News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330801 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1820 on: May 19, 2018, 09:04:36 PM »
Awesome, as always, awesome! The beautiful blends of red with the fluid creamy look you've mastered so well. And rot, well just perfect.

I have a query for you my friend. Even from way back I have always had a Harliquins army, from metals to plastic. Remember back over 3 years ago when I had my cancer surgery GW started the new plastics. I integrated them with my old metals and have a nice collection now. One of the things that has always been talked about or better yet, refrenced is the Great Harliquin. I have this off the wall idea. You know I just got the Ynarri set. I've been doing some conversation work on the Yncarne but now thinking of adding a mask to her and using her rules as the GH. What do you think? Fluffy or waste of time?

I know you did not ask me, but I think that would totally awesome and epic, for what my two cents are worth, Dread ;D!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1821 on: May 19, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
Thanks MyenTal, means a lot. I've already located bits in my bits box. I think the masks are the extras from the bikes,  perfect size. Maybe use some others in the swirl she's coming out of.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1822 on: May 19, 2018, 09:50:34 PM »
Oooh, cool I would have never thought of the masks that come with the bikes. Is that an older model I'm thinking of or is it one of the newer models?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1823 on: May 19, 2018, 10:11:03 PM »
Actually not from the bikes but the Starweaver/Void weaver kit. The masks that go on each side of the cockpit behind the pilot.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1824 on: May 20, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
@MyenTal- Thanks man glad you dig Mortarion. Yeah I basically did a variation on the GW scheme but just didnt take the colors as bright. I throw a ton of washes on him too. Anyway glad you dig him, thanks!

@Dread- Thanks man glad you dig them! As for the Great Harlie there is a way in the new book to represent him, but he replaces a Troupe Master (and its a great option, my next article for FLG details some uses for him). So he's normal infantry size. Doesnt mean you should not do the conversion though. My only concern would be the size of the mask on the face of the Y'ncarne it might be a bit too small. I've thought about doing that mask conversion too, because I hate the half melty face or whatever is going on there. But yeah give it a shot man! If the mask fits, I'd have her wear it! lol Let me know how it goes cause its something I want to try too!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1825 on: May 20, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »
I did the face last night. The mask, imho, fits perfect. I have some putty work to finish around the mask and hair. I going to try painting her before attaching to the rest of the model.

I wish pic posting on here was easier, still haven't figured it out.

Have a peek: https://flic.kr/p/HGKhCx
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:11:11 PM by Dread »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1826 on: May 20, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »
Sweet, Dread, you're right that mask is a great fit for the Yncarne :)!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1827 on: May 23, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »
@Dread- Looks great man! Hope you got my message with a Flickr tutorial to help you out. Its easy when you know how  ;)

@Everybody- Hey guys so back again with another mini-update. So I decided to resurrect an old project... if you got a Corsair Warhost called the Lions of Asuryan... you gotta have some damn lions in your army. So I finished the first one...  and I'm gonna do a painting tutorial on the second so stay tuned for that.

So I've made some minor modifications to the models. If you guys noticed I gave some Harlequin masks to each of them, to sort of play off the masks carried by my Corsair Prince and his second in command.

I use these masks as symbols to others in the Webway that they have alliegance with the Harlequins and this makes travel through certain areas of the Webway less dangerous. So my little backstory is that these Lions are free to wander the Webway as they have the Harlequins protection.

As for what rules I'm gonna use I'm really not sure. Clawed Fiends would probably be the best fit, but I've also thought of using them as Incubi Klaivex so when my Archon jumps out of his Raider with his Incubi I can have the lions disembark as well which would just visually look awesome. Not sure about that though.

So besides the Harlequin project which is gonna be pretty intense, I'm really set on adding more stuff like this to my collection just to add those personal touches. I've got a bunch more Asuryan themed High Elf stuff that I've been saving. Banners, these braziers filled with fire, really, really old transfers, some cool shields. I'm hoping to get some AoS beasts and what not incorporated into my collection as well and also use the 15+ Cold Ones I have sitting around for something as well.

Also starting to finish up my batch of Death Guard stuff on commission. The commission calls for only a single highlight, but that in mind I do really like the way these guys are coming out.

[/url]

I've also got a game coming up where I'm running a PURE Iyanden force against Primaris Marines so stay tuned for that. Should be good! I think you guys will really like the lists... Other than that, stay tuned guys and talk soon.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1828 on: May 23, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
The painting is top notch on the lions, but something doesn't seem right. I don't know maybe the mane is too uniform in colour or something.

The extra bits you pop in like the masks, are a super nice touch, they fit right in with the models/scenery, it feels a bit like a bonus for people who pay attention :)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #1829 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »
Really great stuff Cav! I'm really liking the sound of a pure yanden game with corresponding list!!!

Now on the comment side.

The painting is top notch on the lions, but something doesn't seem right. I don't know maybe the mane is too uniform in colour or something.

I totally agree with myental magenb on the there is something missing from the Lyons. Like him I love the modeling. Painting wise, they are really cool and give a kind of surreal/ghost feeling, but they lack in depth. There is something missing.
A deeper/more varied color on the mane maybe, some light in the eyes to give them more life? Some more real coloring on the teeth/tong perhaps? Something. It's like a finely created jewelery but it's missing the final stone. So it looks nice but you feel that missing piece.

Well in the end it's your army but I can't help but feel it.

I really like that chaos dude, even with little highlight, I can't seem to want more stuff on him.

Edit: nobody so anything. Sorry magenb
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:38:18 AM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1830 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
I totally agree with myental on the there is something missing from the Lyons. Like him I love the modeling. Painting wise, they are really cool and give a kind of surreal/ghost feeling, but they lack in depth. There is something missing.

That was Magenb, Grizzly ;D!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #1831 on: May 24, 2018, 02:38:37 AM »
I totally agree with myental on the there is something missing from the Lyons. Like him I love the modeling. Painting wise, they are really cool and give a kind of surreal/ghost feeling, but they lack in depth. There is something missing.

That was Magenb, Grizzly ;D!

You saw nothing.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1832 on: May 24, 2018, 02:51:52 AM »
Here I go again on my own. Going down the only road I've ,huh, what? Oh wrong white lion.

I guess with a lot of the revamping you're doing, the Lions are getting some treatment? I don't think they need anything myself, I love unmuddied white. The blue wash works great and not over powered in my book.
Clean is king.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1833 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:48 AM »
Yup, afraid to say I agree with the other guys here Cav. The Lion needs another colour (or at least another shade of colour) to look finished. It's just a bit too monotone at the moment. The mane and tail fur need more depth to them. If you look at lions in the wild, the manes are normally a bit more orange than the body. Some even fade to black. It adds a real definition and regal look to the animals. I think that you could go with a darker grey (even though we know you love some Celestra!) or even some type of blue. These things should look mystical and magical after all!

On the other hand, you've killed the Plague Marine. Even with only 1 highlight, you've done a fantastic job. I like the addition of silver to the palette. I think it's something that I'll do when I return to my Death Guard.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1834 on: May 24, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »
@Everybody- Thanks guys for the feedback! So I definitely did not want to add another color, but what I did do was go back and do a few layers of different shade on the mane and then clean it up a bit. Did a thinned down Coelia Greenshade, then layers a Russ/Grey Lahmian Medium wash over that. Also did some purple on the gums and nose. The teeth are different color, too but just not sure if its showing in the photos. I just have to keep that ghostly/pure white look too it. Maybe its not showing in the photos, but I'm actually super happy with it. Might end up being one of those gotta see it person type things... but hopefully it shows! Let me know what you guys think!

While I'm at it... I'd love some feedback on this proposed Harlequin theme for my forthcoming army. Its supposed to be the Penumbral Masque with a little more red. It was akward painting around all the Wych bits, and this is a just a ROUGH mock-up but let me know your thoughts.

[/url]

Also finished up the additional Plague Marines... so thought I'd share.

Anyway thanks for the feedback guys please let me know your thoughts cause I wanted to use the Lions in a painting white tutorial. Thanks as always guys!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1835 on: May 24, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
The lion looks great with the different shade.

Nice job on the Harlie, the Tiny diamonds are done really well, the white as the background is a really nice idea. The grey on white will blend when looking at them from a distance, if you did that on purpose I take my hat off to you, because that is super fluffy with their holo-suits messing with visual effects.

So many details on those plague marines, they look great. The purple cloth has a really nice effect, but the glowing green slime is disgustingly good :)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #1836 on: May 25, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »
Yep Cav you nailed it.

Now I have nothing to say on the lions.

The extra shade really make a difference. I do dig all the modification you did to it maybe not the nose, but that's only thing tipping me off.

I really like the arlequin aswell. Really fine color choice. It fit really nicely with your normal color scheme. Now I really want to see a whole squad like this.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1837 on: May 25, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »
That's a pretty sweet harlequin. It's kind of depressing that your mock paint job blows anything I can do out of the water  ;)

Loving those plague marines as well. Those are some pretty sweet sculpts that really shine, even with only a single highlight. I think you really nailed the scheme there. I'd love to see you tackle a greater daemon if nurgle at some point, so I hope that's in your commission pipeline at some point.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1838 on: May 25, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »
I liked the Ghost Lion before, but the new round of washes make me love it even more! I love the soft blue finish you decided to go with, Cav! Also those Plague marines look great, once again, the little details really combine to make a natural and great effect, just like Mortarion. And that Harlequin looks wonderful, even though it is a trial scheme, it definitely stands out as something above table-top standard :).

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1839 on: May 26, 2018, 03:19:12 PM »
@Magenb- Thanks Mage, really appreciate it. Yeah the highlights on the diamonds were intentional, wanted to give them a bit of definition that invisible at a distance, but noticeable if you looked close up, while the red diamonds are shaded rather than highlighted. Thanks for noticing bud.  ;D

@Grizz- Thanks as always man. Always appreciate the honest feedback my man. Yes I can't wait to get a whole unit of Harlies painted up. I'm waiting on something things at FLG so I can put my order in for my first unit of Harlies. This paint scheme should not be too, tough. I've got an approach that should be very quick. Thanks man!

@Dog of War- Lol... thanks DoW. Dont be too down on yourself though, your stuff is looking awesome. Especially your new DE. Also yes! I'd love to do a Greater Daemon of Nurgle. Working on a Blighthauler and Bloat Drone next so it'll be cool to see the scheme on bigger models. Gonna do a tutorial on painting these as its super easy. Even thinking of adding some Death Guard to my World Eaters because I like these models so much. Could be a fun and fluffy way of bulking up the force... and allowing me to avoid adding Cultists. lol Anyway thanks man!

@MyenTal- Thanks so much MyenTal, really glad you dig the lion. I've been waiting ages to repaint these guys and add them to the collection, so really stoked you guys like them now. Thanks on the Plague Marines and the Harlies too, they've been a lot of fun to paint. Can't wait to paint more of both... maybe adding some DG and having a split Deathguard/World Eaters army.

@Everybody- Well guys just about finished up with the first chunk of the Death Guard stuff. Also managed to get in a game with a really strongly themed Iyanden army led by Y'riel against an almost pure Primaris force. I'll have a nice bat-rep for you on that soon as well. Stay tuned for that and talk soon!