News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Prepping for a 1000 point tournament  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
Prepping for a 1000 point tournament
« on: February 8, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
Okay. So. Backstory. If you aren't interested, skip down past the dotted line and check out the lists and post your ideas. (You'll be confused).

So my girlfriend has started to play warhammer. Gods, I love you. Anyway, she hasn't played many games, but is learning and is very interested. So we're gonna do her first tournament, and it's gonna be a doubles tournament. She's playing nids, I'm of course a die hard prophet of the greater good. Each person gets 1000 points, here are both armies. My Tau list up for review, but the tyranid list I -think- she'll be running along with an explanation of various abilities (for the uninitiated) will be there as well, so be happy to comment on both.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tau 1000:

Shas'el
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Targetting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-tracker

3 Shas'ui
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker

8 Shas'la Firewarriors
Devilfish, Disruption Pod

7 Shas'la Firewarriors
Shas'ui
Pulse Rifles

7 Shas'la Firewarriors
Shas'ui
Pulse Rifles

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod, Target Lock, Multi Tracker

Hammerhead

Broadside
Targetting Array
80 (90?)

Tyranid 1000:

Hive Tyrant
Bonesword & Lash Whip, Scything Talons
Paroxysm, Leech Essence

This is a big scary MC. Boneswords cause ID on a failed leadership test, Lash whip makes everything in b2b I1. Scything talons = reroll 1's. Paroxysm and leech essence are psychic powers. First one gives WS1 and BS1, while the other is S3 AP2 D3 shots at 12".

Tyranid Prime
Lash Whip & Bonesword, Devourer
Adrenal Glands

He's like the SM captain or chapter master. He's strong, S5 T5, the gun is Assault 3 S4 AP -, and the weapons work the same as above. with 4 attacks base and furious charge, he should be whacking anything he touches.

2 Zoanthropes

Psychic beasties. 2 wounds and a nice storm shield invuln, as  well as two really nice attacks requiring a psychic test. First one is a pulse rifle strength no saves for marines small blast at 24", and the other is a railgun with lance at 18".

8 Warriors
Scything Talons, Devourers

Mid level beasties. T4 but W3, nothing much to say. They're hard to kill, powerful, and just so much fun.

8 Genestealers

Genestealers are the exact same as last codex. A WS and Initiative that's just about unbeat (6), rending, 3 attacks on the charge, they're just oodles of fun. Only worry is the 5+ save.

Trygon Prime

The shock factor of our list. He gets 12 pulse rifle shots when he shows up, and a disgusting 7 attacks on the charge rerolling hits, he'll eat an tactical squad before your next turn! Deep striking and T6, he should survive decently, as by the time he comes in I should have shot just about everything that can kill him.

Opinions more than welcome!
« Last Edit: February 8, 2010, 08:20:43 PM by Locke »
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline Gentleman Fate

• SirBruce
  • There are no heroes left in man
    • Shoot-Tau-Thrill
Re: Prepping for a 1000 point tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
Girl has a decent list.
You are correct on Broadsides being 70 base. I suggest dropping him, the target locks, and dropping one Railhead to an Ionhead. Then you can afford another Ionhead. While Railguns are great, in 1000 points spamming s7 is far better. The Trygon, Tyrant, and 'stealers can hurt vehicles too.
Do the Shas'la/ui have Carbines or Rifles? I assume the latter, but I've been seeing foot squads with Carbines, and you can march them behind your tanks and take potshots underneath.
"If you were smart you would have rolled a six."
- Spencer Young, God amongst men.

"ok, my boys are disembarking now, and since i have no shooting, theyr gonna run then assault" me-"Umm... you went flat out, AND you aren't Fleet" him-"But this is a trukk and these are boyz. they can do it because they believe they can do it" me-"...Right." -Kabal

It's cool to shoot 2 plasma cannons.....INTO YOUR PLAGUEMARINES.

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
Edited for clarity. I don't happen to own a 3rd hammerhead, or yes I would take your suggestion. Railguns are really supposed to for shock value. This list is supposed to be a bit scary, and very different from the normal things you see.

There are two very scary MC's, a lot of very tough heavy infantry, and then some very very powerful anti-tank all wrapped up in some light infantry covering fire. Basic idea is that the infantry and broadside are going to form a firing base around the central objective on our side, while the hammerheads and devilfish will move forward in a standard V, with the Devilfish on the side that isn't being covered in anti-tank weapons. Crisis moving inside that bubble in the middle of the V. Warriors will flank along the side, while the tyrant moves right up the center. Genestealers  infiltrate and go after primary targets while the trygon disrupts everything it can.

I'm expecting bad vehicles in this, land raiders, monoliths, tons of valks, ect. Also expecting oblits and nurgle spam, ect ect. Gamers are super competitive around here. On that one we have 5 S10 AP1 weapons 2 with lance but closer range, designed to punch big holes in all the vehicles, while the S7 spam of the 4 crisis target more transports and the warriors and genestealers target nurgle marines, ect,
Locke's Record (2010):

Offline Gentleman Fate

• SirBruce
  • There are no heroes left in man
    • Shoot-Tau-Thrill
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »
Seems sound enough.
"If you were smart you would have rolled a six."
- Spencer Young, God amongst men.

"ok, my boys are disembarking now, and since i have no shooting, theyr gonna run then assault" me-"Umm... you went flat out, AND you aren't Fleet" him-"But this is a trukk and these are boyz. they can do it because they believe they can do it" me-"...Right." -Kabal

It's cool to shoot 2 plasma cannons.....INTO YOUR PLAGUEMARINES.

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
Okay. So. Backstory. If you aren't interested, skip down past the dotted line and check out the lists and post your ideas. (You'll be confused).

So my girlfriend has started to play warhammer. Gods, I love you. Anyway, she hasn't played many games, but is learning and is very interested. So we're gonna do her first tournament, and it's gonna be a doubles tournament. She's playing nids, I'm of course a die hard prophet of the greater good. Each person gets 1000 points, here are both armies. My Tau list up for review, but the tyranid list I -think- she'll be running along with an explanation of various abilities (for the uninitiated) will be there as well, so be happy to comment on both.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tau 1000:

Shas'el
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Targetting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-tracker

3 Shas'ui
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker
I don't often see Missile/Burst, but I'm interested in seeing how it rolls.

8 Shas'la Firewarriors
Devilfish, Disruption Pod

7 Shas'la Firewarriors
Shas'ui
Pulse Rifles

7 Shas'la Firewarriors
Shas'ui
Pulse Rifles
Bigger squads, more devilfish.  if those squads are static I'd try tomget them up to 12 models, personally.

Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Broadside
Targetting Array
80 (90?)
  Personaly I'd drop the broad for more stuff, with two railguns, 2 warp lances, 2 MCs, lots of missile pods adn Rending stealers, I'd sa you have more than enough anti-tank for 2000 points.

And now, Token advice for Nids!

Tyranid 1000:

Hive Tyrant
Bonesword & Lash Whip, Scything Talons
Paroxysm, Leech Essence
This is a big scary MC. Boneswords cause ID on a failed leadership test, Lash whip makes everything in b2b I1. Scything talons = reroll 1's. Paroxysm and leech essence are psychic powers. First one gives WS1 and BS1, while the other is S3 AP2 D3 shots at 12".

I'd actually maybe take a second sec of Scything talons instead of the whip and sword unless you expect to see a ot of multiwound models.

Tyranid Prime
Lash Whip & Bonesword, Devourer
Adrenal Glands

He's like the SM captain or chapter master. He's strong, S5 T5, the gun is Assault 3 S4 AP -, and the weapons work the same as above. with 4 attacks base and furious charge, he should be whacking anything he touches.
  Multitasking here, honestly I'd focus on close combat and get them into ripping range as fast as possible.  In other words, I'd probably replace the  Devourer with Rending claws or another set of Scytals.

2 Zoanthropes

Psychic beasties. 2 wounds and a nice storm shield invuln, as  well as two really nice attacks requiring a psychic test. First one is a pulse rifle strength no saves for marines small blast at 24", and the other is a railgun with lance at 18".
Nopthing wrong here at all.

8 Warriors
Scything Talons, Devourers

Mid level beasties. T4 but W3, nothing much to say. They're hard to kill, powerful, and just so much fun.
  Same advice as the prime, Rending claws or more talons.  Also 8 is an uncomfortable number, as they come in boxes of three.  Forgot prime, who I hope will be suitable awesomed up.  Also, get them Adrenal glands, for furious charge goodness.

8 Genestealers

Genestealers are the exact same as last codex. A WS and Initiative that's just about unbeat (6), rending, 3 attacks on the charge, they're just oodles of fun. Only worry is the 5+ save.
  My advice, more models, give them Scything Talons and Adrenal glands. Furious charge is love, (S5 rending? OMNOMNOM) Scything talons for rerolls, and well.  More models offsets the weak save.

Trygon Prime

The shock factor of our list. He gets 12 pulse rifle shots when he shows up, and a disgusting 7 attacks on the charge rerolling hits, he'll eat an tactical squad before your next turn! Deep striking and T6, he should survive decently, as by the time he comes in I should have shot just about everything that can kill him.

Opinions more than welcome!

Hesitant about then Trygon.  Your girl has 40% of her points in two models, which are currently vulnerable to things like force weapons, other nids with implant attacks/Boneswords.  Keep in mind that they're also scary mofos adn will attrack lascannons, meltaguns, plasma, that jazz.  Honestly, I'd drop the trygon or the tyrant.  personally I'd drop the trygon and spend the points on more stealers.  Also With the short range on the zoans, I'd maybe suggest getting them a spore.  Alternatively, I'd invest in some gaunts of some kind tom screen the warriors/ Tyrant.

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
I don't often see Missile/Burst, but I'm interested in seeing how it rolls.

Me too. They started out being Plasma Burst, but I just couldn't invest 80 points in Plasma weapons in 1000 points, especially without markerlight support.

Bigger squads, more devilfish.  if those squads are static I'd try tomget them up to 12 models, personally.

Personaly I'd drop the broad for more stuff, with two railguns, 2 warp lances, 2 MCs, lots of missile pods adn Rending stealers, I'd sa you have more than enough anti-tank for 2000 points.

I would too. But I don't see the points, unless I drop the broadside. Honestly, yeah we have a lot of anti-tank, but I don't see infantry being a real problem either. At least not one 8 firewarriors will heal. The tyranids all have decent dakka, and can deal with things very well in CC. I feel like vehicles will still be more of the issue. And the zoanthropes and hammerheads can both switch to anti-infantry if needed, so really I don't feel like 1 broadside is too much dedicated AT.

I dunno. I'm considering it. I just don't feel like 8 more S5 a turn is worth as much as a railgun for those early transports.

I'd actually maybe take a second sec of Scything talons instead of the whip and sword unless you expect to see a ot of multiwound models.

I probably would too. I think she likes it modelled with the lash & sword, I'm not sure.

Multitasking here, honestly I'd focus on close combat and get them into ripping range as fast as possible.  In other words, I'd probably replace the  Devourer with Rending claws or another set of Scytals.

Same advice as the prime, Rending claws or more talons.  Also, get them Adrenal glands, for furious charge goodness

I would probably run it that way as well. I think since she's new to the game she thinks it's silly to not shoot and assault, and I'd rather her play the way she wants than just being my puppet (As you see so many times with these games.)

My advice, more models, give them Scything Talons and Adrenal glands. Furious charge is love, (S5 rending? OMNOMNOM) Scything talons for rerolls, and well.  More models offsets the weak save.

This is more of a models issue as she doesn't own any more stealers, or I'm sure she would want to run more.

Hesitant about then Trygon.  Your girl has 40% of her points in two models, which are currently vulnerable to things like force weapons, other nids with implant attacks/Boneswords.  Keep in mind that they're also scary mofos adn will attrack lascannons, meltaguns, plasma, that jazz.  Honestly, I'd drop the trygon or the tyrant.  personally I'd drop the trygon and spend the points on more stealers.  Also With the short range on the zoans, I'd maybe suggest getting them a spore.  Alternatively, I'd invest in some gaunts of some kind tom screen the warriors/ Tyrant.

Once again, this is more a models issue. She owns:

A Hive Tyrant
A Trygon
8 Stealers
12 Termagants
12 Hormagaunts
9 Warriors
2 Zoanthropes

The battleforce + tyrant 2 extra warriors, 2 zoey's, and a trygon.

It wont be the most competitive, but it'll be fun. I figured we'd try our best with what we've got, so I still wanted it to be reviewed. I agree with a lot of the advice saytael, but we'll see =).

As for a mycetic spore, how would you do that in a tourney that requires wysiwyg? there's no model for it.
Locke's Record (2010):

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »
It might be better to get the Tervigon instead of a Trygon Prime. Spamming Termagant is a very cute ability, but really, the support psyker abilities are rather helpful. Give it Onslaught (Shoot then Run. It's almost as though your Firewarriors are slow and purposeful), or casting Catalyst to make Warriors more survivable in melee.  You already have the pieplates; what are some extra S5 shots going to do? If you're feeling dickish enough, take some Pathfinders, and let the Genestealers or Warriors take a transport. (No rules saying they can't...)

As for the Genestealers? Toxin Sacs man. If she's going to be using rending, why not reroll to wound?

Also, convert the mycetic spore from whatever. I'd probably use a dried lemon/plastic flowerbulb, with fuzzy-felt tentacles, spraypaint, etc. If your tournament doesn't allow non-gw models, even for units that GW hasn't released models for, then play somewhere else. :P

PS: Is she interested in giving the Doom of Malant'ai a spin? Hehehehehehehehehe. ..
« Last Edit: February 8, 2010, 10:52:10 PM by MagicJuggler »

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2010, 05:24:45 AM »

I would too. But I don't see the points, unless I drop the broadside. Honestly, yeah we have a lot of anti-tank, but I don't see infantry being a real problem either. At least not one 8 firewarriors will heal. The tyranids all have decent dakka, and can deal with things very well in CC. I feel like vehicles will still be more of the issue. And the zoanthropes and hammerheads can both switch to anti-infantry if needed, so really I don't feel like 1 broadside is too much dedicated AT.

I dunno. I'm considering it. I just don't feel like 8 more S5 a turn is worth as much as a railgun for those early transports.
  Every shot counts.

I probably would too. I think she likes it modelled with the lash & sword, I'm not sure.
Admittedly, lash and sword is pretty cool looking.  I'd maybe suggest her you Teacher her The Most Sacred And Tauish art of pinning weapon systems Offensive biomorphs.

Same advice as the prime, Rending claws or more talons.  Also, get them Adrenal glands, for furious charge goodness

I would probably run it that way as well. I think since she's new to the game she thinks it's silly to not shoot and assault, and I'd rather her play the way she wants than just being my puppet (As you see so many times with these games.)
Fair enough, However I'd point out the discrepancy between their WS and BS, and make sure tshe understands they can run.  Maybe after the first few games.

This is more of a models issue as she doesn't own any more stealers, or I'm sure she would want to run more.
okay, fair enough, but I do suggest the talons and either glands or sacs.

Once again, this is more a models issue. She owns:

A Hive Tyrant
A Trygon
8 Stealers
12 Termagants
12 Hormagaunts
9 Warriors
2 Zoanthropes

The battleforce + tyrant 2 extra warriors, 2 zoey's, and a trygon.

It wont be the most competitive, but it'll be fun. I figured we'd try our best with what we've got, so I still wanted it to be reviewed. I agree with a lot of the advice Saytael, but we'll see =).

As for a mycetic spore, how would you do that in a tourney that requires wysiwyg? there's no model for it.
[/quote]Fair enough.  Same way people did drop pods, back when there were no models for for them.  Bottles, cans, etc, whatever.  There's no official model, adn no conversion guide in WD, to my knowledge.  But yeah, fair enough  I still suggest the gaunts instead of the trygon.  Also, consider showing her the nid forum, see if she can pick up a trick or two.