News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: POC: Iyanden --- The Ghost Warriors  (Read 114731 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
POC: Iyanden --- The Ghost Warriors
« on: April 1, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »
Welcome to Iyanden

Hi warriors of Craftworld Iyanden!

Welcome to our very own POC (Path Of Command).

This the thread where those (or anyone wanting to contribute, really) of Iyanden calling may post to discuss all thing Iyanden, be it Background (Fluff), Tactica, Army Lists, general advice and/or random questions Iyanden related.

Mind you all that we aren't in a dictatorship and the PoC will/should be run by concensus between the highest authorities, i.e the Wraithlords, although any advice, comment and opinion from anyone is quite welcome. ;)

Below is our PoC organisation, command structure and memberlist, which may (and will) be edited in time, as may be the ranking which isn't official yet.

-For members, if you happens to have joined the Iyanden PoC but your name doesn't appear, please just PM me and I'll get it arranged.
   -For non-members, well, yes! There's lot of place to fill in our underpopulated Craftworld, be sure to check in, take a look and if what you see is at your taste, why not move in?

You know you wanna to. Do it. DO IT!

Starky

Command Structure and moving up the ranks:
(From f.desrochers, contributions from BrathaLir, Gwaihir and Starrakatt)

Drawing on the schemes of the other POCs, I suggest we keep our schema relatively similar to the others. This will promote some legitimacy, even if the actual throughput of some of the members are not as vigorous as the other Craftworlds.

* Farseer: Were a Moderator be part of the Iyanden PoC, such would be his ranking.

* Spiritseer (in place of Autarch): As per other POCs, there should just be the one. This person would be the overall coordinator/project lead of all POC: Iyanden efforts.

* Wraithlord (in place of Exarch): Have dedicated much of their time to the Craftworld, through posts on these boards and real-life games. Contributors of materially significant information, observations and write-ups. Players who have won/placed (proved) in RTT/GTs would qualify (though not a sole qualifier for this rank). There would probably be relatively few of these members, as befits the fluff. Their post-count should be reflective (750+).

* Bonesinger (in place of Warlock): Contributors who actually step up and produce an article or posts that help materially advance the overall scheme of the projects being conducted (in-depth articles, icons, graphics, webspace, etc). There will be several who receive the notice and attention for their posts that will receive this rank. Their post-count should be reflective (500+).

* Wraithguard (in place of Aspect Warrior): Normal contributors who participate in the discussions to add their weight to the wisdom collected (fluff, history, play guides, etc) but do not wish or have not the experience to produce significant articles. Their post-count should be reflective (200+).

* Guardian: Those who have just started with the Craftworld and contribute their experiences and try to advance Iyanden's cause in their own way. Their post-count should be reflective (100+).

* Civilian: Those that have vowed allegiance to Iyanden but still doesn't have the post count to get titled yet. Not a Custom Title as such but a way to list those in way of becoming full fledged Guardians or more (up to 100 posts).

Ranking within the Iyanden PoC:
(In alphabetical order)

- Farseer: Vacant

- Spiritseer: Starrakatt

- Wraithlord: f.desrochers, Gwaihir

- Bonesinger: BrathaLir, Eothen, Sapphon, Valar, Irandrura (Honorary:Former Spiritseer)

- Wraithguard: Aislinn, bebe, BloatedToad, Brierton,  Broono, BudgieGuard, kyle vp, Lord_Drazhar,
Mellchia, Two Hawks, Wraithlord Saunders,

- Guardian: BubbaMack, cabie22, Fir Dinillainn, haunt, mfostkd, Sludge_City, The-One-Tree, 

- Civilian: Blue Corporaptor, Candriel, echo34, Fireforce5, Havoq, Kubrick54, madelmo, Mon_Keigh, PanzarDragon, Roizo, Simmoski,  Spiritwarroir, Wingzero, Wraith,  Zorb,

Also, you may access the original Iyanden PoC thread by clicking Here and the transitory one Here.

The general informations on the Eldar Path of Command can be found Here, where you will find generic Avatars and banners for the Iyanden PoC, based or not on rankings, just check it out.

Also, it is possible for the PoC members to show off with a pair of custom banners from Eothen (like the one in my sig):
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/Iyandenbanner3-1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/Iyandenbanner2.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x187/Starrakatt/IyandenBannerStarky3-1-1.png

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x187/Starrakatt/40KOnline/img44c051a90e91app5.gif

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x187/Starrakatt/40KOnline/A1548PGE.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x187/Starrakatt/40KOnline/Iyanden.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x187/Starrakatt/40KOnline/iyanden1.jpg

Edit: Alaitoc dissaproves of your eye burning choice of yellow, I have changed it to a friendlier blue... and hope that those with the black theme can still see it... - oink
« Last Edit: September 1, 2010, 12:31:44 PM by oink »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: POC: Iyanden - The Host of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »
The Iyanden Great Library

This is the Great Iyanden Library, rows and rows of mnemonic psycho crystals and time immune scrolls of ancient lore. Here you shall know the joys of uncovering veiled secrets, mysteries unknown or long forgotten as well as ancient legends and history.
   Also easily accessible by simple psychic linking are to be accessed depictions of great armies, strategic history and epic tales of battles, great and small ones, be they righteous victories or lamentations of defeat.
   Access knowledge and sharpen your mind as keen as a blade for knowledge is the first step on the Path to victory.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:07:36 AM by Starrakatt »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
Legends of Iyanden
Fluff, Histories and Discussions

An introduction to Iyanden

Your footsteps echo as you pass along the crystalline bridge. It sparkles in the starlight, reflected radiance gently twinkling in the cavernous chamber. Not a sound mars the still beauty of the moment, until the serenity is broken by another step. The wind created by your passage swirls in your wake, mingling with the flow of air from the craftworld’s recirculation systems. Once you leave here, the momentary discordance will fade away and the hall will be empty once more. The craftworld will live still, but for whom?
    You shake off these despondent thoughts as you reach the end of this stage of the journey, and enter the Dome of Crystal Seers itself. Here, ancient and sacred trees send probing fronds above, biological memory telling them to reach for a sky that does not exist in space. Through the branches, you see the motionless silhouette of a farseer. He will not move – he has not for centuries, his body slowly transmuted to stone over a lifetime of drawing upon fell energies.
    Leaving him in respectful peace, you continue through to the inner chambers, slowly, careful to avoid treading on the spirit stones set in the Dome’s floor. There are too many now, each one representing the departed soul of a brave eldar of Iyanden. It is for them that you and every other survivor must continue to survive, for the galaxy cannot afford to lose a place of such sublime transcendence as the craftworld.
    The others are already present, each bearing a translucent waystone. They glow with an inner radiance, and flicker in recognition as you raise the stone in your own hands. No words need to be said, each eldar’s imperceptible psychic aura in tune with your own, telling you all that you need to know. In perfect synchronicity, each eldar in the circle lowers their waystone into the circuit node, communing with the beloved ancestors.
    In but a moment, it is done, and you raise your head, leaving the cool tranquillity of the Infinity Circuit and tearing yourself back to reality. However painful it may be for you, though, you know that it is a thousand times worse for the warrior whose soul you have just conjured back from beyond. You offer a short prayer that this were not necessary and join the procession of seers leaving the chamber.
    You know your wraith well. Over centuries of service, you have come to recognise its wraithbone form, its subtle imperfections, its strengths, patterns, and you can even feel the residual memories of those who have overseen it before. Reverently, you place the waystone within its armoured shell.
    As it comes to life, blind eyes focusing anew, you feel a momentary twinge of pity for those poor fools who must stand in its way.

From Irandrura, excerpt from the first PoC

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:07:57 AM by Starrakatt »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2008, 09:41:30 AM »
    Tales of Heroic Iyanden Battles
    A Compilation of All Iyanden Related 40konline Battle Reports

The following is a collection of links and descriptions of battles fought by the powerful wraith hosts of Iyanden and other craftworlds.  When new batreps are written, the link is added to the top of the list.  Please PM me with a link to any Iyanden related batreps not included in this list and I will try to add them in quickly.  Please remember that some of these reports are very old and should not be posted in.  Check the date before responding to any of these batreps.

Starky has added a 5th edition batrep--the first full 5th batrep to be added to the list!
    Wingzero has contributed a psuedo 5th edition batrep.

Commisar Hall, Gwaihir, Sapphon, small_furry_spider, Starrakatt and Suithapp have contributed 4th Edition batreps. 

And now for something a little more old school--3rd edition batreps from Biel-Tan, Culeagh/Halberd-Blue, f.desrochers, Gwaihir, Hybrid-9, Killersquid and Korakae.

Special thanks to Starrakatt for compiling the original list![/list]
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:15:13 AM by Gwaihir »

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
    « Reply #4 on: April 3, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »
    The Iyanden Autarch's Guide to War
    A Collection of Tactics Articles for the Iyanden Commander

Below are links to threads and in some cases to posts within threads which contain good tactical advince related to Iyanden armies.  The Iyanden in 4th edition links are only accessible to 40konline members with 100+ posts--Sorry.  Hopefully when Iyanden POC members have their threads edited and completed, they will transfer the content into a thread in the Eldar tactics board so that newer members can link to the tactics.

Now for the start of the list:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:44:58 PM by Gwaihir »

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
    « Reply #5 on: April 3, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
    Selecting a Victorious Wraith Host
    A Compilation of Successful Iyanden Lists

This post is under construction and is to include links to army lists that Iyanden POC members have agreed are solid builds.  Eventually there should be several lists from the ranges of 1000 to 2000 points for those who want a starting point for their Iyanden lists. 

If you want your list added please ensure that it is in final form and that you have used it successfully more than once or twice against more than one or two opponents.  I will add lists that I think are good or that are recommended by a Iyanden POC wraithlord, or the spiritseer.  Also, lists most likely won't be added if they are substantially similar to a list from that point level which is already posted.

There is a link to each list.  If the list has been rated for the Big List of Eldar lists there is a link to the rating and the scores given by Gutstikk, Moc and Chaplain Swordwind are shown.  A "No" under the "Rated?" column indicates that the list hasn't been rated.  Lists that haven't been rated are still solid lists.

1000 Point Lists:
    To be added

1250 Point Lists:
    To be added

1500 Point Lists:
    To be added

1700 Point Lists:
    Link & Author**********Rated?******GS x/5******MS x/10******CSS x/10***
    List by f.desrochers.
    Yes.

1750 Point Lists:
    To be added

1850 Point Lists:
    List by Starrakatt.
    Yes.
    4/5
    8/10
    ?/10
    List by Gwaihir.
    Yes.
    4.5/5
    8.2/10
    6.5/10

2000 Point Lists:
    List by Gwaihir.
    5/5
    8.2/10
    ?/10.
    « Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:46:30 PM by Gwaihir »

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
    • Bitter Vet
    « Reply #6 on: April 4, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »
      Converting, Painting and Showing Off your Ghost armies
      The Convertion, Painting tips and Pictures Section
      (Due credits to all works linked in here: Thank you all!)

This post is always under reconstruction and regularly updated: It is to include new links on how to convert and/or paint your ghost armies. We'd like for members (or anyone else for that matter) to share their experience in modelling and painting or point us out to articles and guides so that we can add the link(s) to the Great Library.

The Painting Guide and Tips Compilation

Valar's Traditonal Iyanden Painting Guide:

The Convertion Compilation

Wraithlords:

Wraithguard:

Various Others:
      The Picture Compilation

[/list]
      « Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:01:16 PM by Starrakatt »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
      • Bitter Vet
      Re: POC: Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors -
      « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 09:36:15 AM »
      Links to Various Tactica & Army List Threads
      Some may not be accessible for members under 100 posts

- Ghost Armies Tactica, by haunt
         Full Wraith Lists Tactica and 'How To'.
      - For Those Starting out with Eldar, by moc065
         Analysis off every units in the eldar repertoire along with tacticas and army lists, a must read to help with unit selection.
      - The Wall of Wraithbone, by Starrakatt
         Some Tacticas for using Wraithguard.
      - Building Competitive Lists in Fifth Edition, by Gutstikk
         The Title say it all. There are also some sompetitive lists in there that are worth to be seen.
      - Unconventional Tactics Articles, compiled by Gutstikk
         New points of view on how to use units, rarely used tactics, and more!
      - Support Weapons in Wraith lists discussion
      - Wraithguard Economics

Temporary Batrep Center

- Starrakatt's Campaign VS diverse opponents...
      - haunt's Ghost army VS T'au - 2500 pts
      - Starrakatt's Tourney Report VS BA, IG & SM
      - Valar's First Batrep, VS Chaos Space Marines! (Sword of Heidar Part 1 - 2000 pts)
      - Valar's Sword of Heidal batrep VS Chaos (Part 2 - 2000 pts)

- A hell of a lot of Lists! as compiled by Starky
      - How to deal with Mcs

Hi all, although there hasn't been much input from the PoC members so far I have confidence in you all people. ;)

I'd like to thanks Gwaihir for the great work he's done so far and for all the contributor of the Articles, Pics, Treatises, Army Lists and others that have made their way to the
      Iyanden Great Library.

Now, I think it would be cool if we Iyanden could post pics of our Iyanden armies in the thread (painted or not) if you have the capacity.

There are my Silver Ghosts at around a rough 2000 Pts, and these models are the ones that make their ways the most on the tabletop. (Right-click/show image to enlarge).

The Wraith Host:

The Living:

Some units I throw in from time to time:

Hmmm, I took the pics in the evening and that show. I'll try to come back soon with new ones with better lightning. :D

Starky
      « Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:41:59 AM by Starrakatt »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Mellchia

• The flame of glory can never be held for too long.
        • EldarWeb
      « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
      I didn't realize we were allowed to post to this thread...

Looks good!

I think in the past I said I was going to provide a counterview to f.des' lists. I'll try to get on that on some point.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
      • Bitter Vet
      « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
         Hi Mellchia, and of course you are allowed!

There may have been some confusion at the startup of the New PoC but that was only to get some kind of 'Front Page' in order before it became open to all.

This thread stand here for members of the Iyanden PoC to ask questions related to our Craftworld, post Army Lists, Treatises of any sort, Fluff and/or just plain comments and opinions on something that the PoC may/could have an interest in.
         Or post pics of their own Iyanden forces just like I did. Or Art if you are good at drawing, really anything you feel may be a good contribution to our cause. ;)

And we surely hope that more people will come in and make some contribution in any way they can to keep the thread 'alive'.

Starky

EDIT: The Chronicle of Vaul editorial is now up and running at the Front Page and will be kept updated regularly (I hope) with news, events, new stuff making it's way on the PoC and welcome of new members/older ones but first posters in the Thread.

Check it out! ;)
      « Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:58:52 PM by Starrakatt, the Left Hand of Khaine »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
      « Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
      I'll add some pictures of my army.  I am a ridiculously slow painter, so many things still have some work to be done.  This isn't my whole Eldar force, but is a bit more than what I field in my Iyanden type lists.

Here is a picture of the army as a whole (and a titan in the background on the upper left corner ;)):

A closer look at the left side:

I'm changing my Falcons.  The one on the left is on its way; the one on the right is the scheme I started with.  The one on the right has my waveserpent turret on top.  I made it out of a pencil sharpener.  The big jewel needs work as does the turret and the underside.  I just made a dragon's breath flamer for my Fire Dragon Exarch out of a brightlance.  I got the black wraithguard in a trade, and am in the process of repainting them.

A closer look at the right:

My two main wraithguard squads:

The white squad is a work in progress.  Like I said, I am really slow.  The green wraithguard with the gold loincloth is more or less what the rest of the squad will look like when done.

Here are some of the Avatar; probably my best work:

The walker in the front is more or less done, though I still have to do the gems.  The wraithlord is also pretty much done, though at some point I'll paint up some of his gems also.
      « Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:50:31 PM by Gwaihir »

Offline cabie22 (Thread-Jacker)

• i can ride my bike with no handlebars
      « Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
      gotta say, some of the paint jobs on the models above look super sic ie that avatar looks like he actually is hot to the touch.
      I wish i had some wraithbone

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
      • Ancient
      • King of the Preemptive Strike
        • klucas.piczo.com
      « Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
      Hey Gwaihir, aside form the Primer parts... I like your army and think that your paint scheme is very Iyanden.. Bold and up front because you can,.... Nothing can take enemy fire/charge like a unit of 10 WG with concealing Warlocka nd Fortune.... unless there are two said units.

Ouch talk about resilient.

CaHG
      Join POC: Saim-Hann
      or Read the Guide to Eldar
      or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
      • Bitter Vet
      « Reply #13 on: May 4, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
         @Gwaihir: I understand what you mean with being slow on painting: With the kids an family, along with the fact that I can spend hours on few basic models before being satisfied mean that it take me forever to paint mine (That's why I decided to commission my Eldar).
         Hopefully, when we'll have moved I'll have space and more time to paint myself.
         The Avatar is indeed quite impressive, I like it. I agree with you that the new color pattern with the golden loincloth is better than the first squad. Did you consider that just painting the Wraithcannon on these and maybe some gems would make them better, since you don't seem too fond of the color pattern right now.
         Just a thought. ;)

@moc065: Yeah, they are so formidably resilient. I'm just back from a local Double Team Tourney at 1K each (Allied with: GK, T'au and Necron) and there's what happened to the Wraithguard in three matches:

1 st: With T'au VS the new Daemons/DE: The WG were caught by a second turn charge by a bike Archon and slaughtered to the Spiritseer (who got downed by a Darklance shot at the end) on the course of 5 CC turn before killing the bastard, that hurt! They had only one full Wraithcannon volley before that and that was on a Bloodthirster that just deepstriked near them: The beast saved all the 6 shots/wounds except one but it was finished by the T'au: Game won by Objective/VPs.

2nd: With Necrons VS double Mech Eldar: The Wraithguard were pounded from beginning to end by the mobile, shooty Eldar and reduced to 4 models at the end (excluding Spiritseer who got Mindwared, despite RoW): Game won by objectives.

3nd: With GK VS BT/Asscan Spam SMurfs: The Wraithguard were Asscanned from 2nd turn on by 4 Tornados and some random stuff along the game, finishing the match with 4 model left (including Spiritseer): Game won by Vps.

I'll write a full account the tourney in the Batrep thread soon and come back to link it.

I'd also want to welcome our latest member and link the thread on his own fledging fluff thread:
      BudgieGuard Thread.

Starky

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
      « Reply #14 on: May 7, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
      I think that I'm starting to like Iyanden more than Alaitoc.  It's too over populated, and I think that once I get some wraithguard and am actually able to use my Farseers/Spiritseers, I'll appreciate Iyanden all the more.  Besides, as Yriel said, "The dead must join our ranks, lest we be forced to join theirs."
        "Their song shall die first!"

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
      • Bitter Vet
      « Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »
         Well Aislinn, here's your official welcome in the PoC thread.

You've been quite active since you're here, so congrats on your new Guardian Title. ;) Continue like that and you'll reach the ranks of the Wraithguard soon enough.

If you feel so inclined, you can add an Iyanden banner to your sig (check first page, that's free advertising!), also since you have reached the 100 post limit you now have acces to the
      Eldar Project forums, where you may want to take a look.

As for me people, sorry if I am not more active these time but real life interferences are keeping me busy elsewhere but be assured that I'll try to get some action in the thread as soon as I am finished outside (let's say that it involve moving soon and having my very own custom gaming room  ;D).

Starky

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
      • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
      « Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
      Wooooo a custom gaming room.... a labor of love.... too bad i live so far away... the only time I visit Canada would be Calgary, Alberta...even then the GW store there is quite far... and the airlines really don't like my metal models...

Ninja-back-flip out of the forum...  ;D

My 7 Cents.
      If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
      Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
      « Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 11:16:07 AM »
      Well, I thought I would share yesterday's battle experience.  I hadn't lost with my wraith army since I stopped using three wraithlords about a year ago. I've played around 25 games in that span with about a 3:1 win:draw ratio.  I was using 2 wraithlords in the game I lost, I'll blame the loss on them. ;  Well not really, I'll get to that in a bit.

But first, the good news...well sort of.  I got a draw against a nidzilla army as well.  My [url-http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=159316.0]list[/url] was one some of you have seen before and is in the list of lists a few posts back.  Basically it was Fa'alorath, Autarch, 2x Wraithguard squads, Dragons in Falcon, Harlies, Vyper, Walkers.

His list was 3 Sniper Fexes (venom cannon, barbed strangles, 2+sv), 3 Dakka Fexes (2x Twin linked devourers), Flyrant (2x Twin linked devourers), 2 6 man genestealer squads, 2 raveners, and a 10 man warrior squad with various guns.

The mission was one where you only start with the compulsory troops on the board and deploy in corners.  Despite my reserves coming in on 2s on the second turn (+1 to reserve roll for autarch, +1 for mission) I didn't get Eldrad or the Autarch until turn 4 so couldn't fortune the guard until turn 5. >:(

He mostly kept the big bugs in a tight group slowly advancing.  The stealers and raveners came at my force.  The stealers and one ravener got shot up.  One ravener assaulted the guard and kill 3 or 4 before dying.  That guard squad lost several more to shooting and was down to two or three members at the end of the game.  I also lost the vyper and a walker to some shooting.  The rest of my force was intact.  He lost both stealer squads, both raveners and a Dakkafex.  I was one wound short of dropping the warriors below half and didn't put enough wounds on any of the other big bugs to get points for them.  I was about 120 or so points ahead, but not quite enough for a victory.

I had a great mindwar which dropped 4 wounds from the fex that I killed.

This was a tricky fight because if I advanced on the big block of fexes, they and the nearby warriors and flyrant would tear my guard apart in cc.  If I worked the range just right, I maybe could kill one with a volley of wraithcannons, but the rest of the guard would be likely lost. 

I probably should have just hid the vyper and walkers since they didn't have real good targets to shoot at when I left them exposed.  That would have saved enough points to win, but would have been rather boring.

Things weren't much better for my opponent because nothing in the list could really do serious damage to the blocks of guard at range becuase there was no AP3 shooting.  He couldn't really force me to come to him, couldn't do much to me at range, and couldn't get the cc specialists engaged without having them shot up on the way in.

I am really thining about fireprisms.  They would give a much needed boost to my effectivenss at range.  I think they would fit nicely in place of the Falcon and Dragons.

I'll add a desciption of the other battle in a bit.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
      « Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
      So, like I said, I suffered my first loss in about a year with my wraith army.  My opponent is one of if not the best players in my area and usually wins the rogue trader missions in which he participates.  I think he said he is undefeated with his army.

I am a point with my wraith army though where I am seriously destroying most armies I face.  I have had a number of recent games where I destroy the entire enemy force down to the last model, don't lose any VPs and only lose a few models.  Opponents who don't know how to handle the list have a terrible time against it.  I want to play the better players and see how it does against them, but they tend to not hang around for the tuesday night pickup games, so I am trying to issue challenges.

Back to my opponent.  He was using an ork army.  It was more or less:
      • Boss on a Bike
      • Big Mech
      • 20-30 shoota boys
      • 20-30 slugga(?) boys
      • 20-30 slugga(?) boys
      • 20 boys with jump packs
      • Battle wagon
      • Looted(?) vehicle (S8, AP3 ordinance)
      • Grots with 2 long-ranged melta weapon of some sort
      • Trukk with heavy flamer
      • Snikkrot and a bunch of friends

My list is in the list of lists above and had:  2 farseers with fortune, 2 wraithguard squads, 2 wraithlords, 2 warwalkers, 2 vypers, 4 shining spears, 3 jetbikes, 8 harliquins.  If you follow the link to the list you'll notice my comments in the beginning that I deliberately avoided the "over-powered" stuff like Eldrad and Falcons.  I was setting myself up for quite a challenge facing one of the best players in the area with what I didn't see as being my best list.

In both lists above I didn't add obivous things like powerclaws for the orks or fortune for the farseers, but there were in there.

Anyway on to the battle.

I was hoping that I could sort set things up so I would only have to deal with part of his force at a time, destroy it then hit the next thing.  I made a mistake deploying I think, but I am not quite sure how I could have fixed it.  The problem though was that my units were often in my way and I had difficulty setting things up as desired as I prepared to meet his charge.  My two guard squads were more or less in the middle of the board.  A wraithlord with the bikes were out of sight on my right flank and everything else was bunched up out of sight on the left flank.  His shoota boys, the looted vehicle and the grots were more or less opposite the lord and bikes on the right flank.  The battle wagon, trukk and a squad of boyz were in the middle.  The jump troops, a squad of boyz and the Mech were on the left.

I won deployment and chose to go first in order to get fortune going so that the looted vehicle wouldn't have too easy a time killing off the guard who were in its line of sight.  Even so I failed most of the fortune rerolls that turn and lost 3 or so guard.  My main plan was to focus on a couple squads, soften them up and hope I could get them to run, then work on the next squads.  I didn't have that much to shoot with though and didn't want to expose other things to enemy fire so I didn't get too many kills.  The spears exarch used the jetbike slide to fire off the cannon and kill a few orks though.  There were some other scattered kills, but obviously with orks a few kills don't matter.

The main issue with this turn was attempting to position my forces to receive a charge and effectively counter.  I was worried about snickrot coming in and killing off my spears or harlies and removing my counter charge ability so I spent the first few rounds trying to set up a box which would protect my spears and harlies.

He basically advanced on his turns killing a few guard and immbilizing the walker.  The first two turns were about positioning.  Things got interesting in the third turn when snikrot came in.  By that time, I had managed to kill enough boyz to pay for the shuriken cannon on the spear exarch.  (Just had to throw that in there cause I like it.)  More importantly the battle wagon was immobilized by a guard volley.  I should also mention that I made a mistake with how I moved my bikes and it cost me the shuriken cannon. :P  My opponent is too good for me to make mistakes like that and not have it cost me.  Had that not happened I may have had a chance later in the game to kill off the looted vehicle.

Setting up for the charge was the key though. I pushed a guard squad against the board edge and bracketed it with vypers.  On the left the wraithlord and a walker completed the screen there.  Snickrot had no way to hit more forces effectively on that side.  On the right only the vyper impeded his movement, but he had to enter difficult terrain an move something like 14" total to get around the vyper to the guard.  Just engaging the vyper would be useless because it would die or not and leave them exposed to a full wraithcannon volley and a followup charge by the guard if necessary as well as fire from the wraithlord and bikes on the right.

So my rear was fairly effectively covered.  From the front I faced a likely charge from a large squad of boys with the bike boss attached.  (I should mention that the mission gave double points for killing off a certain squad.  This is the squad I would get the double points for.  My harlies were the squad he would get double points for.)  A wraithguard squad would take that charge.  He could possibly engage the harlies with the charge as well, but would only contact a couple while most of the harlie squad would get its swings.  They would probably kill enough so the boyz wouldn't get any return attacks.  The other boys squad on that side was bogged down in cover and the flying boys didn't move far enough forward for a charge.  The boys in the center were also slowed by cover and wouldn't be a factor on the third turn.

I had managed to make a box with my troops setting it up so the guard would be charged and the harlies and spears could counter.

In his turn 3 he brought in Snickrott on the right of the box hoping to get around the vyper.  He made a mistake in the shooting phase targeting the rear wraithguard squad with the ordinance and killing one.  I pulled the one closest to the vyper making the distance he needed to cover to engage the guard even greater.  He used his waaagh this turn and was able to assault both guard squads, the one in the rear with Snickrott and the one in the front with the hunted squad and boss.  The boyz were in the boss's way though so he didn't get to attack.  The boss and nob managed to kill off 4 or 5 of the guard in the front squad and I lost one guard in the back squad.  A few orks died.

At this point it is the start of turn 4.  I have the flying boyz approaching from the left.  They likely will be able to assault the next turn.  The shoota boys are advancing on the right and the lord and bikes are slowly whittling them down.  The center boys are advancing slowly through cover.  I only really have to worry about getting out of combat and preparing for the flying boys.

If I do things right, I can use my hit and run moves to move quickly to the right with much of the force leaving the flying boys out of range of the bulk of my force.  I also have a delay planned for them as well.  Unfortunatley, I don't do things right and lose the game for myself on this turn.

Snickrott isn't too scarry and the guard squad there can handle them in one or two rounds.  The boss and the orks attacking my front guard worry me.  I also don't want to be stuck there too long because it will make it easier for the other orks to get involved.  I set up a charge with the harlies on from the left and the spears from the right.  The harlies are positioned to limit the kill zone a bit so I don't face any or at least very few return attacks. 

Meanwhile my remaining walker (the other had been killed earlier) advances on the flying boys.  The powerclaw is far enough away from the closest model so that I don't have to worry about return attacks if I charge.  Yes, I am charging with the walker, and I'll pat myself on the back for that very good decision.  This will buy at least one more round of time to not worry about the flying boyz.

There isn't much shooting to discuss.  A few more boys die.  On the right side the shoota boys are close enough to the lord for him to flame them.  A poor difficult terrain check messes up that plan though and I only get two under the flamer.  The claw is the closest model so if I charge and get 3 kills, then it will die and the rest of the squad will be helpless.  That whole thing just didn't go well and I ended up getting charged and losing the lord in one round.

Back to the center, I charge the harlies and spears at the same squad.  The harlies kill around 12.  I only wasted 1 or 2 wounds.  The spear exarch killed a couple which then prevented my other spears from getting their attacks.  This allowed a claw to kill my last wraithguard in the squad.  The boss tries to squish the farseer, but fortune protects.  The squad is down to spiritseer with the farseer attached.

I won the combat handily and the boss and boys both break.  The boss had separated prior to the charge.  The boss gets away and the boys are killed.  Here is the problem.  My spears are now in the open, in charge range of the boys that had been advancing up the middle.  My harlies don't have to worry about a charge thanks to the walker holding up the flying boys, but the spears are hung out to dry with only a 3" consolidation and no hit and run.

I should have sent the spears into the snikrott cc.  I was worried that I wouldn't finish the boys and boss with the harlie charge, but that didn't really matter.  If I just charged with the harlies two things could have happened.  Either I could have won and made the boys and boss break or I could have won and hit and run away from the cc.  Either way, the boss and boys are running or stuck with a small squad that is probably going to die anyway and is too small to be effective anymore.  Also the spears wouldn't have been left exposed in the center of the board.  If the boss and boys are stuck in the cc and kill off the rest of the squad they are left in the open to be gunned down.  There really was nothing to gain by having the spears charge there.

In his turn he killed the spears with a charge.  I finally win the combat with snickrot making his squad run and killing them with the sweep.  The running boss was too close to the spears so he had to flee again.  The flying boys kill the walker which explodes killing 11 boys (5 or 6 in the flying squad and 5 or 6 in an adjacent squad). ;D  Mission accomplished there.

The harlies charge the squad that killed of the spears and make them run away.  They are below half and can't regroup.  My vyper speeds forward to usher the boss off the board.  Other stuff happens.

The boss comes up less than an inch from the board edge and the vyper is shot down.  In the last two rounds I get charged by the flyers and boys from the left.  One farseer gets instasquished on the last roll of the game.  The hariles get shot up and eventually are all killed.  They are sort of surrounded by orks and have no place to go.

In the end I have one bike and a spiritseer from a wraithguard squad left for around 230 points.  He has about 900 points left--battle wagon, grots, looted vehicle, flyers below half, mech, boss, shoot boys below half, regular boys at full strength.  I probably could have kept the harlies alive if I had pulled the troupe master instead of the shadow seer.  Since he got double points for that squad keeping the last model alive would have netted about a 300 point swing in vps putting me within about 400.  Still a loss, but a bit closer.

If I had done the right thing with the spears, I think I would have been able to sweep my force to the right keeping the flying squad and boys on the left out of most of the battle.  The harlies could have engaged the center boys, then my whole force could have moved toward the shoota boys and likely killed them off as well.  The flyers may have caught up eventually by I had a lord to leave behind to slow them down.  The other boys on the left never would have gotten involved.  If I hadn't lost the shuriken cannon bike, I likely could have run up and killed the looted vehicle with it once the shoota boys had advanced enough.  There was some cover to boost to and hide behind before hopping out to shoot the vehicle.  I think I could have kept both guard squads alive, one below half, the harlies alive, the bikes alive, the spears alives, and the farseers alive, losing the lords, walkers and vypers.  I probably could have killed all but the flyers, large boys squad, battle wagon, grots and looted vehicle and think I would have managed a win.

Oh yeah, one round of horrible shooting by the wraithlord deprived me of a chance to force a leadership check on the flyers at Ld7.  Thanks to some earlier softening fire and the exploding walker they were down to 5-7 (don't quite remember).  The lord fired scatter laser and plasma at them, but failed to record any kills.  They ended up charging and killing him instead.  Making them break may have made enough of a difference to pull out a draw.

Anyway, though I didn't win, it was a good game and I was glad for the challenge.  I think I could have one had I played it better.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
      • Ancient
      • King of the Preemptive Strike
        • klucas.piczo.com
      « Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 02:10:21 PM »
      Wow, sounds like a seriously good game. I am not surprised at the speed and punch of the Orks though, as I have found that Eldar need to kill them before they charge... almost in every instance.

Spears are great; but as you said, your assault was ill placed and left them stranded...

Anyway, I wish you had some Pics as it always makes the BetRep better; but this was a very good BatRep and I too am horrible for actually pausing to get a picture of stuff.

Better luck on your next game, and I would love to hear how a re-match goes, as I think you could take his list.

CaHG
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:39:10 PM by moc065 »
      Join POC: Saim-Hann
      or Read the Guide to Eldar
      or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering