News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killersquid's Projects  (Read 74003 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Killersquids Militarium Tempestus
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
Really nice work Killersquid. I think that Scion looks great, and the base suits the model really well. The light base helps the relatively dark model pop, so nice work.

One question, how did you get on with the Aggrellan? I always found that unless I prebased with PVA that the Earth wouldn't crack enough and look good. I'd be interested to know if you used PVA or if you had this problem. If not, hopefully they've changed the recipe somehow.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »
I just put the stuff on and it worked on it's own. I needed to make it sort of thick-ish. Only used it on 11 models so far, but no issues as of yet.

The youtube video I found helpful. New Citadel paints - Agrellan Earth. - YouTube
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:48:13 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »
That scion looks absolutely awesome KS!
I agree with Looshkin that the base really does a great job of offsetting the overall darkness of the model. It looks superb!
I look forward to seeing the Valkyrie, one of my favourite GW models!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
Auric's Pride, thanks!

I played my third ever game with the Scions. Played 800pts against Matt from the league. The mission we played was Assassinate (from our league mission pack). You won, if at the end of the game your warlord was alive, and your opponents warlord was dead.

I had

Command squad with x3 hotshot volley guns, medic and power weapon on the Tempestor Prime
Commissar with power sword.

x2 scion squads with x2 plasma gun
x2 scion squads with x2 melta gun (one tempestor has a powerfist)
x2 missile/autocannon Taurox Prime
x1 Gattling Cannon/storm bolter/ Hotshot Vollygun Taurox Prime

He brought his Necrons

x3 squads of warriors
x2 units of scarabs
Overlord
3 Destroyers
Triarch stalker.

His warlord trait was his warlord's squad gained relentless, and I had Grav-chute commandos, so I re-rolled reserve rolls and only scattered d6" with deep strike.

MY warlord was the Tempestor Prime, his was the overlord.

Deployment was in opposite table quarters.

I deepstruck everything except the Taurox's and the commissar who was chilling in a taurox. He deployed fairly symmetrically.

Turn 1

I went first, and started off by killing 7/10 warriors from one squad, and three scarabs. Those Taurox's can dish out a lot of hurt!

He advanced towards me, and his destroyers tried some pot shots at one of the Taurox's, but didn't case any glancing hits.

Turn 2

All my reserves came in. Deepstruck the melta scion squads behind the Stalker, and the others around my command squad. Took down the last of the Scarbs, Stalker and the weakened warrior unit in shooting.

In his turn, he wiped out both the Melta-scion squads in shooting.

Turn 3

Taurox Primes and the plasma squads put the pain on another warrior squad. Command squad moves around some large terrain.

His warriors finish off the two plasma squads.

Turn 4

Hotshot Vollyguns from the command squad, and the Taurox's kill the whole squad of warriors the lord is with and take two wounds off the Lord.

His destroyers, then kill off all the Scions in the Tempestor Primes command squad. The overlord charges the Tempestor Prime, who wounds the Necron lord with his power sword, bt the overlord passes his reanimation Protocol save, and the warscythe makes short work of the Tempestor Prime.

Turn 5

Taurox mow down the Overlord with Autocannon and Missle, and start putting some hurt on the Destroyers.

Destroyers put a hull point on one of the Taurox.

At this point the game ends.

So, I learned a lot from this game. Mostly, how amazing Taurox Prime's are, and just how flimsy Scions are lol. I should have been a lot more cautious with my deep-strikes and tried to limit how much fire he could bring to bear on me. Also, I'm going to try and fit in the getting started box formation into regular games, as having a squad that can recycle would be amazing.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2016, 06:52:41 AM »
Nice bat-rep KS. Played really gutsy which I like but limiting return fire is big. But hey you went for gusto. Can't fault your for that :) Yeah the Taurox-Primes are crazy awesome. They are sort of like Dark Eldar Venoms for Imperials. Even regular Taurox are pretty nice.

As always the minis looked really nice. Good to see you do well against the Necrons. They are tough no matter what points level you play at. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #165 on: October 8, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »
Nice bat-rep KS. Played really gutsy which I like but limiting return fire is big. But hey you went for gusto. Can't fault your for that :) Yeah the Taurox-Primes are crazy awesome. They are sort of like Dark Eldar Venoms for Imperials. Even regular Taurox are pretty nice.

As always the minis looked really nice. Good to see you do well against the Necrons. They are tough no matter what points level you play at. Keep it up!

Thanks! Yeah, they are tough. I should have stuck it out in my transports a bit more, as they had trouble busting those apart. Oh well!

I painted some more things. Even made an inquisitor. I just need to decide which Ordo he'll be a part of. I have two Valkyries at the FLGS for me to pick up eventually lol.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #166 on: October 8, 2016, 07:12:46 PM »
Nice work and bat rep. Finally got me some time but playing x-wing.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #167 on: October 9, 2016, 04:12:38 AM »
Really nice force that you have there KS. The army looks really cohesive thanks to a great colour scheme, and those bases really finish things off well. Love it.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #168 on: October 9, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
Man what nice looking force. Gotta say these paint jobs have sold me on the models. They didn't look suitably "Imperium" with the bright blue paint jobs and what not. But the way you pulled out all the plating and various fabrics with alternating colors makes them look like they came right out of some of the old school grim-dark of the 2nd ed. art. I really, really like them.

The Inquisitor is also fantastic and really grim-dark. Almost bizarre which I love. I actually think 40k could turn up the weird a bit more... I feel like they did a good job of that with the Ad-Mech infantry... but a little more weird and macabre would go a long way.

Anyway great stuff KS I really love em.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:19 PM »
Thanks everyone. I've tried to do the models justice! I'd like to expand on the inquisitor and his Retinue, but I feel that may be a project for down the road.

I bought my two Vaylkries last night (I didn't realize how big the kits were!). I also played a test game for a tournament I have coming up. The event is 1500pts, but we played 1000pts as that's as high as I could go.

I brought

Combined Arms Detachment

Militarium Tempestus Command squad
x3 hot shot vollygun, x1 medic

x2 Scion squads with x2 plasma guns and Missile/Autocannon Taurox Prime
x1 Scion squad with x2 meltagun and powerfist tempestor
x1 Scion squad with x2 meltagun and Gattling Cannon/Hotshot vollygun Taurox Prime

Assassin Detachment with x1 Callidus Assassin

He had

Obyeron (?) Warscythe special charater who teleports
x10 Immortals
x2 units of 15 warriors in Night Scythes.

The missile we rolled was called 'King of the Hill'

One objective in the middile with 12" scoring bubble. Starting Turn 2, if you have more units in the bubble, you gains VP equal to the turn number. Objective Secured units count as 2 units.

Secondary was Kill Points

tertiary was Line Breaker, Slay the Warlord, First Strike and Marked for Death.

My opponent won the roll to go first, and deployed just his Lord and the Immortals, with the warriors in their transports in reserves.

I deployed just the Taurox's, and infiltrated the assassin nearish the middle of the table.

Turn 1.

He teleported on the objective with the Immortals, but scattered near some ruins off to the side. He shot at one of my Taurox Prime's, but didn't do any damage.

My turn 1, all the Taurox's shot at the Immortals and killed off half the unit. Assassin started booking it their way.

Turn 2.

The Necron's failed both of their reserve rolls. Due to bad luck, and the Callidus. He ran his unit into some ruins for cover.

All my scions arrive from reserves. They all deepstrike within 12" of the objective, except for one plasma squad which deestriked into some woods to shoot the Immortals.

In my shooting phase, I killed off all but one of the Immortals, and put a wound on Oberyon.

I score 2pts for controlling the middle.

Turn 3.

Necron Reserves come in. He disembarks his warriors in rapid-fire range of some of my scion squads. Immortals harmlessly shoot my scions in the woods, while the warriors and Night Scythes incinerate three squads of scions. Unsurprisingly.

I focus all my attention on the warriors at this point. The plasma scions get into their Taurox, while the command squad hops into another (don't die!). I shoot into the closest warrior squad with pretty much everything, and knock them down to about 8 warriors. The Callidus charges them, but dies to overwatch. Womp womp.

I'm at 5pts to his 0

Turn 4

His night scythes have to fly past all my units, so cannot shoot. His one warrior squad puts a hullpoint on one of the Taurox. The Immortals try to charge one of my missile taurox, but fail the charge.

Shooting sees me finish off the weakned warriors squad with the taurox shooting and the Command squad, while the Plasma squad (shooting out of the Taruox), Take the last wound off oyberon and kill the last Immortal with their plamsa guns.

9pts to 0 as I have many units to his 1

The rest of the next couple of turns, sees his warriors harmlessly shooting my Taurox's, while I continue to mow them down and rake up VP's.

My opponents army did a great deal of hurt to me the turn they arrived, but the three scion squads he killed was less then 300pts lol. I told him he should break up all his units into as many as possible. Gives him more options. I said he should also drop one of the night scythes for more ground pounding units. Maybe destoyers or tomb blades who can also zip around a bit, or flayed ones who can deep strike or Infiltrate. I think a big advantage of Necrons is MSU, as they are so hard to kill, and many small units are harder to take out in combat.

For my part, I need to deep-strike less. My guys are super fragile and every time I deepstrike the whole lot, I get blasted afterwards. I'd be better off maybe just deep striking one or two of the melta squads, and hanging back with the shooting Taurox's and then roll up and deploy later.

The assassin was a big let down, but her ability to influence my opponents reserve rolls did help a lot. I don't think it was a scion and a half worth of points value though.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »
Nice report! Good to see a Callidus hitting the board. Haven't seen her fielded by anybody since 4th edition, for serious. Too bad she didn't do much.

How are you liking the Taurox Gatling Cannon? It looks like a nice little gun on paper--what has the in-game performance been?

Gotta say, I'm consistently surprised your Taurox aren't getting blasted straight off the board more often. They seem so, so fragile. 

• Ancient
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
The Callidus I don't think will be part of the list in the future. I took her to fill points, but now that I have my fliers, I'll use them instead.

The Gattling cannon gets on average (for me at least) 3 wounds on the target it's shooting at each time it fires. I've been seriously underwhelmed by it, and I'm planning to replace it with the Taurox Battle Cannon instead (which is 10pts cheaper). The twin-linked hotshot vollyguns, are quite nice however.

My main Tau opponent usually blows them up pretty easily, but I've had some good luck with them. Probably because I keep them far back, and folks keep blasting the amphetamine parrot out of my Scions lol.

At 1500pts I'm going to be running a Combined Arms detachment, Hell rain Brigade Formation, and probably a cheap Inquisitor in an Inquisitor Detachment. The inquisitor is mainly for Servo Skulls, (which are great offensively and Defensively) and the superior warlord traits. Militarium Tempestus have probably the world warlord traits table in the game lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »
Nice bat-rep as always KS. Very nice win against... Necrons are super tough. Probably my hardest match-up. Glad to see you are having good success with your Scions. They are a good army and I know they even have a cult following in the tourney scene too.

I think the Valkyries will be a big game changer for you (and yes they are HUGE models!). While a far cry from the nastiness of the Vendetta (for my money the best all around flyer in the game) they are not to be underestimated. Also with Death from the Skies you will get some automatic buffs if you play those rules. My question is... do you know if they have access to any of the Forge World flyers? My brother runs both a Vendetta and a Vulture (basically a Vendetta with a punisher cannon) and its hell on wings. The Avenger is quite nice too.

The Scions play wicked fast and daring which is really cool. Glad you are enjoying them. I think the Inquisition elements will definitely be a buff to your army. Anyway great stuff KS. Keep it up!

• Ancient
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »
I have no idea if I can use the Forge World stuff or not. Unless something specifically states I can take it, I'm not going to bother.

I'm looking forward to the potential amount of wounds the Valkyries will put out, with heavy bolters and missile pods. Shouldn't be too bad.

Started painting up the first of the two as well.

Lighting in my room is really not good, but it's coming along. beslubbered up the pilots though, and the canopy doesn't really fit. I'll have to figure that out.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:34 AM »
Wow... I absolutely love this paint job. Sick color choices and super nice execution. This army truly emits that badass night-attacker vibe. Killer work KS. Love it!

• Ancient
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
I finished painting 1250pts of my army, and instead of posting a picture about it, I was recently at the Skardcast studio. Skari did an army feature on my little force, if you folks want to check it out.

Warhammer 40k Army Showcase Tempestus Scions - YouTube

There is a battle report I'm in coming up soon as well. Also, there are two battle reports with my Deamonkin army I brought down before as well.

Otherwise, I have two Chaos spawn (for my Daemonkin) and two more scion squads and a Taurox Prime I'm working on!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2016, 01:00:33 AM »
Haha I thought that Inquisitor looked familiar!
Saw this video on Skari's channel yesterday and thought that the army looked a bit familiar.
The showcase really does it justice. Painting looks superb man!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2016, 07:07:47 AM »
Hey KS! You lucky dog, getting to play against Skari and in a bat-rep no less. I'm jealous! Really looking forward to that bat-rep, I'll make sure to stay tuned. Your army looks fantastic can't wait to see it action. I made sure to leave a comment for you on the video, but just to repeat- I'll be rooting for you!

• Ancient
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
Thanks friends!

I live just over an hour drive north of Skari, so I've been able to make it down a few times so far. I live in the middle of the woods, so everything is about an hour drive for me.

I played a couple of more games at 1250pts against Necrons. He played once without Decurion, and then a second time with Decurion, and a C'tan.

We played Maelstrom.

First game was Cloak and Shadows.

The first game, was a bit of a cake walk for me (to be honest). He had oberyon and a unit of warriors try to Viel of Darkness behind my lines, but ended up far away at my table edge. I basically ignored them, and went after the rest of his force.

He had two night scythes, but they are only really effective the turn they come in, as they cannot hover. He flew them up, disgorged the Immortals inside, and I was able to them just wipe out the Immortals with highly effective Taurox and Scion shooting.

I didn't quite table him, but it was a close thing.

Second game, he used the Decurion Detachment and a C'tan. The C'tan rolled the 'Falling Stars' power multiple times, which made short work of anything it touched. It's Gaze of Death also melted a unit of scions at one point too (lol). He had a Skyfire Nexus on one of the objectives on his side of the table, and twice my Hellrain brigade scion squad deepstruck there, to meltagun down his night scythes ha ha. The Hellrain brigade squad was the best, they came back every turn to deny or capture me objectives.

His army was a lot tougher to deal with this game. I didn't really kill any of his units off (two immortals killed my inquisitor, and held up my Scion Command squad in combat for multiple turns!). I was able to use my mobility and Objective Secured special rule, to steal objectives at crucial times.

He started stronger in the second game, but once I was able to kill off his mobility and start tying him down, my armies mobility came into effect. I think I just had too many objectives for him to deal with. Ended up winning by a large margin at the end.

In a straight up slug match, Necrons have a superior advantage over the Scions. He outranges me (for the most part), and I cannot stand up to his shooting. However, he lacks the ability to bring his units to bear. I was able to pretty much just dance around him, and steal all the objectives lol.

I also went out for a paddle this week too (for work). Probably the last time going out canoeing this year.

I'm now working on my last two units of scions, and Taurox to bring my force to 1500pts, and a couple of spawn for my Khorne Daemonkin.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2016, 07:50:37 AM »
Nice victory KS. Really whooping on those Necrons! Not an easy task. Congrats on the double wins.

Lovely nature photos. I'm so jealous... I'm from New England and I miss the Northeastern woods so much. Not sure of the scale... but is that standing stone a Viking menhir? Not sure if you are near where they landed. Either way super jealous. Fantastic photos... I hope you enjoyed it.

Again thats awesome you are able to play Skari. Can't wait for that bat-rep. I'll be rooting for you. Great stuff as always bud. Keep it up!