News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Point List For My New Craftworld Laer'Shad (updated)  (Read 3475 times)

Offline ant7

1500 Point List For My New Craftworld Laer'Shad (updated)
« on: April 4, 2008, 09:46:14 PM »
Autarch- 125pts.
mandiblasters
P.W.
Fusion gun
WJG

Farseer- 163pts.
Runes of witnessing
Spirit stones
Singing Spear
RoW
Doom
Fortune
Guide

DA-x10- 162pts.
Exarch
Shimmer Shield
PW
Bladestorm

DA-x10- 162pts.
Exarch
Shimmer Shield
PW
bladestorm

DA-x10- 162pts.
Exarch
Shimmer Shield
PW
Bladestorm

DA-x10- 162pts.
Exarch
Shimmer Shield
PW
Bladestorm

Striking Scorpions-x6- 144pts.
Exarch
S. Claw
Shadowstrike
Stalker

Wraithlord- 140pts.
BL
W. sword

Wraithlord- 140pts.
BL
W. sword

Warwalkers-x2- 130pts.
EML
S. laser

Total points-1490

I made this list using models I have and the models I think look cool, (hence the wraithsword).
I will use the DA to form my center backed up by the WL's. I will try to keep the farseer with a unit of DA close to the WL. I figure the SS will infiltrate when and where needed and the Autarch with the WJG will go where needed. I want to add him to a unit of WS later that's why I gave him the WJG. The War Walkers I think I can add one to each flank. What do you think?
Here is a link to my fluff from the forum.
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=159312.0
« Last Edit: April 7, 2008, 09:49:26 AM by ant7 »

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1500 Point List For My New Craftworld Laer'Shad
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
I'm interested in what you Craftworld is all about.  You seem to follow my theory of battle:

1) shoot them lots
2) shoot them lots
3) assault them lots
4) rinse and repeat

Obviously there is more, but thats always my general plan.  I feel that your Autarch will be lonely tank hunting by himself.  It could be effective, but I don't see him getting close, and then if you get more than one tank it will be lucky (plus, one bad roll and he's warp meat).  For your extra pointsI might try to invest in stalker for the scorpions.  Move through cover really can help, especially if you can get behind a forest 12" away from the enemy and get a first turn assault.

Also, the War Walkers have to be in a squadron form, basically the same as a unit so they can only help one flank.  I might suggest having the Wraithlords, War Walkers, and two squads of DA with the farseer in the center as a strong wall so that you get the most dakka as close to the enemy lines as possible.  You could even do this with one squad and have the other three be a flanking/hammer force to your walker anvil.  The Scorps and Autarch could then run interference on the DA flank or on the third side.

Post up some Craftworld fluff, and I will send this list off for critique by our three master raters.
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline ant7

« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback azore24, I have posted some fluff in the Eldar forum, it's still on the first page titled "Fluff for my new Craftworld" (so attention grabbing I know)  and thanks for sending the list off.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »
Hey there,

I am one of the three raters.  Could you please edit your post to include how many points each unit is worth?  That will help me out when I get to rating your list.

Thanks,

C.S.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline ant7

Re: 1500 Point List For My New Craftworld Laer'Shad (updated)
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
Chaplain Swordwind,
I have updated my list with points now, thanks for the rating.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: 1500 Point List For My New Craftworld Laer'Shad (updated)
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2008, 01:46:18 AM »
from Ant7:
Well I just started Eldar, I haven't played a game yet. In fact I haven't played 40k in some time. Anyway I was having a difficult time deciding on what units to start off with and what one to buy for the army. I tend to go with cool mini's over effectiveness. But after deciding what models I liked(wraithlords, autarchs, scorpions, Dire Avengers) and creating my background it helped me to round out the army. I have an idea for a craftworld symbol and my paint scheme is going to be purple and white. I'll post pics as soon as my DA are finished. Gutstikk thanks for the link to the Eldar dictionary I saw in another thread. So here it is;

Craftworld Laer'Shad
According to the Eldar dictionary it means questing or avenging spear
The Eldar of craftworld Laen'Shad are viewed as undisiplined and barbarous by other Eldar. The Laer'Shad fled the fall at the last possible moment hoping until the end that they could retain the former glory of their race. In the end they were forced to flee and lost many due to they're last minute escape. The craftworld fled into the far reaches of the universe and drifted through the void for years recovering from the fall. During that time the Laen'Shad came into contact with many exodite worlds and formed bonds with them over time. The laen'Shad also discovered many worlds inhabited by other races, many of these former Eldar worlds.
Many of the Laer'Shad were bitter and unhappy with their fate and demanded that the lost worlds be taken back. Leaders among the craftworld noticed the growing discontent and created warrior cadres that exist to this day. "tribes" of aspect warriors made of mainly Dire Avengers are sent forth in far reaching campaigns against other races to recover that which was lost to the Eldar. These tribes fight and live together for years finding refuge amongst exodite worlds and with other craftworlds that would have them, in fact aiding these craftworlds in times of strife.
Over the centuries the Laer'Shad have adopted many customs and rituals of the exodites they find shelter with. Rituals such as tattooing, disputes settled with combat and indulging in ceremonies that last several days after a successful campaign where battles are recreated by the actual participants for the thrill and honor of each tribe.
Laer'Shad armies tend to incorporate many Dire Avengers for close combat which the craftworlds tribes hold in high regard. Other apsect warriors typically utilized are Striking Scorpions, Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks. Fire support is usually comprised of Fire Dragons and Dark Reapers mounted in falcons or wave serpents. Wraith constructs are common in Laer'Shad armies as the protracted campaigns are difficult for guardian squads. The wraith constructs supplement casualties and the wounded. Rangers are available and often employed for their special abilities. The Laer'Shad will awaken the Avatar on occasion to aid them in their battles but have a long standing distrust of the Harlequins and never ask for or accept they're assistance.

So there is what I have come up with, I would appreciate any c&c and if have broken any Eldar tenents please let me know.

Your list has been selected by Azore24 for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project! You will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: .5
You've got an extensive amount of material on the background of your craftworld, which is quite nice! That being said, while you mention that you have not ever used Eldar and have not played 40k in a while, you don't give a good idea of the sort of environment you wish to use this list in. If you expect a lot of really competitive enemies you will have less freedom in your unit selection assuming you want to win some games. If it is just for fun, a competitive edge isn't entirely necessary. Some account should be given of where and how, and against whom, you wish to use this army, alongside the good background material you've developed.

Composition: .5
You've got four exact duplicate troops choices which are vulnerable to anti-infantry fire as a result of short range, low toughness and average armor. Your list is a little bottom/top heavy, though you do have a good selection of troops you suffer from a pronounced lack of speed and yet you also lack the range in many units necessary to a succesful gunline. You have a few options spread throughout for tank-hunting, so will probably do alright in that department. Your assault capabilities will be above average if you conduct assaults well.

Utility: 0
There's quite a few questionable selections here. Your Autarch has a warp jump generator but will be without the support of other spiders, meaning he can easily get lost in the warp. I understand the point about adding the spiders later, but for now it is quite dangerous for him to use this. Your farseer has more powers than he can cast and the runes of witnessing are unnecessary. Your Avenger squads all have bladestorm; there may be times where you wish to restrain fire with some units while committing others to combat - this power may not be the best for its points, and the PW/SS option nets 1 less attack in combat than the Diresword/pistol combo. Your scorpions have infiltrate but lack any real supporting units; they are likely to get owned deployed by themselves at their current small size. If you are sold on guide 4 missiles might be better for the walkers [even against hordes!], and if you are not, 4 scatters would be cheaper by a bit and hit more frequently, and are almost as dangerous to vehicles up to armor 12.

Flexibility: 1
While your background material tends to favor Avengers that will perform in a combat environment, some of them might benefit from defend [your frontliners] over bladestorm, especially since you may want to fleet them on turn 1 and this might see them charged on turn 2. Defend will reduce the damage they take [a bit], and then they can be reinforced by their bladestorming comrades. The squads with Defend could easily consider a diresword and pistol for the extra attack and a few spare points. A waveserpent in place of one unit of Avengers would add a lot to your tactical flexibility and enable you to support those scorpions! That's my one big flexibility criticism, so you score fairly well here.

Ingenuity: 0
It is nice to see someone new to Eldar formulating a simple battle plan, as the army suffers tremendously without one. That being said, the idea about the walkers on separate flanks is no good as they are a single squad and must retain 4" coherency. Furthermore, many of the units listed have no outright strategy given at all [at least 3 of the Avenger teams are left in the dark]. Finally, there's no contingency planning, though you'll learn how important it is to set up combos where if your chosen move fails you have something else that can be done in response to the enemy's retort.

Total Score: 2.0
There are some areas that could do with some improvement. This is understandable as you are just picking up Eldar. If I had some simple suggestions to offer you they would be as follows:
1: Give the Autarch hawk wings for now, even if you must proxy to do so. They are cheaper and won't put him at unnecessary risk. Saves 5 pts.
2: Mix up your Avengers. Try something like the following:
- 1 team with Defend, Powersword and Shimmershield
- 1 team with Diresword and Defend
- 1 team with Bladestorm, Diresword and a Wave Serpent in place of team 4.
This will give you two teams to work in support on foot [powersword and shimmershield in front with diresword and defend following for support], and the serpent team puts a bladestorm where you need it, when you need it, adds an effective 6-8" to the range of the gunners, and lets them support your scorpions. The serpent could have VE, Stones, and probably the chin cannon and twin shuricannons on the turret, for 140pts. This saves 37pts.
3: Trim some upgrades off that farseer! Guide and Doom are the ones you need most; losing Fortune and the Spirit Stones saves 40pts.

So far that's 82 pts. extra just from cutting fat. Easily enough for more scorpions if you choose to bulk that unit up to 10 models and leave 18 pts for something else.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:57:24 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: April 7, 2008, 06:49:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback azore24, I have posted some fluff in the Eldar forum, it's still on the first page titled "Fluff for my new Craftworld" (so attention grabbing I know)  and thanks for sending the list off.

Please use the modify option to add a link to your fluff in your primary thread.... Then we will rate the list, as for without the Fluff, you will suffer from gutstikk's and Chaplain Swordwinds ratings. OK.

Autarch- 125pts.  mandiblasters, P.W., Fusion gun, WJG

Farseer- 163pts.  Runes of witnessing, Spirit stones, Singing Spear, RoW, Doom, Fortune, Guide

DA-x10- 162pts.  Exarch, Shimmer Shield, PW, Bladestorm

DA-x10- 162pts.  Exarch, Shimmer Shield, PW, bladestorm

Striking Scorpions-x6- 144pts.  Exarch, S. Claw, Shadowstrike, Stalker

Wraithlord- 140pts.  BL, W. sword

Wraithlord- 140pts.  BL, W. sword

Warwalkers-x2- 130pts.  EML, S. laser

Total points-1490

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: Not an excessive amount of anti-tank; but what you have is durable, mobile and really quite decent overall, little things like EMLs insteadof W-Swords on the WL would help though, so Above Average (.7 )
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Doom & numbers will help; but you seriously lack in AP=3 weaponry, but still its Above Average (.7)
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Here you should do OK, as you have lots of numbers for shooting and Aspect warriors can actually do wellin CC, Good (.8 )
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: Back to my comment on the WL's, but otherwise its decent enough so Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: Not great on MEQ; but good for GEQ, so Average (.6)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 8 is about Average (.6)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Nothing is overly soft but soem things you will have to carefull with, so Average (.6)
8.. Flexibility:  Your going to have difficulty from compitative lists; because some stuff is over built while others are underbuilt and smart opponets will see this and exploit it, but for most fun list this will do well, Above Average (.7)
9.. Mission Capability: I actually don't see to much that should bother thislistin regard to missions, so Good (.8 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: The Dynamics are fine, and the army is mostly synergetic... it you tweek it a bit it could do better for combo's etc though, so overall its about Average (.6)

Rating = 6.9 Others may score it differntly; but I see it as a good "Fun" list that should do well.

CaHG

« Last Edit: April 9, 2008, 07:57:11 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering