News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GC 1K Saim Hann vs lots of Orks  (Read 1636 times)

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
GC 1K Saim Hann vs lots of Orks
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »
This was the first game of the campaign at my Local Game Store.

Farseer Nayr was sent out with a scouting force to asses the planet and recover a few artifacts.  His force was flying over an old battlefield at dawn when it spotted an small ork army closing in on 5 artifacts.  Farseer Nayr gave the orders as they closed in upon their long hated foe.

Saim-Hann Army
Farseer Nayr; jetbike, runes of warding and fortune
Warlocks - 5; jetbikes, 1 embolden, 1 enhance and 1 with destructor
Jetbikes - 7; 2 cannons, warlock with embolden
Jetbikes - 5; 1 cannon, warlock with embolden
Vyper Jetbikes - 2; Eldar Missile Launcher and shuriken cannon
Fire Prism

Ork army
Warlord Gorgutz: MegaArmor, Cybork Body
Lootas - 5, 1 mek
Tank Bustas - 5
29 boyz 1 Nob, 3 Big Shoota
29 Boyz 1 Nob, 2 Big Shoota
13 Boyz 1 Nob, 1 Big Shoota, 5 boyz have Stikkbombs  81
Trukk, Reinforced Ram, Red Paint job
Warbuggy; RedPaintjob, twin linked big shoota
Grotz Mob; 1 Slaver, 19 Grotz

Setup
We were the last game to set up and our pickings were very slim for terrain.  We used every piece that was in the terrain boxes, which consited of craters and barricades.  The first mission of the campaign was Dawn of War with 5 objectives.  I won the roll off and made my opponent deploy first.  The orks started with two boyz squads and Warboss Gorgutz.  I decided to deploy nothing and bring in my full force on turn 1.

Ork Turn 1
From left to right; the trukk rolled onto the battlefield, followed by the shoota boyz, the tank bustas, the lootas, grots and the warbuggy.  The orks were unaware that an Eldar force was closing in on them fast

Ork - 1   Eldar - 0

Eldar Turn 1
From right board edge to left; the Vypers entered on the right board edge, moving 12" forward with the 5 man jetbike squad behind them.  The Fire Prism and 7 man jetbike squad came in next to them and Farseer Nayr and his warlocks arrived closest to the Orks just behind the right crater.  Farseer Nayr ordered his force to stay close together and pick apart the orks unit by unit.  The Fire Prism shot at the lootas, killing 5 of them (we both forgot about night fight for turn 1).  The Vypers fired on the right boys squad, but only killed a few, but the lumbering orks continued toward the Eldar.
Ork - 1   Eldar - 0

Ork Turn 2
The left boys squad moved over to capture the left most objective behind the barricade as the rest of the mob moved in the direction of the Eldar.  The right boyz surrounded their objective as the grots followed behind them and the warbuggy drove left around the ruins.  There was a hail of big shoota fire which killed a warlock and 1 jetbike rider from the 5 man squad.  I only had 2 saves to make and I failed them both.  I hoped my rolling would be better for the rest of the game.  It didn't even dawn on me to assign the wound to the farseer, I'll make sure to do that next time.
Ork - 2   Eldar - 0

Eldar Turn 2
The Eldar force moved closer toward the boyz on the right, while Farseer Nayr and his squad moved to the other side of the crater.  The Fire Prims sent a large blast toward the tank bustas, killing 3 and a boy from the nearby squad.  The 7 man jetbike squad fired their cannons into the boys on the right objective, killing a few.  The Vypers shot their plasma missiles into the boy, killing a few more.  The warlocks had nothing better to shoot at, so they fired at the warbuggy, but were unable to damage it.
Ork - 2   Eldar - 0

Ork Turn 3
Walord Gorgutz jumped in his trukk an ordered the boyz to start moving toward the Eldar. The Orks fired again with their Big Shootas, but did no damage. 
I believe my opponent could have charged a squad of jetbikes this turn, had he used his waaagh, but he did not move the boy squad on the right objective.
Ork - 2   Eldar - 1

Eldar Turn 3
With his force in position to strike a major blow to the Ork Force, Farseer Nayr ordered the elimination of the two closest Ork Squads.  Farseer Nayr’s squad, supported by the 7 man jetbike squad shot the Ork boys down to a Nob and 2 boys.  The Vypers targeted the densely packed Grots, killing 18 of them with their plasma missiles and shuriken cannons, sending the Slaver and remaining Grot running for their lives.  Seeing that the right flank was crippled, the Fire Prism fired into the far boys squad, killing a couple.  The 5 man jetbike squad shot at the buggy, but did no damage.  Farseer Nayr led the charge and his squad killed the remaining 3 members of the boyz squad on the objective.  They consolidated around the objective to keep it out of Ork hands.

Ork - 1   Eldar - 1

Ork Turn 4
Walord Gorgutz’s trukk was slowed down by the mass of boyz around him, but the rest of the mob moved closer to the Eldar.  Frustrated, he yelled at the boyz to kill the Warlock squad.  The shootas, lootas and tank bustas moved right and fired on the warlocks, but only managed to killing 1 with a rokkit launcha. The buggy shot at the Jetbikes, but did not even hit them.
Ork - 1   Eldar - 1

Eldar Turn 4
Farseer Nayr led the charge, moving right next to the shoota boyz.  His squad decimated them down to two members with destructor and shuriken catapults.  The remaining boyz ran for their lives.
The rest of the Eldar force split their fire to the other Ork squads.  The Fire Prism shot a few more of the boyz, as the 7 man jetbike squad killed the remaining tank busta boyz.  The 5 man jetbike squad tried to destroy the warbuggy, but it remained undamaged. Aargh!  It only has armor 10 and I just can’t kill it!  The Vypers fired at the trukk and stunned it.

Ork - 1   Eldar - 1

Ork Turn 5
The remaining squad of boys move toward the Eldar and open fire on the 7 man jetbike squad, but they could not pierce the armor of the swift jetbikes.  The remaining Loota fires at the warlocks, but misses at such a close range.
Ork - 0   Eldar - 1

Eldar Turn 5
Seeing the end of the battle near, Farseer Nayr ordered the destruction of the remaining boyz.  Farseer Nayr’s squad killed 14 (12 from the destructor) and the 7 man jetbikes killed two.  The Fire Prism fired on the boyz, but the shot went wide, nearly killing a warlock.  The 5 man Jetbikes again tried to destroy the warbuggy, but managed not to damage it again.  The Vyper squadron fired all their weapons at the trukk and immobilized it.  Farseer Nayr’s squad assaulted the 12 boyz, slayed 4 and took no casualties.  The warlocks then killed the remaining 8 as they tried to flee.
Ork - 0   Eldar - 2

Ork Turn 6
Warlord Gorgutz gave the order to retreat and the Orks ran off the battlefield, allowing the Eldar to capture all 5 artifacts.  Farseer Nayr heard distant curses from the Warlord vowing revenge, but he paid little attention to foul creature.
Looking at the pictures, I could easily captured 4 objectives by spreading out my 2 bike squads, had I played a turn 6.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Re: GC 1K Saim Hann vs lots of Orks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »
Good report and great pictures.  The lack of terrain really helped your shooting, didn't it.  ;)

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
The lack of terrain really helped your shooting, didn't it.  ;)

Yes, that did help.  I still think the thing that helped me so much was my opponent constantly keeping his units so tight together.  I had 4 templates a turn that kept hitting them.  16 grots dying from 2 Vypers?  12 boyz killed by 1 heavy flamer?  Such things should not happen.

I hope we get a rematch in the next few months as he should have done a lot better against me.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:30:36 PM »
The opponent didn't have terrain.
Didn't spread out.
Didn't cover the advance w/ other units for cover saves.

/Shrug.

I don't think he plays much 5th or he doesn't think to far into the future, or know much of eldar weaponry......of which I have no idea.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »
You're right on all those things Sanctjud.  He's still getting the hang of 5th edition.  I thought he would spread out after I shot him full of templates on the first or second turn, but he didn't.  This is my second game against him and last time it was a wipe out as well (though he played IG and it was a kill point mission).  I talked to him then about spacing out units and using them for cover, but he didn't and my warlocks killed 2 squads of guardsmen in the assault phase for a few turns.

I'd really love to do this game over again.  Both of us forgetting night fight and the lack of terrain really hindered him.  The reason I'm missing pictures is because after setting up I decided not to do a battle report.  The Wild Rider Chief convinced me to start up a thread of my campaign similar to my escalation league.  Plus, this army is in the Starting With Eldar thread.  It needs some battle reports to show it in action.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:09:13 AM by GoofyCommy »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »
I missed this one... Good BatRep and Congrats.

Enough has been said otherwise.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering