News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48665 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys :)

Yeah I've had a play around with my sister's Huawei P9 which is very impressive at macro and low light stuff. Bit high-contrast on the stock camera settings, but definitely more what I'm after than the Z5 (great camera, but wide-angle lens is tailored to landscape shots).

Have been getting the hang of it recently though :)

'What happened at the lab was regrettable'. On the face of it that didn't sound like that stern of a rebuke, but only an Inquisitor could say it in such a way that you knew you were up the proverbial creek. Now he had a new task. Travel into the Fenrisian Reaches and recover evidence of these wolf-mutants in the wild.

The Fenrisian Reaches! Emperor's teeth. Not a place he'd hoped to visit. Less an official sector, more a band of space radiating from the home of the Wolves. An unintentional diaspora of fenrisian stock, scattered in the wake of the Wolves' crusades. A savage place inhabited by savage people.

Still, he was a little excited to be out in the field again. Cataloguing strains of human mutation was his primary mission after all. Perhaps there would even be the opportunity to sell some novel ones to his contacts in the lunite gene-crafters or something. Yes, you know, this expedition might not be that bad at all.

IV and VII were just simple replicae-drones. Capable, obedient and most importantly easily replaceable. Ideal for a trip to the Fenrisian Reaches.

Luggage, on the other hand, he was genuinely proud of. Simple thing really, but it was entirely of his own design.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:29:12 AM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

I like it!
A chore for each drone... and luggage? He looks eager to please. Nice one, Ynnead!... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Absolutely :) a webber for capturing 'samples', tazer goad if they object, and Luggage for luggage :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Recently I've been pretty good at sticking to one warband at a time. Getting at least five or six models before slewing off in another direction, but I've built up a bit of a backlog of painted models I haven't shown yet so I thought 'sod it lets just post them' ;) so here's the first of the batch

I didn't realise they had priests, or shamans, or whatever they are.

That's the thing. People seem to think they're animals. Mind you, most people who think that don't tend to think it for very long...

Someone over on the INQ28 boards also mentioned that it would be cool to see some closer-up shots. Unfortunately, my phone struggles somewhat with macro photography, but it does shoot in pretty decent resolution so I can happily crop away :) if people prefer this sort of shot then I'll start cropping some more :)

I also thought it would be a neat idea to start offering links to high-res versions so people can zoom to their heart's content and merrily point out all of the casting lines I've managed to miss ;)

Wolf duders:
Here, here, here, and here

Biologis Gribblies
Here, here, and here.

I'll be ordering a lightbox soon so I'll do a big high-res redux when I get that :)

Offline Saim-Dann

Magic, Ynnead!
Just blessed magic. Yes please to the cropping, mate... and a priest? Niiiiice! Kicked another goal, Ynnead... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Wow they look great Ynnead. Just fantastic little gribblies. The modelling is absolutley top notch and the paint jobs are freaking awesome! Your painting skills were always strong, but I feel like you've really leveled up man. Just awesome looking models. They look almost alive! Always creative, always awesome. Keep on rocking man this stuff just keeps getting better.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
That shaman is an excellent model Ynnead! So believable it almost looks alive actually.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks guys! Really glad you you them :)

Been really enjoying making and painting these. The sort of basecoat + haphazard drybrushing + wash seems to be taking to them better than I'd hoped :) dead quick to do too, which is the main thing for a lazy painter like me ;)

Did I mention I had a bit of  backlog from mucking about with the camera? I've had these guys waiting for ages and have been itching to finish them :)

On the darkened moons above the nine realms lurk a pale and pallid people. Void-folk the kearls call 'dokkalfar'.

There are few among those stranded folk that retain the ability to travel between worlds. The Crows have ships, with which they flit between battlefields picking over the spoils. The dokkalfar have ships, with which they raid and plunder the worlds below.

Alfar voidsuits, although roughly made, are prized possessions throughout Útgarðar. Similarly, alfar weaponry is deemed to be of finer quality.

If life is so hard on their airless moon, you ask, why don't they invade the land below? Simple. Gravity.

Their bacchanal rites before raids involve ritual partaking of steroidal substances, for despite their continual consumption of low-grade steroids a kearl still has an edge. In the long term, our world is as hostile to them as theirs is to us.

So that's the first of the Dokkalfar :) the idea and look of these guys has been rattling around in my head ever since I saw this awesome thread over on the INQ28 boards. The phrase 'The Handmade voidsuits of the nomadic tribes of the northern Segmentum Ultima reflect a familial lineage of mariners, explorers and merchants.' just opened my mind to the idea of techno-tribal cultures living in void environments.

At the same time, I had another idea floating around of a raiding culture that descended from the crew of a crashed tithe ship, with a religious belief that they have been given divine licence to 'tithe' resources from the other cultures around them. Only recently did it occur to me that I could combine the two ideas for this project :) the resulting idea was pretty close to how Dark Eldar raiding society functions, so given that my kearls are descended from abandoned Space Wolf serfs they'd probably conflate the two and start calling these space-borne raiders 'alfar' as well :)

So yeah :) hope you like them!

Oh, and here's some high res shots:

One
Two
Three

Oh, and speaking of painting, if I started with a black undercoat rather than white these would be the easiest and quickest things to paint in the world. Undercoat black, rough drybrush of Administratum Grey on cloth, rough drybrush of Leadbelcher on metal followed by a smaller drybrush of Chainmail (remember that?!), pick out red lenses and wax (Wazdakka with Wild Rider highlights for optics),  Ushabti Bone ceramics and paper, couple of spots of Warplock Bronze on pipes and stuff, wash the lot with gloss Nuln Oil. Job done!

Oh, and I've been making  point of not really posting WIPs as a tool to motivate me to pqint stuff, but this one's just for Cav ;)

I was feeling that my previous Barsoomians weren't quite cutting the mustard, so I pit some more effort in and made this guy:

Replete with Martian-standard armament of pistol, longsword and dagger, and a rifle worthy of a true son of Barsoom ;)

Only question is how to paint him. Tried with the other two but was never happy with the result.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:11:16 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Very nice Ynnead. I really like these guys.... man you should really start some kind of RPG campaign with all this stuff. Gather up a few guys, pick a system (maybe play a heavily "counts-as" version of Kill Team) and have people pick a faction or something and you could Dungeon Master some adventures. Just brilliant stuff man.

Love the Barsoomian dude too. What bits did you use to make him? Incredible he's unrecognizable! Anyway keep it up man and please do us and your local area a favor.... play some games with these guys! People will be blown away!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day, Ynnead!
Love this stuff, mate. The flash gitz of the nine realms. Something HAS to come of these worlds you've created, mate. They're so rich in character. Palease give us, (Your fans), a batrep... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Lovely stuff Ynnead! Enjoying it all thoroughly, as usual :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! I will get some games in, I promise ;)

Just got back from a big road trip round Wales which was brilliant fun, but not much hobby movement I'm afraid.

I have however finally got fed up with struggling to get decent quality photos, so picked up a lightbox, two crows, my copy of On the Origin of Species and a mate with a grownup camera. I've only got the one shot from all our mucking about, but I'm dead chuffed with it :)

High res

Oh, I do also have this slightly darker version. Which do people prefer?

High res[/img]

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Thos photos are so much better Ynnead. It's nice to be able to see all the detail and quality of your brush work...and it is really good quality. You must be really happy with the results...and the fact you finally get to share good quality picture which display the true quality!

As for which is better, I prefer the first, lighter picture. You just get to see so much more detail.

Top stuff Ynnead!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
The lighter picture is the way to go if you want to show off your work. The darker one would be good if you were doing a sstory setting.

Would love to see what sort of diorama/board you would create for these guys :)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
I love all of these Ynnead.  Especially the bases of all things!

Super good stuff.  :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like them :)

I think that's the consensus Loosh and Magen. Personally I prefer the darker pictures as they're more atmospheric, but I suppose I know what they look like already! I'll try and get a mix/compromise so you guys can actually see what they look like too ;)

Here's the next few we've managed to take :)

High res

When battle's done and bodies lay,
And widows weep in pain'd dismay,
The crows descend from blackened ships,
To pry their spoils from dead men's grips.

-Edda Óvættr, verse eight.

High res

High res

The last shot in particular was very tricky to get. It was a real struggle to get enough light to show the detail on the crow, but not too much to blow out all the colour on the crow-dogs. If we had access to photoshop it would be as simple as taking two different exposures and fading one into the other, but this was the best we could get in a single shot. The crow should be a little lighter really, and the crow-dogs a smidge more purple ;)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
I know what you mean about camera shots. I've had a lot of bad shots on some of my favorites and the details just are off as well as color. I have to say I really like what I see here, great stuff! I'm waiting for new kill team rules before I set up my team or teams.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Quote from: Ynneadwraith link=topic=229999.msg2772660#msg2772660 date=1521199961

[img
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/twsr2y6ktzcndeugmgug.jpg[/img]

(Image removed from quote.)

Two
Three

So what is the backstory for these models you're creating / kitbashing? I want to say Traitor Guard or Dark Mechanicum? They have that real eerie vibe, but in a great way ;D! They really give me that grim dark vibe! The guy at the bottom of the images is my absolute favorite, with the beastmen-like guys coming a close-second. Loving the way you created these dudes!

Look forward to seeing more :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like them :)

And yeah Dread, I think people's eyes are really good at adjusting for differing light levels and temperatures. Or, more accurately, your eyes are a bit pants as far as resolution goes but your brain behind them has some phenomenal processing power. Quite a lot done in post-production I expect ;)

I'm looking forward to Kill Team too, although it's Necromunda that's really caught my eye :) must pick up the rulebook for that...

@MyelTal Well...the backstory to the lot of them is pretty convoluted.

The quilled Crows are abhumans that loiter around the periphery of the Space Wolves, scavenging from battlefields.

One of the previous battlefields involved a chaos incursion that used the horned Elk-men as footsoldiers, and when it was defeated these were stranded planetside as their leaders fled, and developed their own local cultures. Similarly, there's populations of Space Wolf kearls stranded too which I haven't got around to yet.

The Crows sometimes flit about these abandoned worlds scavenging from battlefields, and planetside folk sometimes trade for transportation to wherever the Crows are headed to next.

The Dokkalfar are parasitic raiders living on the airless moons above these worlds. The original population is descended from a crashed tithe-ship, which has instilled in their descendants a skewed notion of their divine right to raid the planets below for materials, slaves and oxygen.

The Freki wolf-men are my idea for what happens when the canis helix infects regular folk rather than Astartes, which give rise to werewolf-like populations of mutants in the wake of the 13th Company (which the Inquisition are very interested in!).

A pending Inquisitor has employed a Biologis Adept to investigate this, which is the little Biologis warband. He's pretty out of his depth though!

Haven't quite worked out where the Barsoomian fits into all this, beyond the idea that John Carter of Mars is awesome and I wanted a 40k Green Martian :)

Perhaps as an associate of the Biologis researcher...

Oh, and there's more to come! Painted, just awaiting photography :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
I like your intricate backstory ;D! Helps give some context to the creations we see before us, though they certainly possess that cool-factor without it!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!