News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70430 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Howling Banshees
« Reply #460 on: July 19, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »
The Admech look great, and I  really like the splashes of dirt on their lower robes :)

As for the next thing to paint... both are amazing options, I would recommend magnetizing the war walker though.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Dire Avengers and Spirit Seer
« Reply #461 on: August 1, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »
Mechanicus can be deceivingly complicated to paint, as while it's mostly metallic, there's so much filigree and then the robes.

The main problem I find is just finding correct angles for the brush to hit all the nooks and crannies. I know you probably won't ever see those nooks and crannies...but I'll know and it would make me sad! I'm glad you like the Ad Mech!

The Admech look great, and I  really like the splashes of dirt on their lower robes :)

As for the next thing to paint... both are amazing options, I would recommend magnetizing the war walker though.

I try to add that little touch of weathering to all my models (except Eldar. They're too fancy for dirt) as I really feel it makes the model just that touch more realistic (Realism Loosh? How can you possibly make a Robo-Horse with Cybernetic Man rider from M41 more realistic? Madness!).

I am planning on magnetising the weapons, although my magnets are deep in storage and I'm yet to find suitable replacements.

Anyhoo, I made some progress! Apart from tidying up one or 2 highlights and adding an edge highlight to the Exarch's power weapon, the Dire Avengers are complete!

Mechanicus Standard Grey Base Coat. Head kept separate because it makes life way more easy.

Kantor Blue airbrush base coat:

The team, prior to Nuln oil recess shades:

And then I totally forgot any progress shots. So the entire team. I really, really need to tidy up the Exarch's loin cloth. It looks terrific from every angle other than this one! Dammit!

Again, because it's zoomed in, the loin cloth looks a bit slap dash. I definitely passes the 3 foot test tough.

This photo makes me realise I need 1 more highlight on the helm gem. FFS...these photos are just making me realise the models aren't finished! Damn!

Can I just take a moment to praise the Banshee sculpts? There are amazing, with clean, crisp details. The Dire Avengers are fine. Way better than old models...but not a patch on the Banshees. A bit of a be-atch to put together too.The detail is just far more indistinct. I can't wait for the entire Aspect Warrior range to be updated to plastics as good as the Banshees (I know the Avengers won't be updated, but they're serviceable. Finecast is not.

I found a pair of bonus models too! One is an Autarch who is 50% complete. It'll stay that way too, as its cloak is in storage 100 miles away. Drat.

The other is this guy. He was lovely to paint:

I tried to make the cloak a bit darker and richer than the armour. I think I succeeded, but I'm aware that the edges need a smooth highlight on them to accentuate the richness further in.

I just wanted all these updated Alaitoc to have a really clean, crisp finish. The blue and grey/white are such easy colours to work with; it means the red pops without dominating whilst the gold adds some warmth to what is quite a cold palette.

Don't forget this thing, from the Dire Avenger box, plus a part from another old War Walker box (It was in the wrong colours, so I added it to this base and updated.

I also managed to crank out a lot of work on this guy:

Flat colours at the moment, but plenty of work still to be done.

So a busy couple of weeks at Loosh's hobby desk. Hopefully I can keep this enthusiasm rolling going forward.

As always, thank you for stopping by to take a look. Let me know what you think!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #462 on: August 1, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
Outstanding work on the Dire Avengers.  They have turned out very well, especially regarding the quality of the blue.

I'm most impressed with your use of white on all the models though.  You've really managed to get that spot on in every way.  It looks fantastic.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #463 on: August 1, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Hi Loosh! Very beautiful craftworlds army you're building. Though I do find it odd that their scheme is so close to the Crimson Fist! ;) Loving it! The spiritseer is definitely my favorite, so crisp!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #464 on: August 1, 2020, 11:02:13 PM »
That blue is so soft! Love it, love it! Such great presence.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #465 on: August 2, 2020, 11:27:50 PM »
looking awesome Looshkin! Love the way you are painting the blades up and the high gloss on the spiritseer helmet, too good :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Dire Avengers, Spirit Seer + War Walker
« Reply #466 on: August 3, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
Thanks all for your kind comments!

I say all...but then this clown showed up:
Though I do find it odd that their scheme is so close to the Crimson Fist! ;)

How dare you?

How effing dare you?

Those schemes are wildly different. The Crimson Fists are Blue with red as a secondary and grey/white as a spot colour, while the Alaitoc Eldar are *clearly* Blue with grey/white as a secondary and red as a spot colour.

Totally different and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

Lolz. I'm rumbled. I can only paint Blue, Red, Grey/White, Gold and Silver. As such, that's all you get palette-wise...

Anyway, progress time! I've probably finished the War Walker. I'm painting in record time for me and to a consistent level, so I'm happy. I'm still mulling whether to weather the Walker. Not sure. Also, the weapons aren't attached. No magnets, so Blu Tac has to make do for the moment:

I haven't used lahmian medium over the transfers yet, so there's that to do to smooth them out:

So there you go. I've got a Crimson Hunter on the go right now, so progress shots of that in the coming days.

Cheers for stopping by, leave your thoughts and any ideas below!

Let the autocensor do its work, so that you don't have to - Iris ;).

« Last Edit: August 6, 2020, 03:54:06 PM by Looshkin »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #467 on: August 3, 2020, 05:17:33 PM »
Lolz. I'm rumbled. I can only paint Blue, Red, Grey/White, Gold and Silver. As such, that's all you get palette-wise...

lol aint no stopping a good thing :)

That's the best use of that war walker base I can remember, just awesome.

Might just be the light, but the triangle decals might need some micro set or micro sol to stop the edges from standing out so much.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #468 on: August 3, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »
Thanks Mage, I appreciate the feedback. I need some Lahmain Medium to both protect the decals and also knock back the edges; so what you're saying is absolutely right. Hopefully I'll be able to pick some up later in the week.

I'm glad you like the base too! I was somewhat stumped as to how to make it fit the theme of the rest of the army, but it seems to have worked. Or at least, if you like it, that's good enough for me!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #469 on: August 4, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »
Try looking for the liquitex version of Lahmain medium, for $3.50 extra I get almost 5 times the amount and it drips out :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Crimson Hunter
« Reply #470 on: August 6, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »
Try looking for the liquitex version of Lahmain medium, for $3.50 extra I get almost 5 times the amount and it drips out :)

That's a great suggestion Mage. I hadn't heard of that before, but I'll check if it's available in the UK. If not, I'll be popping into town tomorrow to grab some Medium.

Well...turns out Loosh's updates are now like London buses. You wait ages for one to appear and then the hobby muse bites hard and the London Transport authority cranks out a Crimson Hunter.

Something like that, anyway.

First up, an early wish WiP. I decided to try and use a stencil on a mini for the first time (2nd time, actually...I tried it on the War Walker, but that model was just too small to work well). For a first real effort, I am really, really happy about how it came out.

I also decided to go to town on the base, using some of a Sector Imperialis Ruins set to build some height into the base and give the model the impression of carrying out a daring strafing run (or pulling out of one, for accuracy's sake).

As I always do, I then got totally carried away and stopped thinking about WiPs:

Wing detail:

Yes, I painted the pilot...although I'm annoyed because the canopy wasn't the best; when it was trimmed it looked a little miscast, hence the  white bits on the inside near the top front and top right (as we look at it)

Top down view:

Underside, light, to blend in with the sky a little better (I know that bright red gems don't help, but my little plane has lights on it and is still practically invisible, so the colour is probably enough...

Finished base:

Gems galore:

I am super happy with how this one came out...and in only 4 and a bit days! I have 3 Wind Riders to work on next, but it'll actually be my wallet that slows me down the most from here on out!

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed the views!
« Last Edit: August 6, 2020, 04:54:45 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #471 on: August 6, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »
Hmm? Well I gotta say this crimson hunter looks freaking amazing. Not just a little or a smidge amazong but freaking! 8) such a lovely army.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #472 on: August 6, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
the diamonds pattern is a cool take on the holofields and the white under belly looks super clean. The base looks fantastic as well, great work!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Crimson Hunter
« Reply #473 on: August 8, 2020, 08:36:24 AM »
Damn Loosh, everything looks absolutley incredible. The coldness of the Dire Avengers is just brilliant... and that Spirit Seer... DAMN! The War Walker looks absolutley incredible and the basing is ridiculously cool. The Crimson Hunter... wow. Wow. This man is back with a freaking vengeance. Just incredible man. The softness, the clean, clean brush work is all just incredible.

I just love your take on the Alaitoc scheme, its so dark and cold. I love it man, brilliant masterful work. You should really be proud of these man. Phenomenal!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Wind Riders
« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2020, 05:14:21 AM »
Thank you guys! Your comments really mean a lot and it gives me motivation to keep working at my Aeldari...this really is the first time I've ever felt excited to work Eldar; before it was just a case of 'I have the models and occasionally play with them so I had better paint them'. Now though, I'm really keen to keep working and keep producing new units because I'm pretty proud of how they're coming out.

the diamonds pattern is a cool take on the holofields and the white under belly looks super clean. The base looks fantastic as well, great work!

Hadn't even thought of the diamonds being a sort of Holofield...that's genius Mage! I'm definitely stealing that reasoning!

Hmm? Well I gotta say this crimson hunter looks freaking amazing. Not just a little or a smidge amazong but freaking! 8) such a lovely army.

Awwwww shucks, now you done made me blush...thanks Dread!

I just love your take on the Alaitoc scheme, its so dark and cold.

Thanks Cav. It's a colour scheme that I've been thinking of for a long while. It only actually came into being because of the Crimson Fists...and that only came into being because of one of your updates when you explained how you did your whites and greys...so thank you Cav! I studiously avoided painting anything grey or white until you showed me what was possible and that, in turn, meant Grim Dark Alaitoc could become a reality.

Update time. A little slower progress this week. I was up visiting my son for a few days last weekend, so packed up my minis and paints and was looking forward to cranking out some work in the evenings...but I totally forgot my brushes. D'oh!

Oh well, a couple of bad weather days this week set me back on track and I managed to finish 3 Wind Riders.

Top down view. The stripes were a very late addition. I had tried the diamond scheme on these, but the areas weren't big snout or flat enough for my skills, so I repainted after I saw it didn't work. When I 'finished' the models though, they were just too blue and needed a little something to break up the colours a bit. I found some masking tape and bashed these out. I'm happy with how they look, the stripes improved the balance of the model greatly.

I made sure I didn't get lazy with these guys; I don't know enough about the rules at the moment to know what to arm them with, so all of the weapons are just pushed into place and can be swapped out easily. I'll probably just use a tiny bit of blue tac to anchor them in place if ever I play with them. However, to ensure I could have all Scatter Laser bikes, or all Shuriken Cannon bikes, or heck, even just Catapults, I painted all of them at the same time. It ensures a consistent finish and means I've earned the right to be lazy with weapons on future Wind Riders.

So that's the update. Wind Riders that I'm really pleased with. I look forward to adding some more at a future date. For now though, I have the Start Collecting box really to be constructed...so I have to decide what to work from in that kit.

Thanks for popping in guys! Let me know what you think and let me know if you would change anything or how you'd deal with fixing the weapons in place if you have some good ideas! Laters!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
Man I love that blue scheme, just simply perfect! Use magnets on weapons, I wish I had all those years ago but alas...anywho, great job.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »
Stunning work, Loosh! The windriders look awesome! How often do you use those sticks for painting sub-assemblies? Also, what's your opinion on the artis opus brushes?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #477 on: August 16, 2020, 05:12:20 PM »
They look awesome Looshkin, the racing stripe is a nice touch.

Magnets work well on them and are probably the easiest in the Eldar range to do.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Wraithblades
« Reply #478 on: August 23, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
Stunning work, Loosh! The windriders look awesome! How often do you use those sticks for painting sub-assemblies? Also, what's your opinion on the artis opus brushes?

I use the toothpicks and a little blue tac on pretty much every model I paint. The main body and legs are stuck to the base while I work on them and I find that weapons just get in the way, so I regularly do them as sub-assemblies. The heads for the Eldar I always paint separately now; I find that they benefit from working from a base coat of grey, giving a cleaner, brighter finish. If I left them with the bodies, they would have to be reprimed after my base coat goes on...more layers=more thickness=less detail=unhappy Loosh.

As for the Artis Opus brushes, I'm in love with them. Genuinely the best that I've used. A little more expensive initially, but the drybrushes are wonderfully soft and easy to use. The regular detail brushes hold a point terrifically; to the point where I almost never use the 000 brush as I just don't need to. Indeed, the 1 size brush is better than a lot of 0 and 00 brushes I've used in the past. So yeah, lovely.

They look awesome Looshkin, the racing stripe is a nice touch.

Magnets work well on them and are probably the easiest in the Eldar range to do.

Man I love that blue scheme, just simply perfect! Use magnets on weapons, I wish I had all those years ago but alas...anywho, great job.

Thanks guys. I will definitely magnetise as soon as I have full access to all my gear. Until then, a bit of blue tac will have to do!

Progress report!

Some Wraithblades came to play this week. I somewhat enjoyed painting them and love the finish. I'm just unsure whether I should have done a few more gems and things to break up the blue. Not sure, but I'll leave it for now and make a decision down the road when I have more models painted.

Now, most excitingly, I was visiting my brother today. He's actually the artist in the family. His painting is way better than mine...but he never paints. He's also a good photographer...a good photographer with decent kit.

So a couple of my minis glammed themselves up for a photo shoot. We were short on time, so only got a couple of shots in, but hopefully we'll get more done in the future.

You know I love this guy. Note to self, though; get a compressed air can to clean the minis of dust and all of the cat hair before the next shoot!

One of the new guys:

And I just love this shot. Porn for a painter.

I'm working on a Farseer and the Ranger from the Blackstone Fortress set next. Not sure what to do with the Ranger cloak, so answers on a postcard please!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:42:12 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Wraithblades
« Reply #479 on: August 23, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
Wow, those minis are absolutely stunning in that lightbox setup, Loosh! The wraithguard look absolutely ghostly and the captain, magnificent! I'll definitely be giving those artis opus brushes a buy at some point. They're pretty expensive though for someone in the USA lol.