News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Campaign Croneworld Eldar  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
Campaign Croneworld Eldar
« on: March 20, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »
Hey guys, it's been a long time since i posted a thread, but i've brushed the dust off my Croneworld Eldar (samurai cronies), and am hitting up a tournament this weekend, so I figured I would share my list and take some pics to share :)

The tournament is the final event in a 2 month campaign the FLGS has been doing, so strategic benefits from our campaign territories are included in the tournament games. As I managed to take control of a Hive City last weekend, for the tournament my mean cronies will get +100pts to their army, I receive +1 to my dice roll to go first and for Reserves, and each game I will also get to give one unit a Special Rule for free. Sounds good! Games are 1250, but I get 1350:

Unagi Croneworld Eldar (1350) List 1

Farseer - Jetbike, Spirit Stone

10 Guardians
Wave Serpent - Lasers

3 Jetbikes
3 Jetbikes

7 Warp Spiders

Wraithknight *Warlord
3 War Walkers - Lasers, 1x Holo-Fields
5 Dark Reapers - starswarm & starshot missiles
Wave Serpent - Lasers

> This list sets up a brutal firebase of the serpents, reapers, and walkers, with the knight in cover keeping guard, the guardians in front as a screen, and the warp spiders behind cover to counter-attack. The jetbikes zip around the flanks to plink units or score objectives. The Farseer takes Summoning, then rolls on Telepathy once for Shrouded or Invisibility, failing which he takes Psychic Shriek. Then he rolls on Divination for Foreboding, Forewarning, or Perfect Timing, failing which he takes Prescience. I carry around a stack of old converted Storm Guardians that I use as Daemonettes for the summoning, which I try to deep strike as close to my opponents DZ as possible, and use to tie up his units -- its so much fun!

My consternation is the unit of war walkers -- they can throw down a lot of shots, but they die so easily too! Instead I might swap them out for spiders & a nightwing:

Farseer - Jetbike, Spirit Stone

10 Guardians
Wave Serpent - Lasers

3 Jetbikes - shuriken cannon
3 Jetbikes

7 Warp Spiders
Nightwing Interceptor

Wraithknight *Warlord
1 War Walker - Scatter Lasers
5 Dark Reapers - starswarm & starshot missiles
Wave Serpent - Lasers

Bearing in mind the Nightwing comes in on T2 on a 2+, it seems like it might be a more resilient, mobile army, with some more angles due to the flyer.

OK thanks for listening -- comments, questions, criticisms most welcome, and next week I will try and get some batreps up!

Cheers
Ibushi
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: Campaign Croneworld Eldar
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer the walkers to the flyer as they're more flexible in how you can deploy them. With your bonuses, you're all but guaranteed to get the flyer in turn 2, but I think I'd still prefer the walkers personally.  If you're worried about giving up first blood, just remember that you can outflank them, and you also have battle focus with which to hide them.

The farseer looks a bit fragile to me.  Have you considered grabbing the mantle for him?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:10:13 AM »
To add to Wyldhunt's, mix the weapons up on the WW, 2 scat las's are good but don't give the special to itself, star cannons for troupes or bright lances for tanks or missile launchers with flakk (this one for anti-air, eh, if ya know you're gonna need it). Big points sink but also worth it. I say this as I play a hunter most of the time in friendly games after I found out how devastating the WW's can be. As for the seer, mantle is great but failchios wings have saved mine a few times as well as that last minute objective taking especially with some jetbikes to run interference.. Good luck on your journey.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:33:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Regarding walker weapons, I always stick with 2x Lasers for maximum shots. With how much cover we play with, weight of fire has been most important.

The farseer is on a jetbike for the same reason you would take faolchu's wing. Mantle is a lot of points for a 1350 list, I've never needed it so far, and as the Wraithknight is the warlord, not the farseer, he is expendable to a degree anyway!

It is very tough to choose between the walkers and flyers, but I am leaning towards taking the nightwing and 1 walker. This is because a whole walker squad is a ton of points, but can barely handle one round of return fire. First Blood isn't the problem, it's just that I like to make my opponents really work to damage my units where possible, and War Walkers are just such easy targets.

The nightwing can take turns and turns of shooting and just shrug it off with 2+ jink, making the opponent essentially waste all those shots. Plus the added threat to Flyrants and flyers is a big bonus. Not even killing them, just the extra threat to them.

OK thanks for the feedback! Look forward to seeing how the games go, and will try to get some half decent pictures up!

ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »
Huuu that looks intresting :D i think the flyer would be my go and probably with th bike i know WW can be devestating but I don't like them much model with and to me filding one alone gives a meh fealling. Looking forward for the battle report ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
I like both lists... kinda Eldar classics with a 7th ed twist. I'd definitely rock the Nightwing. Mine has been an absolute all-star. 18 games and counting and its never died, and only failed to take down any flyer fielded against it twice. Awesome anti-infantry and very good anti-vehicle.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:23 PM »
Cheers Cavalier, these guys certainly fall into the classic Eldar category – my guardians and serpents have been rocking around since 1999 heh.

OK, on to some batreps!

First of all, great turnout (maxed out the venue with 12 players), and some fabulous armies – we were pushing to fit in 4 games in the time we had, so I didn't manage to get any photos of the other armies unfortunately. Overall was a very exciting and enjoyable time, but moved at quite the clip, so I’ll include what photos I can, but there were a lot that didn't pan out.

Secondly, every game was Maelstrom tactical escalation, where your number of tactical objectives increases with the turn number. So at the beginning you have 1, and at the end you have 6. We also played it that if your opponent has more points than you (due to campaign bonuses, i.e. 1250 vs 1350), you could have an extra card.

The list I started out with was:

Farseer – jetbike, spirit stone

10 Guardians
Wave Serpent – scatter lasers

3 jetbikes – shuriken cannon
3 jetbikes

7 Warp Spiders
Nightwing

Wraithknight
1 War Walker – scatter lasers
5 Dark Reapers – starshot missiles
Wave Serpent – scatter lasers

Game 1 – against Ryan’s Tyranids, a beautiful army and a real horde of critters:

Dakka Flyrant

3 Zoanthropes
2 Malanthropes (whatever gives Shrouded)
3 Hive Guard

20 Hormagaunts – poison
20 Hormagaunts – poison

2 Dakkafexes

Ryan wins roll for deployment (and first turn, gak), and also managed to roll the Warlord+3 units infiltrates Strategic Trait, which had me sweating. But he re-rolled it for -1 to opponent’s reserves. Fine by me!

Table was pretty empty, a bunker and some shipping crates in the corner of each DZ (mine on my right, his on my left – see pictures below).

Ryan puts all his critters down as close as he can, 12” in from the table edge, with the monsters in a Shrouded bubble behind. Because the dakkafexes, zoans, and hive guard were behind the critters, they would be unable to get into range Turn 1 so long as I deployed along my board edge – so I just lined all my troops along the back edge, from the right corner to the left. Wave Serpent, with Reapers embarked, on the far right, then Wave Serpent with Guardians left of them, Wraithknight in the middle with Warp Spiders, then War Walker, Farseer, and Jetbikes.

At this point I was really hoping to seize, so I could take out the malanthropes and probably hive guard right away through shooting, and follow up with the flyrant and dakkafexes. By that time the guants would be on me, but with those big threats eliminated I could sacrifice some units and shoot them off the table in the remaining 2-3 turns. But it would be mighty close. So I rolled to Seize back the Initiative and… failed to seize on a 1. With any luck he would make a mistake and I could take out the flyrant early instead.

Tyranids Turn 1

He moves everything forward as fast as possible, bringing his gaunts to almost the halfway line. His malanthropes got a bit left behind though. Then he flies his Tyrant all the over to the edge of my DZ on the right, to try and knock out my wave serpent with Dark Reapers inside. He does 1 hull point after Jinking and Night Fight. Also at this point I believe he got just in range to cast Warp Blast with his Zoanthropes, but I Denied with three 6’s, which was a huge stroke of luck.

Eldar Turn 1

Managed to draw tac. objective: kill a flying monstrous creature – ok then!

I drop my guardians and dark reapers out of their serpents on the right hand side, move my warp spiders over into range of the tyrant, and line up my other shooting from the left side of the board as well. Guardians shoot, and do 1 wound. Warp Spiders shoot, do 1 wound. Reaper Serpent shoots, does nothing, Guardian Serpent shoots and does 1 wound. Then the Dark Reapers fire 5 jink-ignoring Krak missiles, hit once, and take out the Flyrant for Slay the Warlord, First Blood, and my tac. obj. Phew!

On the left side of the board I moved my farseer up, summoned a unit of dark harlequins (OK, daemonettes. Croneworld elder, remember?) Which scattered forward, and then ran 9 inches to be 1” away from his gaunts, preventing them moving left. But the Seer also suffered Perils and forgot how to summon after that. I also realized he only had two sources of Synapse – the flyrant and the zoanthropes, so the wraithknight exploded one zoan, and the war walker shot down another.

T: 0
E: 3

Tyranids Turn 2

Draws secure the objective in my DZ and kill a flyer or something else he can’t quite get.

Everything moves forward again. Hive Guard put one hull point on a wave serpent, zoanthrope fails his psychic test, and the dakkafexes just remove the dark harlequins entirely.

Eldar Turn 2

Nightwing comes into play, and I draw secure objective over in the middle of the board just behind his gaunts, and manifest a psychic power.

Moving sees my jetbikes jump behind  the guants to set up an objective cap, my farseer jump forward to try and Psychic Shriek the malanthropes, and the serpents on the right move up to screen my infantry from a charge next turn. I also thought about moving my wraithknight up for a charge, but the sheer weight of poison attacks was too scary.

The Farseer then failed Psychic Shriek, but fortunately managed to get Prescience off on one of my squads, netting me a VP.

My guardians do a real number on the hormagaunts on the right, throwing a grenade and rolling pretty well to hit with everything – taking out 11. The Serpents manage to take out the Malanthopes pretty easily, the jetbikes and warp spiders on the left take out about 7-8 hormagaunts from the left squad, while the Nightwing destroys the last zoanthrope. The Wraithknight, Reapers, and maybe another serpent gang up on the carnifexen to down one of them with the last armour save. A really brutal round of shooting from the Croneworld Kin.

T: 0
E: 5

At this point Ryan concedes, and I pick up Linebreaker with my Farseer who turboboosted into the backfield.

This game had me sweating at the beginning, but after throwing away the Tyrant for no real gain, and drawing really difficult objectives, it was too much of a setback to come back from. With more terrain on the table, it could have been different, but it was virtually impossible to hide on this table.

After this game I also found out that each victory counted towards your campaign progress as well, so I managed to pick up a 3rd Manufactorum for +50pts. Also the tournament was being scored by VPs accumulated each game, rather than W/L/D, so next game I would be gunning to max out VPs rather than a tabling or concede. 

Eldar MVP for this game is hard to single out: the guardians really pulled their weight, taking a wound off the flyrant, and chewing up 11 gaunts. The reapers also rocked out, taking the last wound off the flyrant, and killing a fex. But really the whole army came together to take down each enemy element, no one unit stole the show.

Picture from the bottom of Turn 2: just a few gaunts, one carnifex, and the hive guard left. Flyrant and gribblies in top left are the dead pile.

View of Wave Serpents blocking charge against the gaunts. That space in front of the guardians used to be chock full of gaunts, but they got mowed down.

View from the left, you can see my jetbikes with shuriken cannon & lone war walker hanging in the corner sniping gribblies. Farseer boosted left behind the bunker.

Game 2 coming soon!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
Man i i don't believe i ever had seen your color scheme and it looks marvelous! the orange nids of your opponents looked pretty sweet aswell :)

That said, well, you got some pretty damn powerfull guardian in your army>< god bless the bladestorm rule :D I have to tell you i would had never won a game like this i think, your strategic move where on point and as far as i can tell you dictated the pace of the game wich is pretty nice to see.

i'm really intrested to see how you have done with the second match.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »
Appreciate the kind comments! Painting is always kind of WIP, but I'll try and get some photos of the whole army up after these batreps :) On to game 2!

Game 2 – against Gopaul’s IG Armoured Company, jeez

Vanquisher Tank Commander
Demolisher
4 Leman Russes
Hydra

That’s it.

Same mission, different table, very different opponent. Fortunately the table had a lot more terrain, and I won the roll-off for deployment. Taking the side with the best cover, I lined up my walkers (now 2 of them thanks to the +50pts), serpents, jetbikes, and wraithknight behind cover. The Spiders & Nightwing are coming in from Reserve.

For Psychic powers I managed to roll Shrouded on Telepathy, and got Prescience and Perfect Timing from Divination.

For IG deployment, they line up from left to right on the DZ line, with a Russ, Vanquisher, Demolisher, Russ, Hydra, Russ, Russ. 

Gopaul failed to Seize the Initiative, so I take first turn.

Eldar Turn 1

Objective: Capture objective 2 (in opponent’s DZ, behind 3 Russes).

Movement: send my suicide jetbikes into Gopaul’s DZ to take his objective, as he does not have objective secured.

My other units move up to get LOS while keeping in cover as much as possible, and my Farseer casts Shrouded to cover the Reapers and both Serpents.

On the right I put 1 HP on a russ, and destroy the Hydra for First Blood.

IG Turn 1

Gopaul moves up a bit, and orders Move, Move, Move! Meaning he can move after shooting I believe. He shoots one tank at the jetbikes, killing 2 (but they pass morale), the other leftmost tanks at my serpent, taking off 2 HP and stunning it, and then on the right he destroys one walker, thanks to a 5+ power field save, and kills a Reaper as well. A pretty decent round of shooting, but I’m glad my Serpent and Jetbikes just scraped through.

Gopaul’s objective was also to secure objective #2, which I was able to deny with my bikers.

E: 2
IG: 0
 Eldar Turn 2

Objectives: Destroy a unit with shooting, take objective 3 (behind cover on my side).

The nightwing comes in on the right flank, gunning for Russ side AV, and my spiders drop in behind another Russ on the right, in Gopaul’s DZ. Everything else moves up, pushing the right flank. The lone jetbiker turbo boosts back behind cover in my DZ.

My farseer manages to cast Shrouded again.

In shooting my Nightwing fails to get through, but my Spiders wreck a Russ, then run behind it. My wraithknight shoots and fails to destroy the rightmost Russ, but later charges and explodes it (killing one spider). Back in the middle my serpents put a glance or two on some side AV, but that’s it. Overall, two more russes down, and I cap my two objectives!

IG Turn 2

Gopaul continues to move up, and tries to shoot at the spiders and wraithknight, killing another spider. He also takes shots at the serpents again, but jink & shrouded prevents him taking that last HP. He manage to cap one objective for a point.

E: 4
IG: 1

Eldar Turn 3

With the rightmost Russes destroyed, I can push from the right with impunity as long as my Wraithknight stays alive.

Objectives: destroy a vehicle, cap objective 4 (in his DZ), and objective 3 (in my DZ).

Wraithknight moves into the middle to charge a Russ in centre board, while the spiders cap objective 4. The nightwing starts an attack run on the Vanquisher, and the serpents snipe side AV on the demolisher.

Psychic phase sees Shrouded go up again.

Serpents manage to take out the Demolisher (it had 1-2 HP left), the Nightwing fails to hurt the Vanquisher, and the Wraithknight explodes another Russ.

IG Turn 3

Objective: kill a flyer, kill a unit, and cap some objectives way out of range.

Gopaul moves his Vanquisher onto a Skyfire Nexus objective, and takes a lot of shots at the Nightwing, but the 2+ jinking is too much. His remaining battle tank actually decides to ram the last HP off my serpent, and is successful in destroying it! 10 Guardians bail out.

E: 7
IG: 2

Eldar Turn 4

At this point there are only 2 tanks left, and the wraithknight is in range to kill either, and I still have one mobile serpent.

For objectives I draw: kill enemy warlord, recon, cap ALL objectives, and destroy something in assault. Looks like the wraithknight is going to crump some vanquisher.

In order to cap all objectives, my units spread out and do so, but ignore the last Russ. Wraightknight moves up and explodes the Vanquisher for a lot of VP, and also caps the last objective.

IG Turn 4

Objectives: capture objectives, and kill a unit!

With one tank left, Gopaul is actually really enjoying the forging a narrative aspect of ramming my serpents to death, and he actually manages to destroy my other serpent with his hulking behemoth! He is then able to unload a battle cannon into the guardians which kills a few and makes them run away.

E:  16
IG: 3

Eldar Turn 5

At this point I draw 5 cards, all of which relate to capping objectives, so I just shuffle around to keep them all capped and my guys mostly in cover. One is also to get 1-3 units within 12” of his board edge, so I get that too. Rolling a 3 and a 2 for D3’s, I get a stack of VPs again, I think 8?

IG Turn 5

Gopaul continues to go crazy on the Guardians.

E: 24

Gopaul rolls to end the game, and it continues!

Eldar Turn 6

Draw 6 more objectives, and cap everything again. Rack up 7 points.

IG Turn 6

Nothing of note.

E: 31+Linebreaker

This game was a lot of fun and kind of ridiculous once Gopaul’s right flank fell. Also shooting 1-2 shots per unit into shrouded jinking wave serpents was very ineffective, but ramming them proved surprisingly effective!!

Eldar MVP goes to the Wraithknight for taking out 3-4 tanks by himself. Spiders also did really well, taking out 1 tank, putting HP on another, and capping several objectives early in the game.

Picture at end of Turn 2 I believe -- the Wraithknight just exploded and removed a Russ in CC on the far right, the spiders just glanced out a Russ, which they are now hiding behind, and Gopaul is moving up his 4 remaining tanks for the punishment.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »
well as I said before your color are really good. The balance between black and white is spot on and the purple/pink really clash with the black giving a really flashy effect, I love that ! super nice to see your armie again ^^.

Ahaha that game was really fun to read >< i guess that man did not expect you to run over him like this. 31pt + line breaker that's going to be a huge point boost in your next game isn't it ? I know you played them already but that must had a pretty huge impact i think.  It should have placed you really well in this tournament. Gotta say if wrathknight where not that expensive i would surely have one :D
Great battle report btw pretty fun to read.

Looking forward to see what you do next as you seemed on a roll that day / in that tournament.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »
Thanks! I wanted to do a scheme that looked colourful but kind of freaky, emphasizing the alien in Eldar.

Almost like camouflage and almost like decoration.

It's been raining here for a few days now, but once there is good light I will try and get some army photos up.

Here is an old photo of my dark harlequins back when they were WIP:

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »
Sorry that picture didnt work -- here is the link to the album: ELite Photos by PrinceIbushi | Photobucket

Anyway, on to Game 3!

Game 3 – Jeremy’s Eldar

Despite playing Eldar, or maybe because of it, my least favourite matchup is always Eldar. So here we are in game three against Jeremy’s Iyanden Eldar:

Spiritseer

5 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent: BL, Shuriken Cannon (ooh, 5th ed throwback?)

5 Wraithguard – d-scythes
Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers

3x3 Jetbikes with shuriken cannon

8 Dire Avengers

4 Dark Reapers
3 War Walkers: Scatter Laser/Starcannon

Mission is the same tactical escalation, but Jeremy starts with 2 tactical objectives to my one.

Jeremy wins roll-off for DZ and first turn. Table is very clear, with a village in his corner (my top left), and two buildings in my bottom left.  He deploys all his troops and walkers in the village out of LOS, with the serpents in the middle of the board in the open. Interesting.

On my side, one serpent goes behind a building on the far left, with the other behind the centre left one. Jetbikes squeeze in behind serpents, with farseer on the left board edge. Wraithknight sits behind the centre left serpent as well. Reapers are in their ride on the left, guardians on the right. Spiders & Nightwing in reserve, War Walkers outflanking. 

For Warlord Traits I get FnP 6+, while Jeremy’s Spiritseer re-rolls armour saves until failed.

Psychic powers I get Shrouded, Summon, and Prescience, while he has Quicken, Protect, and the Iyanden Primaris (battle focus).

I fail to Seize.

Craftworld Eldar Turn 1

Objective: Capture objective 3 (in the middle of the board).

He moves his serpents up 12”, squeezes his walkers in-between buildings on the left for a bead on my rightmost serpent, and moves the Reapers out to shoot my knight. His jetbikes boost onto objective 3 for the point.

In shooting, both of my serpents take 1 HP, and neither jinked. My knight takes 2 wounds, but gets one back with IWND (from my campaign bonus).  Could have been worse!

Croneworld Eldar Turn 1

Objective: capture objective 3 (in the middle of the board)

Tanks slightly reposition to draw a bead on the walkers on the left (he didn’t battle focus behind cover), and the serpents on the right. Reapers drop out on the left board edge to target the Fire Dragon serpent, while hiding behind the tank from return fire. Wraithknight sits tight. My jetbikes move up to cap objective 3 if I can clear it off with shooting.

Farseer moves up and summons a squad of dark harlequins in midfield, which then scatter far forwards and then run backwards to be near objective 3, right in the middle of the open. He then suffers Perils and forgets how to Summon again. Oops, haha.

I suddenly realize my jetbikes had moved in front of my reapers, giving his serpents a 4+ cover save without jinking, so I just boosted the bikes onto objective 3 instead of shooting with them. Oh well.

Shooting sees the Reapers annihilate the fire dragon serpent, also pinning the sad aspect warriors – effectively taking them out of the game due to positioning. Serpent on the right shoots down two war walkers, serpent on the left puts a HP on the Wraithguard serpent. Wraithknight puts another HP on the Wraithguard serpent.

No objectives for me, but I do get First Blood!

Eldar: 1
Crone Kin: 1

Craftworld Turn 2

Turn 2 sees Jeremy draw capture Objective 2 (in my DZ), and a couple of others I don’t recall. He promptly boosts the central bikers to cap that objective.

In the middle, the wraithguard and spiritseer drop out to hit the dark harlequins and jetbikes with their d-scythes, combining with dire avenger fire to eliminate all of them. Sad waste of a jetbike squad, but the summoned units have been great for soaking up attention, it has to be said.

Other shooting sees the Wraithknight take one more wound (down to 4 left), and a serpent take one more HP.

Croneworld Eldar Turn 2

Objectives: Issue a challenge to enemy character. Hmm.

Taking out the War Walkers and serpent made a big dent in Jeremy’s ranged firepower, and the rest of his shooting basically focused on the dark harlequins, so I’m feeling good about crippling his army at this point.

But then Nightwing fails to come in, the spiders fail to come in, and lastly the war walkers fail to come in. Three 1’s in a row! Oh well, we’ll work with what we have.

Guardians drop out of their serpent on the right, ready to mow down some jetbikes. Wraithknight moves up to shoot wraithguard. Thought about charging them, but the d-scythe overwatch is too scary! Farseer moves up to assault remaining war walker (3 attacks Armourbane should do it!), and reapers move around to take out Jeremy’s exposed reaper squad.

Shooting sees my first serpent take out his tank, the second serpent take out a jetbike squad, the guardians mow down a second jetbike squad, the wraithknight kills two wraithguard, and the reapers destroy their counterparts.

But then in assault the Farseer manages to take a starcannon shot from overwatch, fails his save, and gets doubled out! Gak! Oh well, at least he wasn’t the warlord… Should have just charged the jetbikes, not sure why I didn't.

Still no objectives for the croneworlders!

Eldar: 2
Crone Kin: 1

Craftworld Eldar Turn 3

Jeremy casts all of his spells on his wraithguard, which move up very fast towards my wraithknight (battle focus+fleet+3”, wow!), while his other units mostly sit around. His dragons are slowly moving up on the right now and suddenly with battle focus are in range of my wave serpent – that was unexpected!

Shooting sees the wraithguard fail to instagib the wraithkight, thankfully. War Walker is ineffective also. But the dragons destroy my serpent.

Eldar get Recon for objective, so win that. Maybe another one.

Croneworld Eldar Turn 3

Objectives: Kill enemy character (and issue challenge from last turn), and cause failed enemy morale check. 

Nightwing still fails to come on, but the spiders and war walkers do. Walkers creep on in my bottom left corner, while the spiders drop in right next to the wraithguard.

Shooting sees the wraithguard get taken down to 1 left plus spiritseer, the war walker is destroyed, and the dire avengers are annihilated by the reapers.  Guardians take out 3 fire dragons, and the nightwing takes out 2 of 3 jetbikes, but neither causes a failed morale check.

I decide not to shoot with my wraithknight, as the spiritseer is a little far away, and he could get instagibbed too. Jeremy fails to roll a 6 for d-scythe instant-death on two dice, and the wraithknight obliterates the spirit seer and wraithguard, gaining a good number of objectives this round, plus slay the warlord, putting the Croneworld kin solidly in the lead. 

Realizing we were out of time, the spiders then assault jumped 10” to get Linebreaker by 1”.

Craftworld: 5
Crone Kin: 7

This game easily could have gone south if Jeremy had been able to more effectively focus fire some of my units at the beginning of the game. As it was, he chipped away at them, but they were all fully fighting fit, while his big hitters got successively neutralized. Partly it was having just enough terrain in my DZ to gain cover saves from all his shooting, and partly it was deployment not allowing his forces to focus down mine.

Croneworld MVP: Wraithknight again! Killed a serpent, wraithguard, and spirit seer, plus he soaked up firepower every turn that could have damaged the wave serpents.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »

Jeremy casts all of his spells on his wraithguard, which move up very fast towards my wraithknight (battle focus+fleet+3”, wow!), while his other units mostly sit around. His dragons are slowly moving up on the right now and suddenly with battle focus are in range of my wave serpent – that was unexpected!

Please allow me to remind you that wraithguard are rather massive creature they do not have the slickness of eldar in movement. Therefore they can't use battle focus. yep your opponent amphetamine parrottd there may be not out of ill intention but he did it. or there is a rules in the Iyanden book (that i do not own) that state otherwise. ...  you got tricked there

Othere wise you say nightwing fail to come in but apparently he does damage during the turn did you missed a turn in the middle of this ? 

Nice battle report still i can tell there was some bad target priority choice on his part. yet your positionnig aswell seems to have been key.

looking forward to that last game battle report if i remember correctly there were  4 of those right ?

well man what you were trying to accomplish with you color theme really did work our pretty well.

Offline HeroZero

• 40K blog
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »
Grizzlykin,

The Iyanden Spiritseer primaris allows a wraith unit to battle focus. It replaces the runes of battle primaris. So all good.

Sounds like a great set of games over all.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
well then my bad i was kinda lost when i read battle focus in psy power...  then everything come into a sens great ty for the info :) will go to bed less stupid ;)

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 02:03:14 AM »
No worries Grizzly, I appreciate you catching irregularities as you see them though.

I was actually very surprised myself when he got off all the powers to give them a 2+ save, battle focus, fleet, and +3" on running -- too bad there was only 5 of them, right in front of a wraithknight...

Here is a photo from the end of my Turn 1 -- you can see his dragons out on the far right, and my group of dark harlequins and bikes way over on his side of the table. 2 of his walkers are shot down in between the buildings on the left, and his other units are mostly hiding behind there.

Post Merge: March 27, 2015, 03:45:18 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

OK onto the 4th and final game!

Game 4 against Sam's amazing thundercav space wolves.

The croneworld kin have squared up with Sam's thunderwolves before, and the first two turns were terrifying, but we pulled through. This time the two of us are totally exhausted from nonstop playing, and I have a significant number of extra advantages. So let's see how this goes!

I win roll for deployment zone, but the table is very even so it doesnt really matter. But it does mean i can take first turn, which is key against such a fast, hard-hitting army.

Warlord trait sees my wraithknight pick up a FnP 6+ bubble, not bad, although it has never saved anyone for me before. For psychic powers I try to get invisibility but just go with psychic shriek, and instead of getting perfect timing or forewarning i just take prescience. Plus summoning to put some speed bumps down.

For deployment, I put my army in two bunches, guardian serpent, 1x bikes, war walkers and wraithknight on the right, and reaper serpent, bikes, warp spiders and farseer on the left. Sam puts his thundercav unit behind a row of shipping containers on the right, and a squad of terminators on the left, with scouts and two marine squads holding objectives. He also has an assault cannon razorback covering the thunderwolves from the left.

Sam then rolls to seize the initiative, but does not go first. We had a laugh here about rolling to seize, getting the 6, but then not wanting to actually go first despite rolling, and whether you would then be rules-bound to go first anyway. I dont know! Anyway, the game begins.

Eldar Turn 1

Objectives: Capture obj. 2, in wolf DZ held by scouts and next to termies. I think not?

I shuffle some models, deploy the reapers in the second floor of a ruin on an objective, and roll up Targeting Relay which is pretty nice. Also this game the Reapers also benefit from Ignores Cover due to my campaign Command Bunker benefit, which is pretty nasty.

Psychic powers see my farseer cast prescience on the war walkers for some double pew pew.

In shooting, half of the scouts get taken out by the reaper wave serpent, the wraithknight obliterates the razorback (shooting from such a height it only had a 6+ from night fight), and the guardian serpent, walkers and reapers all go into the thunderwolves for 3 wounds (1 model removed).

Wolves Turn 1

Sam moves and runs all the wolves as fast as possible, and manages to kill one of his own guys with a plasma gun.

Eldar: 1 (First Blood)
Wolves: 0

Picture taken during Sam's turn 1:

Eldar Turn 2

Nightwing flies on and just does some vector dancer trickery to stay on my back board edge, facing the wolves.

Farseer brings in some Dark Harlequins who run up to block the thunderwolves. With the imminent demise of the scouts, I zip a unit of jetbikes up to nab their objective and tempt a sideways charge from the terminators, but meanwhile all my other units stay put.

Shooting sees another couple of dead thunderwolves, one dead terminator from the jump-shoot-jumping spiders, and the scouts are eliminated by the reaper serpent. High rolling for serpent shield shots is really rough on the wolves, and the reapers ignoring cover and re-rolling 1's to hit is brutal too. Not to mention prescience on the war walkers. Jetbikes claim objective 2 for 1 VP.

Wolves Turn 2

Because of the dark harlequins, the thunderwolves can't move very far, but they can definitely charge the harlies that's for sure. Sam decides to throw his termies in against the jetbikes as well, rather than moving towards my firebase, but they fail their charge through DT.

His stormwolf also comes in and decides to unload into the nightwing (which is why i bring it!), for no damage.

In assault, the summoned harlequins are totally destroyed, for no wounds in return.

Eldar: 2
Wolves: 0-1

Eldar Turn 3

The wraithknight moves up to pose a threat to the remaining thunderwolves (1-2 plus lord), and the nightwing scoots along my back board edge.

Serpents and reapers shoot into the stormwolf to take it down in a hail of cover-ignoring shooting, while spiders, jetbikes, and war walkers cause the terminators take a few casualties, and the thunderwolves are destroyed down to just the wolf lord. The wraithknight then instagibs him with a wraithcannnon, but we take it back so they can at least duke it out in combat as warlords should. Wraithlord instagibs the wolf lord again.

Wolves Turn 3

Not much Sam can do really, with his key unit smeared across centre board, and the terminators down to 1-2 models, but he trucks on.

Eldar: 4
Wolves: 1

Eldar Turn 4+

Seeing as the only thing able to hurt the wraithknight at this point is krak grenades, he just spends the next two turns pulling the legs off the pesky armoured mon-keigh who ruined his picnic on Croneworld Unagi.

MVP: Wraithknight for sure. Aced a razorback turn 1, doubled out a thunderwolf turn 2, took the warlord's head turn 3, and another squad a turn in both 4 and 5. What to say, this guy is a must-have. But the trick seems to be guarding him closely for turns 1-2, even 3, and then unleashing him like the fury of morai-heg herself.

Close runners up would be the dark reapers, who are really flexible now that they have slow and purposeful -- i love it! They started every game in their wave serpent, quickly deploying for best LOS while hiding from return fire to maximum effect. Choosing between starshot and starswarm missiles is amazing, but when they go for starshot i'll be sure to guide or prescience them every time in future. 4-5 jink-ignoring krak missiles will ruin a lot of days.

The warp spiders also continue to be a menace, i would say a unit even just of 5 is a must-have as well, but 7-8 seems to be a great number. They really can do anything, and make for a great screening unit too -- 3+ saves with hit and run, nice! Stand in front of my reapers with attached farseer please!

Last but certainly not least, I am pretty sold on the Nightwing. It has pretty decent shooting, and vector dancer is clutch, but most importantly, it is a crazy flying terminator, soaking up the shooting like it's nobody's business! Whoever gave it a 2+ was having a laugh, especially for such low points. Will include wherever possible.

++

In conclusion, the tournament was a blast, with a huge turnout of tyranids and eldar (3 of each in a 12 player tournament), and the rest mostly marines or IG tanks. My most feared matchup was actually the first one, as the speed and firepower of the Flyrant can devastate my key units turn and again, but fortunately Ryan made a crucial mistake in giving his warlord away -- he was much more careful with his flyrant in later games and did very well, overrunning the other eldar folks.

The croneworld eldar defended their grimy homeworld from the arrogant imperium, handsy eldar, and drooling tyranids to claim the day undefeated, and because of how many campaign points they racked up, manage to take the lead in the campaign as well.

Next year everyone gets to gang up my eldar to get the new campaign rolling, but the requirement is that to play on my territories you must have a top-knot.

Anyway, thanks for reading, it was a total blast playing in the campaign and the tournament, and now my croneworld eldar are warming up for some more competitive play around the PNW area, probably 1750-1850 range, so look out for some more batreps and tactical musings!

Cheers
Ibushi

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:45:18 AM by Ibushi »

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall