News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fluff speculation: Rise of the Primarch  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Fluff speculation: Rise of the Primarch
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
Unlike the other two Gathering Storm books which were quite apparent in how the fluff was going to change, Rise of the Primarch is the most up in the air and will have the largest impact, in my opinion.

I want to know what people are speculating will happen in the next rendition of the Gathering Storm. And I am not talking about the obvious stuff like Guilliman being revived and getting his hands on Cypher.  Let's look at the possible ramifications and see how close we can get to the truth when the book is released.

For myself, the biggest thing I can see happening is the Unforgiven going to war with the Sons of Ultramar.  Why, I hear you asking?  Well, maybe not asking because you can probably already figure it out.  Anyways, the information we have been given is that after Guilliman wakes up, Cypher asks for a ride to Terra, and the images they released show Cypher joined by several other Fallen.  So, right there you have another Chapter that has Cypher and friends willingly in their company.  The Dark Angels have made Templar Crusade fleets disappear for having one of the Fallen.  Do you really think that Dark Angels will allow the Ultramarines to have access to the physical representation of their shame?  Not freaking likely.

Because of the unusually close ties the Successor chapters have with their Founding chapter, the Unforgiven have often been accused of Legion building.  The Chapter Masters of the Successors, if fighting in the same campaign as the Dark Angels, will often defer to the Supreme Grand Master; and there is only one Supreme Grand Master in all of the Unforgiven chapters.

So, when I say that I have a feeling the Unforgiven will be going to war, I mean that Azrael will call all of the Sons of Caliban to his banner and he is going to lay the boots to the Segmentum Ultra - Primarch or not.

That's my biggest speculation about what is going to happen.  What does everyone else think will be going down?  Why does Cypher want to get to Terra so badly?  Why was Guilliman revived now?  So many questions... so few answers!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Fluff speculation: Rise of the Primarch
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Do you really think that Dark Angels will allow the Ultramarines to have access to the physical representation of their shame?  Not freaking likely.

Depends on the writer(s), tbh. We've seen dumber things.

As for consequences, I really wonder about how the Imperium is going to deal with a person who vividly remembers the Imperial Truth (although he probably also remember that it was bullamphetamine parrot), or at the very least probably has a big issue with how stagnated the Imperium is. He is such a massive figure that it would seem he could pose a credible threat to the current High Lords, and that's not mentioning that a lot of worlds might even find it dubious that this is the real deal after all. I mean, we have people in the real world who think the moon landings were a hoax, to some a sector governor in pacificus, this is much more hearsay than that.

On the other hand, they might just have Guilliman jump back into stasis after this whole event, making his activity a kind of parenthesis in modern imperial history, kinda like they did with Valten back in the day. Big fuss, then gone again. Though that would be amphetamine parrot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:51:56 AM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
The only thing I know, more or less for certain, is that the Ultramarines are going to kick somebody's ass. No way the golden boys of 40K get the Cadia or Biel-Tan treatment.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:21:27 PM »
Do you really think that Dark Angels will allow the Ultramarines to have access to the physical representation of their shame?  Not freaking likely.

Depends on the writer(s), tbh. We've seen dumber things.
True, but let's say it is a competent writer who understands the Dark Angels background.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:31:13 AM »
An Unfogiven - Ultramar conflict would be interesting, but I'm worried about how they'd resolve it. Cypher buggers off and it returns to a stalemate? Ultramar sacked and Unforgiven going rogue? Death of Guilliman?

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:41:06 AM »
For me the big curiosity in all of this is the relationship between Girlyman and Cypher. What did Cypher say to get Girlyman to trust him and not instantly crush his skull?
What did Cypher say to get Girlyman to take him to Terra of all places?
Has Cypher been completely honest with Girlyman?
Has Cypher told Girlyman about Jonson and Luther still being alive?
Will we find out Cyphers identity?

Too many questions!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:31:37 AM »
Its really hard to say... perhaps what they are going to do is just reveal the secret of the Fallen and dispense with that storyline once and for all. I know its blasphemy to most but I've never been into the whole Hunt for the Fallen aspect of the Dark Angels. I know its pretty much what defines them... but I've always been more interested in the idea that they were the 1st Legion of Space Marines and were the Emperor's personal army as they left Terra for the Crusade.

In fact I'm guessing/hoping that the Fallen storyline will at long last be resolved, so they can do something new with the Dark Angels.

If GW has proven anything with these books... is that they are looking to push things in a brand new direction, resolve old hangups and not just give new life to old story lines.

In Gathering Storm II, they resolved so many things... the whole deal with Y'riel and the soul-leeching of his spear, bringing Ynnead to life (so to speak), and in GS: I the Black Legion finally busting beyond the Cadian Gate.

So I'd love to see the Fallen storyline resolved... and I expect Guilliman to become the Regent of the Emperor or perhaps the new Warmaster... which I'd be fine with. I've always liked the Ultramarines and reading up on them over the past years their battle record is really impressive and I like their relationship with the rest of humanity.

So yeah... I'm expecting some good resolution to older storylines that haven't gone anyway in decades... which I'm totally onboard with.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 01:39:07 PM »
So I'd love to see the Fallen storyline resolved... and I expect Guilliman to become the Regent of the Emperor or perhaps the new Warmaster... which I'd be fine with. I've always liked the Ultramarines and reading up on them over the past years their battle record is really impressive and I like their relationship with the rest of humanity.

It could be interesting, but it seems to be a sizeable share of the fanbase 8or at least a very vocal minority) absolutely hate the Ultramarines, and are currently frothing at the mouth at this.

Also, secondly, I honestly dread putting a man of action at the head of the empire, as one of its defining features is its oppressive, byzantine stagnation.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
Well I think breaking that stagnation is what GW wants to do... they sort of broke the gridlock at Cadia allowing Chaos to become not just a possible threat, but an imminent threat that is now rampaging towards Terra.

The Eldar are no longer just farting around wondering about what they are gonna do to beat Slaanesh... they've got an actual plan in the form of a god who can potentially rival Slaanesh... and they are gonna now ally with the Imperials to seal the deal.

Having the principal faction (the Imperium) maintain that position of stagnation is impossible with the forward moving, goal oriented plotlines of everybody else... So that theme of the Imperium is probably going to come to its end. The sort of archaic, trans/post-human themes, the dystopia, soul crushing oppression... probably remaining. I'd imagine a more 30k, Horus-Heresy feel to the Imperium which I'm fine with.

Yeah I'm sure the haters out there are all raging about Guilliman being chosen for the role but what else is new? That loud clique of permanently dissatisfied 40k fans is constantly on duty to spearhead a backlash against everything that GW does. Of course there are reasonable people out there who dont like it either, and have good reasons not too. But in all seriousness of all the "surviving" eligble candidates he's probably the best... though a case could be made for the Lion. Corax? Russ? Khan? They are all great warriors, but not quite the leader type to lead the entirety of the Imperium. Vulkan would be decent... but doesn't quite have the star power or iconic place in the fluff to sort of suitably fill the role. So makes sense to me.

I for one am on board with it. I think the sort of grid-locked 40k universe has had its time... and a new more goal oriented approach for the factions is good. Especially when those goals seem actually attainable for all factions. Chaos on the footstep of Terra with a Primarch standing in their way, the Eldar having the means to potentially defeat Slaanesh...it doesnt shatter the feel of 40k, just makes things a bit more urgent, resolves some story lines and introduces new ones.

All in all, if they have a sort of Heresy-era vibe to the plot... where ancient wars are now thundering towards uncertain conclusions I'll embrace it
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2017, 05:26:15 AM »
Given that it was revealed in Angels of Caliban that Guilliman is the one breaking the Lion's sword due to the Lion's misconduct and shaming of himself I would guess that this would tie in with the Unforgiven angle of the 41st millennium, maybe Guilliman will be considered to be one that actually can offer forgiveness to the Dark Angels and their successors? After some fracas of course... ;)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
I want to know what people are speculating will happen in the next rendition of the Gathering Storm. And I am not talking about the obvious stuff like Guilliman being revived and getting his hands on Cypher.  Let's look at the possible ramifications and see how close we can get to the truth when the book is released.

Well the writing in the first book is barely YA standard so I wonder if the answer lies in the books titles. So far we have had a FRACTURE following a FALL so I wonder if the next step is a SPLINTer.

That is, I wonder if we are looking at a splintering of the Imperium at the end of this book. GW has seen how popular 30K is and I wonder if they have taken this opportunity to bring a little of that to 40K.

I think it is a given that Guilliman will be outraged at the religious aspect that has arisen around the Emperor and he will try in someway to dismantle that. This won't go down very well with a lot of people and GW has now got the setting for civil war.

I also think there might be surprise in store for Guilliman. If the rumours are true he has been told that he can never get out of his suit. The thought crossed my mind could the suit be powered by something nefarioous. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin