day and all - but it'll be a shame for you to miss out!

It's the whole army thats not ready. It's in Preston and in a state of "pre-assembly". I had the army commissioned two months ago with yesterday as the deadline. Nick from worthy painting, has told me he's willing to offer me a discount, for not having it ready. So unless someone is willing to lend me an entire Necron army?

It's a shame really, as I was looking forward to tomorrow. I guess there's always next year.

Ah, well, yea that's a big case of not ready! What a shame. Well, hopefully the discount will help soften the blow. Perhaps, if there is enough interest, we may not even have to wait a whole year!?! It seems as though you are unfortunately not the only one who has suffered late dissapointment in not being able to attend...  :-\

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #761 on: August 18, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Army packed in bag.  Woke up at 2am.  Going to be drinking a lot of caffiene today.

Oh, and after reading through the rules again I've decided its better to stand out in the open then to put my units inside intact buildings.  Those things are deathtraps!
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #762 on: August 19, 2012, 01:53:07 AM »
Don't say it!

You do not need anything painted... just built! If you are short some models then let us know, I will see if I have what you need to lend you for the day!

I know it's a long day and all - but it'll be a shame for you to miss out!

It's the whole army thats not ready. It's in Preston and in a state of "pre-assembly". I had the army commissioned two months ago with yesterday as the deadline. Nick from worthy painting, has told me he's willing to offer me a discount, for not having it ready. So unless someone is willing to lend me an entire Necron army?

It's a shame really, as I was looking forward to tomorrow. I guess there's always next year.

Crap. If I'd have known about this before 6pm yesterday I could have brought you one. :(
I have a Codex Marine army I can bring if you reply in the next 20 minutes...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #763 on: August 19, 2012, 02:10:26 AM »
So we begin. Once more a group of scoundrels gather to compare wit and brawn on a poorly assembled field of battle looking like a collapsible table covered in Christmas decorations. There can be only one victor, two daves, a mike or three, and a yugo. At the end, one may stand triumphant surrounded by the sullied remains of his opponents. Even so, it's the after/pre match ale that really counts and we'll have nothing bad said about curry night either. Avaunt!
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline CloverSquirrel

• Their Number is Legion, Their Name is Death
  • Armies: Necrons
« Reply #764 on: August 19, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Well this was a fantastic day out! :D Personally happy with the games I had and everyone was great fun to play with and talk to. Looking forward to the next one!
Battle record:
W:22  L:8  D:2
Tesseract Labyrinth'd:
2xHive Tyrant, 1xWolf Priest, 1xVulkan He'stan, 2xLogan Grimnar, 1xTrygon Prime, 1xDaemon Prince, 1xChaos Lord, 1xChaos Sorcerer
Tournaments:
40kOnline 2012 UK: 5th

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #765 on: August 19, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
The day was sullied even with the lack of Tarrin.

I didn't even get the Mostly Harmless award because someone somehow performed worse then I did.  And I didn't get my curry.

On the upside, at least my arse isn't as sore now.
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #766 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »
Wait, no curry? Why no curry?
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Unleash Mayhem

• - In Vulkan's Name -
  • Armies: Salamanders 1st and 2nd Company, Imperial Guard
« Reply #767 on: August 19, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Any chance of a list of how well everyone did? I had to leave minutes before the awards etc. to catch my train :(
And to anyone who saw me leaving, I caught it with less than 30 seconds to spare.... (last one of the day as well)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #768 on: August 19, 2012, 07:48:54 PM »
I came 4th equal with Loriziel (who fielded dirty cheaty grey knights), no prizes for me.

Killing Time came 3rd, so needs his title updated to reflect that he does play 40k rather well indeed, or perhaps the quantum status of channelling tarrin's sullied ways took more effect than anticipated! Who knows?

1st round grudge match versus zilverscale's nasty eldar corsairs! I won purely on secondary objectives as we ran out of time on turn 4 and play was stopped before either of us got a hold of the objective.

2nd round Phil with 'nids, (can't remember if he has a forum name or not? Sorry) turned into a bit of a rollover as I managed to mug both Mawlocs when they attended and storm talon gunships used hover strike to gun down tons of bugs... if they weren't dirty xenos it would have been a war crime! :P

3rd round Erriond's Eldar, nice to meet and play the chap who kicked off the 40KO tournaments, and shoot his eldar to peices. Turned into quite a bloody game of kill points, shining spears attempt get some biker superiority on the white scars who fought to a standstill. The second game where cheaty stormtalons manage to far outperform anything that land speeders could have done.

4th round. Jason with Grey knights a fellow Bristol vanguard player and occasional visitor to 40KO, playing the mission where you get 6 different value objectives it turned out the most valuable were in my deployment zone. So a bit of a stand off game forcing the grey knights to come to me, and taking apart in detail. A Stormraven gunned both my Stormtalons out the sky which made me sad though, poor gunships heated by by a bigger plane...

Still 4 wins but no massive pile of victory points for a podium finish. Most importantly 4 really enjoyable games against good folks. And congratulations to Google and Oink for wonderful organisation!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #769 on: August 19, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »
I won purely on secondary objectives as we ran out of time on turn 4 and play was stopped before either of us got a hold of the objective.

What was the issue with time? Units, rules, combination?
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #770 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:49 AM »
When we were playing round 4 on the top tables, there were 5 Grey Knight players in the top 8.

I had the privilage of kicking one of them out of the ranking places, while a Necron player managed to climb into 2nd spot (though I'm not sure who he was playing against).

Top three were:
1st Grey Knights - some sort of 3 dreadknight spam list
2nd Necrons - no idea what it had in it
3rd Eldar - my un-cheesy sub-optimised soft hybrid list of ultimate doom

Game 1 The Relic
I played against a nid list (same one Hymirl played in round 2).
I splatted his Swarm Lord with long range firepower in turn 1 and things went downhill for him from then on.
Highlights of the game included charging a Mawloc with my Farseer to tie it up for a turn, causing a couple of wounds with my witchblade and then finishing the job with fire dragons using melta bombs in cc.
Final victory points 5-0

Game 2 was Crusade against the ever popular Chaos Space Wolves.
The list included a big wolfy wolf lord on a thunder wolf with some wolves, a unit of thuderwolves, three big grey hunter squads with Rune Priests in each, and a couple of Long Fang squads.
I managed to squish one Long Fangs unit with sniper fire and the warwalkers in the first turn and then scragged the other on turn 2 with deep striking warp spiders. This basically gave me the match as he was limited to using living lightning as his sole long ranged anit-tank, and this never works out well when your opponent is an Eldar player with Runes of Warding.
A bladestorm polished off most of his wolflord squad and I had a relatively simple time picking off most of the Grey Hunters to allow me to outscore him by three objectives to one.
A really good game against a very likable chap called Dave.
Final victory points 11-3

Game 3 was Purge the Alien against Benis and his Daemons
I've never played against Daemons before so I was intrigued to see how they would work, and it's great to put faces to forum names you've know for ages.
Benis managed to get me on the back foot early on by taking out my Avenger's wave serpent, and the whole game turned into a bit of a street fight as we scrapped it out for kill points.

And then the weirdest thing happened.
About halfway through turn four a quantum wormhole opened and the words "five minutes left!" rang across the hall. I looked at Benis and told him what I'd heard, so we agreed to finish this turn and pack up, leaving us on 7 victory points each. Having already cleared away our models it became clear that everyone was still playing and we actually had a good half an hour left.
The spirit of Tarrin was clearly strong here and the result sullies what should otherwise have been a pristine and honorable draw.

Game 4 - The Scouring against Grey Knights
So with some surprise I found myself in the mix amongst all the Grey Knight players scrapping it out for the top places (and Hymirl).
The Scouring could well be a mission that suited me since I have both warp spiders and swooping hawks in my list. My opponent had an interceptor squad so I decided it need to die quickly.
Sniper fire and war walkers duly obliged and then I sacrificed the hawks in a grenade run on his psyfleman dread that was threatening my skimmers. Boom.
Dragons popped a landraider, and I rather surprised my opponent with what doom, bladestorm and triple flamer storm guardians will do to even a ten strong unit of grey knight terminators.
With the big threats reduced I had pretty good board control and was able to claim the lions share of the high value objectives. I also got bonus points for killing his fast attack squad which also turned out to be first blood.
Final score 11-8

In the end I think 6th Edition has been very kind to my list. It certainly seems to favour the balanced approach and it's nice to be able to field things like swooping hawks in a tournament without feeling like you're throwing games.
I was really pleased with the way the list played and very satisfied with the final result.

And congrats to Google and Oink for another great event.
There were many compliments throughout the day on what a friendly environment it was.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #771 on: August 20, 2012, 04:35:22 AM »
I won purely on secondary objectives as we ran out of time on turn 4 and play was stopped before either of us got a hold of the objective.

What was the issue with time? Units, rules, combination?

Late start, due to 'someone' getting lost repeatedly on the way there.

Hense I blame Hymirl for not winning my first game!  If I had a full 4 turns I'd have all the objectives no problem - as it was I only got 2 turns and my opponant got 3!
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #772 on: August 20, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »
Great event, Great games, really glad to have the opportunity to put names to faces.

Big thanks to Prometheus and Google for looking after me.
Big up my man Erriond for his drunken yet futile challange at 11 o'clock on Saturday night.

And many thanks to all the guys I played. Mortoc, Graham, Loziel and Zilverscale.

O:nk made me do the Macarena so I don't like him anymore. Although I think this was a fix to put the only guy with a AA tank against the only only Nid player fielding 5 flyers...

Next time I'l bring a proper army ;0)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #773 on: August 20, 2012, 05:35:58 AM »
It seems as though sixth edition will strengthen my Eldar force, in view of the performance of Dizz's army outlined above.  Well played :).

It looks as though great fun was had by all.  I'm sorry I missed it.  I might make it to the 2014 event.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #774 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:42 AM »
Well, yesterday was my first tournament ever, and it was awesome fun.  It’s a bit weird to meet all the forum people in the flesh.  Of everyone I met, I think O:nk looks least like his profile picture – I always thought you’d be ... rounder.  I've posted my army list on the Tau forum, if anyone's interested, and my photos for the day can be found on Flickr via my sig (although I only have photos of my games, so they may not be of that much interest).

The Games...

The Relic, Hammer and Anvil Deployment, vs Dwarf 2’s (sorry, can’t remember your real name! PM me and I’ll edit) Ultramarines.

This game got me off to a good start.  My opponent deployed quite far back for some reason, which allowed me to infiltrate my Kroot right onto the relic.  It also meant that I could really milk the first turn of night-fighting.  There was a lot of woodland on the board, and I was quite fortunate with my mysterious forest rolls, unlike my opponent, whose deepstriking terminators scattered into some brainleaf fronds and then proceeded to power-fist each other. I took the relic, first blood and linebreaker to win 5-0.

Crusade (4 objectives), Vanguard Strike, vs Phil’s (SeriousCallersOnly) Tyranids.

My gunline sat and waited whilst he came to me.  Everything was going well until I fluffed a couple of morale checks, and his deep-strikers started to arrive.  We were still fairly evenly matched when we had to call it at the end of turn 3 (large armies and lack of rules-familiarity slowed us down), although another turn would probably have turned it into a decisive victory for one side or the other. He finished with 2 objectives and linebreaker. I had one objective, first blood, linebreaker and slay the warlord. 6-7.  This was the first time I’ve ever played against Nids, and was good fun.

Purge the Alien, Dawn of War, vs Jason Tovey’s Grey Knights.

I took a sound spanking.  Psycannons and Stormbolters moved into range on turn one, and fairly effectively outshot my Fire Warriors.  I whittled down a good number of his squads, but found it very hard to land the killing blow.  Then his Stormchicken full of Terminators arrived, along with a deep-striking Dreadknight, and once they were among my lines I was in real trouble.  Possibly my best moment of the day came when my Kroot overwatched his Terminator Librarian to death though, who was also his warlord!  That saved me from being tabled. 7-12.  This was also the most visually pleasing game of the day, as the scenery matched my army!

The Scouring, Dawn of War, vs Steve’s (I think! again please PM to correct me) Space Wolves.

Having invested yesterday in the GW objective dice, I had a chance to use them!  They’re definitely better looking than paper, but probably cost more than they’re worth.  This board had a lot of city terrain, giving vehicles plenty of places to hide, making it the most tactically challenging game of the day.  I was fortunate to have the 4pt objective, a 2 and a 3 on my side of the board, forcing my opponent to come to me.  He had a frustratingly effective tactic of sticking Terminator-armoured Wolf Guards at the front of Grey Hunter squads, forcing most shooting hits onto the harder armour then rolling for Look Out Sir! when he failed a save.  In the end, it came down to last-turn manoeuvring to claim and contest objectives.  The improved jet-pack movement and some good rolls really helped me here, and I took the game 9-4.

Overall, I came 11= in the arcane ranking system used by g00gle5/oink, as my more average tactical prowess was boosted by my pretty army.

Many thanks to everyone who was involved in making the day happen, and particularly to g00gle5 for the lift - if you want petrol money you need to send me some bank details.

Cheers all,

-Jonathan

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #775 on: August 20, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »
It was a awesome day and the people at triple helix and the curry was great.

On another note I had to take a shower when I got in (which some of you may think was due to the hot weather) but was in fact due to playing as Googles grey knights the whole day.

Proving that they require very little skill whatsoever to play and adding insult to injury won game 3 Vs Oink and Google (Yes I played both of them at the same time) with the good old fashioned rhino rush (+ 2 Dreadknights and an interceptor squad).

In the end got stomped in my final game to decide the winner (ha me 3 points of first in 2nd place) Vs a 3 Dreadknight list which came down to 2 sets of dice roles right at the start the result of which left me 2 dead Dreadknights and him 3 alive to go stomp the rest of my army into little pieces and leave me on the wrong end of an 11-0 result.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

or 2 or 3 or 5 in the top 10.......and who says grey knights ain't the best god damn army to ever grace the Warhammer universe...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:15:10 AM by premetheus »

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #776 on: August 20, 2012, 07:25:29 AM »
He had a frustratingly effective tactic of sticking Terminator-armoured Wolf Guards at the front of Grey Hunter squads, forcing most shooting hits onto the harder armour then rolling for Look Out Sir! when he failed a save.

This was played incorrectly, if using a unit all with the same save then it's ok, but if they have different saves then the 'Look out Sir!' rolls needed to be rolled before taking any saving throws.

I'm sure Hymirl will be along momentarily to further clarify with his rules interpreting godliness.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline ZerberusKnight

• By blood, by blade!
    • My Tumblr
  • Armies: Space Wolves
« Reply #777 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
I had great fun with the tourny, came 6th (with beslubber loads of other people). Much better than any of us expected... We were honestly expected that all of us from the Somerset Sternguard were gonna up at the bottom of the list. Just goes to show the might of the dwarves I guess!

Cheers greatly to Oink and Google for organising the event, to the guys at Triple Helix for letting us steal their aircraft hangar like warehouse to play with lil plastic dudes and finally a big thanks to Snow White (Steve a.k.a. Ginzu) for getting the tickets, getting us together, giving me a lift to street and taking us (leading Phil and Ash) to the event!

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #778 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
He had a frustratingly effective tactic of sticking Terminator-armoured Wolf Guards at the front of Grey Hunter squads, forcing most shooting hits onto the harder armour then rolling for Look Out Sir! when he failed a save.

This was played incorrectly, if using a unit all with the same save then it's ok, but if they have different saves then the 'Look out Sir!' rolls needed to be rolled before taking any saving throws.

I'm sure Hymirl will be along momentarily to further clarify with his rules interpreting godliness.

robo

Correct. The mixed saves rules apply here so wounds are allocated (and therefore moved by LOS!) before saves are rolled

I thought this is the chap who played Killing Time in the previous round... EDIT: No it was a different chap! Carry on!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:29:58 AM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #779 on: August 20, 2012, 10:11:08 AM »

robo

Correct. The mixed saves rules apply here so wounds are allocated (and therefore moved by LOS!) before saves are rolled

I thought this is the chap who played Killing Time in the previous round...

Well, come to think of it, it only happened once.  If it was the same guy, maybe he forgot in the heat of the moment, and then didn't repeat it again.  Or maybe it wasn't the same guy at all.

I certainly learned a thing or two about the rules yesterday - you just don't think of stuff sometimes until it happens on the gaming table.