News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The year 40k  (Read 573 times)

Offline The Hobo Hunter

The year 40k
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:48:03 AM »
Just out of interest, is there a current 'year' or span of years in which the 40kverse is set in? I know GW likes to remain staic with their fluff, and not advance anywhere ,but does anyone have an idea what sort of timeline the latest fiction/campaigns are set, and if so, whether this means that 40k is technically 'up to' that year/years? The latest I can recall was Usarkar Creed, where the IG codex describes the 13th crusade beginning around 999.M41.

I know this might all sound confusing, but it just seems like GW lets everything drift around somewhere between M.31 and M.41, with no regards as to where we are up to.
We have more men than you have bullets!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: The year 40k
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:56:22 AM »
Most of 40k is set in M40-M41. They should probably be up to early M42 is they do another big campaign, but that is about as far as they head out. Necromunda was set a bit earlier.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
Re: The year 40k
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:31:51 AM »
Indeed. The date you'll be most often given as representing 'the present' in 40k is 999.M41. There are certain problems with that (too often people forget about the check number, for example), but that is supposed what time it is - in our dating, that would be 40,999 AD. I suspect GW is unwilling to move into M42 for the somewhat shallow reason that the game's name would cease to be accurate. I'd like them to write more about historical events prior to M41 myself, as M41 is starting to get cluttered with massive revelations and events and galaxy-shaking phenomena, but I'm not naive enough to think they'll actually do that. :-[
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.