News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How should I start a harlequin army?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline AceKng1

• Innocence proves nothing
How should I start a harlequin army?
« on: April 27, 2003, 06:58:47 PM »
I have read the codex.  I have competed my CE army and am wanting to start harlequins.  I don't have much money though.  I have extra guardians which i could possibly convert into troupes.  
What guys should I get first?
What should I convert?
What should I buy off GW archives?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 06:59:08 PM by acekng1 »
Grandmaster of the Caerleon Crusades Grey Knight Company who in times of need are supported by the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company.<br /><br />"We may be outnumbered and out gunned,<br />But our weapons are ready, our grav-chutes are charged, and we have the element of surprise."<br />-Slogan of the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company<br /><br />Farseer of the Naran-ju Craftworld<br /><br />"Fear us, for we are the Eldar.  We bring your doom."<br />-Warchant of the Naran-ju Craftworld Eldar

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re:How should I start a harlequin army?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 12:47:30 AM »
That is tricky.
Start by making a Harlequin unit you can use with your CEWs. A Harlequin Troupe for instance.
Just plan it out on paper first; numbers, weapons, and wargear. Then look over what you have and start converting. Maybe get a Harlequin model or two ff eBay or archives as a Troupe Leader. Try it out, and if you think it is working out add another unit in the same way, then a character, and so on.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Orion God

• You cant hide the truth.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 03:08:58 AM »
Making a Harlequin army is very cheap.

I think if you would convert most of your models and buiy the rest you could have a 1000pts army just by about 30-50€.

Well get 20 Troupers that is a good base for an army :)
(Or if you are planning to get a Venom for transport then get at least 12 of them :) )

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 03:14:27 PM »
Buy 12 Harlequin troupers, 6 mimes (more Harlequin troupers) so basically that would be 20 archives models.

Buy or convert a Shadowseer (most often to be your HQ.)

Buy or convert a Solitaire

Buy 3 or 4 Death Jesters (you could also use Dark Reapers for these.)

The Venom you'd have to convert anyways.

Together that would be round $80,-

Offline Mrs Steriotyped Guy

• Yo ho, Yo ho, Ect.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 03:28:27 PM »
I find Dark eldar warriors without spikes  and with new heads work well.

first, cut off any spikes. roll a ball of green stuff into a head shape and use as new head. Cut splinter rifle down to pistol. Glue a spike to the forearm of a model for a CCW. paint weird. looks okay.

Although I havent quite got a very good "mask of fear" effect, It looks pretty weird, just a blank face.
Pirate horde WILL Beat you all.

Offline Kai-Thelon

• "Light of the new Dawn"
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 03:33:10 PM »
The best is to make a complete army list of what you want to include, then work toward filling it.  That way you don't waste money buying things you don't need or too many for army points.  Start at 1000 pts, and add from there.
There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2003, 02:12:37 AM »
Sound advice. Make a list, say 1000 points, and make it versatile enough to be playable, then start collecting the models for it.
When I started collecting Eldars (way back) I had no plan at all, and was stuck after a few years with lots of firepower and no bodies. This was at 3k. It took me another 2k of planning to get the balance right. If I had planned my purchases and painting I could have saved myself a lot of grief. I have done so with all my armies since. I even counted up to 3000 points before I ever bought a single Dark Elf...

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Angelus

• Jordan Nikolas; 07/29/03 @ 5:33am; 7Lb 11oz & 21"
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2003, 08:04:43 PM »
Sound advice indeed.  I'd say aim for 2 full squads of Harley troupes (20 models), 6 Mimes, And probably a Shadowseer model.  My personal advice is to convert anything and everything you can, however when you look towards Death Jesters, I would say get the archived models, OR spend extra cash and get the Dark Reaper Exarch models and/or Phoenix Lord Harvester of Souls models.  I still say that the actual 2nd ed DJ models are better.

Guardians could be convincingly converted to Harley troupers.. I'd say maybe Dark Eldar warriors for Mimes.  Dark Reapers or 2nd ed models for Death Jesters.  I have a personal conversion idea in mind for the Wraithlord, so I'll not give you ideas on that... hehehe.  Venoms are great.  I'd say have 1 in your 1000, and add another one by the time you reach 2500pts.  Jetbikes are convincing no matter which (E/CWE/DE) bikes you use, providing the right paintjobs.  Solitaire, I'd advise a nice converson on the Callidus assassin, or maybe some creativity with a plastic beastman (after all.. a solitaire is suppose to play the part of Slaanesh in The Dance)....  Shadowseer and the Great Harley is more or less personal choice on what you'd like it to look like.. I think that's the flavor to the Harlequin army... convert to what you think things should resemble.... just given a few guidelines on things.  It's probably why the dedication to a Harlequin army is recommended for the experienced player.

*Note*  I do not discourage a n0000bie from starting with Harleys... just remember it will take alot of patience to create such a beautiful convincing army.
Predator Space Marines
Wins: 35  Draw: 6  Loss: 2

1st Insane Regiment, 1st insane Company, 2nd platoon, 2nd squad
For the Angels of Exquisit

Offline AceKng1

• Innocence proves nothing
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2003, 10:17:40 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I am going to start my army soon.  I will probably get a solitaire and several Djs off archhives.  Then I will try converting my mimes and troupes and a spiritseer.

Oh and Angelus-
For 1 I am NOT starting with harleys.  I already have a very large CWE army in which I did convert some of the models.  
Grandmaster of the Caerleon Crusades Grey Knight Company who in times of need are supported by the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company.<br /><br />"We may be outnumbered and out gunned,<br />But our weapons are ready, our grav-chutes are charged, and we have the element of surprise."<br />-Slogan of the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company<br /><br />Farseer of the Naran-ju Craftworld<br /><br />"Fear us, for we are the Eldar.  We bring your doom."<br />-Warchant of the Naran-ju Craftworld Eldar

Offline €rystal

• It goes with my music!
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2003, 01:33:56 AM »
If you bitz box is large you should have no problabes with the gardians just a head swap and a differt pose, with painting the mimes paint the holosuit a darker shade to the other harlequins suits that would represent there role in the dances as they represent the deamons. Also to make it cheap welcome to the world of GSC(green stuff casting) Make a mask out of greenstuff and then cast it if you dont know how PM me. The only reason i say this is because if i posted ppl use it to cast models from GW and I get in trouble, been there done that.lol. just PM i'll tell you how!
Huh?

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 5, 2003, 04:48:11 AM »
Shadowseer is quite easy to convert if you use the WHFB dark elf (I believe it is Morathi) sorceress on foot model.

After I did my own conversion for her I discovered that The Mighty Brian had done exactly the same conversion for his shadowseer.

Offline Harlequin Archon

• Life is for the weak.
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 07:14:20 PM »
just sub in modles in friendly game see what you nee what you want and whats good for you and then start buying NEVER just start buyine on your 2nd+ army this way you waste no money
Death is amoung us wheather we choose to be it or create it.

Please help save the Harlequins
http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?board=44;action=display;threadid=37517

So we'll fight against the wind for the glory of the kings
                  to defeat our evil enemies
And we'll ride with our lord for the power and the throne
              in the name of holy thunderforce

Offline Mister_X

• Nobody here but us llamas
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 07:40:52 PM »
I find Dark eldar warriors without spikes  and with new heads work well.

What's a good source for heads?  The WFB elf archer sprue's got some good ones but they're all the same.  the other High Elf sprues have big pointy hats I don't like, and the Dark Elf sprue's heads seem a little too spiny and evil (though they might work with Dark Eldar bodies, or for mimes).  I've been chopping down DE warrior helmets but I don't really like them (makes a great Rictus mask, though).  Is there any option I've missed?

X

Offline Harlequin Archon

• Life is for the weak.
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2003, 07:46:22 PM »
well im making my whole army converts and all of them changed from DE to Harlequin when Archoth (my lord) switched sides

http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?board=44;action=display;threadid=37517

Offline Little Black Riding Hood

• Wrath of the Tyrant...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 04:13:58 PM »
get the following from g.w.

shadowseer: £4 (dunno how much it is in the US)

3 death jesters: £12

8 harlies with shuriken pistols and cc weapons: £16
2 harlies with power weapons and shuriken pistols: £4
2 with harlequins kisses and shuriken pistols: £4

vyper (for venom conversion): £12
dark eldar raider sprue (venom) £5

thats pretty much all you need to start, then practice until you know what to add
"The elder among the men looked deep into The fire and spoke loud with pride, tomorrow is a fine day to die" - Bathory
"Forever wilt I bleed for Thee. Forever wilt I praise Thy dreaded name. Forever wilt I serve Thee. Thou shalt forever prevail. Inno a Satana." - Emperor
"Symbolical and sheeting in an eclectic manner, institutional monotheism holds the banner, martial and creed, you think they will provide anything you need?" - Zyklon

Offline Harlequin Archon

• Life is for the weak.
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2003, 04:26:43 PM »
US prices

Shadowseer 7.50

3 death jesters 22.50

8 normal harlies 40
2 power weopons 10
2 kiss 10

vyper 25

that comes to $115 in US so i think it would be cheaper to get 20 DE off ebay a vyper off ebay 3 death jesters and the shadowseer from GW

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 10:35:29 AM »
Yes, but the Harlequin moels just look better.

I have a completely full force organisation chart of Harlequins an do not think I have spent more then $320,- on it.

PS: Harlequin moels look  even better when you chop of some arms and replace them with the old Eldar plastic sprue HtH weapons.

Offline Harlequin Archon

• Life is for the weak.
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #17 on: June 2, 2003, 08:49:54 PM »
did you get all the peices off ebay or from GW? and 320 what contry