News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking for Dark Heresy DM  (Read 2048 times)

Offline DPalmz

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Looking for Dark Heresy DM
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, but ive gotten together some people online who want to start an online dark heresy campaign. We're all quite new, so someone who doesnt mind taking things a bit slow would be greatly appriciated. My skype is dytipa, feel free to add me if youre interested in playing, just wanna chat, but especially if you know how to DM!

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: Looking for Dark Heresy DM
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:14:08 AM »
Whereabouts are you based, and when (incl. timezone) is convenient for you? I'm in a UK-based Dark Heresy Skype group (that still manages to have a guy pop in from Florida) so it's a gig I've done before, and I could gladly GM for you if it's at a convenient time for both me and yourselves.

If you're in a position to send me a private message, please do, though I think you might have to make some posts elsewhere in the forum before it lets you do that :)

Offline DPalmz

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:43:29 AM »
I posted on your wall.. prob not the most efficient means of communication

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:07:45 AM »
Not really, but I still saw it. :)

The main problem I can see is that you're quoting a time that's early evening EST. While I'm certainly still awake at that time, I do have a tendency to go to bed not long after that -- particularly when I'm working -- so in that respect, I'd make a pretty poor GM. A more practical solution, for me, would be to aim for somewhere around 3pm EST, but again, if people are working, that's going to be a problem.

What my group does is take it in turns to be the GM; it effectively revolves around who's got an idea for a story arc. So for example, if Andy's running a story and is nearing the end of it, Bob could offer to take over when Andy's done; if Charlie and Dave both wanted to GM when Bob finishes, they can come to an agreement among themselves to determine who goes next. You could try that with your own group if push came to shove, as it's a good way to give everyone a chance to have a go at GM'ing.

If you do that, I'd recommend starting with some of FFG's published adventures if you're new to GM'ing (there are some free ones knocking about on their website), and then make up your own stuff when you get a feel for what to do. :)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
Something not specific to Dark Heresy, but GM'ing in general, is that there's nothing wrong with starting small. Your first adventures don't need to involve saving the Emperor from a rampaging Primarch. [Fluff fans are currently suffering brain convulsions...]

Clearing the cave of goblins and orcs, to save the village, is the best place to start. It gives everyone a chance to learn the rules, in a "confined space", while there's an emotional reward in the joy of the villagers.

Linear story, clear objective, 3 or 4 combat encounters, maybe a trap, a boss fight and emotional payoff from saving the village is rewarding and fun for players, without requiring convoluted sub plots or "interactive" NPC's. It also tends to prevent characters from infighting over "tough" story decisions. Players can still flush out their characters by interacting with each other, and you can include "hostages" half-way and at the end for the characters to have simple, heroic conversation with.

"The Elder's daughter has been kidnapped by the local orc lord, and he's going to eat her! Some other villagers were captured as well, please save them!" The PC's find a couple of villagers half way through the cave, tell them that it is safe to escape, and then rescue the daughter at the end.

It sounds cheesy, but that's because it works. Substitute Inquisitor / Crime Boss / General for the "Elder", substitute Chaos Cult / Eldar Raiding Party / Genestealers for the "Orcs and Gobbos", and substitute Space Ship / Tunnel / Warp Rift for the "Cave", and then sub in appropriate hostages. Make a map with space between encounters so that you don't reasonably need to have interference from later encounters... BAM! Instant adventure.

Maybe add a bit of cool gear part way through to give your party an increased sense of power. "Hey, I found a crate with a Heavy Bolter... and a Power Sword... and Power Armour that magically resizes and inserts the necessary hardware into your body to operate it!" [I'm killing some fluffies right now.]

Of course, if you can make things work with Koval, he's a great GM. Always nice to have someone running the game that knows what he's doing. ;)

Offline DPalmz

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »
I will keep that all in mind!

I agree, it might be hard for you to be our GM given the time difference.

I do think doing that GM swap thing might be cool, but for now I'll keep looking for a GM... mostly cause I dont want to GM yet lol.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
Fortune favours the bold! :D

From my high school years... now 14 or so years behind me... I remember being nervous about being a GM at first, but I got into it and was pretty much the group's go-to GM after a year. I enjoyed being GM more than I enjoyed being a player, although it sure was a lot more work!

And still is... having re-entered the arena. You don't need to know all the rules, your players will help with that. Anything you don't know you can just make up, it isn't a wargame where things are "fair". Think of it like telling a story, but you don't have control of the main characters. You're setting situations up, for the characters to interact with. And sometimes get killed by. ;)

It's a lot of fun, if you like to think on your feet. If you change your mind, and are looking for some tips or advice, feel free to post / PM me.

Offline DPalmz

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:09:23 AM »
I'm sure I would definitely enjoy being a GM.... just not yet.

I'll totally let you know if I need help or something when I get around to GM somethin!