News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: If GW is posting rules...  (Read 1870 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
If GW is posting rules...
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »
So, quick forum related question...

If in 8th ed, GW is giving their rules out for free - stats and all, will that see a shift in the forum's practice of not being able to post stats?

I have understood it when one had to pay for the rule books, but it would be nice to have a discussion without all the roundabout, "at double the cost of a space marine.." shenanigans...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: If GW is posting rules...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
G'day again Fay-ith-er-run! From what I've been told. We can download the rules for free, but, they will also be selling the book of rules via the hobby shops. I think this maybe a loophole to your question.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
If in 8th ed, GW is giving their rules out for free - stats and all, will that see a shift in the forum's practice of not being able to post stats?

No, because the rules will still be copyrighted to Games Workshop.  GW is allowed to post any rules or stats online that it wishes because it holds the copyright for them, whereas 40K Online does not.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:22:51 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
Additionally, we tell people all the time that, when discussing the rules, they should operate under the assumption that everyone is aware of the rule they are referring to.  Now, with the rules being free, that assumption should be totally accurate as there is no excuse now for not being aware of the rule; provided it isn't something that comes in a book that must be purchased.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:20:42 AM »
My information comes from a bloke who's in the industry and lives half an hour from Warhammer World. "We can download the rules for free, but, they will also be selling the book of rules via the hobby shops". 

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »
I'm guessing that the new 'good practice' will be:
If you want to reference a rule, put a link in your post to the free pdf on the Games Workshop / Forge World / Warhammer Digital (delete as appropriate) website.

I'm a mixture of 'keen' and 'uh-oh' but free rules is what I've wanted for years (though I have just bought multiple codexes [sic - blame GW] as I know I won't need to buy them again :P )
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
So, quick forum related question...

I have understood it when one had to pay for the rule books, but it would be nice to have a discussion without all the roundabout, "at double the cost of a space marine.." shenanigans...

Completely agree.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 10:32:17 PM »
We've been through this recently. The same answer stands.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 08:51:45 AM »
I'm guessing that the new 'good practice' will be:
If you want to reference a rule, put a link in your post to the free pdf on the Games Workshop / Forge World / Warhammer Digital (delete as appropriate) website.

Yes, exactly.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...