News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tut: Iyanden Wraithguard for the PoC  (Read 3490 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Tut: Iyanden Wraithguard for the PoC
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »
Hey everyone.

Its that time of year again where holidays mean that I can get back to wok with what I love most of all... painting.  So its also about time that I fulfill a promise I made to Starky to post a tutorial or a step by step thread of how I paint my Wraithguard.  I know I promised it to you some time last year but at last im delivering and have time to do this properly.

So far I have painted up a single Wraithguard from a unit of 10 as a test model to find the right scheme and see what would and what wont work.  I have found a scheme I am happy with.

Now dont get me wrong I love Iyanden (as if you couldnt tell) and I love everything about them, but I wish they would hurry up and make some plastics for wraithguard as the current metal models are god awful models to make look good. Whilst the model its self does look quite cool there is such a lack of detail and alot of areas that seem to blend into eachother. Because its an old model and an old casting mould the models do not have much definition on them.  But I think ive done an ok job on it, its certainly nothing special.

I know you all want pics so here goes...

Part of the idea for this unit is that the tribal style designs on the helmet will be different on each model, but they will all encorprate the eternity circuit symbol in its design somehow... Im sure you can see where it is on this first model.

So what am I going to do now... well I've shown you a final product, and now I am going to paint up the rest of the squad and take pics of each step and give some explanation to show you how I got to the final product you see here.

Hope you enjoy

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
Re: Tut: Iyanden Wraithguard for the PoC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
Those look really nice. Well done. It's simple and quite effective.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »
Valar, probably one, if not THE best traditional Iyanden Wraithguard model I've ever seen - Despite the ageing models you managed a very good paint job, freehand painting is quite well done, I like the asymmetry, and it's big enough to help forget the model's lack of details.

Also, as always your bases looks great, makes the WG stand out, gems are perfect. :)

Do you project of modelling some of the Wraithguard in the unit? There's one of the three cast that have a leg that isn't stuck with the loincloth, a possibility for a leg up on some rock or piece of ruin, possibly turning some head(s) too...?

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
Hey Starky,

Thanks for the kind words, Im glad you like it I will PM you later also about some suggestions for the PoC and I am working on my army fluff but fluff is my weak point and I havent played enough to offer some tactics yet but hopefully il be working on that soon.

Thanks for your ideas... I had not though about any conversions on the WG models but I will certainly have a closer look at them tonight and see what I can do if anything to them, it would be nice to break up the monotony of the models.  And the base is a plain resin base, its not finished yet Ive still got to add some foliage and static grass but Im glad you like it... i myself am a sucker for scenic bases.

More to come soon

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
Just an update of where im at with these wraithguard and the first of the step by step pics.

The spirit Seer

Right so the first step is as I paint all my yellow, its a yellow ink wash then once dried 2-3 thin coats of golden yellow.  Which gets you this far.

Not much to look at right now but its the very first few stages!

More to come

Offline Mr.Zombie Pogo Stick

« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2009, 05:23:02 PM »
They look AMAZING, cant wait to see them go step by step, I love these kinda threads
Can I have sex with it while killing it? - Daniel, Duck Lord of the True Kin
I always thought Autarch's were a bit fruity - Seraph Tenacious
oh holy jumped-up christ on a pogo-stick! - Rasmus
Hey look i can post the word poop fifty times -DestroyerOfWorlds
seven randomly selected Lithuanians get mumps every time someone digs up an old thread - Mr Peanut
Be yourself, don't take anyone's amphetamine parrot, and never let them take you alive." - Gerard Way

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »
Yeah, those step by step threads are great. Even if you don't plan on painting something like that in the near future, you still can learn a lot that may come in handy some day.

And the Wraithguard look great, those clean and sharp Eldar glyphs add some much neede detail to an otherwise rather dull model.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings