News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Building Eldar Jetbikes & Characters (a How to)  (Read 16147 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Building Eldar Jetbikes & Characters (a How to)
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:53:19 AM »
Building a Jetbike Character.

I have done several variants over the years for Jetbike Farseer’s, Autarch’s and Warlock, and I have also modified other Jetbike figures such as Shining Spears and Standard Guardian Jetbikes, just so that I could have some variety within my army… A number of people have asked me how I did some of these conversions, etc.. so with this in mind, this page will try and cover my “How To” build a Jetbike Character. But first off, here are some pictures of my different Jetbike Variants (click on images to see full size)

So now that you have seen some of the final products lets look at how some of them became what they are.

Standard Jetbikes Because they too can use a little attention from time to time.

• OK, you grab your basic pieces (on the right of picture #1)... cut them off the sprue, and clean up the mold lines prior to assembly.
  • You then find that want to alter some of the riders heads etc so you gather some appropriate parts and clean them up too (see pic #2). Make sure these are all cleaned up too, and try and test fit parts to make sure you can actually put them together somehow. Cutting and Filing will probably be requried, and I like to look at Fantasy Elves and the Dark Eldar for parts that are close to the right ssize and fit.I never altered the Jetbikes, so they went straight together as seen in the background; but I left the canopies NOT glued, so that painting would be easier.
  • Now picture #3 shows the riders onthe Jetbikes, and please note that I don't glue them on, as its too hard to paint them that way, and their tougher to pack up for travel.
  • Picture #4 has the first stages of Paint going on the Jetbikes.
  • And picture #5 has them with a Vyper, and you may note that the weapons have changed as I wasn't happy with the first ones, so I opted for the Metal Howlling Banshee Sword arms that I had in an old Bitz box instead.

Now you may always have a Shuriken Cannon handy for use on your Standard Jetbikes. So here is how you can make them.

Making a Jetbike Shuri-Cannon

• Cut off one side of the Catapult as in Pic #1.
  • Pictures #2 and #3 have you Glue the piece onto the other side of Catapult after flipping it over to fit it end to end.
  • Pic #4 shows how to build a piece from sprue and add it to the top as a site.
  • And Pic #5, show it after a little file work, paint, etc..(check it out amongst the others - also note that those arms I build for the other Jetbikes and didn't use, actually look good with this paint scheme, so they have been put into service. Also note that I have added a Warlock to this squad; and a simple Dark Eldar Front end (trimmed) and painted to match the scheme worked very well).

OK, you have mastered the Standard Guardian Jetbike and now wish to move on to a Warlock... I have a couple varients; but I will show you what I did for one, and then as I can I will add pictures of others.

Making a Jetbike Warlock

• OK for my Jetbike Warlocks I didn't go too crazy, I figures a simple swap of a few parts would be suffecient. So I rumadged through the Bitz box and cam up with an old Dark Eldar Jetbike (or 5 - anyway, the bits are worth the purchase of the thing if you need to)... Picture #1 and #2 show how I swapped out the Front end of the Eldar Jetbike for the Dark Eldar front, and how I also chopped and swapped the rear side fins. Nothing too major, and I also used some of the DE rider parts to trick out my Warlock figure a little (note the sword made from a Fantasy Dark Elf spear head as well).
  • Picture #3 shows how I used a reversal paint scheme to also help set the Warlock apart from his squad. Also note that I removed the Scythes from the front end to make it a little less Dark Eldar in feel...
  • Pic #4 is a close up of the Rider so you can pick out some details.
  • And pic #5 shows the Warlock in with his Squad...

OK, now that you have a squad or two built, lets get a leader in there.

Making an Autarch on Jetbike
Now I know that GW puts out a figure for this; but they didn't always, and some people like to do their own anyway..  Thus I will do two figures of ones that I did.. and Your always welcome to make one straight out of the box...

Autarch Method one, using the box set and adding to it
  • Pic #1 show the standard Box set parts, assembled.
  • Pic #2 has the parts that I chose to use, as well as some I got out of the Bitz box to modify the Jetbike itself, take particualr note of the old Dark Eldar bits as they are from the back end of a bike that was left over from a previous Warlock conversion above.
  • Pic #3 & #4 show the Jetbike asembled, note how I chopped the DE bike apart, flipped its seat around to have the Fule cell atach to the Exhaust, and then put it into the regular Eldar Jetbike parts to give it a real "Low Rider" feel.
  • Pic #5 Shows the Jetbike Painted, and the rider in his seat. Note that I had to use heat (boiled the kettle for this) so that I could re-position his legs without damaging the metal.
  • Pic #6 shows the whole thing with paint.
  • Pic #7 shows how I removed the front canopy and a small section of the front stabalizer to make room for his Weapon upgrade.
  • Pic #8 & #9 show how I attached a Rare Earth Magnet into this section so that the Weapon would be interchangable for game purposes.
  • Pic #10 Shows the little Fusion Gun I built with soem Green Stuff and a part of an old Weapon (Metal EML I think, maybe a BL) that I had in the Bitz box, I also added a Rare Earth Magnet to this component so it pops on pretty easy.
  • The final picture shows what the Autarch on Jetbike looks like with the Fusion Gun attached.

Method 2, using an Autarch and a Standard Jetbike
  • Sorry but no big run down on this one as I did it a while back; but here are a few pictures of a standard Autarch (the one with the Wings) that was chopped (with a dremal tool) to remove his legs. Then he was put onto a Standard Jetbikers legs and mounted to the Jetbike. After that was done, I searched the Bitz box and found an old Shrieker Cannon that I turned into his laser Lance. I then used some Green stuff to help make the Wings attach more seamlessly, and for the Fusion Gun conversion (as per Autarch in above section). Finally I use Green Stuff to sculp a set of raised Flames on the front of his Jetbike so that he would be a little more flavourful.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:21:48 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
How other do their Jetbikes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
Here I will put some links to some threads I found that show off some more Character JB builds.

How -Ulfhedinn - did an Autarch and Council on JB to like like this.

How - Farseer Lael - did some of his Characters on Jetbikes

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:56:34 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Pic of more Jetbike characters
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »
OK, I went and did some research to find ideas on how others have built there Characters on Jetbikes and here is some of what I found. (click on thumbnails to enlarge them as usual). And please remember that none of this is my work... as the owner should get full credit for their great work.

And I will find more later on, as this was just a quick research project to get things started.

PS, if you have a pic or series of pics you want added, then PM me... I will ensure that you get full acreditation of course.

CaHG
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:18:49 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Building Eldar jetbiek Characters (a How to)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
Now some more research actually found me linking into a guys site where he built a Jetbike Character and gave some details... So I although I will include a link to his page... .. I am also giving a quick over view here.

• First picture has him assembling some parts from the OOP Harlequin line, some Battle Field Gothic stuff, and some standard Eldar parts.
  • Second Picture has it coming together and getting cleaner.
  • Last pic shows the final product... there is a better rundown if you follwo the link; but I think these three pics actually sum it up.

PS... If you have a rundown that you would like to show, PM me and I will add it here with full acreditation for you or course... thanks.

CaHG
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:55:31 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Building Eldar jetbiek Characters (a How to)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:57:19 AM »
Reserved for future entiry

CaHG

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Building Eldar Jetbikes & Characters (a How to)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
I have been able to make a few characters for my Saim-Hann army with very little conversions.  Here is a summary of the riders that I have completed.

Autarch
This was the easiest to convert.  I used a spare Shinning spear figure and a Fire Pike from the Fire Dragon Exarch.  I cut off the right handlebar in order for the spear to fit on the torso, attached the shimmer shield to the guardian jetbike rider’s left arm, and cut & glued the fire pike to fit under the bike.  The mandiblasters were made from Green Stuff and attached to the collar of the shinning spear rider.

Farseer with spear
All I used for this was a guardian jetbike rider and the older pewter Farseer with spear model.  I decided to cut off the ‘antlers’ of the helmet to reduce drag while zooming around on a jetbike.  I used one antler on back of the bike to make it stand out from my other jetbikes.  I then cut the Farseer torso below belt, attached a guardian jetbike left arm and wrapped the left arm and legs in green stuff for a sleeve and skirt.

Warlock squad
Materials used: Shinning spear riders, Dire Avenger Exarch weapons and Shinning Spear Exarch swords.  I decided to go the easy way with this squad and just use the parts I had, plus a few weapon auctions I won.  The only converting process was cutting the Dire Avenger Exarch spear to make it a short sword and trim the arms so they fit on the SS torsos.  This is a very easy conversion and I recommend it to anyone starting a Saim-Hann army.

Warlocks attached to Guardian Jetbike squads
These were the first of my creations using bits that I had lying around.  They were easy to make, and all use the standard guardian jetbike torso, legs and arms.  The heads are all from the guardian box set and the weapons are from other eldar kits.  The major work done to the models is to add the new heads, which are actually simple to do.  First, I sawed off the second edition helmet and trimmed down the area around the mouth to make the neck area clean.  Next, I used a drill to create a neck hole for the guardian helmet to fit in.  For the rune armor, I sanded down the chest and used green stuff to create a simple rune look.  With the last warlock I made, I just painted the rune instead of using the green stuff.  This was a mistake on my part, as I realized it didn’t have the rune after I painted the body. 

For the witchblade arms, I used the shinning spear Exarch arm and the older metal Dire Avenger Exarch arm from the 8 man box set.  The spears are from the current Dire Avenger box set and Jain Zar.

Warlock Jetbikes
I wanted my warlock jetbikes to stand out a bit from their squad by adding something to the back of the bike.  After digging through my bits box, I found two spines from the wave serpent sprue and decided to attach them behind the seat.  I cut out the triangular section of the back of the bike, trimmed the spine flat and used green stuff to make it smooth.  This added a bit of character to my warlock bikes without making them stand out too much. 

I only have 2 guardian Jetbike squads that I run with warlocks, and depending on the rest of the army, I will alternate between spears and witchblades.  I decided to not glue the warlocks on the bikes so I can just swap the riders as needed.

Guardian Jetbikes
Materials used; Guardain legs and arms from jetbike riders, torso and heads from guardian box set.  Drill a hole for torso in the guardian jetbike rider's legs, add green stuff around the waist to smooth it out and trim the backpack and seat for the arms to fit. 

Making a shuriken cannon
Moc's way is cheap to make a shuriken cannon, but I wanted to make one out of the shuriken cannon that comes with the Vyper.  They are just about the same size and any one with Vypers has a few of these lying around.  You can also use the new plastic shuriken cannons.  I believe they are a little larger, but the process should be the same.  I also have a metal shuriken cannon that I used for comparison.

Step 1
Cut the bottom rail off and cut right behind the ammo feed. 

Step 2
Cut the left shuriken catapult off and round the right catapult. Glue the cannon on when you get it to line up.

Step 3
Add some green stuff to smooth out the gaps and to add strength.

Complete jetbike
Here are pictures of my finished jetbike shown with a jetbike that has a metal cannon.  The two are very similar.  The plastic cannon is just a little bigger, but it cost me an hour of my time;D  You can also see my new placement of the nut to center the bike above the base.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:55:26 PM by GoofyCommy »

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »
i will post my warlock and farseer later today with a little how 2 if you dont mind.
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »
I'm currently working on a Farseer with witchblade made from Elf and shinning spear bits.  I'm making sure to take pictures at each step this time. 

Does anyone have any idea how to mark the powers on the warlocks?  I plan on using the ones with larger swords as enhance and the smaller swords as embolden, but I have 4 more that look the same.  I am thinking of putting a magnet on the base and have magnetized markers/labels to show which power each warlock has. 

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
well i know GW sells the small flying bases you could buy then and write the powers on the bottem of them.

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
Just stylize the paint a little for each (different Head Patterns) or something like that... I will make another Happy face for 2 with Enbolden, and second Sad face for 2 with Destructors/Enhance... and then the DE fronts can be standard guys, etc....

CaHG

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 02:31:33 AM »
These can be seen at my new thread.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=180200.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:31:28 AM by Farseer Lael »
Lael Treventhius.
Farseer of the Craftworld Treventhius Psychic Warhost.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
yes i agree, those look awsome!

good job, keep it up

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »
Nice to see we got more warlocks up here.  Great job there Farseer Lael.  You're much more patient with converting than me.

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
Converting warlocks always make me nervous though. You just have to get over chopping the model up so it basically just its torsa and arms seperate. Last night I change the last warlock shown to have a sword rather that is spear, and that took me at least an hour to do, so its certaintly a patient process.

Painting however its want really dauts me. I haven't seriously painted in years and conversion seem to still be screaming at me to finish before I want to start painting. I still have 3 more warlocks I want to convert, and each I want to have a slightly different pose. I don't want to have the same pose for one as I see them as characters who need to be different. The biggest problem is basically working out the pose before I start converting.

I've started my own page. Thanks Moc. However I never took any pics during the autarch conversion, never really think to. Will endevour to do it next time I convert a warlock.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:34:23 AM by Farseer Lael »
Lael Treventhius.
Farseer of the Craftworld Treventhius Psychic Warhost.