News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What do you Think?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Dark Prince

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
What do you Think?
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »
Well looking at the Thunder Hawk, one thing it doesn't have is fighter support?

I am thinking of designing a smaller version of the Thunder Hawk for fighter support.

Something like : Twin engine : Twin Laser turret on top, 4 x hvy Twin bolter's and air to air missiles. Loose the top set of wings but have a twin tail, same sort of body shape as the thunder hawk but a lot slimmer.

If you have any idea's just say, and we will see what we can come up with.

Dark

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: What do you Think?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
In my opinion, it's a poor idea.

The Thunderhawk is really more than capable of looking after itself, considering how heavily armed and armoured it is. Four twin-linked heavy bolters, a twin-linked lascannon and missiles also seems a little much for a fighter. The mainstay Imperial fighter, the Thunderbolt, only mounts a pair of twin-linked autocannons and a twin-linked lascannon.

If the Space Marines need fighter support, I'm sure the Imperial Navy will happily provide. Fighter crews aren't the place for Space Marines.

Offline Dark Prince

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »
Yes it may be heavy armoured, but under fighter attack no chance, a ship of that size would not be able to manover good enough, just like the old American bombers of WW2 hvy armoured but still needed fighter support.

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »
Which could easily be provided by the Imperial Navy.

As I said, I don't think the cockpit of a fighter is the right place for a Space Marine. He'd be much more use on the ground killing things than he would be in the air protecting a Thunderhawk. This fighter is trying to fill a niche that doesn't actually need filling.

Given that the Space Marines will rarely operate on their own, I can't invisage them ever needing such a machine. A flight of Imperial Navy Thunderbolts would be just as good at providing air cover, and they'd allow more Marines to be on the ground where they can be useful.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
And if Marines do end up on their own, they do have fighter support. Other Thunderhawks. When a flying Land Raider bristling with Lascannons, Heavy Bolters, and a gaint cannon needs backup, the only thing that could help really is other Thunderhawks.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Dark Prince

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »
Thats OK if the Imperial Navy are around when SM are attacking or defending. but there are many cases where they are not around.
still a good debating point.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 05:52:40 PM »
My post above deals with when SM are not around. And besides, when you have that much armor, you really don't need manouverability.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
In most cases where Space Marines are deployed, they are fully supported by the other Imperial armed forces.

The Space Marines actually require support. Not since the days of the Heresy have they been capable of acting as an autonomous fighting force. They simply aren't numerous enough to hold a line or attack a fortress, which is why they're the shock troops of the Imperium. Pure and simple. They go in, cause a lot of damage and then leave.

In the rare cases where they do act alone, it tends to be in very small scale actions, or against other Space Marines.