News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: deathwing help  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
deathwing help
« on: August 6, 2002, 09:56:06 PM »
I have decided to start a deathwing army cos they are just so damn hard! Here is the first rough plan:

grand master:
sword of secrets, master crafted lighting claw

5 man deathwing squad
3 lighting claws, assult cannon, sergent with lightning claws

6 man deathwing squad
2 assult cannons

dread
missle launcher, lascannon

dread
assult cannon

dread
assult cannon

landraider crusader
smoke launchers

Da cunning plan:
the dreads will advance with the 6 man squad blasting away while the grand master with the squad with loads of lightning claws zoom foward in the crusader and hack through anything that gets in the way. Its not much of a plan but it is still a plan.

I know there is atleast 2 deathwing players pn this board so help a neophyte Deathwing grand master.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Mystic511

• I *Love* EldarOnline! No, really, i do!
    • Personal Website
Re:deathwing help
« Reply #1 on: August 7, 2002, 01:48:05 AM »
 )not planning on any assault terminators?  If not, any squad with power weapons would chew through your army.

I recommend a squad decked out with storm shields for the invulnerable save and super combat prowress.

(sorry if i don't have all my facts straight, i've only been reading the DA codex casually, though they will probably be my next army.   :) )

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2002, 03:26:22 AM »

)not planning on any assault terminators?  If not, any squad with power weapons would chew through your army.

Dude, he's got 4 terminators armed with Lightning Claws!

I'm not going to pass judgement on this army, since I've never read Codex: Dark Angels.  But out of curiosity, how many points is this list?

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2002, 08:30:26 AM »
roughly 1500p +- 100-200p. It all depends what happens at call to arms next year (what funky missions crop up).

Also is the watcher (lion helm) worth the points? I mean when they jump out of the land raider they will be closely packed and that 3" 4+inv save against shooting could be very useful. plus I have/like the model.

as for storm sheilds; I would have some but the thunder hammer. I mean I would rather have lightning claws than a thunder hammer and storm sheilds.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Cloud runner (brother Ezekiel)

• "Deathwing will be remembered."
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2002, 04:48:25 AM »
Ok here it comes:

First of all, don't bother about the helmet bearer, he's cool but he's too expensive. 35 pts for a better save in shooting AND your opponent can get it too, if he is within the aura.

My god, your commander is a rip off. First of all you forgot the armour he should be wearing. 10 pts for that. Thats up to 90 pts. The thing you could do now is have him equipped with a sword of secrets, master crafted, and a combi meltagun. That'd be a tough model.

Another thing to consider is that the thunder hammers can be quite nasty in hth, first of all, they have a 4+ inv save against those nasty characters, and the characters will always try to kill your thunder hammer, even it does'nt instant kill him, for if he fails his inv. save he is either killed or stunned, hitting after the thunder hammer in the next hth.

Lightning claws are useless against tanks, remember that.

The good thing with the Deathwing is that you can mix your termies as you wish, creating nice combos in hth, like this:
Your crusader swoops up to the enemy, Out comes eight terminators, three lightning claws, one captain with sword, two flamer/fist, one thunder hammer, and a chainfist. This little group can take on any opponent, they beat both tanks and troops.

Moving on to the dreads...
first of all... why two assault cannons? They can have twin linked heavy bolters instead ;) That's way cooler. Just buy them in plastic format, slice off the assault cannon from the arm, and put two heavy bolters on top of each others in its place. ;) It's also much better because they re-roll all misses.

Another thing you could try out is to have a command squad, they are terminators, can have the apothecary, standard bearer and tech marine, and their various upgrades+ this cool tactic. You remember the heavy flamer I put in to the assault termies,  well if you do the same here+ your leader, your sergeant, the tech marine, the apothecary and the standard bearer all go with combi bolter flamers.... hehehehehe..... I'll probably try it out today.
"Perhaps a favour. In honour of our dead, leave the suits the colour of
Deathwing. The deeds of our brothers should be remembered."

-brother Ezekiel to Brother captain Gabrielle

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2002, 01:00:12 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that you can not mastercraft a Sword of Secrets.

Also, this army is going to do VERY well, even against armies with power weapons.  No army except Orks would do well against it.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 08:26:51 AM »
Revised armylist (ooh Ahh)

Grandmaster
termi armour, sword of secrets, mastercrafted lighting claw, lion helm, purity seals (WYSIWYG)

why?
well he and his squad are meant to break the defences, SMASH SMASH SMASH. If all things go smoothly they will get into CC in the first round and with teh new assult rules coming in next month I would rather have the extra attack. Oh about the lion helm, well the model is cool and I won't get CHEESE shouted at me for taking a iron halo. When the squad get out of the land raide rthey will be bunched together and that 4+ save could come in handy.

5 man deathwing squad
3 lighting claws, assult cannon, sergent with lightning claws

Why?
these guys will break the lines supported by the grand master. The 4 lightning claws will make mice meat of pretty much anything and the assult cannon is one of the best close range assult weapons around. i mean 3 S6 (I think), AP4 shots!

6 man deathwing squad
2 assult cannons
Why?
These will advance with the 2 dreads (more on that later), as long as none of the heavy weapons go down I will get 12 assult cannon shots which is pretty sweet.

2 dreads
assult cannons
Why?
Everything counts in numbers. So I hit on 3s, with my luck I will miss most of them. plus assult cannons rule. They will advance with the chaplin and 6 man squad blasting everything away.

land raider crusader
smoke launchers
Why?
Duh, to carry the 5 (6 or 7 with characters) termies. Smoke launchers to keep it alive longer.

I may drop a dread so that I can include a command squad (mainly for the funky banners) or I may add a chaplin cos they are so cool. The army is still in the planning stages so nothing is final.

I think I am gonna have to pull out the green stuff soon and start on my grand master.

now onto the modelling questions:
I was thinking of putting all my infantry onto 40mm bases so that each one can be a sort of mini diorama. The laind raider will be put on a base too (make it look even bigger). These will all fit into a display/carrying base. I will need to grab peoples attention to make them come over and look more closely at the army.

My aim is the players choice award. I think I might just be able to pull of the coolest army.

I will not use trasfers, I will use a transfer to map out a green stuff copy that I will make a mold of. Each guy will have a green stuff broken sword instead of a silly transfer (ok it is more because I suck with transfers). It will also allow me to shade the broken swords.

Each of the seregents and the grand master will have a big hand painted banner, when you line them up it will tell the story of the betrayal.

questions? comments please!

moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2002, 12:13:10 PM »
Really cool man, but hey, if you use 40mm bases wont that affect your games quite a lot? Anyway, cool idea. ;)

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2002, 01:03:17 AM »
yes 40mm bases will effect the game alot but hey- win or lose, I'll always look better than the opponent ;):D
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 03:23:51 AM »
By the way, nowhere does it say that you cannot mastercraft the sword of secrets, and if nobody can prove to you that you can't master-craft the thing then you can. ;)

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 04:19:37 PM »
By the way, nowhere does it say that you cannot mastercraft the sword of secrets, and if nobody can prove to you that you can't master-craft the thing then you can. ;)

I know, I have to go searching for it.  When I read what I read though, it was a Q&A sort of thing somewhere that said the answer was "The Sword of Secrets is already a ten millenia old artifact that hasn't lost it's edge in that entire time.  Such a thing is already crafted as perfectly as it can get."

Now, I'ma gonna try searching for where I heard that line, and if I never get back to you, I've died in my quest.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 08:50:48 PM »
After much thinking I have decided to drop the Land Raider Crusader. Why? Drop pods my friend, drop pods. That extra 255p will allow me to take a 3rd dread (with lascannon and missle launcher) and possibly add to my termie squads. I may include a chaplain if teh points are avalible. Comments?
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 04:35:47 PM »
I'd say you'd have to see which opponent you play against. But it shouldn't matter much really, since the land raider will divert most of the enemys fire upon itself, saving your termies and the dread wont do much more in the army than the raider could have done. Droppods are good but when it's no deep-strike you get problems, and when you get the recoil the turn after your deep-striking, things will get ugly. ;)

One last thing though, as the dread is cheaper to buy I suggest that you go with that first. If you later on want a Raider then you can buy it then.

Offline Wofen

• The lone Wolf
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2002, 02:58:07 AM »
One thing you have to remember about Deathwing is that thay are weak. This might sound really dumb, but you have to remember that you will often by out numbered 1 to 4. And that vs SM's.

Also, Deathwing also live one the fact that the other army can not shoot you with everything thay have. You are a small army, and you have to use that to your advantage.

One thing i would also say, is that you should have one Land Raider for evey troop squad, if you dont, you will often lose any modle that is not in a LR first turn.

If you dont want to have that meny LR's, then i would do what i did before i got my 4. put the 2 land raiders in front of any troop that is not in one. Then use you Dreads to stop fire lanes to them.

Wofen
Back again after 5 years.....

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2002, 10:48:03 AM »
Arrrgggghhhh! I have re-read the rules and I will keep the LRC. I though that you could ALWAYS use drop pods regardless.
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2002, 03:01:48 AM »
First of all... my terminators rarely get shot down that fast. They also have a nice punch in shooting making them powerful all around models. The fast that they are few makes them vulnerable to shooting but they are also powerful in hth because they never flee, and they often win the combats.

Secondly, have you got any idea how powerful the drop pods would have been then scars? Hehe... let me rephrase that. You and your opponent plays, there are no deep strike rules. Suddenly half your army comes out of nowhere and slaughters his army in shooting, firing flamers and Acannons alike + all the storm bolter. That would have been nice. :D

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2002, 08:50:48 PM »
ok yourve convinced me, the drop pods are back.
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 03:02:58 AM »
One thing though... when they use the drop pods I am nto certain if they can use their teleport mechanism instead. If they can then you could have each squad have a teleport homer. That'd let your army be teleported anywhere on the field and get concentrated enough to pose a serious threat to the enemy.

Offline The Death Jester

• Dwarfs are short, burly, stubborn, and defensive.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2002, 07:42:48 PM »
TERMIES HAVE A 5+ INV SAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry just had to tell every one that.
There is nothin' as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."
- Old Dwarf Saying

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2002, 09:20:20 AM »
uhhhhhhhh yeah, We all knew that.
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party