News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My first guard army, 1000 pts  (Read 352 times)

Offline Seyek

• Newest
My first guard army, 1000 pts
« on: October 1, 2007, 12:36:40 AM »
All comments, concerns, suggestions, are both welcome and wanted.

First off, I don't own any of the actual models yet, I'm going to go out and buy what I need after I've figured out a list, and I'll build onto that Well, I have a leman russ, but thats it. Also, I'm new to warhammer in general, and I've only played a couple of quick demo games thus far.

This army is meant to be a general purpose army, with no particular opponents in mind.

HQ:

Command Squad:

Senior Officer with carapace armour, bolt pistol, and power weapon
Medic
Standard Bearer
2x Grenade launchers
Commissar with a Bolt Pistol

Other HQ Units:

Mortar Support Squad
Ratling Squad (3x Ratlings)

Total Cost: 246 pts

Troops:

Command Squad:

Junior Officer with bolt pistol
Lascannon
Two guards with grenade launchers

Squad 1:

Sergeant with laspistol and close combat weapon
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher

Squad 2:

Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Troops 2:

Command Squad:

Junior Officer
Lascannon
2x Grenade Launchers

Squad 1:

Sergeant with laspistol, Close Combat Weapon
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher

Squad 2:

Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Fast Attack:

2x Sentinels, both with lascannon, two seperate one-sentinel squads

Heavy Support:

1x Leman Russ, with heavy bolter, and sponson heavy bolters

Reasoning for all this: Ratlings were thrown in due to extra points, mortars are for indrect fire support, the leman russ is there for, well, its a tank, its for blowing up everything, sentinels are tank hunters, command squads for my infantry platoons are intended for a more supportive role, primarily anti-armour, while being capable of reinforcing their infantry squads if needed. The heavy bolters and plasma guns are intended for anti-infantry, while the autocannons and grenade launchers are infantry to light/medium armour. I'm thinking this all makes sense, and to my understanding, both legal, and exactly 1000 points, but feel free to flame as needed.

Offline Fury

• Glory to the Dark Gods
Re: My first guard army, 1000 pts
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2007, 01:43:32 AM »
OK, here are my comments:

Your HQ doesn't seem to have a defined role. Take Iron discipline, it really is worth it. The medic isn't going to do much, and the Standard Bearer and Commisar do the same thing (+Ld) choose one. Mortars and ratlings...may be better choices here, like hvy bolter, auto/las, and plasma gunners. Your list in general lacks plasma gunners, having only 2, and you will need these against MEQ armies.

Troops. Fine as is, may want complementary weapons (auto/GL, las/plas, bolter/GL)

Sentinels in separate squads, good, but with lascannons, will be targets. Make sure they are able to do something useful before being destroyed.

Only one tank = fire magnet. OK if facing hordes, not so good if going against MEQs with lascannons in squads.

Overall, a pretty good list. Biggest concern is HQ, IMO. 
Ruinous Powers - My Chaos Space Marines Blog
http://ruinouspowers.blogspot.com

Offline Perigrine

Re: My first guard army, 1000 pts
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »
Id think about dropping the medic out right they really are over rated also I like the fluffiness of commisars but tend to shy away from the dudes who like to put bolt rounds through my officers head when i roll badly for morale. Id consider replacing the commissar with a priest which would let you use your HQ as a counter charge unit and who doesnt like rerolling misses?

As was suggested to me match up your heavy/special weapons pairing Grenade launchers with Las Cannon is kind of at 2 different purposes as the las cannon is wasted on firing at troops and the grenades wont scratch heavy armor.

1 tank in 1k points doesnt seem to bad to me it will get more attention but as long as you dont leave it somewhere to have pot shots taken at it too readily it should be ok I think.

I also just had a thought to save you a few points did you consider adding a AF squad as your second troop choice thus saving you having to buy a 3rd HQ?