News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A few questions Re Flyers and Gun emplacements  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
A few questions Re Flyers and Gun emplacements
« on: November 3, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi, as far as I can see all of these unlikely cases are true, but I'd just like some second opinions in case I've missed something.

Gun Emplacements - pg.105
1)
To paraphrase, the rules say that a model may fire the emplacement if they are in base contact. Since vehicles are models, does this mean that a vehicle could touch it and also fire it?

2)The rules say that it may be fired instead of its own weapon. Does this mean a model with the ability to fire more than one weapon (monstrous creature or vehicle) still cannot shoot the emplacement in addition to their weapon?

Flyers-

3) Under the relevant missions, can a fast attack/heavy support flyer score if it happens to be on an objective when the game ends?

cheers people

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
Re: A few questions Re Flyers and Gun emplacements
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
I can help you only with the third point. As much as flyers are scoring if fast attack and in the mission the scouring. They can not capture as the distances other than disembarking are from the model on the stand which is more then the distance to capture an objective. This even applies in hover mode it just works that the height of the stand is too tall.

Offline Ironclad

• We are the nothing.
  • Armies: Dark Angels
« Reply #2 on: November 3, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
As for point one if you are trying to suggest a rhino parks and touches a quad gun for example it's a model yes but no it cannot do that.  An infantry model has to be in base contact.  Notice it says "One modelin base contact with the gun emplacement can fire it instead of *HIS* own weapon following the normal rules for shooting".  That should answer points one and two and also just double check the rules for shooting.  It's all there.  Hope this helps.
Hell follows behind me...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
"One modelin base contact with the gun emplacement can fire it instead of *HIS* own weapon following the normal rules for shooting". 

That would be discriminatory against female models. That said, I haven't taken the time to model any genitals onto my models, though what you get up to with your greenstuff on your own time is up to you. ;)

I'm taking a look through, and so far as I can tell, anything that isn't terrain, that you can volutarily move around, is a model. As such, yes I believe that a Vehicle could fire a Quad-gun. If you need rationale, perhaps one of the crew hop out momentarily and squeeze off a few rounds, then hop back in.

Since the rules allow you to fire the Emplacement instead of "his" weapon, I'd say a model couldn't fire any of their own weapons, even if they normally would be able to fire more than one. Rationale would be that any weapon he has would be "his"... so he can't fire it.

To the third question, the 40k RB, pg 71 top left says that distances are measured to the vehicle's hull, so as long as the hull was within range of your objective [Maybe your flyer was immoblized and you removed the stand, or maybe you have the objective on a tall hill or something...] it can score in missions where vehicles are allowed to score.

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2012, 01:09:39 AM »
This hill point is a good one as even a zooming flyer can capture in the scouring then.

The way the palcemnt of objectives works to one could easliy place objective on the thrid floor and easly get a model on a flyer base with in 3 inches.

Alternativly the rare case GBT mentioned on an imoblised flyer in hover mode could work to but seems very rare to me.

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2012, 03:19:34 AM »
Hover-mode Flyers can capture objectives: there's a part under the skimmer bit of the rulebook that distance can be measured from the hull or base. As such, a flyer can capture an objective, granted that its base is within 3" of an objective. Couldn't find something similar in the Zooming flyers section though...
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »
Hover-mode Flyers can capture objectives: there's a part under the skimmer bit of the rulebook that distance can be measured from the hull or base. As such, a flyer can capture an objective, granted that its base is within 3" of an objective. Couldn't find something similar in the Zooming flyers section though...
Huh?

In addition to being rules about Skimmers, not Flyers, so I'm not sure how it'd be relevant, the section on Skimmers specifically says that you always measure from the hull, and the base is ignored.  The only specific exceptions to this rule that it mentions are charging and ramming.  The wording is almost exactly the same as the wording in the Flyers section - which seems a little more relevant - and makes exceptions for charging, disembarking and maintaining 1" distance.  Neither mentions objectives.

Am I missing something?