News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathwatch que?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Master Chief

• Constant motion is our way in Warfare
Deathwatch que?
« on: August 10, 2002, 03:19:56 PM »
Hmmm ok I am working up the fluff for my SM chapter but keep hearing things about this 'deathwatch' chapter... are they space marines and what are some of the particulars (colour schemes, specialities, etc)

I'll make my chapter different by totally eschewing the use of fancy speed gear like landspeeders and bikes.. just packing into rhinos (or drop pods) and getting up close and personal, I pity the fool that tries to cityfight vs them :)
Defenders of Terra - Imperial Fists

Offline JiMInY

• What big teeth I have
Re:Deathwatch que?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 06:14:48 PM »
Deathwatch are'nt a chapter theyre a group founded to hunt down and destroy alien threats for imperial armies who are ill equiped to deal with them, they reqruit people from different chapters who are kick ass, basically thyre a hq choice with a few hidden extras, the rulz are in a white dwarf, the same one as imperial fists and grey knights, but alas they are a HQ choice not a chapter that can be fielded
consume the magical plant

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 02:08:42 AM »
I tried out my new Deathwatch squad tonight (7 guys: 2 Vets w/Powerfist and Power Sword, 2 Hvy Bolters w/Suspensor Units, 2 Bolter & CCW, and the Captain -- 400 points with a Rhino!!). They underperformed. Granted, I haven't had much time to figure them out but I'm not sure they are a great points investment. Very cool, but a points sink.

I'm still going to take them to the upcoming RTT though... they look so cool  ;)

Andy

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 06:49:49 PM »
I really really want to get some Deathwatch figs, but I just can't find the rules for them anywhere. Is there anywhere on the net where they can be found?

Please help a homie in need.
“The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself: but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you into eternity.” –Marcus Garvey

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 01:38:49 AM »
US White Dwarf 258.

GW (and 40k.ca and Eldar Online) seem quite particular about not having GW IP posted on the web -- which in this case is silly since it'd only help sell more models. C'est la vie....

Andy

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 08:26:21 PM »
death watch are a chapter and you could have an army of them. you would just have to upgrade every to deathwatch (its about 2-3p). this allows you to get funky ammo but you must always have a bolter but you get the 'true git' ability.

You use normal marines with the special deathwatch sholder pad which can be bought from the GW store online.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2002, 11:53:49 AM »
Ummm, no.

The Deathwatch are not a Chapter, they are the militia of the Inquisition -- the best Marines selected from Adeptus Asartes Chapters.

A Deathwatch squad may only be taken as an HQ choice. Individuals can be added to squads for an additional point cost. Also, only Codex Chapters may use Deathwatch (not Blood Angels, Space Wolves, etc)

Andy

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2002, 09:45:17 PM »
with out looking at the fulff i say your wrong

deathwatch are a chapter

however they are different from every other chapter

the main differences are (wait for it!!!)

a] they are controled by the odus xans(?) part of the inquisition

b] they only have deathwatch kill teams, no normal sm squads/vehicles

c] menbers of the chapter are selected from ALL other chapters and sevre for a set amount of time and then return to there origianal chapter

hopes this helps to clear this up

wellard

ps, at the moment only codex chapters can be part of the deathwatch but gw might relase rules for the other chapters (special chacters!!!!!)

jim
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 11:17:33 PM »
Hey man, believe what you want... but before going out into the real world insisting that DW are a Chapter you really ought to do some reading. I'd start with the "fulff"  :D

Andy

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2002, 11:37:35 PM »
they are a "chapter"
but all the history and command are from the inquisition
the confusion is that they only fight in small squads not major engagments like a codex chapter

they operate like the grey knights small squads under the command of a menber of the inqisition

they have rarely fought as a complete chapter or companies but it could happen!!!

wellard
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2002, 12:07:53 AM »
Space Marine Chapters were created following the Horus Heresy, reformed from the Space Marine Legions of the time. Since that point, many Chapters have been formed using the Gene Seed of First Founding Chapters (Successor Chapters).

The Deathwatch were not a Legion, a First Founding Chapter or a Successor Chapter. They are a martial force (selected from the very best of the Adeptus Astartes) organized, trained and equipped by the Inquisition. Since they are taken from various Chapters, they do not share the same Gene Seed.

They are not a Chapter in any sense of the word.

Andy

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2002, 12:21:34 PM »
i don't agree

they are a chapter. just because they have different gene seeds, and are not formed like a normal chapter they still are a complete brother hood of warriors ergo a chapter!!

the same is true with the grey knights (2nd founding)
but not one of the origanal legions?

also in all fulff they are called the deathwatch Chapter!

wellard

ps why are we desucing(?) this?? ???

wellard

We will remember them

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2002, 02:03:41 PM »
A good way to look at what the Deathwatch Space Marines are is looking at our (USA) military forces.  DW Marines are VERY similar to Special Forces type organizations in that their people come from all diferent types of military wings, but they work for their SF now.

Kinda like some Counterterrorist organizations.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2002, 08:40:05 PM »
Hey, if you define a "Chapter" as being any old group of Space Marines (like a gaggle of geese, or a murder of crows) there's really not much left to talk about.

As far as DW being akin to Special Forces, I disagree there too -- the Special Forces are still under the command of the Military. Deathwatch are not under the command of the Adeptus Astartes, the are an element of the Inquisition. I can't think of a good real-world example... maybe an elite CIA hit-team recruited from Army/Navy/etc?

Andy

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2002, 11:51:05 PM »
Hey, if you define a "Chapter" as being any old group of Space Marines (like a gaggle of geese, or a murder of crows) there's really not much left to talk about.

As far as DW being akin to Special Forces, I disagree there too -- the Special Forces are still under the command of the Military. Deathwatch are not under the command of the Adeptus Astartes, the are an element of the Inquisition. I can't think of a good real-world example... maybe an elite CIA hit-team recruited from Army/Navy/etc?

Andy

Your definition of Chapter is faulty.  A Space Marine Chapter has a NAME and all share the SAME geneseed as their Primarch.

And the Iquisition is is para-military, and the Marines are selected for special Inquisition missions for their tenure of service.  So far sounds very much like special ops.

The Deathwatch are NOT a Chapter in the way Ultramarines or Blood Angels are.  In fact, they're not even close.

But, continue to believe what you will, I won't argue anymore.  At Games Day 2001, I was privvy to hearing some kid ask Gav Thorpe in the Future of 40K seminar if the Deathwatch will be getting a chapter.  His response? No, they're not anything like that, and never will be.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2002, 02:33:40 AM »
Lehman Russ, why are you quoting me then busting my @$$ ?? We agree on this! Deathwatch are not a Chapter and never will be...

Andy

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2002, 02:32:17 PM »
Lehman Russ, why are you quoting me then busting my @$$ ?? We agree on this! Deathwatch are not a Chapter and never will be...

Andy

Holy crap dude, I'm sorry.  Heh, I think the Black Rage was welling up in me and I didn't notice what I was doing.  I'm really sorry about that.

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2002, 03:36:32 PM »
np, I was just confused for a minute there  ;)

Andy