News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pts Imperial Guard list  (Read 2751 times)

Offline The Ecclesiarch

• Be Pure, Be Vigiliant, Obey!
  • Armies: Forces of the Imperium, Da Boyz, CHAOS.
2000 pts Imperial Guard list
« on: July 5, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
:D Hi!
I'm making a 2000 pts Imperial Guard list and I need some advice
So far this is my list

HQ
Company Command Squad: Commander with Bolt pistol & Power weapon. Autocannon, Flamer, and Vox caster
96 pts

Troops
Platoon Command Squad: Autocannon, Flamer, and Vox caster 50 pts 

Combined squad
30 Guardsman with 3 Flamers, 3 Heavy bolters, and a Vox caster, Sergeants have Boltguns
Joined by Commissar with Power weapon   
243pts     

Combined squad
30 Guardsman with 3 Flamers, 3 Heavy bolters, and a Vox caster, Sergeants have Boltguns
243pts     

10 Veterans with Carapace armour, 3 Meltaguns. Sergeant with Power weapon 120 pts
Chimera Transport with Heavy Flamer 65 pts

10 Veterans with Carapace armour, 3 Plasma guns. Sergeant with Power weapon 135 pts 

Heavy Support
Basilisk 125 pts

Hydra 70 pts 

Leman Russ Battle Tank with Plasma cannon sponsons 180 pts

Leman Russ Demolisher with Plasma cannon sponsons 200 pts

Leman Russ Demolisher with Plasma cannon sponsons 200 pts

I'm left with 158 pts to spend
I was thinking that perhaps I should take another Leman Russ? But not sure what variant/build? Any other suggestions are welcome.
Due to the way my Leman Russ tanks are built the Plasma cannons sponsons will have to stay :P
Thanks in advance for answering! :)

+++ Ecclesiastical Proverbs +++
Blasphemy cries out for purgation from the faithful.
Blessed are the war makers.
By Bolter and Flamer we purify the faithless.
Hate sanctifies faith.
Anger and Hatred are mankind's highest virtues.
Let he who would be without sin cast the first grenade.
To be bigoted is human, to be unrepentant of thy bigotry is divine.
Tolerance is ignorance.
+++ Scribe Jack Hanson, Terra +++

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: 2000 pts Imperial Guard list
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »
Hi!  Here's the advice that I can offer on your list.   :)

Your infantry element (the Company Command Squad and the two Infantry Platoons) are solid.  You've got your big block stubborn objective holders and officers to lead them.  Heavy Bolters sync well with lasguns in anti-infantry fire whilst autocannons will deal with light vehicles.  And flamers will deter or punish assaulting enemies.  Each one of the Platoon Command Squads can issue an order to their respective infantry block before enacting upon an order sent to them by the Company Command Squad, so you'll get a good use out of that vox network.

For the Veteran squads, I would actually ditch the Grenadier doctrine, and the power weapons for the Sgts.  I'd only consider the doctrine if I was running them on foot for some reason.  The Chimera will protect them good enough.  And if you have to use that sword then it means that the squad is already dead.  They just don't know it yet.  Ditching all that gear means you're up 60pts too, which can be put towards something more useful.

You asked if you should get another Leman Russ?  I say yes you should, at the cost of the Basilisk.  Make two squadrons of two out of them.  I've always found Basilisks too fragile and unwieldy to be that useful.  With the points from the other savings I suggested you'd have 185pts on top of the 158 you already have to spare.  That will buy you a lot of nice toys!

I will have to say this though; plasma cannons are a bad choice for the Ordinance packing Leman Russ variants.  You said that the plasma cannons have to stay.  What about the turret weapon?  Can you change that?  I think you'll be OK with them, but there are better combinations.

Also, I think you're lacking in long range anti-tank and anti-monster fire.  You have the Demolishers, but they're short ranged, and blast weapons can be unreliable.  And Mechanized Melta Vets are always a bit of a gamble.  I would consider getting a few lascannons into your list.  Since Heavy Weapon Squads on their own are terrible, I'd recommend Sentinels.

Finally, give your Commander Kurov's Aquila!  It might be expensive but it is almost always worth it.  Especially when you have lots of infantry, or a lot of plasma weaponry knocking about.  A re-roll is always useful.

I hope this advice helps you.  :)

« Last Edit: July 5, 2015, 08:47:46 AM by Skitarii Tangi »

Offline The Ecclesiarch

« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Thank you for your feedback Skitarri! I found it really helpful :D

I honestly don't think that I'll be able to free up enough points to get Kurov's Aquila for my Commander, although I could get more anti-monster & long ranged anti-tank firepower.

In light of your suggestions I thought instead of a full squad of Lascannon Sentinels I should take a Vendetta gunship (only 20 pts more for a bunch of Twin-Linked Lascannons)?
To deal with monstrous creatures I could take a Leman Russ Exterminator for the Exterminator Autocannon, with a Lascannon and Multi-melta sponsons so it's versatile enough to attack both monstrous creatures and armour... 

This is what I'd have

HQ
Company Command Squad: Commander with Bolt pistol & Power weapon. Autocannon, Flamer, and Vox caster
96 pts

Troops

Combined squad
243pts     

Combined squad
243pts     

10 Veterans with 3 Meltaguns 90 pts

10 Veterans with 3 Plasma guns 105 pts

Fast Attack
Vendetta gunship 170 pts

Heavy
Hydra 70 pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank with a Heavy flamer and Plasma cannons 180 pts

Leman Russ Demolisher with a Heavy flamer and Plasma cannons 200 pts

Leman Russ Demolisher with a Heavy flamer and Plasma cannons 200 pts

Leman Russ Exterminator with a Lascannon and Multi-Meltas 160 pts 

1987 pts

Will this be good enough?
« Last Edit: July 5, 2015, 11:36:14 AM by The Ecclesiarch »
Hate sanctifies faith.
Tolerance is ignorance.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2015, 12:20:03 PM »
I forgot about Vendettas.  They're better than sentinels. :P

Anyway, yes I think you'll do fine.  :)  Now you've got a flier and long range anti tank/monster capabilities.

For your tanks I'd pair the demolishers together and put the exterminator and regular russ together.

The only thing to watch out for is the general lack of speed the IG have.  But don't worry, that's what Forwards, For The Emperor is for. ;)

Offline The Ecclesiarch

« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »
Thanks for your help Skitarii ;D
Much appreciated :D
« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 07:46:07 AM by The Ecclesiarch »
Hate sanctifies faith.
Tolerance is ignorance.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2015, 09:17:54 AM »
If I might chime in here for a moment:

Heavy Bolters and Boltguns on Sergeants aren't really the best use of points. Heavy Bolters only do adequately against MEQs and can barely scratch vehicles. Unless you tend to play a lot of light infantry hordes and very few mechanized enemies, I wouldn't recommend bolters or heavy bolters at all.

For the points, try to squeeze in Autocannons. They do serviceably well against infantry (about as good against MEQ, actually, as heavy bolters) and, combined with Orders, are actually decent transport killers and can hassle medium armor. Better range, too.

Final point: why all the flamers?
Odds are, your guardsmen are going to be sitting in a big blob behind some cover (hopefully) and shooting away. The three flamers are an assault deterrent, yes? Again, unless you tend to face a lot of light infantry, they are probably an insufficient assault deterrent. Better to buy grenade launchers for the exact same points and up your firepower at range.

The place to put flamers is generally in Platoon HQs in Chimeras--four flamers in a unit makes a nice counter-assault punch. I can see you not wanting to do that with the way your army is set up, but I suspect that you are going to need some kind of counter-charge unit knocking around. 

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
@ Wyddr

I should have picked up on those issues yes, but I figured that The Ecclesiarch's models were already made up with those weapons.

@ The Ecclesiarch

You're very welcome and I'm happy to help.  :)

Offline The Ecclesiarch

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »
Wydrr thanks for your input

In light of your suggestion I do have enough spare bits to give my infantry squads Autocannons + Grenade launchers and have my Platoon Command squads with 3 Flamers and a Vox
So I'd have

Troops
Platoon Command Squad with 3 Flamers and Vox caster 50 pts

Combined squad
30 Guardsman with 3 Autocannons, 3 Grenade launchers, and a Vox caster, Sergeants have Boltguns
243pts     

Platoon Command Squad with 3 Flamers and a Vox caster 50 pts

Combined squad
30 Guardsman with 3 Autocannons, 3 Grenade Launchers, and a Vox caster, Sergeants have Boltguns
243pts   

My infantry command squads wouldn't have Chimeras but they'd be more in line with what you suggested
Would this be better?     
Hate sanctifies faith.
Tolerance is ignorance.

Offline Hamburgler Hill

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
For what it's worth - I run a very similar list to this. I run 2 40 man blocks with priests AC/GL loadout.
They're super flexible able to break down into speed bumps or absolutely devour anything but a determined heavy infantry close combat assault. With Forwards for the Emperor they're able to claim mid field objectives and still lay down a horrendous amount of firepower that again makes everything except TEQ's wither.
I back mine up with 3 Leman Russ and a vendetta plus another 2 squads of vets with lascannons in chimeras. First two turns the whole army blaps armor support then the infantry obey Stalins order 227 and take not one step backwards!
I find it pretty fun to play as well as being quite competitive for a single army codex with no allies that's got the raw end of 7th as bad as ours currently has. TL:DR So I'm saying I think the list works :) Hope that helps
The men from the 101st made 10 bloodied attempts for victory but all they got was a pile of burgers and a lawsuit from MacDonald's     Hamburglerhill

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi, I'm primarily an Eldar player, however my second army is an Imperial Guard force.

I'm not a fan of combined lists for the Guard, that one blob of Guardsmen, is too easy to crack, three smaller blobs, means that opposing squads have more targets. Also, that many models is a pain to try and keep in cover.

Here's an example, a War Walker squad can lay down 18 Shrunken Cannon shots for a minimal points cost (by comparison), that about a loss of 10 models.

I know, rock, paper, scissors right? However three squads of 10, I now have to survive three turns to remove the same guys.

Do you see what I mean? That one blob looks impressive, but the limitations are too great (that's the way I play).

Here's another angle, a squad of Banshees (make you ignore overwatch) will win the assault phase and then potentially sweeping advance the whole squad.

I'm curious to see how the list fared.