News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63391 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #180 on: March 8, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »
Wow, you are doing some seriously awesome work Ynnead!
I really love the choice of the Scourge heads, they actually really suit the Guardian torsos!
The Lelith model is pretty amazing as well to be honest, great job on the posing!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #181 on: March 8, 2017, 11:33:09 AM »
Man I feel really guilty now for banging on about the need to see WIP shots in everyone's blogs. Now that I have seen your WIP the amount of extra work it must have entailed must have really pissed you off.

The Lelith conversion is that good that if you hadn't pointed out that it was made from Lelith I would never have guessed.

...realise you've cut it wrong and the arm's much further back in its swing than you planned...

...look at it from a couple of angles and decide that it looks cool anyway so glue it in place ;)

Ha ha this is the best bit of the WIP. It is nice to see mistakes being made as it gives a better overall feel for the process

With a bit of work shaping and trialling the wedge you can get it to fit quite snugly which will prevent the need for GS.

This bit just blew me away. You must have the patience of a Saint.

Another brilliant fluff piece as well Yneeadwraith. I really like the way you didn't make the Astartes a push over.

Hope that was helpful :)

Way beyond helpful that was truly awesome.

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #182 on: March 9, 2017, 07:15:04 AM »
Thanks guys :) glad you like them!

I must admit, the posing on the Lelith model was a right PITA! Lots of gluing together, deciding I didn't like it, then sticking it back together again.

@Alienscar don't feel guilty about the WIP stuff :) I'm actually really enjoying doing it. I won't do it for everthing I put together, but it's not a problem :)

Oh I'm forever making mistakes ;) some of them work out, some don't, but you can usually make something work even if it doesn't work out how you'd planned. Plastic's a really forgiving material :)

Really glad you liked the fluff :) I really enjoyed writing that one. When I first started it Khali had a much easier time of things, but TBH I started rooting for the Astartes and that just won't do! The only way I felt I could make someone root for the psychotic faceless biologically engineered 4-limbed alien clone was to give her a really rough time of it!

That seemed to fit much better with the Astartes too :) he's also a biologically engineered killing machine, and he's much bigger and stronger. Not only that, but he's survived through lord knows how many of Khali's predecessors so he's got to be hard as nails ;)

Post Merge: March  9, 2017, 07:16:18 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I've got updates too! My Triumvirate arrived so rather than do anything I was meant to do last night I did this!

Uneven footsteps echoed out through the ruined and creeper-riddled hall. A clank of armour, and a far heavier thud of a wraithbone replacement, slightly too long to produce an even gait. The ancient High Lord of Selesti stalked through his domain. "I am Lord of this place you tread", he spoke with an authority born of millennia of rulership, his iron voice echoing through the chasms. "Lord since before your kind rose from the depths, and Lord long after they will be consigned to dust."

"Tremble before me, worm-kin. I have watched your upstart Gods rise, and I will watch as they fall. Meet me here, plaguebringer. Meet me here and test your resolve. Your Gods are watching. Do not disappoint."

Raodruin, Godborn, Allfather, Son of Asuryan. High Lord of Selesti. Ancient almost beyond comprehension, the High Lord of Selesti still remembers the great exodus and the Fall of his empire in the depths of his rheumy memories. Prior to the Fall, he was a member of an ancient, secretive and reviled sect of Eldar culture. Called Carrac Noill (lit. Soul Drinkers), these ancient beings practiced what amounts to vampirism. Murderously, they would prise the soul from another Eldar and encorporate it into their own. Through this, they would achieve a continuity of existence that even reincarnation could not promise. Clouded memories of the legends of his forebears told of how they were some of the earliest rulers of the ancient eldar, not long after Eldanesh himself, and how they were hunted and persecuted after their fall from grace. Whether this was truthful, or merely hubristic justification of their crimes was lost to the hazyness of countless millennia. Still, the vast experience accumulated through his unnaturally extended lifespan had seen his people through the great exodus, and the many trials they had endured in the years since the Fall. Surely that was atonement enough for his crimes. He was growing weary of life, he could feel it. Each night, the susserus of lost souls would get bolder. Each fresh hunt would sustain him that little less. Still, he thought, he must go on. Without his guidance Selesti would surely fall, and its people be swallowed whole by the aether. This is something he would never let come to pass. No matter the cost.

The minute I saw the Triumvirate box I knew that feathered cloak seems tailor-made for an Exodite lord :)

If anyone was wondering about the fluff (specifically the Soul Drinker part), it's based on one of my favourite little excerpts from one of the old codices:

There's so much information hinted at here in such a small little picture. The bit that set me thinking was the little rune down at the bottom right. Soul Drinker: Also scavengers, looters, parasites, vermin, dying, diabolical, daemonic and decaying. One of the most hideous rune-concepts in the Eldar language. It's connected to the Dark Eldar rune next to it, but not the same. It's also distinct (although similar) to the rune for Slaanesh.

I've always thought that having the 'Eldar Empire' as this unchanging monolithic structure existing for millions of years was unrealistic. Much more likely that there have been many, many different forms of Eldar civilisation throughout the millennia, much like humanity has gone through the DAoT, Age of Strife, the Great Crusade, and the final slow inexorable slide into ruin that's occurring in the year 40k. All of that history will have either been consigned to myth, or lost to the sands of time. Plus, this being the grimdark universe of 40k at least some of those forms of civilisation are going to be pretty nasty.

So, I came up with the idea that the concept of a 'Soul Drinker' pre-dated both Slaanesh and the Dark Eldar, and that it refers to one of these previous forms of Eldar civilisation, consigned to vague myth. Plus, it being a pretty revolting rune-concept, it probably refers to something that's both a bit nasty and importantly defeated. History is written by the victors, after all.

Drawing a bit on Fantasy Vampire Counts, I thought of the idea that these proto-soul drinkers first discovered that they could ingest another creature's soul just like the Dark Eldar do now, and used this newfound ability to rise to power over the early Eldar civilisation (possibly in the power vacuum caused by the death of Inriam the Young, last of the line of Eldanesh). However, they would have had to be deposed (probably violently) a long time before the Empire came about for their story to be forgotten in all but a single, reviled, rune-concept.

Thinking of what happens to entrenched regimes that get violently deposed, the survivors scatter to the winds and go into hiding. So, we get to the point where these 'soul drinkers' are a secretive subsect of Eldar society who are hunted by the rest of their culture, again drawing on the 'vampires and vampire hunters' trope. Raodruin is one of the descendants of this culture.

However, because 40k thrives on grey-areas, you can't have these kin-slaying murderous vampires be pure evil. The utter destruction of their civilisation would have effected them just as much as the Eldar that hunted them (if any believed they still existed outside of myth at that point). Most, I'd imagine, would be well entrenched in the debauchery that gripped the Empire. Some would likely find a home with the Dark Eldar (although I imagine that in a twist of fate, most of those would have come to a sticky end at the hands of the Haemonculi while they discovered the secrets of their soul-drinking abilities). Others I'd imagine would have the same foresight that others of their kind had, and deduce that if their civilisation died then they would die with it.

Raodruin is one of that latter group, and led the Selestini to their new home. In protecting his people he has found new purpose beyond simply self-preservation. However, this new conscience he has developed racks him with guilt, as in order to maintain the strength to protect his people he needs to hunt them down and consume their souls.

Apologies for the wall of text, but thought you might like to read some of the backstory :)

I've also got a little WIP process for anyone that's interested in the modelling :)

Take 1 standard Visarch kit

I've got a bit of a thing that HQs should be more physically imposing than the rank and file, and the easiest way to do this with Eldar models is to stick them on some ruins :) the rubble from the High Elf Lord kit should work nicely :)

Trimmed to size, and I'm sure that little bit left over will come in handy :)

Next up is the legs.

This is basically what I was going for. Clip off the Tree Revenant leg, and offer it up to the Visarch legs to see what sort of angle you need. Then, clip off the Visarch leg and discover that you've got the angle wrong again (noticing a trend?). It's always useful to cut off a little further up than you actually need so you've got some extra material to play with when (not if) you get it wrong.

After a bit of faffing about I got them to mate up neatly enough. So glued in place and onto the base, making sure that the back foot covers up the hole in the High Elf ruins.

Next up is the body :) here's the plan:

After some fairly fraught cutting and clipping, I managed to separate the little masks and the cloak intact (it's too cool of a bit to ruin, if I didn't want to keep it it would have been much easier to remove)

Onto the tabard.

The Visarch cloak is blowing to the left, but the tabard is blowing to the right. The only way you'd get that happening in real life is if the character is spinning his torso around, which doesn't quite fit with the relatively static pose of the Visarch. So, we cut it apart and repose it.

Much better!

Glue it in place, and I must admit I'm not sold. It adds a lot of visual bulk to the lower torso that just doesn't look right (you'll hear me witter on about 'visual bulk' quite a lot with the Triumvirate, although with a little modification they can be very delicate indeed).

To test out whether it'll still look ok, I started gluing together the rest of the model.

When I went to test it again, I accidentally pulled apart the tabard and thought it looked much better cut down! Result :)

Now, right arm (again, Tree Revenant):

I forgot to get a picture on the glaive arm, but this one should demonstrate. A lot of AoS stuff now has sculpted connection areas for arms, meaning that they naturally fall into a single pose on a sculpted to fit torso. This makes the models themselves a lot friendlier to put together for a novice, and thanks to the sheer variety of bits on AoS models you don't get monopose stuff, which is very impressive :)

Luckily, it means that there's excess plastic to play with so you can adjust the pose slightly when you cut it flat.

Now, if you're a clever person you'll spot the little nub on the Visarch torso that helps locate his arm in a monopose and clip it off before you stick everything together. Because on occasion I am categorically not a clever person, I spotted that and thought 'ah well, I'll deal with that later'. Nearly pushed the recently-stuck and still malleable model apart trying to get it flat.

And stuck!

It's at this point that the whole pose of the model starts to come to me. He'll be pointing at something with his glaive, looking in that direction too. One of the things I know from my psychology degree regarding body-language is that when people are concentrating on something, their leading foot (or the foot closest) tends to point in that direction too. Otherwise the pose tends to elicit a little 'well that dude looks slightly awkward' thought in the back of people's heads without them realising it. So, the tree revenant foot had to rotate slightly.

Much better :) luckily you can be pretty rough with the clippers on the tree revenant foot as it's full of odd little ridges anyway. This takes a little more carving to flow if you're doing it on a smooth Eldar leg.

Left arm!

Cut down to fit into the Visarch socket (which is half an arm bonded to the cloak).

And done :)

Then to test the head I'd originally planned him having, which came up a little short.

So, better idea to reuse the idea from Thaegr the Son of Kurnous. Note how the hair piece I picked is also blowing the same way as the cloak.

Roughly cut the antlers off longer than you need them to be.

Taking a sliver off each time you cut, and starting well in advance of where the final cut needs to be, start cutting a little 45 degree angle into the antlers. The reason you're starting so far back is because getting the angles similar enough not to look wonky when you stick the horns on is a little tricky, and too much cutting can result in some short antlers...

Head in place. It's also a good idea to model with a cup of tea (or a beer or glass of wine ;) ), as you need something to occupy yourself while the glue dries enough to keep the head still when you're posing the antlers.

First stab at getting the antlers in place.

Not so good. Looks more like insect mandibles than antlers. Cool, but not what I'm looking for. Because plastic's such a forgiving material to work with, they're easy to repose.

Much better!

Through this whole thing, I was never quite happy with the tabard. Either too much bulk or not enough. So, I clipped off some of the upper bits and stuck some little greebles from the Wood Elf Wild Rider kit on the bottom.

Little greebles like that are a godsend when you're converting. Things like Purity Seals for Imperial stuff, and various pouches and grenades can hide a multitude of sins in the 'gaps' department ;)

Lastly, I didn't thing the model needed it particularly, but I'd been dying to use some of the gribblies from the Tree Lord kit, so it got sprinkeld with gribblies :)

And then, best bit about it, I've got all of these bits left over for other conversion jobs! Plus the masks and tabard too :)

That one was a bit more involved than the 4-armed Bloodbride, but I HQs give you the opportunity to really go the extra mile as you only have to do one dude and not 10 of them!

« Last Edit: March 9, 2017, 07:16:28 AM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #183 on: March 9, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Fantastic step by step guide. It's great to see how you deal with 'mistakes' and how you reposition them. It's also wonderful to hear your thought process on which parts you're using and how you're going to position them.

I love the fluff as well. I really see a correlation between your vampiric eldar and dark eldar haemonculus.

Great stuff as always.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #184 on: March 9, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
Thanks man :) I'm actually really enjoying putting together the step-by-steps. Glad they're useful/interesting :)

Glad you like the fluff too :) I was going for something that could be a potential progenitor to both the Haemonculi, Phoenix Lords/Exarchs and Ynnari soul-shenanigans. Some sort of basic soul-transference and containment process that if taken down three different branches of a tech tree could produce each of those different technomancies.

I also quite like the duality that in his day Raodruin's Soul Drinker kin were reviled, yet in these strange and desperate times the Ynnari using basically the same process (stealing someone else's soul and using it for your own gain) are lauded as saviours :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #185 on: March 9, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
Not only that, but he's survived through lord knows how many of Khali's predecessors so he's got to be hard as nails ;)

Exactly, this is something that I think some GW writers miss when writing fluff. The DE fluff always makes them out to be bad asses killing everything in their path with barely a glance. It is the same with Space Marines. The problem with this approach is that they are only bad asses when they are the focus of the story. So a Marine is always an unbeatable killing machine in a Marine story and vice versa for the DE. This constant flip flop of bad assery makes for confusing fluff. Your fluff piece is definitely more "realistic".

Some would likely find a home with the Dark Eldar (although I imagine that in a twist of fate, most of those would have come to a sticky end at the hands of the Haemonculi while they discovered the secrets of their soul-drinking abilities).

Rather than come to a sticky end at the hands of the Haemonculi based on your brilliant bit of fluff writing I could very well believe that you have written the origin story of the Haemonucli. There is enough mystery surrounding the Haemies for your story to make perfect sense as to why the Haemies are the way that they are.

Otherwise the pose tends to elicit a little 'well that dude looks slightly awkward' thought in the back of people's heads without them realising it. So, the tree revenant foot had to rotate slightly.

(Image removed from quote.)

Beyond helpful yet again.

I know nothing about Exodites so please don't take this the wrong way but overall I think this conversion is too much Tree Revenant and not enough Eldar. It is awesome in its own right but it could easily fit into a Sylvaneth army.

On the subject of psychology and how a pose can subliminally effect someones thoughts. I feel that the models slight backwards tilt is at odds with the pointing lance. 
« Last Edit: March 9, 2017, 12:13:07 PM by Alienscar »
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #186 on: March 9, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
Yeah I always imagine that with all of the variety of different killing machines out there in the galaxy, whenever they meet up on roughly equal terms they're going to knock seven shades out of each other, and whoever's left is going to be bloodied and broken enough that they couldn't take on another. Glad it turned out realistic :)

You're right, it could well be the origins of the Haemis :) I think, like all the best 40k fluff, I'll leave it ambiguous. There's a hint of a possibility, but that's as certain as it gets ;)

Hmmm, I think you might be right with the 'too wood elf' comment. I had been wondering about the balance of bits (and specifically the bulkiness of the lower half). I think the tabard's the key. If I can find a decent cloth bit to replace it, and something Eldar-y on top, then I might swap it over. Perhaps a Wraithblade tabard? Might be too bulky again...

I'll do some tests and see what I prefer :)

As for the leaning back pose and pointing, I feel that lends itself to a sort of languid feel. More 'commanding his forces to attack' than 'pointing at his next victim', or 'urging his forces to charge this way'. Fits a bit better with his fluff as an Eldar Lord that's ancient beyond even his own recollection :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Well, I've exhausted my supply of procrastinating on adulting things and finished putting together my Yncarne :)

What a mission! Took enough brainpower working stuff out that I don't even have a coherent set of pics for a WIP process :S

Some highlights though:

1. Cutting off the right leg just above the knee to rotate it so it looks like she's walking forwards, but forget to hold the lower leg in place so it pings off into the aether. Spend 20 minutes tearing the room apart trying to find a bit it will cost £20 to replace, before realising that in a singular statement of solidarity it had ricocheted and landed in my bits box...
2. Spend 15 minutes reposing the right arm in various different ways because I wanted to make a right-handed scythe, but then decide that the sword looks cool so I'll keep that instead.
3. Spend 10 minutes carving a little half-teardrop (for the blank facemask) out of sprue because I'm a luddite when it comes to GS, and again forget to hold it in place so it pings off into that aether again. Spend 20 minutes tearing the room apart again to try and find this teeny tiny mote of plastic before saying 'sod this' and making another one.
4. Settling down for the long-haul holding this big ol' unbalanced model steady while the tiny little contact point between the foot and the base glues in place.

Not my most stress-free modelling experience! Definitely an exception though (don't want to put anyone off, I was massively ambitious with this...). Hope it was worth it!

Oh, and if anyone was wondering about whether Ynnead is a he or a she, she's definitely female. Model designers have particular...tenden cies...when sculpting female anatomy. No beardy model-designer (going on suspected demographics here) is going to put this much effort into the derriere of a bloke:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:10:52 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2017, 04:53:14 AM »
That's a really interesting slant on the Yncarne Ynnead. I like it, that's for sure, I'm just not sure I like it more than the original model. I love the fact that the energies are rushing out of a dead guardian, that part of the model is done extremely well. It also has such a wonderfully dynamic pose, where the original is actually very static, despite the implied movement going on.

I think what makes me a bit hesitant on this model is actually just the base size. It's a little bit massive for what is actually just a big miniature. I think the height of the GW mini makes a big base a necessity, but yours seems to be more base than mini.

I love it, don't get me wrong, I just think that there's just that little thing that is 'off' at the moment. If you could raise the level of the model, or maybe build up the base more, it would suit the big base. As is, it gets swamped; and that's detracting what is an incredibly well thought out and executed piece.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »
Thanks man :) I'm glad you like the bits I put the effort into! Constructive criticism is always welcome too :) the main reason I stuck with the base is the generally moving to a smaller base is a bit of a no-no for games, but considering that I've still yet to play one (and when I do I'm unlikely to use the Yncarne), I'll have a go at moving it to a smaller base :)

If that doesn't go so well (say, the next base size down isn't big enough to fit the base and the guardian on), would you think that adding another dead Guardian to the base, and maybe some more rune-inscribed rocks around would help?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
Each to their own I guess but I have to disagree with Looshkin as I find that the base barely registers itself with me. The rest of the conversion makes a lot sense and though a WIP would have been nice I/we can't expect that level of detail every time you show us a conversion. As it is your little write up is quite helpful.

I actually prefer your pose to GW as it projects less of a high fantasy vibe than the original.

I also prefer how your conversion makes the Yncarne the centre of attention rather than the swirling energy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:01:05 PM by Alienscar »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »
Thanks man :)

Even though the base isn't a problem for you, do you stil lthink it would be improved with another dead Guardian on the floor?

One of the things I was trying to get with this is a sense of gritty realism that the standard model (much though I like it) is missing slightly. One of the things that feels like is standing in the way of that in my mind is time. Specifically, how long do you think it takes the Yncarne to coalesce from the soulstuff released by a dead Guardian?

At the moment, it looks like it's near-instant. The Guardian's just been shot in the head, and before he hits the ground the Yncarne is there. Thinking about it, it would be more realistic for the Yncarne to have already mostly coalesced from the rest of the hapless Guardian's squad, with his death being the final piece of the puzzle.

Plus, the Yncarne manifests after a unit dies, rather than a model, so it would make sense for there to be other recently deceased dudes scattered around.

As for the Yncarne being the centre of attention I'm really glad that comes across :) one of the things that struck me when putting her together is that the Yncarne herself is a really beautiful model. For something twice the size of a regular Eldar it still manages to look delicate which is really impressive. Plus, there's neat little things you don't get from the picture (mainly because the swirly stuff gets in the way) like the fact that her back is arched backwards and twisted around slightly.

There's a lot of dynamism in the actual pose of the Yncarne herself that just doesn't show because of all the swirly soul gak. Not sure if it shows any better with less of it mind you, but hopefully it does :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
I don't know that adding another guardian is the answer. What you have is a very powerful, characterful model. I think that the addition of another dead Eldar would detract from the main focus of the mini.

Again, I have to say that I think that the piece is beautiful. I really do like it. Maybe just having the rest of the base based in a  normal way would help tie everything together. Or having a little more rune etched rubble off the periphery of the Yncarne's modelled base. Something to tie the plastic base to the rest.

It's just jarring to see the bare plastic of the base surrounding an epic little diorama!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »
Ah gotcha! So rather than 'more stuff to fill up the space' it needs a bit more of a gradual transition from rubble to base. That I definitely see now :)

I'll have a root through my Harlie sprues to see if there's any little rune-inscribed rubble bits left over (or maybe pinch some from the excess swirly stuff). If I stick that slightly past the edge of the existing rubble, and then when it's based it'll have sand bridging the two and the transition will be faded in slightly :)

Thanks for the ideas dude :)

Only a little update today. Weekends are for car work (or, in this case, block laying) and I've put off one too many things to get away with another evening of 40k :S

This little guy I'd half put together ages ago as a sort of test for another Autarch model. However, there's a little face on the Yncarne swirly stuff that's its own little separate bit you glue into the rest of the swirl. I thought it was a kickass bit, but couldn't think what to do with it at the time.

Then, I read in passing that the reason Altansar Eldar never show their faces is because they all look like exquisitely preserved corpses (it was Ynnead that protected them during their time in the warp, and apparently that has side-effects). Not only is that a kickass bit of fluff, but it also gave me a little lightbulb moment for the kickass floating face :)

So, here he is :)

I think I've decided on the name 'Idravain', an Altansari Autarch that acts as a bodyguard for my Ynnari Prophet (who I've decided will be called Khal'Fhirin, which means 'Herald of Truth').

Couple of thoughts on this guy.

First off is the whole prophet/bodyguard thing. Thinking about how the Eldar in general feel about symbolism, it would make sense that once the Ynnari split off into the webway to spread the word of Ynnead (during the final Gathering Storm book apparently), each little cell might gravitate towards a prophet/bodyguard model as a leadership structure. So, this guy's the reckless beatstick to Fhirin's reason :)

Second, I felt slightly like the Eldar got a bit of a free pass with Ynnead bringing them back from the dead. There has to be a catch. This is the 40k universe we're talking about. Don't trust a Death God bearing gifts as the saying goes ;)

So, I thought what about each time you're reborn you come back...changed...sl ightly. A little like the Stormcasts. Each time you come back, you come back as slightly less you. By the look of this guy's face (which being Altansari wasn't exactly easy on the eyes to begin with), you might even come back slightly more daemonic too...

Oh, and now the Ynnari are out in the open, he doesn't feel the need to hid his half-dead daemonic-looking face. In fact, the fact that he looks bl**dy terrifying comes in quite handy as a bodyguard...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:20:28 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
Hey bud all the new stuff is looking great! I really dig the Yncarne model (can we get a few closeups though?) and the Autarch looks really cool too. Looks almost like an old school Harlequin to me!

Like Loosh said, the base may be a bit big... but I still like it. The execution is unbelievable. Fantastic work man. I wouldn't have the guts to try it... thats for sure. Love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
Thanks man :)

Even though the base isn't a problem for you, do you stil lthink it would be improved with another dead Guardian on the floor?

No I don't think it would be improved by the addition of another body on the base. Less is more as they say. In this instance I agree with Looshkin in that the rubble ends too abruptly and the base would/will look better if it were filled up to its periphery. I actually think maybe some flock and static grass might do the job.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
@Alienscar Gotcha :) I've added in some more broken rubble cut from the spare swirly stuff so hopefully that's done the trick :) if not then perhaps the sand and grass tufts will help when the painting's done

@Cav Thanks man! I must admit the first cut was pretty nerve-racking. Definitely the priciest conversion to date :S I was cursing myself when her lower leg pinged off into the void!

Glad you like the Altansari dude too :)

@Everyone I swapped over the tabard on Raodruin back to the Visarch one and I think it looks better :) brings the balance of Wood Elf to Eldar to a bit of a better place :) plus, the little face armour plate is more than a little Greene Man-esque so I like that :)

I also took the opportunity to do a bit of a Rogue's Gallery of my exodite HQs :) I must admit I'm chuffed to bits with these guys! They really look to me like some eldar that walked into some mysterious forest just after the Fall and have emerged twisted in ways that would thoroughly disconcert your average craftworlder :)

I've also started work on painting my Yncarne :) most of her actual body is done now. The only bit that's unpainted on the body is the node of energy in her midriff. Close-up for you Cav ;)

I'm slightly unsure as to how to progress at this point actually. The base and the Guardian are pretty straight forwards, but I really don't know what I want from the swirly soulstuff. I was all set to paint it as a sort of washed-out red (not quite sure how yet), but seeing how ghostly the rest of her has turned out has kind of made me want to do it ghostly as well. Perhaps starting out a bright white where it exits the Guardian's soulstone and then working its way through to opacity the nearer it gets to the Yncarne.

I feel like with the standard model you have to paint the swirly stuff differently as there's so much of it she'll get lost in the middle if she's all the same colour, but mine uses maybe a fifth of the stuff you get in the box, and considering she's physically made of the stuff it would make sense to have her the same shade...

What do you think?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2017, 10:47:10 PM »
Wow very nice work. Love how the swirl is connected to the dead guardian, so its transferring into the Avatar.

I also quite like that its head looks more like it is still in the forming process. The model actually looks rather good without the side face armour and horn.

I also like that you've gotten around the neck being the glue point that's meant to hold the rest of the body.

Raodruin looks fantastic!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:43 AM »
Thanks man :) glad you like it!

Yeah I was in two minds about the horn, but I've decided I actually quite like it. Anything that makes it look more alien and creepy is good by me :) definitely looks good without though.

I have replaced the neck as a support point, but I've manged to replace it with three less suitable ones! It's supported by the tiptoes of the right foot, the swirly stuff coming off the right foot, and the swirly stuff as it touches the soulstone of the Guardian. It's relatively secure because of the triangulation between those points, but I wouldn't want to be too rough with it :S

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:54 AM »
That's shaping up really nicely Ynnead! I think that you can go for pretty much any colour you like with the swirl on energy. As your spot colour is red throughout the rest of your army, I think that red would work very well in this case and would help tie the whole army together.

As to how to do it, I would think a very rich red starting at the guardian (But try not to make it look like blood!), blending up to the sepia tones that your model employs as you progress towards the Yncarne. I wouldn't go all the way up to sepia though, as otherwise the effect of the energy will wash out and you'll lose definition of both smoke and also the Yncarne. I think going all the way up to a sepia with the tiniest amount of red paint or even red wash added would look great.

The key will be a gradual tranisition of colours. It won't be the easiest effect to achieve, but if you pull it off, it will look really striking.

Great work man, looking forward to seeing where you take it from here.