News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?  (Read 41826 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?
« on: April 25, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
Now that many of you have actually touched it rather than seen the contents through more dubious means, what do you like and/or dislike?

Remember copyright, you don't need to exactly explain the change to explain your feelings. Now, on the codex, show me where it touched you?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
I LOVE that all the aspect warriors have awesome abilities that suit them. The avatar makes units amazing.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »
I just bouht e codex today jn te uk. mch cheaper than at home. i agree with farseer jair about the aspect powers. i think the warp spiders 'flickerjump'is  imo the coolest. the fire dragon one is really great too making even min squad of them deadly to vehicles. i dont have any fragons thouh so meh. i do have a big unit of striking scorpions which got some really nice boosts. bot wit their aspect power which helps them get into conbat and their mandiblasters for when they are in combat.

I also really like what they did wih the hemlock wraithfigter giving it another level for free and giving it access to runes of battle! tons of stuff you can do with that since each spell doubles as a debuff. you would also get conceal for free for the 2+ jink save. also mindshock pods got arguably better and can do a lot of damage of you can work some pinning weapons into your list.

im sad to see the wave serpent's reign of terror come to an end but it is nice to hear eldar haters complain about somethjng else for a change. it also totally changes the face of eldar tournament armies.

obviously really happy about the wraith night. and the formation chart is super cool and i hope gw do it for future codices as well

Offline Brutoni

• Doom... Doom.... Doooooooom
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
I LOVE that all the aspect warriors have awesome abilities that suit them. The avatar makes units amazing.

Indeed.

Though no assault transport or open topped transport options was a downer. As is the power of jet bikes.

While certain aspects of the codex are brilliant it is also a real pain that some aspects are totally OP.

That said I'm looking forward to somehow putting together a Guardian warhost with Crimson death/Avenger shrine formations. Got to work out how to do it.

Avenger Shrine is pretty much awesome also. Improved BS avengers with leadership bonuses and a one-shot alpha strike option. Wonder if there is a way you can mix it with a 3 Falcon squadron.

Avengers are also very flexible.
Multi-wound Exarchs also excellent.

Offline Nythrulas

• Armies: Ulthwe
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
Seer Councils.

Eldritch Storm.

Runes of the Farseer.

Offline Ciliano

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »
GW managed to surprise me - 3 or 4 sentences about the minor Craftworlds at the overview page, well that was underwhelming.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
Got a game in with it today and I was thrilled with how it played. The Aspect Warriors are just so dang good. You don't need Wraithguard, or jetbikes to do the heavy lifting. The Aspect Warriors are nasty again.

Swooping Hawks were a real stand-out in todays game. For me they've graduated to auto-include. Phenomenal damage output against Guard, Tau, Orks et. al but the versatility of what they can do to flyers puts them totally over the top. I was able to keep mine off the board till my opponents flyers were forced off the board. I deepstruck them out of LOS in my opponents deployment zone waiting for the flyers to come on, ambushed and killed his Storm Raven. Pure Magic.

Also I think Baharroth and/or Autarch with wings+Banshee Mask, + Swooping Hawk exarch moving 18" a turn and then assaulting could be quite good.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »
Got a game in as well, took a full aspect army with Ra and a spider autarch, was very fun, all the new rules for aspects are amazing and make them all unique and fun to use.

My next game is going to be a mixxed list, aspects, bikes, seers etc.

I still don't think ill use my wraith units for a while, maybe my lord and my blades, but that would be it.
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:56:59 AM »
I'm sort of disappointed. Got the book yesterday and was looking forward to enjoy all the rich new fluff. Oh well... I'll admit I have not really read the book yet, especially not the rules but I'm severely disappointed with the amount of Fluff this book offers. I was hoping for pages upon pages of new background for each Craftworld but instead - continuing a sad trend - GW managed to fill this book with pointless imagery, even more meaningless miniature galleries and some rather wicked OP rules. Windrider Jetbikes? Dafuq?

Pages 58-77 are useless. Why do they do that? It's hard for me to describe the amount of let down I felt when I sifted through these pages.

GW also does not translate the english names of units or even the word "Craftworld" anymore it seems. While this is not a biggie for people who have some basic knowledge of the english language, it certainly kills the "flow" of reading through a book. It just sounds hilarious when you read a german book and every other word is in english.

Again, not judging the book for it's rules or balance but it certainly feels like GW is moving in a direction of which I'm not sure I want to go with them :(
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 05:34:31 AM »

GW also does not translate the english names of units or even the word "Craftworld" anymore it seems. While this is not a biggie for people who have some basic knowledge of the english language, it certainly kills the "flow" of reading through a book. It just sounds hilarious when you read a german book and every other word is in english.

Quite some truth in that. On the other hand, try reading a book about Marketing, its the same.

@ topic:
I like the Warhost. It is a nice way to get more "fluffy" armies on the table by offering boni.
The competitive gamers will likely go with CAD. Still more room for abuse there as the hosts have some serious tax.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »
Pages 58-77 are useless. Why do they do that? It's hard for me to describe the amount of let down I felt when I sifted through these pages.

No way! Besides the rules this was my favorite part of the book! I've spent years trying to figure out a marking system for both vehicles and infantry but have always put it off because I couldn't quite figure it out. For a long time collector with a ton of fully painted models creating distinct squad markings that show up on the tabletop can be pretty hard.

The info about faceplates indicating warhost, thus correlating to a specific Autarch was awesome! The info about stripes on their backpack vanes was cool as was the halved schemes, and various sleeve markings... particularly Lugganath whose guardians rock Corsair and Harlequin markings indicating alliegance to non-Craftworld powers. I thought that was fascinating. Also the camoflage patterns were really cool... the Warwalker in particular looked very neat. I haven't seen a camoflaged vehicle outside of Guard and Tau since Rogue Trader!

As for the fluff... I actually haven't gotten a chance to read it (only got the book friday) but honestly the tale of the Eldar has been re-told so many dang times I'm really not expecting much. I look to Black Library for new expansions of the fluff as well supplements like Iyanden, which while much criticized I actually enjoyed. 
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
I feel pretty mixed with this new codex. It does seem a bit like a Saim Hann love tribute as a great deal of the artwork and the majority of model photos are Saim Hann. I'm also with Katamari in that I'm disappointed with the lack of new fluff although there was a few new bits here and there in the aspect warrior profiles. The timeline seemed a bit small and pathetic, I would have much rather two or three pages detailing great battles than the coloured drawings. Or are they in there and I missed it?

Rules wise a lot seems awesome even down right dirty. Poor warlock councils seem to have taken the biggest hit at first glance by no longer having everyone take a power of their own and no access to a dedicated Wave Serpent any more.

Offline Cidias

• 2-3, Still learning
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
All in all I'm pretty happy with it. They balanced what needed to be balanced and while I did expect more actual craftworld fluff I like the art. The new detachments are going to require me to change my playstyle quite a bit (I used to run straight wraiths) but that's ok as there seem to be some real potential in the Aspects. The only thing I'm unhappy about rules wise is how little most of the points costs changed given the required size of the units in the detachments.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
Satisfied. To expensive. Probably my last one. Banshees better. ;}
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 01:52:08 PM »
I'm pretty happy with it overall. 

Rules:
The OP stuff is, in fact, pretty OP.  Fortunately, it's pretty easy to avoid taking wraith knights and scatter bikers (the only two really problematic units I've spotted so far).  5% of the units became too powerful, and the other 95% got some flavorful boosts that won't break the game.  There's nothing I'd find impossible to field now.

The formations are all really neat, but the detachments all require over a hundred dollars worth of models I don't have, so I probably won't get to benefit from the said detachment much. There's some controversy at my local store over whether or not I'm able to field the formations without taking the detachment. Any thoughts?

Fluff: 
I've read a lot of it before, but I appreciate what's there.  I could read a whole novel about each of the craftworlds, but finding out about things like the Morai-Heg's handmaidens or the lost Shining Spears Phoenix Lord (whom I will be statting up shortly) are fantastic.  The little stories sprinkled throughout and the fluff tied to the runes and color schemes is very cool, though most of the runes being variations on "Kurnous this," and "strike unexpectedly that" gets a *bit* old. I feel like the harlequin book had more fluff to it, even just regarding the various factions, but I like what we got here.  Still, it could have used more elaboration. Something like the Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue's raid timeline from the dark eldar book.

Photo Galley:
  Not a huge fan of these.  In the dark eldar one, there was at least a bit of cool captioning sprinkled through the images.  These are very well done images that inspire me to get an army together, but so are a lot of the images I can pull up on a Google search. 

Formatting: 
I'm really glad to see each unit type getting its own page for fluff again.  Still having fluff with the unit entries is nice, but giving full pages to the seers, various aspects, etc. is much appreciated.  Things are relatively easy to find in this format, and I suspect that will help as I start to get games in. 

Overall, a pretty good buy that will probably get more hate than it deserves. Play responsibly, folks.  :)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 04:04:20 PM »
Well on my end, I did not had much time to look at the fluff so i won't say anything even if from what i seems to have seen, there is not very much more than the old book, might be mitaking, so on this end it's a bit of a let down on this.

Next I love, I really love, the way they made all the units in the dex feel more fluffy in there personnal rule ! and that's something awesome ! The formation bonus and detachment bonus feels awesome to me. I mean that make the codex really good to me without having to take the CAD wich feels nice to me.

The detachment base requirements are just all too expensive to me right know need to buy around 60€ of minis wich is pretty much not possible for now.

I Love to see that my most loved unit crimson hunter, vyper and falcon will see some action in game as (well i need more but) feels really nice and should be clutch to my newly to come play style. :D 

@Wyldhunt from what i understood i don't think you can use formation out of our detachment. Would be op if not think about dire avenger shrine with objectif secured.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
I'm fine with everything except the warhost structure. I can understand Vypers being required for the windrider host, but all of them? Warlocks required for the windrider host, but not required for the storm guardian (AKA Ulthwe) host? Why have two core detachments be the SAME thing except different type of Guardians? That should have been one option with the choice of defender or storm or a mix (Even Ulthwe would still use some regular guardians). Walkers and support batteries on top are a bit taxing, even if the support batteries can be rather cheap points wise - this was just a total money grab for under used models. If I could get support batteries and Vypers from somewhere other than GW direct I wouldn't be as mad.

As far as fluff goes, I just see this section a little too mis-matched and not making a ton of sense.

Three Crimsons Hunters is a little too much for that formation. 0-3 like the Necron flyer formation would have been more sensible.

I love how all the aspects are quite a bit more powerful and useful now. They have fun flavorful special rules that fit them all nicely.

I dislike the Knight being part of the wraith host - it has it's own option for that already as up to 12 option. spirit seer and 2-3 units of wraithguard/blades would have been more sensible. Sure, throw in a wraithlord as 1-2/3.

Overall happy and tweaking and over tweaking my lists for a while before I start throwing some models down.

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »

@Wyldhunt from what i understood i don't think you can use formation out of our detachment. Would be op if not think about dire avenger shrine with objectif secured.

You can absolutely use them separate, but they'd never be part of a CAD and thus never get ObSec.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »
Heeee if you say so.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
Formations have dataslates of their own and can be taken on their own. However, they only get the special riles of their formation so they would not have the special rules from a CAD, or the guardian/windrider hosts.