News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Tale of Four Gamers 2009  (Read 49516 times)

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: A Tale of Four Gamers 2009
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
What an awesome months painting. Absolutely incredible painting guys. Stu - those grey knights look incredible. Some top notch work guys.

Offline lijah_cuu

• Best Painted Hellhound; Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
Lovely work all round!! The rhino looks amazing mate! Going to enjoy blowing that up first turn..... :D
Only one thing i've noticed on your marines: Do you not paint their fingers? or are you going to wait until you've stuck on the bolters?

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
Alright mate, yep I don't doubt for one minute that my Rhino will last, well about one minute....

Never mind though I've enjoyed painting it so far, and if nothing else it'll make an attractive bit of scenery! ;)

As for the fingers I was going to leave them black to be honest (although once I've stuck the bolters on I will highlight them up to grey).

I quite like the idea that the fingers of the power armour would be made of a different material, almost part of the bodyglove underneath.

I don't think Plas Steel would be flexible enough to make fingers capable of holding stuff.

I did it on the scouts and it turned out ok, but I'll wait til I get the bolters stuck on first.

What do you think, should I do them blue instead?

And I have to agree with Yan, great stuff all round guys, but where are those Guard mate? Did you still want to grab some plastics off me?
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »
Thinking about it - whoever has a lascannon in their  squad will be a pain in the first game..oh, look, a rhino with all your troops in...zzap! now walk the rest of the way...
I've always thought of the gloves having little armour plates over each bit of the finger just leaving the joints free to move. But then. power armour never did make much sense!

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
Here are the finished pics of my Rhino. Im now really looking forward to painting up my World Eaters next.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 05:16:35 AM »
That Rhino is really nice mate, it looks really gribbly!

The boils and pustules on the front are suitably rank! And it's a nice brown too, although I can't say what it reminds me of on a family forum!  ::)

I also think the weathering turned out nice, was that the foam sponge thing you were talking about?

Well I have to say that I got a surprising amount done last nigh which was unexpected!

After having dinner and cleaning my flat (damn you real life!) I managed to get all the edge highlighting finished on my Rhino and started on the gold eagle on the front. This means it is pretty much finished, just got the tracks and decals to do, and maybe add some detailing here and there, but it will definitely count as "painted on time" so that's 5 points for me

However it looks like everybody else will also get 5 points too as i think we are all done. So well done guys, great work from everybody! And I only have 6 figures to paint next month for my 250 points which is a relief, although I am starting to worry about my army composition, need more anti tank.....

Still I am quite pleased with everything so far, and I am very pleased at how well the format is working out, it seems to be really helping motivate everybody and the results have been fantastic.

I am just hoping that I am not going to be ill for the first game though. I seem to have caught some sort of lurgy, or am allergic to something as I am covered in an itchy rash and feel like c*$p!

It also looks pretty definite that Stuart may not be able to make the first game on 7th Feb as this is the day he is moving house, but I am sure we can sort something out.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »
Cheers mate!
 A lot of the weathering was done by a mix of foam, brillo pad and a HB pencil (must try and get hold of  softer one.).
I wasn't too impressed with the foam, maybe I need to try a selection of different foams to get one that works the best but honestly don't know if i'm that bothered!
I think im going to try and get hold of some mig weathering pigments for when I do the next one as i'd really like to go to town on it. Let me know if you want to order some as well.

Offline kototama

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
They look much better there - badab black wash?

No I didn't in the end, despite my ranting about the washes taking several coats to do much, I found for once that badab black over the granite darkened it too much again so I highlighted with battlegrey and despite making a hash of the highlights it worked out ok from a distance.

I recently finished a 7000pt black templar army (painted black oddly) which followed on from a 4000pt tyranit army which I painted using a dark scheme (have a nose at http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff258/geekfilth/IMG_0309.jpg?t=1233249321 ) so rather than create another dark coloured army, I wanted to keep the grey nits much lighter. For reasons I can't really explain the terminators have come out much better than the guys in power armour. Maybe it's a scale thing - the terminators were much more fun to paint and the bases came out much better due to the larger rocks I was able to place on the 40mm bases.

That plague marine rhino is looking awesome. Shame I've not really got any heavy hardware to twonk it on turn one just after Chris's rhino is wiped out by the plague marines. Nothing like a few rhinos on the field for target practice. Maybe I should redesign my army and field a land raider on round one........

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 04:30:52 AM »
Those GK's are looking lovely mate! Never been up against them before so looking forward to seeing how they play.
Instead of having a break between now and my next batch of fw goodies I think i'm going to crack on with my Ultramarines and finish off the redeemer I have in my display case.
 I have a few bits and pieces of half finished work that I want to complete - mainly just the left overs from the SM spearhead last year - scout bikes, vanguard, and the characters. The problem is as I don't use them in my normal lists I haven't really beeen bothered to paint them up but im hoping the momentum i've gained in the last few weeks will spur me on.

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #49 on: February 1, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »
Loverly Rhino mate - but but although you put on some weathering, there seems to be a lack of smoke effects. normally, i'd suggest a subtle drybrush of deep browns and blacks around the exhaust posts, but here i think something a litte less subtle is required. Perhaps thick clouds of smoke drifting up from the smouldering, cratered wreakage, as indded you pointed out, it might as well be modelled in the way it will spend the majority of the game.
Talk is cheap, and all this painting will only be seen if it's on the winner podium.
Time for the first months battle!   

Offline kototama

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers
« Reply #50 on: February 2, 2009, 01:25:46 PM »
Those GK's are looking lovely mate! Never been up against them before so looking forward to seeing how they play.

Thanks, as long as you don't look too closely I'm reasonably pleased with them. The big thing for me is that for the first time (ever) I've managed to paint a cape that does not look like it was done by a four year old, this has always been a painting equivalent of writers block for me.

I've no idea how they are going to play either. Am slightly concerned I'm going to get a severe malky - they are expensive and look pokey enough but they die just as easily as anything else (cept guard but there is so many of them they can afford a bit if dying) and having only 6 per squad, I suspect I may not have any left by the time they close the range. They also have no heavy weapons either.

Guess I'll have to hope the rest of you concentrate so much on littering the board with rhino wreckage that it allows me to sneak up you all.

Really not looking forward to those plague marines either. On paper they look far too hard to kill. Maybe Chris could roll their saves for them......

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #51 on: February 2, 2009, 03:36:49 PM »
Im not going to allow him in the room when im rolling the dice, let alone him doing it for me!!!

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #52 on: February 4, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
Made a start on my test world eater tonight and not all that happy with him, having real trouble working out how to highlight him as im not sure what mix of colours to use - have tried scab red with bleached bone as I didn't want it to turn pink.
Still have to sort out the right shoulder pad and i'm not sure what colour (if any) to do the gauntlets.

Any suggestions??

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #53 on: February 5, 2009, 03:23:03 AM »
Ussually oranges are used to highlight reds... whether thats a mix of orange and red or straight orange is up to you and personal preference.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #54 on: February 5, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
Hey mate,

You are a painting Daemon!

I am still struggling through my first month's painting.....

Anyway about the World Eater.

It's a bit tricky ti see from the pic as the colours are a tiny bit washed out but I have some suggestions for you. Although I wouldn't mind having a look at it in the flesh so maybe on Saturday bring him with you?

I think to be honest he could do with some deeper shading to provide a bit more contrast.

I would run some Devlan Mud wash along the recesses of his armour to darken them back down a bit. Plus the fact his armour woud be bllod red which often has a brown tinge to it.

Red is a bugger to paint, and I know what you mean about not wanting it to turn pink. I always use bleached bone to highlight reds as it has a yellow enough tinge to stop pinkness without turning reds orange.

However I always use a mix of chaos black, blood red and bleached bone when I do reds, but this might be a bit too red if you know what I mean.

I can show you how it turns out as the back of my Black Templar sergeant's banner is painted like this, but I don't have any pics right now.

But I reckon run some wash along the recesses to provide contrast and then do a bit of spot highlighting so he pops.

You could use the same wash on the golds if you wanted to tie it in, but tbh they look fine as they are.

I have to say though that those Forge world bits are lovely, but I see what you mean about the detail being very fine. Is this the only one you have basecoated so far?

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #55 on: February 5, 2009, 05:38:54 AM »
Cheers mate!
I have 5 others that i've airbrushed the base red but he's the only one that i've done any more to.
On the others I can use more washes and a little highlighting before I put anymore detail on them, im also trying not to use too much gold on them (although i've actually been using dwarf bronze as it virtually identical to shining gold, but goes on a hell of a lot better.) as I don't want them to look to 'bling'.
I may actually have to pick up one of those magnifying lamp things as my eyes aren't able to pic up some of the detail on his right shoulder pad - its just too small!

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #56 on: February 6, 2009, 06:37:34 AM »
Had another little go on my test world eater last night. Have used Chris's advice and put more wash in all the recesses which has helped considerably and a little more tidying up on the gold,etc, so hes looking a lot better  have yet to add anymore highlights as I didn't have much time last night.
Haven't bothered posting any pics as I still haven't sorted the lighting out yet but I will bring him down tomorrow to Bromley.

Have also ordered in magnets (1mm, 2mm, and 6mm) for my nurgle dreadnought and some daylight bulbs so I can actually see what im doing for once!

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #57 on: February 8, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
Our First Skirmish

As announced at the beginning of the thread, the whole point of this challenge was to put together a credible gaming army and to play them. After a months painting, it was time to put what we'd painted to the test. We choose Bromely GW's gaming room as this was close to Stu (who probably earned himself some serious doghouse points for nipping off in the middle of moving house), Chris, and Ben. Sadly, we'd picked the release day for all the lizardmen stuff and the branch was packed with kids, and a huge apocalypse game dominated the usually quite quiet gaming room.

Unfortunately, I live miles away from Bromely, so by the time I got there Chris and Ben had already fought their battle, with Ben's Plague Marines easily beating Chris's Ultramarines. As I unpacked, Chris explained that we would all be fighting annihilation battles on a 3X4 board using the Dawn of War escalation. Which I knew would work ok-ish for my fragile guard platoon.
This months 250pts for me was going to be: a very basic command squad with a junior officer armed with a bolter, two ten man squads to make up the platoon with no special or heavy weapons. and to give this manpower some punch, a veteran squad with two melta-guns. From the boards, I knew that both Chris and Ben Would be fielding Rhinos, so i figured infiltrating meltas that I could position against his armour would be important.

My first game was against Ben, and after catching up and admiring each others figures, we promptly forgot about the dawn of war rules. I reckoned this was going to be the toughest fight of the day, with Ben fielding a Rhino and nine Plague Marines, with one armed with a melta (all fearless, and feeling no pain, with toughness 5 vs my little flashlight pop guns). I knew it would simply come down to the weight of my shooting dice to his resistance and aggression in melee. Typical for guard, my ambush with my veterans failed utterly. Both meltas missed and the unit was quickly dispatched by the marines. I now had two units in cover and another on a hill at the back to whittle down the oncoming chaos corruption. Cutting a long story short, they failed. The rearmost unit was tankshocked and blocked from firing by the rhino, while the marines chewed through one then the other unit. While the morale tests worked for me, the vital rounds of rapid firing lazguns didn't. Cest la vie. There wasn't much about this battle i would have changed (except the dice rolling), everything went well tactically, and I did kill 4 plague marines, but I was wiped. Next month I'll have the points to add some much needed punch to my army and we'll see what happens then.

While we were playing this, Chris fought Stu's Grey knights - all 6 of them. No really, that's what you get for 250pts. Three with force halberds, one with a flamer and one with a psycannon I think. This was a much closer game than mine and Ben's, and the two sides hammered eachother down to lone figures, but in the end the Grey Knights determination won out. In the post match analysis, Chris remembered about some rules that would have swung it for him, but that was all after the event. Sadly, Stu had to leave at this point for fear of never being allowed into his new house, which is fair enough and shows what a hardcore gamer he is for managing to be there at all.

Then it was me and Chris. Chris produced a rhino, a five man tactical squad, and a five man scout squad with a heavy bolter. He was going to put the scouts in reserve and flank them, and push forward with his rhino. Luckily for me, the board had been laid out with a bottleneck of hills half way down. I put my veterans on one hill, with just the sarge, and meltas exposed. As the Ultra marines rhino trundled towards them popping smoke to conceal it's advance, both melta opened fire and for once did their thing! Two penetrating hits - vehicle destroyed on turn one! What was better, as was the fact that only 3 tactical marines staggered from the flaming molten debris and into the massed fire of the guard platoon. Luckily, for Chris, his flanking Scouts now appeared and promptly shot up my veterans before assaulting them. Demoralised by this sudden attack they broke and ran for cover, but were cut down like the cowards they were by the faster marines. This however left the scouts out in the open facing the vengeful ranks of the guard. With no cover to save them, the lazguns made short work of slaughtering them before they could engage another unit. Flawless Victory as they say in Mortal Combat.

So, one game lost, one game won, one game differed till next month. Everyone else took loads of pics, so with luck you should all see a visual record of the day's battle soon.   

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #58 on: February 8, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
Thanks to Dakota for the post game debriefing! I really enjoyed playing the small games yesterday; fast and brutal - literally 20 minutes a game (if you don't natter too much!).
Everyone's figures were looking lovely - kudos to Ian for doing a lovely job on all those guard, Chris for his usual unbelievable attention to detail and amazing clean lines and finishing, and Stu's fantastic GK's - I think the grey is much, much better than the normal boltgun / mithril silver finish; makes them look much more 'real' (if that makes sense!). Thanks to everyone for the positive comments on my Nurgle boys - Im looking forward to painting the next lot.
Chris was cursed with his amazing number of 1's rolled in each game, apart from when he needed to take moral checks when as per the norm he rolled lots of 6's.....
I think the extra 250 points will make a huge difference to next months games.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #59 on: February 8, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
My finished test World Eater.
Thanks to Chris for his advice on how to finish him off, has made a huge difference. Have also found the website for those bases we saw yesterday, will post that tomorrow.
As always the pics aren't fantastic.