News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Walkers combat result  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Azgard

Walkers combat result
« on: November 1, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
When a walker looses combat does it take a moral test?
If it looses the moral test and has to flee from a unit that cannot harm it, can that unit kill it with a sweeping advance?

Context:
Marine tactical unit and a dreadnought charge my guardsmen.
Guardsmen kill the marine unit and win combat due to more wounds.
No damage to the dreadnought, the guardsmen cannot hurt it.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Walkers combat result
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
I was somewhat surprised that the walker rules don't cover this, the best I found is the general assaults verus vehicles rules which state that vehicles never take morale checks. The walker rules don't alter this so it would continue to apply.

In your example the marines would take a morale check, but the walker would ignore losing combat and stay fighting regardless of what the tactical marines do.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Azgard

« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
Ya I was expecting to see a rule saying that walkers do or do not take morale checks,
But I guess this is the best we get. Thank you for pointing out the vehicle morale rule.

Offline Ironclad

• We are the nothing.
  • Armies: Dark Angels
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
Generally the only time a walkers LD comes up is with the BA Furioso Dread for example in which it just uses it simply for rolling to use powers.  I know this isn't specific to the question and it had already been answered but I just wanted to add that in.
Hell follows behind me...

Offline Severice

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »
Walker's have had several different iterations on what to do with them in the 'results' phase of melee combat. At current they're basically fearless, but 'our weapons are useless' will get you out of the fight. Just do it on their turn not yours or you'll just get charged again.

Offline maturin

• A Yank in a strange land...
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
Walker's have had several different iterations on what to do with them in the 'results' phase of melee combat. At current they're basically fearless, but 'our weapons are useless' will get you out of the fight. Just do it on their turn not yours or you'll just get charged again.

Just remember you can only use that rule if you lose combat.  If combat's a tie, you're stuck.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Fearless units can't use it either.  They are stuck in until they get some help or get wiped out.   
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Azgard

« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. All good info.
It would seem that if you use the "out weapons are useless" rule, you also want to be reasonably certain that you don't fail your sweeping advance roll and get killed outright.