News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Challenge!  (Read 45416 times)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
The Challenge!
« on: January 6, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
Here it is then.

Valar needs some motivation and there's one sure fire way to get it out of him

We had a little sit down and came up with the following. Everything is open to change, particularly if the changes will help me beat him!

When does this start;
NOW. Valar was keen to wait until February, but this is clearly a poor excuse for delaying things until he tricks me with another week off work - his shift pattern will not doubt be my bane! Plus, I'm just finishing some bits so want to take an early lead! hah!

Who wins;
Each month we will take a sit-rep and total our points. We can break down each month to month and also keep a running total. The Challenge will go on until one of us concedes, probably due to embarrassment, or until the end of 2013!

At the end of the time limit the person with the most points wins.

In other words; me.

The Scoring;
Points are earned on a per model basis in one of 6 categories;

Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing
1.Infantry
-
2.Characters
-
3.Monstrous
-
4.Vehicles
-
-
5.Terrain
-
-
-
6.Gaming+5pts the first time each painted unit is used in battle vs each other (once only)

Notes;
Infantry category includes anything not covered by other categories such as bikes. Models on 60mm bases that fall in this category (ie; Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Teams) earn double points, as do cavalry bikes and "monstrous" infantry models.

For 40K, Monstrous Infantry models include models on 40mm bases such as Crisis Suits, Ogryns and other similarly sized models. If in doubt, scoring will be judged by group.

Points are based on 28mm scale miniatures. Points for different scales or specials (ie Battlefleet Gothic or a 40K Titan!) will be hotly debated beforehand! Miniatures are not limited to GW.

Finally, if anyone else wants to take part in the challenge then feel free to become a groupie! Each person will be responsible to tracking their own scoring, but I will tally the scores in this thread too. Your scores can only be counted upon picture evidence (unless you also happen to live near us and one of us can witness things in person!). On that note, we will keep gaming scores separate because in order to keep things fair if anyone wants to join in.

If you do not want to take part - fret not, you can still encourage (or smack talk) us here!

Jan 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL
oink
-
-
Valar
-
-
Plastikente
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Feb 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
Valar
-
-
Plastikente
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
-
LoH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

March 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
-
-
Valar
-
-
Plastikente
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
LoH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

April 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
-
-
Valar
Plastikente
-
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
LoH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

May 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
-
Valar
Plastikente
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
LoH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

June 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Valar
-
-
Plastikente
-
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
LoH
-
-
Sparto
-
-
-
Ludo
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

July 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
-
-
Valar
-
-
Plastikente
-
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
LoH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sparto
-
-
-
Ludo
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Aug 2013 |Terrain |Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing |Gaming Bonus |TOTAL | GRAND TOTAL
oink
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Valar
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Plastikente
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Angel of Death 007
-
-
LoH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sparto
-
-
-
Ludo
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Gunner_Sabot_Tank
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Edit - Made table to reduce wall of text.

28.01.2013 - Gaming scoring system under review TBC

« Last Edit: September 3, 2013, 10:46:19 AM by Shas'Oink »

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Re: The Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
BTW Oink there are no points on offer for painting the Bathroom... your DIY escapades count for nothing here... they are nothing but just a real life distraction to keep you from painting and I will be encouraging your slave driver wife to crack that DIY whip and make sure you have your priorities right.

I knew you had sneaky hijinks up your sleeve being eager to start now... fear not for I had anticipated this and have a few things easily completable soon aswell.

Good so we have the scoring system in place, we have the motivation and now we have an audience in front of which you can have your pants pulled down!

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2013, 01:49:02 AM »
Gooo Oink!!!!!

Uphold the honour of the Greater Good!

robo
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 08:53:07 PM by Commissar robo »
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Hades Hound

• Who needs food when you have miniatures?
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
Oh boy, I can't wait to see what you guys produce (verbally and artistically speaking). Go Valar! Show that piggy whose boss!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
BTW Oink there are no points on offer for painting the Bathroom... your DIY escapades count for nothing here... they are nothing but just a real life distraction to keep you from painting and I will be encouraging your slave driver wife to crack that DIY whip and make sure you have your priorities right.

Man, if it was just painting I had to do I'd be happy. No, this is a full refit - there is building, converting, painting AND basing involved! I could win on that alone!

I knew you had sneaky hijinks up your sleeve being eager to start now... fear not for I had anticipated this and have a few things easily completable soon aswell.

With your shift work and time off I need all the help I can get! And anyway - no one calls my wife a slave driver....             

...except for me.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
So I stayed up a little extra late tonight just so I could sneak this one in under Oinks radar and irritate him deliciously by scoring the first points right under his nose!! Two can play at his sneaky hijinks games.

Since his premature challenge declaration ive been working away buisilly like a beslubberingly busy bee to finish of my first squad of DE warriors.  10 of!

30 points please Oink.  10 models, all based, all with extra details like posion vials, glow effect. 

Happy Dance and victory song!! I got the first points nerr nerr ne nerrr nerrr!!!!!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
I really like that whip! looks great. Good start... but you're gonna need a few more late nights me thinks... I've got a few things just around the corner... I'm not as far behind as you might think!  ;)

EDIT;

OKay, so spurred on to take some WiP shots. Thanks a lot Valar.

I've finished painting three gun servitors. Without wanting to sound like a raging homo, I like their bums. They also feature bruised skin around the metal punctures. But don't reckon that counts enough for detailing...

I'm also part way through this guy...

converted to be striding - including the necessary green stuff on the pilots legs. Dreadknights should be worth double when converting - they are a pain. No? Oh well, will just have to do two of them then...

(this guy is converted too... in case you don't believe me.. SEE HERE)

3 points Woot!
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 07:16:02 PM by oink »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »
Oink I have to say, love the skin on the servitors.  Very ravaged from their manipulation to their machines.  NBice bruising and suitably sore looking.   Also I know what you mean about liking their bums... as weird as that is to say... but areas like that lend themselves well to blending/ highlighting which in turn is fun.

Also im always jealous of some of the things you get to paint for your commissions,... all those contemptors and whats this your 3/4/5th dreadknight?  lucky you

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
I was thinking looking at the Deldar that you are so going to get your ass kicked Oink, but....your stuff is great too. I can see this will be closer than I thought.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »
Awesome start to the challenge both of you! Really great to see such good, early progress.

Valar, I do believe that I am as much in love with your purple Dark Eldar as any of your yellow Eldar. I love the fact that compared to the bases, the purple almost looks warm and welcoming, which is odd as I normally see it as a very cold colour. And yup, I'm the same as Oink, I just love the whip!

Oink, nice everything, but definitely nice buttocks. There's nothing else to say!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all - those pictures aren't very good - once the basing is completed on them I will take proper pictures.
Anyway,

This Bones;

The above is (afaik) not a GW model. The skeletons are removable, and so is the howdah - which sits on top quite sturdily without any help from pins or magnets etc. The crew have been converted to be a single piece, and can therefore be replaced by a single character model! I've erred on the side of caution and not counted the crew as extra infantry - that wouldn't be fair - but they'd at least count for converting.

These were started a little while back - but finished up with some final bits and pieces this side of the challenge (I didn't plan this immediate start by accident you know!)

I have a few more things nearing completion soon too. In the mean time though - I will be preparing blog posts at iPaintmodels to show more pictures of each of these. be sure to check in there every now and then - or you can subscribe (or follow) in order to get automatic updates.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2013, 06:29:10 PM by oink »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »
Oh I see how it is... drybrushing your way to victory  ;)

JK, that aside I do like the elephant skellie model.  Not seen one like that before.  and also nice shields simple but effetctive

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
Oh I see how it is... drybrushing your way to victory  ;)

JK, that aside I do like the elephant skellie model.  Not seen one like that before,  and also nice shields simple but effetctive

Epic fail.

Look at that animal again!

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2013, 09:23:28 AM »
Lol alright... I like your elephant giraffe and rhino love child model then

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
I want to get involved!  I have no idea what I want to paint, but please count me in.  I also don't think my point scores are going to be anywhere near you two, but I like to have a bit of motivation to keep me shuffling on with my list of painting.

@Valar - your Kabalites are awesome!  I love the glowing effects.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »
Welcome my friend.  Glad we've incentivised you to get and keep you motivated.  I tell you its working a treat for me, the risk of being shamed by Oink the nancy is a very powerful motivator indeed.  Will be good to have you aboard.  I will hope to see lots of your tau stuff, I really like the scheme you have going there!

Thanks for your compliments on the Dark Eldar :) its great to receive comments like that!

Right now without giving too much info away so Oink can go off scheming yet more shenanigans to trump us, Im working on some Ork Stormboyz for the WOTW unit of the month thread.  Pics soon

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
Holy crap, I think this thread has just struck me impotent. Following this to the end.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 05:22:25 AM »
Welcome Plastikente! now get painting! lol!

I would suggest that each person keep a record of their own personal painting log - using the scoring table presented above might be a good idea - that way you can keep track of how many points you have scored for each category independantly - whilst the second table I have in the first post can kep a track of just the totals. Just because that way we can use all the data to plot what people are painting to earn their points etc... and come up with all sorts of interesting time wasting pie charts and graphs! (which I vote that Valar should put together to get him away from his paint brushes!) lol!

In other news:

Bam:

One converted Necron destroyer lord with extensive detailing and weathering as well as some attempt at dull OSL. No basing though, as the client wanted him on a clear flying base.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »
I will hope to see lots of your tau stuff, I really like the scheme you have going there!
I'll have to buy some more Tau then, just to keep you happy  ;)

My Christmas project has been turning some old DE Grotesques and Mandrakes into new Wracks (see my project blog).  I converted 17 of them before Christmas, finished painting 6 in Dec, 6 more in Jan, and I have 5 left to do.  It's a bit cheeky to try and back-date my points though, so I'll just mark myself for painting and painting them when they're done.

Also on my to-do list are my Christmas presents: 1 Lilith Hesperax, 1 Sslyth and 1 Haemonculus.  On top of that, I'm modelling a steampunk-themed Escher gang for Necromunda.

EDIT: I don't quite understand the gaming section of the scoring - is that just the battle performance of the minis we've painted?  And does the game have to be against someone else in The Challenge to count?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:44:24 AM by Plastikente »

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:51 AM »
The gaming section of the scoring was based as an incentive for myself and Oink to not only make the most of our painting but make the most of th ehobby as a whole... Both of us played schockingly few games in total last year....... and myself I only played 2 games of 6th ed and him only a few more. 

The way that the scoring for gaming works is thus... for the first appearance (and only the first appearance) that a freshly painted squad makes it onto the battle field in a game it scores you another 10 points.  Now for myself and Oink we intended this to be against eachother as we could verify it... however with other contenders joining then I would argue that if you can provide picture evidence of them mid battle then you are eligable for those points.  But remebmer one unit can only score you points in this way once!

I think also it should be posted in this way chronologically...

The unit painted must be showcased here as complete first and then after that the unit can be pictured mid game...

Hope that clears things up?