News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your view of Punk  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
Re: Your view of Punk
« Reply #40 on: October 7, 2007, 05:01:11 AM »
The punk movement was a rebellion movement.
Punk today isn't what it was. The backlash is over, but the kids are still there. Just as angry. People confuse punk-then with punk-now.

This statement makes it pretty clear you're just basing things off the mainstream perspective.  Punk is still being made, it's still relevant.  It's important to remember though, that though much of punk is part of a rebellion movement, it doesn't mean the lyrics must be about rebellion.  It's much more in the attitude.  Even the music style may vary.

patti smith

Saw her on Wednesday night with A Silver Mt. Zion backing her up.  Best show I've ever seen.

Offline Cypher037

• Support your LGS! Don't buy online or from GWs.
« Reply #41 on: October 7, 2007, 07:24:03 AM »
This statement makes it pretty clear you're just basing things off the mainstream perspective.  Punk is still being made, it's still relevant.  It's important to remember though, that though much of punk is part of a rebellion movement, it doesn't mean the lyrics must be about rebellion.  It's much more in the attitude.  Even the music style may vary.
I resent that. I am very much a part of the current punk "scene" and my views come from inside punk not from mainstream perspective. I agree, punk is still alive and relevent.

Sorry, I may not have been clear; let me reiterate. Punk is still a rebellion. It's just not a backlash any more. You can only backlash against something for so long before it becomes ordinary lashing. I was just trying to emphasize that punk has changed. it has become more defined. It used to be that any kind of music that went against the grain was punk. If your music was loud, angry, or different it was punk. People didn't even know what punk was-- Blondie was a punk band! Bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash are no more punk to today's punks than Greenday. They denounced their punk status when they started making music for money instead of as a rebellion. They Sex Pistols announced that they toured with money as the primary objective. The Clash never tried to piss any body off. Rock the Casbah was designed to please.

The punk most people see is the commercial punk because, well, it's commercial. You only see real punk if you look for it and know how and where to look. This leads people to believe punk is what they've seen of it. Commercial and pointless. They compare this with what they've heard of punk --that it's a rebellion and counter culture-- and conclude that punk is dead.

Crass was a band that was truly punk. To give an example, Crass played a Rock Against Racism show. At the end of the show, when Crass was given their cut of the procedes, they refused and said "Give it to the cause". The manager of the show replied "This is the cause". It was the last RAR they ever played. Thats punk, not touring for cash. If any of you have even heard of Crass, please shout, I'll be impressed.

These days, it's very difficult to be punk just through attitude because most attitudes are accepted as OK in mainstream society. And because they're accepted, they're not rebelling and thus not punk.

-Leo
« Last Edit: October 7, 2007, 07:35:31 AM by Cypher037 »
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism."
- Hermann Goering (Nazi)

So it goes.

fnord

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #42 on: October 7, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »
Come on kiddies...

Technically punk is a "I don't care movement". If you really were punk you would'nt care about being part of the punk scene...

The irony of rebellion movements is that they tend to rebel together.

Technically the things that people rebelled against are gone, they just found new things to rebel against. So things like a certain war... Racism... a whole bunch of stuff. Plus there are post punk movement revivals in the form of bands like the Coral and Franz Ferdinand (the stylistic music of punk rather than the rebellion). There are also bands like the Libertines (okay no longer standing) Radiohead and so on that could be classed as punk on basis of message.

Hell radiohead's new album is "however much you want to pay for it".

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline Cypher037

• Support your LGS! Don't buy online or from GWs.
« Reply #43 on: October 7, 2007, 08:39:49 AM »
Technically punk is a "I don't care movement". If you really were punk you would'nt care about being part of the punk scene...

Punk isn't an "I don't care" movement at all. The people in punk might have an "I don't care" attitude, but thats just 'cause they think it's bad ass. Punk doesn't suffer from this nearly as much as Metal though.

In fact, if anything, Punk's the opposite. It's an "I care" movement. It says I care whats going on. I care that polotics are beslubbered up. I care for my fellows. I care about my voice.

Amongst my friends, to parody the "I don't care" elitist punks, we'll often have an exchange something like this:
Friend: I'm gunna get a soda, want one?
Me: Naw, I'm way too hardcore for soda.

-Leo
« Last Edit: October 8, 2007, 11:05:51 AM by Cypher037 »
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism."
- Hermann Goering (Nazi)

So it goes.

fnord

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #44 on: October 7, 2007, 05:31:34 PM »

Punk isn't an "I don't care" movement at all. The people in punk might have an "I don't care" attitude, but thats just 'cause they think it's bad ass. Punk doesn't suffer from this nearly as much as Metal though.

In fact, if anything, Punk's the opposite. It's an "I care" movement. It says I care whats going on. I care that polotics are beslubbered up. I care for my fellows. I care about my voice.

Amongst my friends, to parody the "I don't care" elitist punks, we'll often have an exchange something like this:
Friend: I'm gunna get a soda, want one?
Me: Naw, I way too hardcore for soda.

-Leo

*Psst*

You're trying too hard now. Quit while you're ahead.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #45 on: October 8, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
The topic is punk and not punk'd children. Stop it with the spam. Posts have been deleted.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline TheSurvivors

• Anime Freak... Meow.
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 07:14:46 AM »
to put it simpley, emo - cutting yourself + punk music = punk

This just shows how ignorant you are. Not all Emos cut themselves. In fact people assume your Emo if you do cut yourself when actually people who do self harm just have problems.

Anyway back on subject.

When I here Punk I think of... well Vibrant coloured mowhawks studs and rings all over the place and lots of Spikes. Of course when it comes to the music side of things the punksare less... punky? Around my area they listen more to a mixture or Rock, Indie and Emo... ALot of them even hate Green Day (Because Greenday DO Suck.  ;D) .

In my opinion Punk is just another Steretype people now fit into... And if you define your self as Punk or a punk who is part of a group of Punks your kinda of just being as sheepish as CHavs... And thats just not right.

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »
Punk is an attitude, a lifestyle, a genre of music, which was, in part, about being anti-commercial. 

Good, someone touched on this. Yes, its a lifestyle, problem is, people seem to think its just the look. Same goes for "emo", goth, skater and whatever. These things are all lifestyles, things that grow through your personalities, not things that you just put on and act like. That is what the main problem in our society right now, we are told that these personalities are something that you can put on to look cool, when they are really things that develope inside of you or you're born into, sort of like being homosexual, you are just born that way or you find out that that is just how you are, you generally have no say in it.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.