News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Yet another Tesla or Gauss question (with army list)  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Galef

Yet another Tesla or Gauss question (with army list)
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
Imotekh the Stormlord
3 Storm Crypteks, 1 Chronometron Cryptek

5 Immortals in Night Scythe (with StormTek)
7 Immortals with Tesla in Night Scythe (ChronoTek & Stormlord)

Destroyer Lord w/ Weave & MSS

6 Wraiths w/ 2 whip coils

Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Doom Scythe
-----------------------------------------1859 pts (intended Tourney is 1863pts)

My question is whether Tesla is worth it on the 7-man unit (in bold).  The other 3 units with StormTeks are obviously better with Gauss since they have to get within Rapid fire range for the Stormtek to be in range, plus all the guns in the squad can take out vehicles.

My dilemma about the 7-man unit is that I plan to get their unit out of the Scythe in a way that puts Imotekh within 1" of an enemy so that he can use his Staff (sort of like a mini, 1 turn Death Ray).  With the Immortals so close, I would think that double shots from Gauss would be better, even though better AP would not matter (since I will obviously be targeting a unit with 2+ or 3+ saves).

However, the Tesla gives me the opportunity to move away from the rest of the army should I vaporize my initial target.

Thoughts?
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Yet another Tesla or Gauss question (with army list)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
It won't really matter in my experience. Min squads are rather ineffective no matter what, unless for a dedicated suicide AT unit (with meltas or the like).

I have a love-hate relationship with tesla. When it works, it works, when it doesn't the unit folds.