News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Golden Demons  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Veteric

• There is no truth
Golden Demons
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
Hello all you painting geniuses.  I am planning on entering some models into this year's Golden Demon competition at Gamesday Baltimore.  My feeling is that, in general, my painting skills are up to the challenge, but I am concerned that may not be enough.  My question is for anyone, but particularly Golden Demon winners.  What advice can you give on how to do well in the competition?

Of course, ideally I would love to win even a bronze statue, but I would be more than content to get an honorable mention or even get past the first cut.  I am certainly looking at my first entries as a learning experience more than anything, but I certainly would like to do well, or at the very least not embarrass myself!  Again,  I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice on what makes a winning entry. 

As I side note, I intend to post some pictures of possible entries and ideas for comments and criticism as soon as I locate my camera and get some models in a state of near completion.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Golden Demons
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »
1. Set the level that is WAY above your normal painting quality and try to achieve it. It is doable although might take sometime.
2. Take your time yet try to enter into as many categories as you can.
3. Do not select you models based on the army you play. You will not be able to do it anyway, unless you play all three systems.
4. I suggest going for newer models. Many of them are WAY better then the older models, exceptions, of cause exist : Phoenix lords being old and all that, remain the best models GW ever made, but this is an exception that more or less confirms the rule.
5. Presentation, presentation and presentation. This is especially important in Duel and Open. The model should tell the story, base should be appropriate for this story, color selection should be appropriate for the story and be in harmony with the base. Style should be consistent. In other word if you go for a garish cartoony spacemarine don't give him very realistic well weathered bolter.
6. Use of advanced techniques is a must. Let me put it this way, GD judging is very technical. They look at the number of techniques used and how well they are executed. Free hand is a technique. Well executed one is a large bonus for you, poorly executed one can push you down. So, you need to judge whether you can execute something well or not, depending on this either use it or don't. If you know that you cannot possibly make smooth blending on the face and after several attempts it is not improving then a) drop it, b) postpone it and come back to it later
7. Conversions - see above. Poorly executed but well painted conversion will not save your hide. Do them ONLY if you are sure you can do them well. Don't do them just for the sake of having converted something. I had a demon for extensively converted mini, and another one for a mini with no conversion at all.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2009, 09:35:29 PM by Skeeve »

Offline Veteric

• There is no truth
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
Excellent and very much appreciated advice, Skeeve. 

So far I think I will enter a demonhunter into the single 40k.  I have some ideas for freehand designs and a thematic look that I would like to try and that I think I can execute well.  Also, although I think the miniature quality is not ideal I want to try a squad of grots for the 40k squad category.  The models are meh, but they ooze character. Otherwise, I am looking through the ranges to select models from lots of different armies, that I think will be fun to paint!  Most of all I want to have fun and attempt to get something I am proud of into most of the categories.

I especially appreciate your comment about presentation.  I think this will be my biggest challenge and I will try to keep this in mind while working.  Also, your comment on conversions is helpful.  While I can do some headswaps and such, I do not feel highly confident in my converting skills.  Good to know that an unconverted model is still possible. 

Thanks again.  Altogether I think your comments and advice are just what I was looking to hear. 

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »
I would love to see some pics of stuff you have painted, that way we can get an idea of where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Offline slargy_of_thor

• May the schwartz be with ya
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
ay mr.veteric, i too was in this boat earlier this year and wont ya know it? i was going to go to the baltimore one too but alas... their was a date change and boof... no more dream.    (it also doesnt help that everyone i know laughed at me as i would only be 16 when the GD rolled around, dont get me wrong, i still won several local painting comps)     one tip from me that i notice about the the recent GDs. along the lines of color scheme, go for a striking  scheme with bright colors that compliment eachother! it seems that those are the ones that always win. also, remember to aim low in your expectations for victory...that way if you win you will feel 9 times happier
ya see the world dont spin to the beat of just one drum,
what may be good for you,
may not be good for some,
you take the good,
u take the bad , u take them both then you have,
my opening statement sit boo boo sit good dog

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:15:02 AM »
I think having GamesDay LA cancelled for this year is a good thing for me.  Right now, I'm working on a lot of different painting techniques.  Sometimes, it's the continuous improvement on the little things can result in a huge change down the line.  There's one idea in mind I want to do in the "duo" section and it's just totally for the lolz.