News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "these bugs came out of nowhere real fast!" (2+ reserves on turn 2)  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Outsider

• Ripper
i was looking over the new codex this evening and i realized something really scary... you can have a ton of deep striking monsters appear on turn 2! on 2+ reserves no less!

its really tempting to add harpies (spam large blasts) or gargoyles (flying flock of swarmy critters with toxin sacs) or spore podding zoanthropes (to kill valuble targets and draw fire from the MCs) lots of deep-striking nastiness and more reliable than daemons... but i figure that more troops would be a better idea for holding objectives

so here it is! (2000 points)

(deep strike the flyrants)
Scything'Flyrant--255
2X scythes, wings, hive commander

Scything'Flyrant--255

Trygon--210
adrenal glands

Trygon--210
adrenal glands

Trygon--200

(outflank the genestealers)
10 genestealers--216
broodlord, toxin sacs

10 genestealers--216
broodlord, toxin sacs

10 genestealers--216
broodlord, toxin sacs

10 genestealers--216
broodlord, toxin sacs

1994 total

alternately, there is a more objective friendly, sustained assault version... (2000)

(deep strike the flyrants)
Scything'Flyrant--255

Scything'Flyrant--255

Trygon--210
adrenal glands

Trygon--200

Trygon--200

(hide the tervigons and breed till turn 2 reserves arrive...)
Tervigon--170
toxin sacs, cluster spines

Tervigon--170

Tervigon--170

10 termagants--50

10 termagants--50

10 termagants--50

1780 total

have fun!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:16:07 AM by Outsider »
what was i saying again?... my train of thought has become derailed and has killed 20 innocent bystanders...

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
Re: "these bugs came out of nowhere real fast!" (2+ reserves on turn 2)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »
I'm afraid that's 3+ reserves, as the Hive Commander bit doesn't stack. (It is a nice redundancy though)

Lictors would stack with it, but I'm not certain if we have the option to deploy them from the start.

However, 3+ reserves still tend to pour onto the table quickly.  Also, With all those Trygons, you are more than likely to get at least one onto the table turn two, so anything held up till turn three will still be able to join the fight quickly.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:12:56 PM by Travellar »
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »
Lictors would stack with it, but I'm not certain if we have the option to deploy them from the start.

I believe they have to start in reserves.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Outsider

• Ripper
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:15:28 AM »
good imput.

as for the + 2 to reserves thing, the ruling of this forum seems to be that multiples of the ability do not stack with eachother. but i have not found evidence in the codex itself to support this, so, until i get a FAQ that says one way or another, i am just going to show my opponents the ability and ask if 2 of them stack. if they don't, then i will just swap one out for that prefered enemy thing and the whip - sword combo...(same points so no changes to list composition)

i made these lists the night that i got the book... so i realise that i might have been off about a few things... primarily, the points total on the second army list... the one above it actually totaled at 1780...

2nd list... re-tooled (assuming that multiple hive commanders do not stack)

FLYRANT--255
2x scythes, hive commander, wings

FLYRANT--255
scythes, sword and whip, ancient enemy, wings

TERVIGON--220
crushing claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, catalyst, cluster spines

TERVIGON--220

TERVIGON--205
crushing claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, cluster spines

10 TERMAGANTS--50

10 TERMAGANTS--50

10 TERMAGANTS--50

VENOMTHROPE--55

TRYGON--210
adrenal glands

TRYGON--200

TRYGON--200

2000 total

the tervigons and termagants run up the front as fast as possible using catalyst to protect the big ones. the venomthrope hides directly behind the center tervigon, giving all three tervigons cover and covering most or all of the swarm with its abilities. the tervigons breed as much as possible. on turn 2 most or all of my deep striking elements ( the flyrants and trygons) arrive and terrorise my enemy. on turn three, everything should charge into combat and rip everything to shreds (crushing claws kick ass on tervigons... and since they are only S5, poison does not hurt their effectiveness that much against MEQs, and makes them really excell at killing wraithlords and C'tan and other t6 enemies) the ancient enemy tyrant will use its flying movement to get into possition to pass his re-rolls onto the tervigons and termagants when they charge.

... on a side note, i can easily get rid of the adrenal glands on the trygon... giving me ten points to play with that i don't know what to do with... (catalyst for that third tervigon costs 15...)
what was i saying again?... my train of thought has become derailed and has killed 20 innocent bystanders...

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »
I may be wrong having ownly read the entry once but I think the wings upgrade only makes the Tyrant "Move like Jump Infantry" if this is so can it deep strike as this is a none movement ability of jump infantry.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »
FLYRANT--255
2x scythes, hive commander, wings

FLYRANT--255
scythes, sword and whip, ancient enemy, wings

TERVIGON--220

TERVIGON--220

TERVIGON--205
crushing claws, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, cluster spines

10 TERMAGANTS--50

10 TERMAGANTS--50

10 TERMAGANTS--50

VENOMTHROPE--55

TRYGON--210
adrenal glands

TRYGON--200

TRYGON--200

Seems lacking in AT at range.....

Another amusing option to consider is spore mines. Saw them used to great effect in a dawn of war mission. 1 Tyrant & 2 Tervigons set up and the spore dropped in on the enemy's deployment. No place for him to deploy witihn 18" so he had to hold all off table.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Swift

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »
"I may be wrong having ownly read the entry once but I think the wings upgrade only makes the Tyrant "Move like Jump Infantry" if this is so can it deep strike as this is a none movement ability of jump infantry."

All jump infantry can deepstrike, in fifth edition, if the mission allows it.

Offline Outsider

• Ripper
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:52 AM »
what do i need ranged AT for??? i have enough CC monsters to tear vehicles to shreds.

the idea is target saturation. put enough monsters down at once and my opponent can't possibly kill that many of them. and any of them can tear a vehicle apart in CC

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 06:04:16 AM »
what do i need ranged AT for???

For stuff like my Mech / council list. I'd chew through this army fairly easily. Nice to have some shooting so you don't have to chase me all over the whole board. As to not being able to kill a bunch of them? I can do it very well in CC once I finally allow my opponent to "catch" me.

One thing I do like about the list though - is if you get lucky making gaunts each turn, you've got lots of scoring options. KP missions coud be dangerous though.....

Offline Outsider

• Ripper
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 02:28:46 AM »
i suppose so... but if i'm looking at a mech council list, the transport they are likely to be in would have those holofields, making shooting at it pointless... so, basicly, i would not want to play kill points against that. but if we were to play objectives... you would have to come to me at some point... and when you do, you would find it very difficult to dislodge me.

also, i believe i have enough MCs to cover the board enough ther there are very few places where you can go that would NOT be in charge range for me...

oh well, at least there is something that might give me a run for my money... DE mech would do this as well...
good. i have an achiles heel. its not invincible

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »
i suppose so... but if i'm looking at a mech council list, the transport they are likely to be in would have those holofields, making shooting at it pointless...

I wouldn't call stopping my shooting pointless. Also, only 1/2 of the tanks can even have holo fields (heavy choices).

you would have to come to me at some point... and when you do, you would find it very difficult to dislodge me.
also, i believe i have enough MCs to cover the board enough ther there are very few places where you can go that would NOT be in charge range for me...

You'd be surprised at how easy I can dislodge stuff like that when using the Wonder Twin Council.

Either way, not trying to dis you list. I like the cncept of the Gaunt farm in general. I'd almost take the plunge and do my own version but I see to much JOTWW around here to really consider it.

It would also be cool to add some spore mines in so you can screw people over in dawn of war depoyments....lol