News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 74893 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2017, 07:41:03 AM »
Hey Ynnead... looking very cool! Love the skull face... totally awesome!

Yeah as for the energy swirl... I definitely think you could stand to do go with something is NOT red. I always try to have a distinct batch of colors for energy effects on an army, that dont correspond to the principal colors of the army. For example... I wouldn't use red as an energy effect on my Eldar as the armor is already red. So I usually go with blues and occasionally orangey-yellow colors. I like to make a clear distinction purely through color between my armor, my cloths, weapons, and energy. Like my armor is red, my weapons are gold, and my energy effects are blue. I even like to color code my energy/weapon types... blue for lasers, green for poison, orange for plasma etc. I've found it really help the units standout on the tabletop and helps opponents identify non-standard units especially in a heavily kitbashed army.

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
Yeah as for the energy swirl... I definitely think you could stand to do go with something is NOT red. I always try to have a distinct batch of colors for energy effects on an army, that dont correspond to the principal colors of the army.

I see where you're going with that Cav. I also had totally forgotten that some of Ynnead's army now has red armour panels, thus taking the colour from a spot colour to a primary colour.

That said, I think the a smoke type effect where red is hinted at, rather than being the dominant colour, could work well. Red towards the Guardian, but working up to a grey or sepia towards the Yncarne. Then add small amounts (really small) of Baal Red wash into the 'recesses' of the vapour. Just enough to hint at red, without it overpowering.

It'll very much be about balance. Any colour can technically work with the smoke, but done with a heavy hand, it will look out of place. Done with finesse, it'll make the miniature pop amazingly.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2017, 02:09:26 PM »
@Looshkin- Hmmmm I guess I'd just want something a little more vivid. Ynnead's color scheme is very blended all the colors sort of bleed into each other and I definitely love that. It feels like a John Blanche painting. While I really like that... and while the smoke effect would play well that blended approach... for something as exotic as the Yncarne I'd just want something that sort of breaks from that with a really vivid color that just sort of jumps away from the palette as it stands. Like a really intense dark purple to warlock purple fade or something...

But then again maybe that doesnt suit Ynnead's style...I also have a really sort of old school approach, where I go max contrast with my Eldar... so it maybe its just my old school sensibilities. But that was just my first thought.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
@Looshkin- Hmmmm I guess I'd just want something a little more vivid. Ynnead's color scheme is very blended all the colors sort of bleed into each other and I definitely love that. It feels like a John Blanche painting. While I really like that... and while the smoke effect would play well that blended approach... for something as exotic as the Yncarne I'd just want something that sort of breaks from that with a really vivid color that just sort of jumps away from the palette as it stands. Like a really intense dark purple to warlock purple fade or something...

But then again maybe that doesnt suit Ynnead's style...I also have a really sort of old school approach, where I go max contrast with my Eldar... so it maybe its just my old school sensibilities. But that was just my first thought.

At the risk of us taking over Ynnead's thread  ;), I definitely get what you're describing. I think a slightly more delicate touch might be needed so that the transition from (Insert Colour) to the soft sepia of the model isn't too jarring.

I like a good painting debate though...it goes to prove that there is no 'right' with art, there are just different tastes!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I have been reading it I promise ;) just haven't replied as I was concrete-mixing all weekend :S

I must admit I did a slight double-take when you made the suggestion of something that's not red Cav ;) that'd be as if I've got more than 5 different pots of paint...or more than two colours on a single model! ;) great insight into how you plan your colours though, and it absolutely works for your guys :)

I really liked the idea of doing a fade from a bright red at the Guardian down to a sepia the closer it got to the Yncarne. I did about 4 or 5 test runs on various bits of spare swirly stuff and just flat-out could not get it to look how I wanted :S

Still, managed to incorporate some of the ideas you guys had :) specifically the subtle fade and red wash in the recesses.

You guys tried ;) one day I'll paint something that's not sepia and red. I promise...

Just thinking about it, what I've actually done is faded from quite a bright white at the Soulstone through to the sepia of the body colour (not sure how well the pics show that, or how well I've done it to be honest!). I suppose I could use that as pre-shading for a really light red wash of some sort. I'll do some test pieces :)

The other option is to continue the dark red wash I've done on the inner holes of the energy (which looks more prominent in real life) all around each contour so it sort of looks like it's backlit in red.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Looks good having it feed into the colour of the armour.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2017, 06:02:20 AM »
Glad you like it :)

As it is now, I'm slightly concerned that it all blends into one so the Yncarne doesn't really stand out much. However, I'm hoping that because all of my basing (and the Guardian) is in relatively rich colours then the Yncarne will contrast with her surroundings by being so washed out.

That's the plan anyway!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »
@Looshkin- Lol... yeah I know we are totally hijacking this thread! But I cant resist I find your idea really interesting... A little while after reading your reply I saw this: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1a_IXzeX69g/WMZPyz92eII/AAAAAAABNfg/-HLZUJkEqlM-cc-yPYTybqhQtpqhnTUUwCEw/s1600/20170304_113701.jpg And while its definitely NOT the the approach you recommended for the the energy fade, the smoke and fire palette reminded me of what you were talking about... and I was better able to visualize what you were describing. Also if you notice where the energy swirl meets the Yncarne their is this cool smokey fiery effect that really reminded me of what you were talking about. Definitely very cool! I was thinking Neverending Story with the Nothing and that big roiling cloud with thunder and lightening sort of storming inside... Anyway very cool... Hijacking over!

@Ynneadwraith- Definitely love the wraithbone look of the Yncarne... waaaay closer to what I'd imagine the Eldar God of the Dead's color scheme. But I do think a smokey grey for the energy would help differentiate the energy from the body of the Yncarne... in the link I posted above there's a dark fiery red energy swirl with dark smokey effects... if you sort of reversed that where it was a smokey cloud flecked with fire (particularly near the Guardian) I think it would look really good. I'm starting to pick up on what Loosh was describing... hopefully he'll see this and clarify. I hope we aren't making your head swirl with all these ideas! lol Definitely ignore my ramblings if I'm not getting what you (and Loosh) are going after! I dont want to annoy you lol!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »
Haha I don't mind the thread hijack :) it's really useful discussion for me!

I've seen that Yncarne before and it looks stunning. Really nice scheme :)

I definitely like the idea of differentiating the energy with a reddy colouration, and having it flecked with fire/bright parks of energy would look awesome but I have literally no idea how to do it and have it look good!

Like, I think I can picture what it should look like, but I've got no idea how to physically translate that into paint :S

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
I like it Ynnead. I would echo Cav's comment though, that the smoke could do with being made lighter closer to the Yncarne. At the moment they are very samey, lightening the smoke as it closes with the Yncarne would do wonders to break up the model a little whilst still giving it a cohesive look.

I think the addition of the red works really nicely. Closer to the guardian, you could add an incredibly thinned down wash on the surface of the smoke, and then reapply that layer a few times as it gets closer to the guardian.

That mini is shaping up tremendously well and I look forward to seeing it finished!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Aha now that I can do! I definitely get that making it as light near the Yncarne as it is near the Guardian would help differentiate from the body, and it's something I'm confident in being able to do well which is really nice on such a pricey (in terms of money and conversion time!) model.

I like the idea of the red wash closer to the Guardian. How would you go about it? I don't have any red washes myself, but I've been having good results mixing up some standard red paint with a good deal of Reikland Fleshshade so I can use that :)

Are you thinking selective red washes in the recesses, or run along the ridges so it sort of bleeds downwards while colouring the brighter edges too?

Thanks for the positive comments too guys! It's definitely motivating knowing I'm doing something right ;)

Edit: something I've just thought of. Would running a little edge-highlight of straight gloss look cool? Add a little bit of extra visual shine to it when it's hit by light, so it'd look even brighter on the edges than absolute white...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:43:48 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
I don't have any red washes myself, but I've been having good results mixing up some standard red paint with a good deal of Reikland Fleshshade so I can use that :)

Buy some damn washes!! You spend a fortune on conversions (which look amazing), now its time to start spending money on paints too! Give yourself the best chance of matching a great paint job to the model.

Are you thinking selective red washes in the recesses, or run along the ridges so it sort of bleeds downwards while colouring the brighter edges too?
Personally, I would do it a little like GW painted their Yncarne. It might not be for everyone, but it definitely adds visual pop. As such, I would take the thinnest wash possible and add it from about a 3rd of the way up the smoke (From the Guardian as the start, 1/3 towards the Yncarne, so that the bulk of it is pale). After that is dry, I'd add another layer from a few mm back. Then again and again, just building the colour each time. I'd also add more to the recesses in that section too. That should build up a nice, rich tone by the time you reach the 'point' of the smoke, where it erupts from the guardian.

That would be what I would do, but it's all personal preference. With what I'm suggesting, you should go from rich red, blending down to Sepia, then blending further into something very light at the Yncarne end. The hints of red that you have done so far look great. I think it's just about making the whole piece have a little more contrast.

But seriously, buy some paints!  ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
Haha yes sir! ;)

Thanks for the tips :) I'll give that a go on one of my remaining test pieces to see if I can get it right :) breaking new ground with this!

Edit: Right, I've got some Carroburg Crimson on the way, and also took the opportunity to pick up some Wild Rider red so you might even see another highlight or so crop up on my reds from time to time ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:20:09 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »
Edit: Right, I've got some Carroburg Crimson on the way, and also took the opportunity to pick up some Wild Rider red so you might even see another highlight or so crop up on my reds from time to time ;)

About beslubbering time Good man. Hopefully the added resources will help take your painting to another level.

;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
Well! In the absence of a red wash the Yncarne is done!

In addition to the basing and such, I've added a lot of light to the swirly stuff. I've also done edge-highlights in gloss which has worked really nicely (but doesn't come across in pictures). Basically it reflects light on the very tips making them appear even brighter than the white :)

The last pic really gets across what I wanted from it actually. Like a ghostly apparition :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »
Now I get what you were going for. A freaking ghost! Damn am I dense sometimes... I love it Ynnead! Totally inspired man... when I do mine I think I'm gonna have a go at doing it up in bone colors... though I still may rock some high contrast swirly colors for the energy.

Wow! Really, really nice Ynnead. I love the basing too. Overall phenomenal job, I'm really in love with it. Killer!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:01 AM »
Thanks man! I'm really glad you like her :) I was hoping that the richer colours of the basing would be the final piece in the puzzle to make her look ethereal compared to her surroundings.

After I'd posted this I put her down next to my Visarch and it really looked like I'd hoped compared to the rest of my army :) definitely light enough to stand out while using exactly the same colours ;)

Can't wait to see what you do with it! Bone coloured with a Cav-style splash of colour might jsut tip me over the edge to actually doing what Loosh suggests with all the washes :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:20:23 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
It's great Ynnead. The ethereal aspect of the model shines through. Also, what you have done with the base really compliments the mini and assuages any fears that I had that the base would be too big.

I do still feel that a bit more colour somewhere would help make her pop even more...but I'm a colour junkie that needs something popping on a model to really fall in love with it. I think it's due to all those garish colour schemes that I grew up with in the 80s and 90s!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »
The base and the model look fantastic but I find that I agree with Looshkin in that a bit of colour is needed. I really think it needs more of a separation between Ynnead and the swirly stuff.

Saying that I also wonder what your model would look like if lit a bit more.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
Thanks guys :)

I'm glad the basing sorted out the size of the base compared to the model, and that it looks ghostly which is what I was going for :)

Aha I see! While I do love a good crisp paintjob with vibrant colours, it's the more gritty washed-out grubby look of INQ28 style stuff that's really captured me painting-wise. I do like the idea of the really subtle red fade towards the Guardian though, but it'll take a lot of testing on spare bits of swirly stuff before I feel confident enough to try it on the Yncarne. Now that I've got it looking how I planned it'll be nerve-racking trying that out!

I do think you're right Alienscar that the distinction between the swirly stuff and the body doesn't look distinct in the pictures (especially on the second picture down as it's actually in the shadow of the arm). To be honest, that was sort of what I was aiming for as in my mind the Yncarne is formed entirely of that energy, so it makes eminent sense that it looks as if it's blending into the body colour.

Saying that, I do think that the photos don't quite capture the difference as it is subtle. To the naked eye, the swirly stuff is distinctly lighter than the body, and the gloss edge-highlight reflects the ambient light as you turn it around in your hand.

Ah, just thinking about it, I wonder if the same technique I used with my Harlequin of shining a spotlight onto the model would work nicely on this model. I'll give it a go, stand by!

Post Merge: March 17, 2017, 09:38:23 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Well, as I'd sort of predicted the additional light I had just whited it out. Still, managed to get this pretty neat shot out of it :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:38:24 AM by Ynneadwraith »