News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: paint cracking as it dries?  (Read 7844 times)

Offline stil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
paint cracking as it dries?
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
Hello people - this is my first post here ;D I found this cosy looking place after looking for tips on applying blood red

I'm still having some nasty issues with its consistency (always do!) I've painted an undercoat using successive layers of thinned white, and then gone over with thinned red in successive coats. Unfortunately some of it is cracking as it dries?! As in I can see tiny whites patterns emerge from what looked like a perfectly even coat. Also some of the paint is slightly cratered. The overall effect is very rough.  :-[

I'm not sure what's causing this. The model wasn't washed but was sprayed with a black base coat which came out nicely. Only thing I can think of is the weather? It's around 25'C here

Also, I can never seem to get the vibrant red I want :( Even over a nice white - it always dries to an off-red...

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Re: paint cracking as it dries?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:26:14 AM »
If you're using GW paint, my best guess is that the layer of paint on the surface is just too this overall.  Even if you put 20 thin layers, it's still a thick layer of paint and it will crack.  My suggestion is to use a "little" bit of astronomican grey foundation paint and skull white as a base (assuming it's a small area) and then use your thin layers of blood red.  You use less layers overall, thinning the overall layer of paint.  Now, if it's a completely red model, like blood angels marines, then white primer would do a better job.

My 2nd guess only applies to older molds pre-2002 where the amount of wax from the mold was pretty excessive.  This can loosen the bonding of your primer.

My last guess is you're just probably handling the model a little too rough from the sides that shifted the layer of paint.  Try not touching it at all.  After you finished the model, don't forget to add a coat of dullcoat for some form of protection. (others will say gloss coat then dullcoat).

Weather should not play such a large role.  I know, I had my models on extreme heats and colds in my car many times.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:34:28 AM »
A few things it might be, most have happened to me as well;
the coats of paint are too thick.
Your not letting the previous layer dry properly.
possibly dirt and oil residue on the model (but doesn't sound likely here).
The Chaos Gods have determined that this model will be cursed to "suck" (try burning a small mammal over the model before attempting anything else).
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline stil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
Hmmm, good points. Though it wasn't a thick layer when it cracked. The first layer cracked. :o And I'm not touching the model much as its blu-tacked to a paint pot.

Looks as though I should go shopping for that grey. I've only used one foundation paint - the ork shade - and it works briliantly :D

btw it's a Tau FW and I'm not sure of the date.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:29 AM »
That sounds odd. The paint is still good and not dried up in the pot?
You water down your paints?

My Blood Angels are painted over a black spray undercoat. I do a layer of Mechrite red before applying 3 thin layers of blood red. It comes out very even and bright.

Offline stil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:29:41 AM »
The paint is quite new. No drying in the pot. I used an 'egg' tray for mixing. There was more than enough paint mixed. It didn't run dry in the palette.

Could be that I haven't mixed the pot properly? I wonder if a tiny stainless nut in the pot would do the trick :)

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
May I ask a very stupid question. Do you prime you models? 

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
Could be that I haven't mixed the pot properly? I wonder if a tiny stainless nut in the pot would do the trick :)
might work (never thought of that actually) I usually just shake like I'm having a fit.
when you add water are you adding a tiny spot of washing liquid?
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »
The paint is too thick, I've never had paintcracks on any models not even the ones I speedpainted with fairly undiluted layers of paints.

Diluting and painting real thin layers should not leave cracks behind.

Using thin layers of foundation paints and then some thin layers of the paint, should not leave any of these cracks. With the foundation paint you won't have to do tons of layers like in the old days.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline stil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »
Skeeve: Primed with GW black spray

Alshroth: Yep, I used washing liquid. I had a glob of it in its own egg.

kharandhil: Ok, paints too thick... But it took 3 layers to get it opaque? :o How many do I need? :D

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »
I've no idea what it is.  You're using GW paints?  How much washing up liquid?  Anything else with the paint?  Is this just one model?  What type of model - plastic, metal, GW or another manufacturer?

It could be too thin if that's causing it to malform as it sets with the water evaporating too quickly, or maybe the washing up liquid (if you've added too much) or some other additive is drying at a different rate which causes the cracking.  If it's in a breezey area, maybe near air conditioning or a fan causing the paint to dry at an inconsistent rate.  Or if the location is too hot, or theres a move from extreme hot to cold is affecting the acrylic, but I wouldn't expect to see this over a short time frame ...
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
Best solution, go to a local GW or hobby shop and ask one of the red shirts to see what you did wrong.  They be more than happy to help you since helping a person on their hobby is like building up a loyal customer base (which actually works, but a lot of companies forgot about).

Honestly, everyone here is just working based upon your response and perception, which varies much differently than others.  What you thought was thinned, we may imagined it to our standards, but could possibly be thick.  Even if you show us pictures, we can't physically test out the consistency of the paint unless we have 1000 mile long arms.

Offline stil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
I hear you 8) Unfortunately there are no red shirts this side of the Cook Strait.

DAE: I think you're on to something. The drying was inconsistent with some spots taking over twice as long to dry. Either way I'm giving it another shot today. I'll keep you all informed and maybe get some pics up too :)