News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [1500] Iyanden (4th) vs. Tau  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Sapphon

• Infinity Circuit
  • No quantity of firepower matches my arrogance
[1500] Iyanden (4th) vs. Tau
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:37:13 PM »
My forces:

Eldrad Ulthran (although not in name, of course)
The Avatar

6 Harlequins, 5 with Kisses, 1 being a Troupe Leader w/ power weapon

10 Wraithguard, Warlock, Conceal, Spiritseer upgrade
6 Jetbikes, 2 cannons

Wraithlord, Shuricannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithlord, Shuricannon, Scatter Laser
Falcon, Starcannon, Holofield, Spirit Stones

Tau forces:

Shas'el, Plasma, Fusion

2 Crisis Suits, Plasma, Fusion, 2 shield drones
2 Crisis Suits, 1 with plasma/missiles, one with TL missiles and BS4
1 Crisis Suit, config. forgotten

10 Fire Warriors in a devilfish
10 Fire Warriors in a devilfish
12 Kroot with a shaper
10 Kroot with a shaper
10 Kroot
10 Kroot

Railhead with the appropriate upgrades; SMS
Railhead with the appropriate upgrades; SMS

The mission is Take and Hold, the level is Gamma.

All indications of "left" or "right" are from the Eldar perspective.

Deployment:

In the Eldar DZ, two forests, one running parallel to the deployment line, to the right of center, and one running perpendicular, to the left of center.  Some other hills and things that don't matter.  The Eldar deployment is: Wraithlords in each of the forests 12" in, Falcon behind the right-central forest, Harlies inside, Jetbikes surrounding the Falcon, Eldrad and the Avatar accompanying the Wraithguard in the open space between the forests.

In the Tau DZ, three forests, two to the left of center and one to the right.  Two Kroot units in the central forests, one Railhead behind each central forest.  10 Fire Warriors against the board edge between central forests; their Devilfish is nearby.  Devilfish with FW's loaded behind exteme left forest.  Suits and HQ using right central forest for LOS blockage for the Tau shuffle.

After deployment, Eldrad allows repositioning of Jetbikes and rightmost Wraithlord to create a tight phalanx of Avatar, WG, Eldrad, and both Wraithlords, with the Jetbikes within 6" of Eldrad but behind the left Eldar forest at the start of the game.

Turn 1:

Fortune is cast on Jetbikes and the WG, whom Eldrad joins.  Bikes move 12" directly forwards and shoot foremost Kroot.  WL's both struggle with the terrain, but one brings its scatter laser to bear on the Kroot in front of it.  Wraithguard and Avatar advance, but do not have targets.  Eldrad uses Eldritch Storm on closest Kroot, but doesn't succeed in pinning them or forcing them to flee.  The Falcon moves from behind its cover and scores a lucky cross-table immobilization on the leftmost Railhead.

The Tau stay still except for shuffling.  The Kroot claim a Jetbike in shooting, whereas the Tau fail to harm the Wraithguard and the Falcon, their two primary targets.

Turn 2:

The Falcon advances and knocks a wound off of a Crisis suit that sticks his head up too far.  Psychic powers are exactly as before.  All units advance, the Jetbikes assuming a flanking position to the left of the left-central forest.  The Wraithlords again are slowed by poor terrain rolls, however, their shuriken cannon are in range this turn, and the Kroot die multitudinously.  The Tau forces in the right-central forest are still largely untouched at this point.

Tau shooting claims a Wraithguard this turn, and the Falcon is shaken or stunned thrice.  The Jetbikes, foolishly exposed to the immobilized Railhead, survive a submunition blast that engulfs all of them flawlessly.

Turn 3:

The Falcon boosts 24" to regain its original cover while the crew sort themselves out.  Eldrad now fortunes only the WG and uses Eldritch Storm on the Kroot on the right twice, to little effect.  The Avatar attempts his new meltagun shot on the operational Railhead, to no effect.  The WG target the remaining Kroot in the left-central forest; they are not ideal targets, but a few deaths are caused.  The Jetbikes retreat from the Railhead around the left side of the very far left forest, threatening (and threatened by) the loaded Devilfish which is behind it.

Tau shooting from this point forward will cause no casualties.  Fire was mostly concentrated on the Wraithguard, with a few suits firing at the Avatar.  The loaded Devilfish begins to move towards the center of the Tauward table edge.

Turn 4:

The Wraithguard advance further, now having passed the board's center point in an attempt to control the objective entirely.  The Avatar assaults the Kroot in the right-central forest (but just barely).  One squad of Kroot in the left-central forest is brought down to 1 model by one WL's shooting, and the other is severely reduced by the other's flamers.  The Falcon re-emerges and shakes the operational Railhead.

The loaded Devilfish dumps its cargo in front of the Wraithguard in classic FoF style, however, all the shots bounce off.  The Avatar massacres one Kroot squad and consolidates into the other.  The Tau suits score shaken results on the Falcon again, but use their assault moves to go forward instead of backward this time, trying to reach the center of the table.

Turn 5:

The Falcon disgorges its cargo, who move, FoF, and assault two Tau suits.  The WG destroy the newly empty Devilfish with something like 8 glancing hits, and the Tau behind it have their LOS ruined.  Eldrad throws two Eldritch Storms onto the rearmost Fire Warriors who've been firing from the table edge, and both fail to kill a single model.  The Avatar massacres the final Kroot squad on the right, and consolidates into the Tau HQ, who exposed himself trying to reach the objective.  The immobilized Railhead is wrecked by the Wraithlords on the left.  The Harlequins destroy 2 suits and 2 drones in assault, wiping the unit and proceeding to move into the solitary Suit.  At this point, the Tau player concedes.

Tau casualties:
All but 1 Devilfish and 2 squads of Fire Warriors (both above 50%)

Eldar casualties:
A Jetbike and a Wraithguard; also, Eldrad took a Perils wound somewhere in there

Your thoughts?   
"I personally don't use Guardians at all...there's something about 500 year old artists dying en masse I find distressing."

-Lascidel

Instead of tallying my wins and losses and posting them here, I instead took the total W/L/D's from all of the 40KO signatures in existence and put them here.  Enjoy!

W: 6296540262043640254 592655492524
D: 100
L: 4

Offline Dinendal

• Infinity Circuit
  • LARPing FTW
Re: [1500] Iyanden (4th) vs. Tau
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »
... one word, wow.

At first, I really thought you would be destroyed because of the better manoeuvrability of the Tau player... the only anti-tank you had was short range (against the front armour of the hammies)... but then I saw how good are wraithguard/avatar/wraithlords/Eldrad... wow...

GG saphon :)

Dinendal
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Offline Ænima

• Guardian
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:24:06 AM »
i like your army conpositiona dn it seems to have worked well for u..
congrats.. that seems like it was a well fought match...

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:46:02 AM »
Good report - the wraithguard look like a good choice now.

I am however confused by this comment:

"The Jetbikes, foolishly exposed to the immobilized Railhead, survive a submunition blast that engulfs all of them flawlessly."

Did they all die? Or did it cover them all, but they made saves or something?
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 10:59:31 AM »
I am however confused by this comment:

"The Jetbikes, foolishly exposed to the immobilized Railhead, survive a submunition blast that engulfs all of them flawlessly."

Did they all die? Or did it cover them all, but they made saves or something?

I kinda took it that since only one bike died, they all got hit, but only one went down..?

Nice batrep, thanks for writing it up. Your list is really cool and flavourfull. Ironically I would have guessed you would have the most trouble with... TAU. Apparently not. I'm still personally shocked you made it across the board with that many units intact against Tau shooting.... shocked really.

Sounds like you know how to play the list already. Eldrad almost seems like overkill, in a list with low numbers.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »
Tau shooting from this point forward will cause no casualties.

Wow, that's not something you here very often...

Good report.

Offline Angels Purgatus

• Neophyte
  • Fall beneath the feet of the Imperium.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »
Good report, but your list seems ridiculously top heavy - like monster nids.  I wouldnt play too many games against it without tooling for you.  The Tau player fielded a light, balanced army which was wholly incapable of retaliating.

Im quite scared of the new rules for Eldar.  My friend is placing a huge advanced order tomorrow.  Hopefully, my traits-chapter of marines can weather the shuriken storm that will soon engulf me.
Kaag VII Veterans (IG) 5th edition record:
  W/D/L - 5 / 4 / 5

"...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before the holy choir of thy guns. The honorless xenos will flee at the sight of thee. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy righteous sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes, Commander of the 183rd Kaagan Rifles

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 12:51:54 AM »
Excellent report, thanks for writing it up :)

Interesting army list, thats what I liked about it. Fast elements for catching table quarters (jetbikes, falcon) and a few VP denial units (Falcon, Wraithguard. Avatar and Wraithlords to an extent).
Wraithguard squad was quite literally unstoppable. Out of all the targets, it was practically the only option open to the Tau to try and kill. Only suggestion would be dropping the Avatar. You already have one special character and you could potentially get another jetbike squad for objectives. Nice game

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »
Good work, but I guessed you had this one from the start. The Tau player had just about nothing to throw at you, and he blew something like 300+ points on Kroot who, while they have their place, have no buisiness anchoring a line.

Good shot on the Railhead early on--saved yourself a hell of a lot of headaches there.

Offline kyle vp

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 02:14:57 PM »
Ion heads would have been a far better buy for the tau army listed,  even if they made no other changes.  The rail rilfle is super fun with subm.  but its not very good against an iyanden force, which you did a good job of constructing with what you fielded. 

I'm surprised there were not more casualties to the wraith guard from the crisis suits he fielded.  Did he just get very unlucky with the shots, or did he simply not throw them against you?  Or did he decide to try to get them to your wraithLord instead? In your battle report you say that the crisis suits were killed, but I only see tell where 1 wound is taken from them, and then they are not mentioned for the rest of the report.  Its important, because those are the only models he had on the table capable of taking out a squad of fortuned wraith guard. (other than the rail head, which he seems to have elected to use for submunitions instead)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:16:26 PM by kyle vp »

Offline Sapphon

• Infinity Circuit
  • No quantity of firepower matches my arrogance
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:45:07 PM »
Ion heads would have been a far better buy for the tau army listed,  even if they made no other changes.  The rail rilfle is super fun with subm.  but its not very good against an iyanden force, which you did a good job of constructing with what you fielded. 

I'm surprised there were not more casualties to the wraith guard from the crisis suits he fielded.  Did he just get very unlucky with the shots, or did he simply not throw them against you?  Or did he decide to try to get them to your wraithLord instead? In your battle report you say that the crisis suits were killed, but I only see tell where 1 wound is taken from them, and then they are not mentioned for the rest of the report.  Its important, because those are the only models he had on the table capable of taking out a squad of fortuned wraith guard. (other than the rail head, which he seems to have elected to use for submunitions instead)

-He was pretty unlucky with the Suit shots, and also S6 plasma had a hard time with T6 followed by a fortuned Conceal save.  They shot the Falcon a lot too, thanks to most having fusion guns.
-The immo. Railhead I didn't give many targets (it routinely poured its SMS into a Wraithlord, though), whereas the other one used its main firing mode on the Falcon most of the game.  I think it did fire a solid slug at the WG once, but missed.
-As for the suits, in the batrep, the Harlies kill 2 and consol. into 1, and the Avatar is in combat with the Shas'El.  That leaves 2 suits on the board, which the Tau player conceded could not have possibly escaped my assault troops had the game gone on, and so we counted them casualties.
"I personally don't use Guardians at all...there's something about 500 year old artists dying en masse I find distressing."

-Lascidel

Instead of tallying my wins and losses and posting them here, I instead took the total W/L/D's from all of the 40KO signatures in existence and put them here.  Enjoy!

W: 6296540262043640254 592655492524
D: 100
L: 4

Offline GordoBlue

• Whoa~!
    • GB
« Reply #11 on: November 8, 2006, 09:13:30 PM »
great bat-rep!
you use your units well.  I've always found Iyanden to be tough.
!!!

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2006, 02:07:29 AM »
I've always like Wraithguard, (conceal-fortune combo) and now that they are higher Strength, I htink that they are even better.... Nice job on your army list, I don't think its top  heavy, in fact I can ;isture it doing well against most armies.... although a very fast, mass shooting army would give you some problems (so many shots that your Wraithguard, Wraithlords, and Falcon go down)...

Very good BatRep (pictures/diagrams would be cool) overall, and congratulations on the victory.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Wraithlord Saunders

• "Thinks he's got the whole world at his feet."
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »
Swap Eldrad with Yriel  ;D
The Infinity Circuit does not keep me from my duties.  My brethren...

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 11:55:18 AM »
Tau shooting from this point forward will cause no casualties.

Wow, that's not something you here very often...

Indeed.  I knew the result as soon as I read that  ;D
\

Offline CRKrueger

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »
Now I'm not trying to flame, I'm asking this question seriously.

My forces:

Eldrad Ulthran (although not in name, of course)

Isn't that a little cheesy?  I mean I know that there is no practical difference anymore between Iyanden and Ulthwe as far as lists go, but if people started taking Lysander (not in name, of course) as the head of Deathwing Terminator armies I think people might get a little upset.

I realize Eldrad is all that and a bag of chips (not to mention the dip and a supermodel to feed it to you) but it would be a shame to see him simply become the default Farseer HQ choice painted in a thousand different craftworld variations and renamed.

I realize you can take Logan Grimnir as the head of a Tyranid army with Necron allies if your opponent allows it, but most people I've seen keep the special characters within the force they're supposed to go with for fluff reasons.

Maybe the new Eldar codex doesn't say "Eldrad may be chosen as the head of a Ulthwe army" but did they really need to say that?

Offline Dinendal

• Infinity Circuit
  • LARPing FTW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »

Maybe the new Eldar codex doesn't say "Eldrad may be chosen as the head of a Ulthwe army" but did they really need to say that?

lol... that's not cheesy at all...

We have 1, yes ONE list... nothing else, no variant, no craftworld list, no trait system, no alternatives,nothing zero, nada... there is no distinction between craftworlds... NOT ANYMORE... we can take everything... and if you don't like that, then I'll say that my Biel-Tan colour scheme is actually Ultwee with a green pattern... or maybe that Eldrad was on vacation and he decided to help out some of his brothers...

Anyway, if YOU want us to have diversity and give us 1 list and 2 special characters from a craftworld, then you are asking for too much because we won't do this for fluff reason but for the game balance... Eldrad and Yriel cost 2 times the originial model so it is normal for them to be better... if you don't like this then go away :)

Dinendal

PS if you tell me I should stick to Biel-Tan for fluff reason then I would do the following:
-Strip the paint
-Paint yellow and blue (Iyanden) or white and black (Ultwee)
 Why? If we want to play to be competitive there is no reason to plat Alaitoc, Biel-Tan and Saim-Han because they get 0 special characters...

If GW did want us to use special characters in specified lists then they would have done like in the Smurfs codex and/or will someday do Craftworld Eldar codex version 2

"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Offline CRKrueger

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 04:14:19 AM »

If we want to play to be competitive there is no reason to plat Alaitoc, Biel-Tan and Saim-Han because they get 0 special characters...

There's the answer, thanks.  :D

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 12:52:13 PM »

Why? If we want to play to be competitive there is no reason to plat Alaitoc, Biel-Tan and Saim-Han because they get 0 special characters...

I resent this statement as I will continue to play in the Saim-Hann style and I'll guarentee that my lists are even more competative than ever. So far I've tried a variety of lists with the bases of Jetbike Farseers, Jetbikes +Jetbike Warlocks for Troops, Vypers and Swoops for Fast Attack, 1 Elite (Fire Dragons maybe in a Wave Serpent or Falcon) and 1 Heavy Support (Falcon or Fireprism). I've had a number of games at 1500pts, and even though I don't think I'm any better of a player than others, I've beaten every SMurf player I've faced and even the Mighty Tau were not much of a problem. I'm looking forward to more games to test my theories out; but, so far I've found that everything in the New Codex Eldar is viable (as it was before only better in most cases). As for the Special Characters,.... They cost a crap load, so they better be good at what they do. I personally will stick to the cheaper more reackless and fast HQ choices. Its in my nature, Its part of the "Fluff" and style of my army.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 02:42:51 AM »
Excellent report. I saw the lists and thought, "wow... this eldar guy must have gotten trounced."

I felt sure the overwhelming fire would cripple you before you could really effect the amount of shots he was taking. I figured that the WG would go first... and that the WL would go next. I figured the Falcon would have been taken out, leaving the Harlies to foot slog and eventually die under some disgusting amount of fire.

Obviously I was dead wrong.

I figure I should look into some WG... though a squad of 10 not only costs a lot of points, but moolah ($10 a model) too.

I think the Tau guy made a mistake making Kroot his frontline troop choice though...

One thing I DO disagree with (as someone else pointed out already). It simply isn't nesacary to take the Avatar AND Yreil. It's not only cheezy to me... but just unnessaccary too. Spend the Avatars points on a jetbike squad. It adds a whole new power to your flanking unit. Plus, you can make people run away after taking losses from WGs and WLs while your Jetbikes are waiting to cross fire them to death. It works well. Took out 2 tac squads doing this.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 02:46:47 AM by Abraxas »
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar