News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 93893 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Garrek's Reavers/Crimson Fists/Goblins
« Reply #420 on: April 4, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »
Hi Loosh, glad you're back! Sorry for the challenges that you've had to overcome, but I'm glad that everyone involved is able to move forward.

Glad to see such a triumphant return to the hobby! Those splintered fang look amazing! How did you paint the scale mail, the color is very interesting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #421 on: April 4, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
Hi Loosh, glad you're back! Sorry for the challenges that you've had to overcome, but I'm glad that everyone involved is able to move forward.

Glad to see such a triumphant return to the hobby! Those splintered fang look amazing! How did you paint the scale mail, the color is very interesting!

Thanks man, we all encounter challenges. Mine are actually pretty trivial compared to what life throws at a lot of people, so for that, I am am thankful.

As for the scale mail, it's pretty simple. Runefang Steel base coat, followed by a wash of the Akhelian Green contrast paint. After that, a further dry brush of Runefang to bring it back to a more silver finish.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #422 on: April 4, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
The 30 day message is a feature of the forum software, it is not specific to this forum.  The forum rules always take precedence over that particular warning message ;).

The quality of the colour really stands out for me on these miniatures.  The turquoise, greens, and purples are particularly appealing in this respect.  The scales on the snake and the armour have also turned out really well.

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #423 on: April 4, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
Dude! So glad to see you here. Youve been missed, but our aim is getting better...... ;Dhaha! It's good to see you haven't lost your touch, beautiful stuff as always. I know how you feel about the pandemic, I now have a new level 50 character on skyrim. I've been painting as well, just went out and primed my Tau KT. I think, hope, I may get to play tonight. Good to see ya.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #424 on: April 7, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
Hey Loosh like I mentioned previously sorry about everything that happened with Mrs. Loosh, thats very tough man, and regardless of how things shake out I'm wishing you the best.

As for your models, brilliant as always man. The colors are popping like a madman and the execution is simply flawless. Glad you are back in the saddle and painting again. Love your stuff to death and glad to see you painting again brother. Take it easy and keep painting man, looking forward to more.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Necromunda: House Escher
« Reply #425 on: May 6, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words about my models and your support for me generally, it means a lot; especially during these trying times when I don't have work to bury myself in and I don't get to see my son often enough (went to see him for 6 days for the first time in 6 weeks the other day...damn that brightens up your outlook on life!)

As for the rest of the time, I've fallen into a cycle of watching Netflix, going for a run, playing a computer game and doing a spot of painting here and there. Just trying not to only do 1 thing for an entire day to keep my interest levels up.

As for the painting...the last few weeks have been spent getting some girls ready for the gaming table. I've wanted to paint some of these for...hell...it must be around 25 years or so. I loved the models when they were first released and the new iteration of the game gave me exactly the excuse I'd needed to wade in.

Yup, one of my longest model crushes has been on the Escher range for Necromunda.

I haven't played this at all since the reissue, but when I put the gang together, I wanted it to at least be able to compete out of the gate and be visually correct...although the rule of cool absolutely took over in a couple of instances.

I'll not lie; these were more difficult to paint than I expected. A lot of difficult angles to deal with, a lot of different textures...too much leather. I'm going to reattach these in a couple of weeks, but I wanted to get them to a useable stage and then go from there later. I need highlights on the leather, I need to tidy up the boss' coat...but generally, I'm somewhat happy. I just feel like I need more...something on each mini to make them stand out a little more.

When I get back to these girls, hopefully my proper camera will be up and running (No battery charge and I have no idea where the charger is...)...as it is, I apologise for the exposure. I tried a black and a white background and neither worked particularly well, so apologies!

So there you go; House Escher pretty much set to retake some of the Hive. I do have to add some bits and bobs to finish them. Maybe some tattoos here and there. General tidying up in a couple of places (there is one model with very, very wonky eyes!). I also have to figure out a name for the Gang and come up with some suitably threatening names!

So what's next? It's back to something I built a long time ago, base coated and then lost all interest in painting...but I've made some good progress over the past couple of days:

I've got to get these right, because Myen'Tal has been treating you guys to some very lovely Idoneth Deepkin recently, so it wouldn't be fitting to let the side down now!

Let me know what you think; as always I appreciate the feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to drop in on my little plog.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #426 on: May 6, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »
Loosh, those House Escher models look absolutely stunning! Are you doing all of this by traditional brush, because if so, that's insane!

I am loving the progress on the Namarti Reavers! I know you'll do them great justice  :), cannot wait to see Briomdar in all of its splender!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #427 on: May 6, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
Looking really nice. Tattoos will add that extra umph! Get those elves done first, getting the ladies tattooed right now might not be safe, being the virus is still around...too soon? Anyhow, hope you get back to work soon and get to hang with the family.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #428 on: May 7, 2020, 05:54:03 PM »
got to love that hair :) Really nice work, yellows not an easy colour to work with, but it come out great!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #429 on: May 8, 2020, 03:48:22 AM »
Fantastic stuff Looshkin!  Excellent paint jobs all around, especially those house escher gangers!  Keep it up!  :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
Everything is looking glorious Loosh. I've done yellow and black schemes before and I know how tough it is. But the yellow is popping like a madman and so is the hair. They all look gorgeous man. The skin is great too. I love it. Keep rocking man, cant wait to see what you get painted next
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #431 on: May 14, 2020, 05:54:57 AM »
I apologise for the exposure. I tried a black and a white background and neither worked particularly well, so apologies!

I am not a fan of black backgrounds as I think for the average amateur photographer they are too difficult to light and expose correctly. It is a technique that seems to be bleeding across from professional portrait photography.

Yup, one of my longest model crushes has been on the Escher range for Necromunda.

Nice! Your yellow looks brilliant and it really pops.

So what's next? It's back to something I built a long time ago, base coated and then lost all interest in painting...but I've made some good progress over the past couple of days:

These are looking great so far Looshkin. I really like the colour of the flesh as I think for people that are supposed to live underwater it looks suitably pallid.

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #432 on: May 17, 2020, 11:56:01 AM »
I am not a fan of black backgrounds as I think for the average amateur photographer they are too difficult to light and expose correctly. It is a technique that seems to be bleeding across from professional portrait photography.

It's the problem of having very, very bright light colours (The skin, the yellow) and very dark darks (the leather) with nothing in the middle. Thus, on a dark background, the light colours are badly overexposed. On a light background, you get the opposite. It isn't helped at all by being restricted to my iPhone, not my Canon Eos. Oh well! Thank you for the input though.

All Thank you for dropping by to look at my minis and thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate the time that you take to read through my waffle and then post.

Loosh, those House Escher models look absolutely stunning! Are you doing all of this by traditional brush, because if so, that's insane!

All brushwork brother. I'm nowhere near accomplished enough to do anything other than scenery or vehicles with an airbrush,,,and even then...

Anyhoo, I previewed some Ideneth Reivers. So Idoneth you will get. I just wanted to knock these together somewhat quickly and with a solid paintjob. The bows and arrows I wanted to look as though they had been crafted from coral; I figure the Eldar work with Wraithbone, why wouldn't the Idoneth work with one of their most plentiful resources?

Other than that, I tried to stick to oceanic tones; blue/greens with a pallid, almost sickly skin tone, befitting the portion of the race whose should wither and die without their vampiric ways. It was all about trying to make the cloaks do the work, while the orangey/yellows act as a counterpoint.

Let me know what you all think:

No basing done, as my basing kits are packed away in storage somewhere and I won't be able to touch them until I buy and move into a house. So many, many months away I should expect!

As always, thank you for stopping by!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #433 on: May 17, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »
looking great Looshkin, what colour did you use on the bow and arrows?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #434 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »
Wonderful, Loosh, I'm liking them as well!

I feel like all the colors strike a good balance, which is something I often take for granted lol.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #435 on: May 17, 2020, 11:23:44 PM »
 8)Deep! Smooth and so delicate with we are the champions of the world perspective. Good color flow and shows they're from the , well, deep. Always a pleasure to see like a certain other water elf collector here.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #436 on: May 18, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
Let me know what you all think:

I think I am lost for words. Your choice of colours is sublime and the pallid skin looks brilliant.

As ever when it comes to really good painting I am drawn to the little things, and in this case it is the leggings. I dont know if it is trick of the light, or the method you have used to paint them (is there a grey highlight?), but I am amazed by how they look 'soft'.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #437 on: May 22, 2020, 11:07:12 PM »
Hey Loosh! So I did it, I got Drazhar. Ugh, $40 but I think it was worth it. I'll have pics up on my blog of progress when I get started on him.  8)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #438 on: May 23, 2020, 06:07:31 AM »
I think your work is absolutely amazing Looshkin!  A real inspiration for everyone here!  Thanks for sharing!  :D

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #439 on: June 2, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »
Thanks all for your kind words!

looking great Looshkin, what colour did you use on the bow and arrows?

It's a screaming skull base with a Cassandora yellow wash. That's all. The bows were then dry brushed back towards a bone using screaming skull again.

I think I am lost for words. Your choice of colours is sublime and the pallid skin looks brilliant.

As ever when it comes to really good painting I am drawn to the little things, and in this case it is the leggings. I dont know if it is trick of the light, or the method you have used to paint them (is there a grey highlight?), but I am amazed by how they look 'soft'.

First off, awwwww..shucks, you gone done and made me blush. Seriously, thank you for saying the nice things!

For the leggings...as I always say, it's better to be lucky than good.

It's just an Abaddon Black base with a nun oil wash. Didn't do anything else. Let the models do the work.

So, progress time!

Not a lot to report really. I did a little work on the 3 Primaris Inceptors from Dark Millennium. Without their flying bases or real bases, I'm stuck. I don't like to do details/weathering etc without knowing how it will look with the base. Some models need a lot, some only a little, so I didn't want to go the wrong way with them.

So they're about 85-90% done. Not much to do at all.

Next, I did a little more work on some Poxwalkers:

Some final highlights and weathering needed on these:

Whilst these are just hitting the table.

Once these guys are all finished, I think that I'll have painted everything in the Dark Millennium box...which will be the first time I have ever completely painted a starter box! Just in time for the next edition *facepalm*

Sorry it's only a small update. I'm back to work now, so updates will probably be a bit slower.

Thanks, as always, for dropping by.