News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Curious About Members' Religions  (Read 14582 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Re: Curious About Members' Religions
« Reply #40 on: June 3, 2005, 08:36:41 PM »
I have no clue, I guess I nick ideas from everything I see but all in all my basic belief is that their is a God but he doesn't control what happens, he may have caused the big bang but I 100% believe Evolution, the Adam and Eve thing always annoyed me...

I think I may look up on Zen-Taosim, any good links you know of Rasmus?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 10:20:33 PM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #41 on: June 4, 2005, 03:31:46 AM »
I'm an Athiest.
I don't believe in God and I won't until I see some evidence.

I honestly can't see why people readily accept such absurd concepts and rituals as long as they are old, new religeons are generally looked down upon as nonsense despite having the same level of proof as older ones.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #42 on: June 4, 2005, 04:07:11 AM »
What exactly is Zen Taoism?  That web sight is not very specific, it seems more like a very brief history than an explanation of theology.
   Zen-Taoism is the fusion between the understanding of Zen and the tolernace of the Tao. I have written something small about it here but there are very few other specific resources about it, since there are so few of us in the world.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #43 on: June 4, 2005, 09:43:21 AM »
I'm an Athiest.

I honestly can't see why people readily accept such absurd concepts and rituals as long as they are old, new religeons are generally looked down upon as nonsense despite having the same level of proof as older ones.

The thing is (and I'm trying not to argue here OK, that isn't the point of this thread) that, as a Christian I have felt the presence of God within me and around me. Several other people I know via the church have felt the same.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline pathfinder

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • army funded with lotto winnings since 1996
« Reply #44 on: June 4, 2005, 10:15:51 AM »
=I, don't think stating your beliefs counts as arguening

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Shaken, Not Stirred
    • BLOBAH
« Reply #45 on: June 4, 2005, 12:43:24 PM »
I do believe there is a god but i don't think he created the world or any this bible rubbish(soory to all those who i may offend with this)
"Is this the stupid mother that tailed you uptown?"
'There seems to be some mistake,my name is...'
"Names is for tombstones,baby!"
-live and let die

"An ex-KGB guy. Tough mother. Got a limp on his right leg. Name's Zukovsky."
'Valentin Dimitrovitch Zukovsky?'
"Yeah, You Know him?"
'I gave him the limp'
-Goldeneye

"The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success"
-Tommorow never dies

"If i want sarcasm, Mr Tanner, I'll talk to my children."
-Goldeneye

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #46 on: June 4, 2005, 01:35:51 PM »
I don't think anyone should be offended by your opinions. I find it interesting to see other people's thoughts and stuff on religion and god.

~Fear the small green dude...
« Last Edit: June 4, 2005, 01:48:25 PM by Inquisitor Yoda »

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #47 on: June 4, 2005, 01:54:11 PM »
Another idea I entertain is that EVERYONE is right; like if one guy believes there is a God and is a Christian, then God exists for him, and when he dies he goes to heaven. For an atheist guy, there is no God for him, and when he dies whatever he expects will happen will happen to him.

When I die, besides going to Chrisopolis, of course, I think that I myself will become diety of my own universe, and can create my own worlds and so forth.

Just what I think'll happen.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #48 on: June 4, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »
I cannot understand how anyone could belive in a God, to me that's just pure fantasy.

However, I make a distinction between beliving in any given religion, or living by the rules presented in religion. The latter is usually fine, depending on the religion.

Oh, and in case I was unclear of my own beliefs, I'm an atheist.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #49 on: June 4, 2005, 02:22:23 PM »
I cannot understand how anyone could belive in a God, to me that's just pure fantasy.
   And if you had proof it was not fantasy, would that change your mind?

Offline Molotov Shadowhunter

« Reply #50 on: June 4, 2005, 04:17:52 PM »
Although baptised as a baby into the Church I did not believe - I had no proof.

Then after some things happened to me during a christian summer camp (I won't go into detail) I believed.
I couldn't turn away from it and say it never happened, it was too obvious and I knew there was no way of explaining it.

It is sad looking back now, that I actually needed the proof to believe something I now know is definite.
I suppose that is just how I learn.

I had proof Roy, that is why I believed. Although I wish that in a way I didn't need it.

Molotov

Offline Plato XXIV

• Fear me, for I am the Everlasting Schmo!
« Reply #51 on: June 4, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
I'm an Athiest.

The thing is (and I'm trying not to argue here OK, that isn't the point of this thread) that, as a Christian I have felt the presence of God within me and around me. Several other people I know via the church have felt the same.

i totally agree yoda. i am really glad to hear the story, molotov, it is similar to what happened to me.

Yeah, well, I would be a senior member too if Space Tavern posts counted, so, hah!

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #52 on: June 4, 2005, 04:41:36 PM »
Seems to take a few of us that way, Molotov's story matches mine fairly closely.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #53 on: June 4, 2005, 05:48:18 PM »

If I had definitive proof, something that could not be argued by science, or reason, something that was in every essence, definitive, I might belive. But that will never happen.

I had proof Roy, that is why I believed. Although I wish that in a way I didn't need it.

Molotov

I have no proof, all I have ever seen is BS, and misused power, and people rejecting science for fiction.

Sorry, I cannot, and will not belive there is a supernatural power out there, that sees everything, knows everything and is beyond nature.

Cannot and will not happen.

Try to make me think otherwise, you'll never manage to give me a convincing argument.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #54 on: June 4, 2005, 07:29:21 PM »

If I had definitive proof, something that could not be argued by science, or reason, something that was in every essence, definitive, I might belive. But that will never happen.
   A friend of mine (atheist at the time) was chased through a wood by a burning horseman later identified as the Celtic God of the Hunt, or somesuch. It was real enough to burn trees and leave tracks for us to see the enxt day, and divine enough to ride through him and then disappear into smoke, right before his very eyes. And no, he was not on something, nor suffering mental instability. He saw it, and it turned him right around. He is a sound Wiccan now. If something like that were to happen to you; would you rather claim that you were insane for seeing it (as it defies any plausible explanation) or believe in the divinity?

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #55 on: June 4, 2005, 08:39:51 PM »

However, I make a distinction between beliving in any given religion, or living by the rules presented in religion. The latter is usually fine, depending on the religion.

Oh, and in case I was unclear of my own beliefs, I'm an atheist.

Adn the religious may think the same of Atheists. Arguements about the existance of god are over all pointless and futile.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #56 on: June 4, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »
For the most part there's no point using logic to try to break someone's faith - you may as well try to use logic to stop them from loving their spouses, or from enjoying the taste of their favourite food. By that same token, it's also pointless trying to use logic to justify a faith.

A friend of mine (atheist at the time) was chased through a wood by a burning horseman later identified as the Celtic God of the Hunt, or somesuch. It was real enough to burn trees and leave tracks for us to see the enxt day, and divine enough to ride through him and then disappear into smoke, right before his very eyes. And no, he was not on something, nor suffering mental instability. He saw it, and it turned him right around. He is a sound Wiccan now. If something like that were to happen to you; would you rather claim that you were insane for seeing it (as it defies any plausible explanation) or believe in the divinity?

My first reaction would be 'acid flashback', followed by 'crazy hoax' and then 'I must've just wandered onto a film set'.

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #57 on: June 4, 2005, 10:49:21 PM »
Seems to take a few of us that way, Molotov's story matches mine fairly closely.

Yet none of you are going to tell us what this experience is? Come on! I like a story as much as the next man, if I believe you or not, you shouldn't care! Tell me!

Tell me tell me tell me!

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #58 on: June 4, 2005, 10:54:43 PM »
Weird things happen all the time though, we can't explain everything yet. I'm sure they are mostly the imagination (For lack of a better term)of the person who experienced it.*

I'm an Athiest.

You will never know if those were the same experiences you felt
The question is: Was that the presence of God, or something more normal that you chose (Whether you knew it or not) to interpret as the presence of god?
Would you have though so much of this experience if you were an Athiest?
These cannot yet be answered and so religeon is a fruitless debate.

...But then, their is nothing that your all organic robots programmed to believe that your human by a giant, invisible melon in the sky. Perhaps me and David Hasselhoff are the only humans left? Perhaps people would be more inclined to believe it if it was written a few thousand years ago?

The robots, they're watching...

[Edit, for Seer Fox who posted while I was typing] For example a while back I was visiting relatives in the north of England. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of voices speaking what sounded like German. They talked a few words to each other then stopped. Suffice to say I had trouble sleeping that night. I was the only one who had heard anything despite them being quite loud and clear.
Where they Ghosts, Aliens or was I just half alseep and dreaming?

« Last Edit: June 4, 2005, 11:02:45 PM by Dark Exodus »

Offline cubbie

• Meow. Rawr. Etc. Etc.
« Reply #59 on: June 4, 2005, 11:46:14 PM »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

I take deep pleasure in ploping a whole squid on my head and running around attacking random people on the street :)

no, I posted a while ago a breif essay on my beliefs (cant be bothered to dig it up, I didnt get many followers :P ) Im an Cthulhuistic Atheist, or maybe a Dehumanistic Atheist.

Atheism without humanity at its heary.

It always seems strange that people denounce theology but keep its values and opinons. I think their too afraid that the next logical step would be homocidal mania (it aint :) )

Ia Ia Cthulhu R'lyeth!  :D
« Last Edit: June 5, 2005, 12:06:11 AM by cubbie »
"Liberty Is a hor who must be bedded on a matress of corpses, so hold hold you lamp as high as you like, theres still rats in your basement and Sloppy Joe's famous triple-Mcsplooge running down your thigh" -Mr Wednesday