News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: starting guard but i need help with some parts....  (Read 928 times)

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
starting guard but i need help with some parts....
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:56:26 AM »
OK i was wondering about the infantry platoon mostly.

1. 1 infantry platoon is 1 troop choice? Meaning i would need 40 men minimum?
2.Advisors, do they attach to: command squad and everything else in your command platoon?
3. Then they go to infantry squads, iron fist squads and strom trooper squads in that order? or can i choose which?
4. I want to make an infantry heavy army (lotsa men), how many men should i use in a 1000pts game?
5. Can you help?
6. Should i swap my demonhunters codex for a guard one?

I really love guard with the platoons and stuff. :D

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: starting guard but i need help with some parts....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 03:04:06 AM »
An Infantry Platoon consists of a Platoon Command Squad, and anywhere between 2 and 5 10-man Infantry Squads, together that makes one troops choice at a minimum of 25 men.

2.Advisors, do they attach to: command squad and everything else in your command platoon?
I'm not sure what you mean, if you buy a Commissar, he attaches to the Command Squad itself.

3. Then they go to infantry squads, iron fist squads and strom trooper squads in that order? or can i choose which?
They go: Command Platoon, Infanty Platoon Command Squads, anywhere you like. Unless you take the Independant Commissars doctrine, but that's another story.

4. I want to make an infantry heavy army (lotsa men), how many men should i use in a 1000pts game?
As many as possible, obviously.

5. Can you help?
I think I just did, or did you mean about a list?

Yes, join us!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 03:06:28 AM by Khemri, the Laughing Man »

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:05:27 AM »
1. Yes, an infantry platoon is 1 Troops choice. A minimally small army could consist of:
two infantry platoons and the command platoon command squad: 55 men
an infantry platoon and Armoured Fist squad and the command platoon command squad: 40 men and a Chimera
an infantry platoon and conscript platoon and the command platoon command squad: 50 men
two Storm Troopers squad chosen as per the Grenadiers Doctrine and the command platoon command squad: 15 men

2. & 3. The Advisors rule on page 40 of your codex answers that question wonderfully.

4. I think you should be looking at a bare minimum of four infantry squads. Six if you mean what you say when you say "infantry heavy".

6. I wouldn't. It's useful to have the rules for other armies to hand. If you don't feel the same, by all means trade away.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:19 AM »
6. I wouldn't. It's useful to have the rules for other armies to hand. If you don't feel the same, by all means trade away.

I think he was being metaphorical.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:49 AM »

25 per platoon. Therefore 50 if you go for two platoons or 35 with an armoured fist squad just for troops.

No. Just the squad as everything else is a seperate unit.

If I recall correctly you get to choose once all available command squads are used up.

It depends, everyone has a different amount you just need to test it out and find your style. I have a list with 85 men in and thats with a large amount of plasma weapons and lascannons. Then again if you didn't have heavy weapons etc. it would be a lot cheaper. Plus, it all depends on how you want to play doctrines.

5. Can you help?

I hope I just did.

Well, if you play DemonHunters or want to use them as allies in a lsit in the near future it may not matter whether you just buy the guard codex. But, I recomend buying the guard codex an as possible.

Razyus

Edit: Beaten to it as usual
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 03:10:07 AM by Razyus »
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
I'm borrowing this guard codex and my friend is borrowing my demonhunters codex, i wont swap because the guard codex is in really bad condition.

I dont use docterines, and my usually opponent is dark angels....any suggestions?

i'll post an army list in the other forum once i have had some advice on what to use...thanks

- Alex

Can someone explain the remnants rule to me? i dont get it, is it just you can have an extra squad in your platoon at 6pts a man (even the sergent)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:56:38 PM by watty »

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
Can someone explain the remnants rule to me? i dont get it, is it just you can have an extra squad in your platoon at 6pts a man (even the sergent)

Yes, pretty much.  It allows you to field a squad of less than 10 men, but without a heavy weapon.  It can be quite handy to use as a mobile squad - it can serve as a speed bump, or an objective taker, or a distraction.  Great place to slip in a flamer - chances are your opponent won't shoot at such a small squad with no heavy weapon, so you are likely to get into range.

And yes, the sargeant is the same points as everyone else, but also has the same stats (but more weapon options).  If you want to make him a vet., you will of course need to pay the cost for that.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera